• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Aiii

So not worth it
MITB winner's gotta be
Cesaro. I don't know why Aiii thinks they'll give it to Sandow, he feels listless and lost when solo as compared to his tag work with Cordie Roats. They need to stick together, perfect pairing and they both likely won't main event for a long, long time.

BECAUSE REASONS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVGYGZKb00

Damien Sandow is the best thing ever.

Also, he's the current master of kayfabe. http://i.imgur.com/ruKpP.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I like him a lot, but he really doesn't stand out to me as someone who would have longevity near the main event at all. Diff'rent strokes. I just *ARMCHAIR BOOKER* don't feel he has anything to offer at the main event.

I think he's alot like characters like King Booker or Commisioner Regal were. I think those characters worked really well and Sandow has the snobish heel down perfectly. He's ready.

Update on the Briscoes situation;

PWTorch has learned that ROH World champion Jay Briscoe and his brother, Mark Briscoe, are gone from Ring of Honor for the foreseeable future. (The status of the ROH Title is unknown at this time.)

The Briscoes's contracts expired and will not be renewed at this time. The reason for the Briscoes not having their contracts renewed is because ROH booker Hunter Johnson books long-term and was booking under the impression that the Briscoes were finishing up with the company and heading to WWE after this weekend.

According to multiple sources, the decision was made by WWE to pull their contract offer in response to Jay's tweets in early May vowing to shoot anyone who teaches his children about marriage between same-sex couples.

Both Briscoes were written off television at Sunday's TV taping in Baltimore, Md. Jay's storyline injury is that he re-injured his shoulder and Mark's injury is that he suffered a "severe concussion." Despite Jay being written off TV, ROH kept the ROH Title on Jay, who defeated Matt Hardy with a small package in their title match taped for television this summer.

After the match, S.C.U.M. delivered a vicious-looking beat down on both Briscoes to write them off television.

The relationship between the Briscoes and ROH is still amicable, so it's a possibility they will return to ROH in the future.

Amazing that they had a WWE offer on the table, but screwed it up simply because Jay couldn't keep his homophobia in check. Jesus.

*edit, also, it seems weird to me that the long-term plan was for Jay to be written out as champion. I guess they were going to hold a tournament or something. Meh.

Aiii

So not worth it
Triple H offering contracts to every top indie talent on the planet isn't helping RoH much either though.

Its odd how ROH seems to be getting worse year on year, when it used to be the Indy saviour of wrestling.

It's hard for any promotion to go over a decade without some sort of decline - realistically, ROH had four GREAT years from 2003-2006 where they were easily the best product on the indies, but the cracks started to show in 2007 and each year since the promotion has become a little less special, to my mind. Perhaps things would have been different if they had the unlimited resources of TNA, but they expanded to a point where they were struggling to grow any further and ended up operating at a loss, so the company had to be sold and I don't ever see it recapturing the sort of popularity or acclaim it had in the mid-2000's.

Aiii said:
Triple H offering contracts to every top indie talent on the planet isn't helping RoH much either though.

Also, this. But the competition from DGUSA/EVOLVE hasn't helped matters - if ROH had never fired Gabe, if they'd never had a falling out with Dragon Gate, DGUSA & EVOLVE wouldn't exist and ROH would probably still be far and away the top dog on the indies. Having access to indy talent like Jon Moxley, Sami Callihan, Johnny Gargano, AR Fox, Ricochet & Uhaa Nation, who all at one point were or are signed to DGUSA, would have been a great help to ROH's product.

Kaladin

The fucked up thing is, ROH resolved the issue with Jay's tweet in house by having him apologize and donate pay from two of his shows. Sinclair must have been getting heat about it from somewhere though and pressured ROH to get rid of them anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Make a stupid tweet, deal with the repercussions. Nobody to blame but himself for that.

tumblr_mozrhsszQg1qdks18o1_400.gif

The ref who could beat D Brine

Enfinit

SmackDown MITB match looks
poopy. It has the potential to be awesome, but none of these characters have anything going for them, save for Ambrose. But there's no way he's going to win the briefcase while carrying the US title, and I doubt they're going to take the title off him before MITB. Does this mean he isn't going to defend the title during the PPV, or is he going to pull a Ziggler and work double matches?

I'd be ok with the briefcase going to Cody, Sandow, or Cesaro. Cody and Cesaro are certainly ready for it. Even though I really want him to, Sandow isn't ready to be in the main event picture. I can't see him carrying the WHC yet, despite it seeming ridiculously awesome with his character. I hope I eat my words and they give it to him.

For the Kayfabe Commentaries fans (not sure if there are any in this thread), they just released Timeline History of WCW 1996 with Kevin Sullivan. Good video going about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For the Kayfabe Commentaries fans (not sure if there are any in this thread), they just released Timeline History of WCW 1996 with Kevin Sullivan. Good video going about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Sounds awesome, I really love Kevin Sullivan and 96 was a special time.

