• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Does anyone buy Chikara being in the red since their Joshimania events didn't go over well in 2011? It must have been expensive to bring in all of that talent, but they haven't shown any signs of a company being in the red...just the opposite in fact. They've been expanding and having some great crowds and positive reactions to their product.

I always heard someone else put Joshimania together and was the money man. CHIKARA was asked to be involved for promotion and some talent. So if that's true then there's no way they could have been running in the red these last two years.

Well, I'm really tempted to watch all the CHIKARA events from 2002-2013 now.

I'm somewhat tempted to skip recapping Raw and Smackdown on my wrestling rewatch, but I'm not entirely sure.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Does that mean your grandma can't stand seeing Cena get beaten on, or that she thinks Cena is a big pussy?

This reminded me of a great story my Dad used to tell about my Grandmother, who I unfortunately never got a chance to meet. Dad said he was coming into the house one night from work and he hears my Grandma screaming like she was being killed. By the time he had made his way to her to find out what in the hell was going on, she hadn't stopped screaming, even to take a breath. So he gets to her, walks around her chair to see what evil had befallen her, and found out that she was watching wrestling on TV. You see, my Grandma was a Lou Thesz guy and, it turned out that, on that night on TV, Thesz was getting his ass handed to him by Gorgeous George, and my dear Grandmother just could not take it...

Apparently the whole Quack affair sleaze got started by CZW wrestler Devon Moore in a drunken youtube video that was quickly pulled down. I was wondering how the story got started without blogs or anything else reporting it before the IWC sunk its teeth into it.

somedevil

Raw Viewer Numbers:

8pm: 3.62
9pm: 3.62
10pm: 3.80

Avg: 3.68

The got destroyed by that game seven which did 11.57 million viewers with a 5.1 in 18-49 and even the post game show at 11:23 did 4.44 million viewers and a 2.1 18-49 when Raw only did 1.2-1.3 in 18-49.

They tried but they knew they would be killed by this game 7. WWE must be happy that the finals will not have a game on Monday.

jmdajr

This reminded me of a great story my Dad used to tell about my Grandmother, who I unfortunately never got a chance to meet. Dad said he was coming into the house one night from work and he hears my Grandma screaming like she was being killed. By the time he had made his way to her to find out what in the hell was going on, she hadn't stopped screaming, even to take a breath. So he gets to her, walks around her chair to see what evil had befallen her, and found out that she was watching wrestling on TV. You see, my Grandma was a Lou Thesz guy and, it turned out that, on that night on TV, Thesz was getting his ass handed to him by Gorgeous George, and my dear Grandmother just could not take it...

Lol, great story

Well, I'm really tempted to watch all the CHIKARA events from 2002-2013 now.

I'm somewhat tempted to skip recapping Raw and Smackdown on my wrestling rewatch, but I'm not entirely sure.

Watching all of Chikara would be an interesting project, but just keep in mind that first and foremost Chikara was mostly a promotion built around a wrestling school, so the quality of wrestling can be pretty iffy outside of their big shows.

Kaladin

Watching all of Chikara would be an interesting project, but just keep in mind that first and foremost Chikara was mostly a promotion built around a wrestling school, so the quality of wrestling can be pretty iffy outside of their big shows.

Even if the quality of wrestling is iffy, they do everything in their power to make the show a fun experience.

Aiii

So not worth it
All this Chikara stuff is blowing my mind. But if it is a work, it's certainly working.

In other good news:
- WWE World Heavyweight champion has been officially cleared to return to the ring after passing an imPACT concussion test backstage at this week’s RAW.

Ziggler has been out of action since he suffered a concussion after an errant kick by Jack Swagger at the May 7th SmackDown taping in Raleigh, NC. He appeared at this past weekend’s SmackDown events in Pennsylvania and New York, which hinted he may be returning soon.

He is scheduled to appear at tonight’s SmackDown tapings from Uniondale, Long Island, so it’s possible he’ll be wrestling on this Friday’s broadcast.

bangai-o

Banned
Does that mean your grandma can't stand seeing Cena get beaten on, or that she thinks Cena is a big pussy?

she thinks that every time Cena wrestles, he is getting beat up with chairs and outside the ring and stuff. She only likes wrestling if it stays inside the ring.

jmdajr

Raw Viewer Numbers:

8pm: 3.62
9pm: 3.62
10pm: 3.80

Avg: 3.68

The got destroyed by that game seven which did 11.57 million viewers with a 5.1 in 18-49 and even the post game show at 11:23 did 4.44 million viewers and a 2.1 18-49 when Raw only did 1.2-1.3 in 18-49.

They tried but they knew they would be killed by this game 7. WWE must be happy that the finals will not have a game on Monday.

Oh well. Still a good show!

strobogo

Banned
I'm watching El Hijo de Perfecto's redebut. God, "Hey" is hilarious. Also hilarious is HHH's bird legs. I didn't realize Curt Axis is actually bigger than HHH. He definitely doesn't look like it.

So I feel like that wasn't the first time this year that we got a Monday Night Raw that was totally Daniel Bryan-centered. How long will it be before he gets the WWE World Title customized with his House's sigil?

Kaladin

Ring of Honor (remember them?) announced 4 matches for their Best In The World 2013 iPPV June 22nd this week:

World Tag Team Title Match
reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) defend against C&C Wrestle Factory (Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander)

World TV Title Match
Matt Taven w/ Truth Martini defends against Jay Lethal

Special Challenge Match
“Unbreakable” Michael Elgin versus “The Sicilian Psychopath” Tommaso Ciampa

Grudge Match
“Buzzsaw” BJ Whitmer versus “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis

in addition to:

**MAIN EVENT - ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP**
Jay Briscoe vs Mark Briscoe

So it has become a two match card, Jay vs Mark and Elgin vs Ciampa. Tempted to get it just because Jay vs Mark will be all kinds of awesome.