McNei1y

SmackDown MITB match looks
poopy. It has the potential to be awesome, but none of these characters have anything going for them, save for Ambrose. But there's no way he's going to win the briefcase while carrying the US title, and I doubt they're going to take the title off him before MITB. Does this mean he isn't going to defend the title during the PPV, or is he going to pull a Ziggler and work double matches?

I'd be ok with the briefcase going to Cody, Sandow, or Cesaro. Cody and Cesaro are certainly ready for it. Even though I really want him to, Sandow isn't ready to be in the main event picture. I can't see him carrying the WHC yet, despite it seeming ridiculously awesome with his character. I hope I eat my words and they give it to him.

I like how the WWE is all face wrestlers and the WHC is all heel wrestlers. I think both matches have the right wrestlers. I'm really pumped they placed all of those guys into the WHC match. I think Cesaro might get the win.

I really hope Fandango does a leg drop from the ladder.

I will definitely purchase (watch somewhere) MITB!

Kaladin

MITB matches done right can be the most exciting matches of the year....last year's were not done right, this year should correct that.

gurudyne

Even though I really want him to, Sandow isn't ready to be in the main event picture. I can't see him carrying the WHC yet, despite it seeming ridiculously awesome with his character. I hope I eat my words and they give it to him.

No, the man needs a long reign as a non-jobbing IC champion first. Something about Sandow just screams IC Champ In Waiting. In a good way.

So I was thinking earlier, has the product actually got better since Cena regained the WWE title? it's like the belt forces Cena into a position where his sagas are actually very self contained and to the point, Cena overcomes challenger odds every month meanwhile the rest of the program can just carry on as is.
And there's something about someone going up against champion Cena that feels more high stakes meaning that if we ever do get the Bryan/Cena match up it would feel like a big deal.
Plus it actually puts the belt in the main event as it should be, otherwise Cena just takes the top spot anyway and makes the belt seem like an afterthought.

Regarding the SD MITB match,
this feels like crunch time for my man Barrett, if he doesn't get this then I have to assume WWE have given up on him, at least for the time being.

Kaladin

So I was thinking earlier, has the product actually got better since Cena regained the WWE title? it's like the belt forces Cena into a position where his sagas are actually very self contained and to the point, Cena overcomes challenger odds every month meanwhile the rest of the program can just carry on as is.
And there's something about someone going up against champion Cena that feels more high stakes meaning that if we ever do get the Bryan/Cena match up it would feel like a big deal.
Plus it actually puts the belt in the main event as it should be, otherwise Cena just takes the top spot anyway and makes the belt seem like an afterthought.

Regarding the SD MITB match,
this feels like crunch time for my man Barrett, if he doesn't get this then I have to assume WWE have given up on him, at least for the time being.

With Cena as champ, we don't have whatever random feud Cena finds himself inserted into overshadowing the championship anymore. I guess you can say that the product is better in that this is the way Cena should be used. He doesn't put over people in random feuds so he might as well be defending all comers and putting them over as legit challengers as best as he can while successfully defending the belt.

Aiii

So not worth it
The product is better in part because Cena doesn't do matches on TV anymore and is only featured for five or ten minutes on Raw tops now.

KissVibes

Banned
If you're Mark, do you hate the living shit out of Jay for blowing your WWE contract because he's too stupid to keep his backward ass thinking to himself?

gurudyne

With Cena as champ, we don't have whatever random feud Cena finds himself inserted into overshadowing the championship anymore. I guess you can say that the product is better in that this is the way Cena should be used. He doesn't put over people in random feuds so he might as well be defending all comers and putting them over as legit challengers as best as he can while successfully defending the belt.

You guys are making me dread Cena losing the belt. Stop it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're Mark, do you hate the living shit out of Jay for blowing your WWE contract because he's too stupid to keep his backward ass thinking to himself?

How do I put this ... If you're Mark, you were raised in the same household as Jay and probably looked up to him. Mark probably agrees with him.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't even take the Briscoe's seriously anymore. I can tolerate different worldviews and what not, but intolerance like that? Fuck that guy.

Exactly, sometimes the champ being here isn't all bad.

The product is better in part because Cena doesn't do matches on TV anymore and is only featured for five or ten minutes on Raw tops now.
They don't have to try and overcompensate for his lack of title status by making him dominate the show clearly.

You guys are making me dread Cena losing the belt. Stop it.
This is the dilemma we will face with every one of his main events from now on.

KissVibes

Banned
How do I put this ... If you're Mark, you were raised in the same household as Jay and probably looked up to him. Mark probably agrees with him.

Yeah, but Mark didn't run his mouth about it as the world champion of a company.

Even if I felt the same, I'd be fucking pissed about losing my shot in the WWE. They'll probably never get another one.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What's the likelihood of WWE offering a new contract if the Briscoe brothers agree to take sensitivty training?

Top Bottom