DKehoe

Really wish I had been keeping up with Chikara but unfortunately I haven't watched any in a long time. Sounds like they are doing some interesting stuff. I hope it works out for them.

Some gifs from EVOLVE 22...

Andre Everett's springboard SSP:

iQAUeaoghkSZF.gif

AR Fox debuts a new finisher:

i8myESJmX62UF.gif

Fucking LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOO:

ieuvRXwBEIxlE.gif

Out of all of Samuray's crazy moves, I hope he keeps this one in WWE:

iowLLBPxVqpyQ.gif

Rising Sun:

ioAT4YkMVJXAR.gif

EITA's crazy moonsault from the balcony:

iiZXAqRxhR96F.gif

EITA & Tomahawk TT's Doomsday Lungblower:

iH2YZoWdrbKEv.gif

Ring of Honor (remember them?) announced 4 matches for their Best In The World 2013 iPPV June 22nd this week

So it has become a two match card, Jay vs Mark and Elgin vs Ciampa. Tempted to get it just because Jay vs Mark will be all kinds of awesome.

Yeah, I'll probably watch because of Jay vs Mark, although the tag title match could surprise a lot of people. Not watching live though, had too many problems with ROH's last iPPV.

I really want Del Sol to keep the Rising Sun, but I doubt he'll be able to do most of those moves with the WWE roster.

Yeah, no way someone like Orton takes the Rising Sun - he doesn't even seem to know how to take a suicide dive (as evidenced by the way he let Seth go head first into a barricade). The Yoshi Tonic might be viable for smaller opponents, but I'm guessing they'll mostly just have him do the handspring headscissors, followed by a 450.

Also, the Del Sol driver is obviously out, due to it being incredibly dumb;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2klSBmxGZTU

strobogo

Banned
I feel like people were too hard on The Spice Girls. They had a whole song telling you to fuck your friends, cum fast, and go down on them.

Some gifs from EVOLVE 22...

Andre Everett's springboard SSP:

iQAUeaoghkSZF.gif

AR Fox debuts a new finisher:

i8myESJmX62UF.gif

Fucking LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOO:

ieuvRXwBEIxlE.gif

Out of all of Samuray's crazy moves, I hope he keeps this one in WWE:

iowLLBPxVqpyQ.gif

Rising Sun:

ioAT4YkMVJXAR.gif

EITA's crazy moonsault from the balcony:

iiZXAqRxhR96F.gif

EITA & Tomahawk TT's Doomsday Lungblower:

iH2YZoWdrbKEv.gif

Everett and Strickland both looking good last weekend.

Fox's move looks better outside a gif. They both got up and it looked more like they were both going for something in real time.

Davis v Cage was very fun. Beautiful lariatoöøõ .

I already miss del sol. That match was awesome.

I talked to Eita about that moonsault. It was hilarious he acted out the fact that he couldn't bend his knees at the balcony so it was harder and he was nervous.

Eita and Tomahawk are very fun. Hope they keep coming back. I'm in the lung lower gif taking all the pictures.

strobogo

Banned
And isn't on TV. Is it even on at the same time as Raw?

I don't get why you guys don't realize why "it was a good show, why were the ratings bad?" is because the show the previous week sucked. That and big events happening elsewhere on Mondays.

The content and tone of Jericho's promos lately, combined with the declining quality of his in-ring work, is quickly making him unpleasant to watch. He's definite fast-forward material these days.

Kaladin

You know, I can't wait to see a shoot interview with someone like Eddie Kingston or Jigsaw who would surely know the truth behind what is going down in Chikara in about a year or two when this is all done.

bangai-o

Banned
The content and tone of Jericho's promos lately, combined with the declining quality of his in-ring work, is quickly making him unpleasant to watch. He's definite fast-forward material these days.

i disagree. Jericho's newest face turn is great. It is not what he already did in the past. His look, his demeanor, it is all experience. He is experienced above probably everyone on the roster currently. Now all he is doing is putting over younger talent.

..Indy wrestling is so god damn stupid sometimes oh my god

Yeah, yeah. Say what you will, but it was actually a great finish to the match - both guys were going all out and it was a real back and forth, with no one taking much of an advantage, then they both go for a springboard at the same time and, BAM. Finish out of nowhere. The crowd loved it.

mechashiva said:
Fox's move looks better outside a gif. They both got up and it looked more like they were both going for something in real time.

Definitely, it was a real surprise finish to a surprisingly great match that most (myself included) probably wrote off beforehand.

mechashiva said:
I talked to Eita about that moonsault. It was hilarious he acted out the fact that he couldn't bend his knees at the balcony so it was harder and he was nervous.

I'm not surprised! I couldn't believe he was going to moonsault off there, glad he wasn't hurt from it.

Heya. I lurk WrestleGAF for the most part, just stopping in to say this (probably against my better judgement).

The CHIKARA thing isn't a work. The conglomerate stuff and whatnot is, but the company shutting down and whatnot is not. A lot of my friends looking for bookings in wrestling isn't a work either.

Source: Me. Take it for what you will. If you have questions, feel free to ask, but I can't/won't answer them here. Just trying to save ya'll some time.

Interesting.

So pretty much what the rumours implied - real life stuff forcing CHIKARA to cease to exist as-is, with the long-running 'congolomerate that owns CHIKARA' storyline adapted to fit.

strobogo

Banned
Man, so here I am at this baptism class. Feel so awkward. I am going to be on Fire soon.

If McMahon didn't catch on fire in a church while damning Mr. Yahweh, you'll probably be good. But you should try to use Kane's powers while you're there.

Top Bottom