• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Jamie OD

2013 Best of the Super Juniors WINNER;

Sorry Sunny, but Prince Devitt won
!

http://i.imgur.com/FUqVq1v.jpg

Clip from his semi-final match;

https://vine.co/v/bLPrr9VZX0Z

Apparently Devitt & the BULLET CLUB were getting crazy heat in Korakuen Hall. 2nd time someone's had a clean sweep of their block & the finals (the first was Liger in 2001) and the 1st time someone's won the tournament while IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion. Wonder where they go from here - surely Devitt vacates the belt and joins the Heavyweight division
?

Devitt challenged Tanahashi to a match at Dominion.

Devitt challenged Tanahashi to a match at Dominion.

Excellent! So the DOMINION card is potentially looking something like this;

. IWGP Heavyweight Title Hardcore Match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Togi Makabe
. IWGP Intercontinental Title Match:
La Sombra (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura
?
. Special Singles Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto
. Special Singles Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt
. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Title 3-Way Match: TenKoji (c) vs K.E.S. vs CHAOS
. Tetsuya Naito Return Match: Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi
. NWA World Heavyweight Title Match:
Rob Conway (c) vs Manabu Nakanishi
. CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun:
Tomohiro Ishii vs Minoru Suzuki
?
. Random 6/8 man tag match (faces vs BULLET CLUB) or NEVER Title match?
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title Match: Forever Hooligans (c) vs Time Splitters?

Ithil

jJeGUmZ.png

This person is stupid.

Apparently Devitt & the BULLET CLUB were getting crazy heat in Korakuen Hall. 2nd time someone's had a clean sweep of their block & the finals (the first was Liger in 2001) and the 1st time someone's won the tournament while IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion. Wonder where they go from here - surely Devitt vacates the belt and joins the Heavyweight division
?

130606_kak_njpw_a_pict04.jpg

I've been wanting Devitt to move up to heavyweight since he started turning heel and taunting Tanahashi, so I'd love to see him move up. But I am surprised he won. I figured Taguchi would win, setting up the grudge match with Devitt, but I guess they're holding that off for now.

Bootaaay, do you know what the hell is up with the NJPW ustream page? I checked it out expecting it to be building up Dominion, what with it being less than 2 weeks away, but it's password protected at the moment.

I've been wanting Devitt to move up to heavyweight since he started turning heel and taunting Tanahashi, so I'd love to see him move up. But I am surprised he won. I figured Taguchi would win, setting up the grudge match with Devitt, but I guess they're holding that off for now.

Taguchi got injured in his match with Tiger Mask, otherwise it almost certainly would have been a Devitt vs Taguchi final - whether Devitt still would have won is another matter, but we're bound to see that Devitt vs Taguchi match some where down the line

LiquidSolid said:
Bootaaay, do you know what the hell is up with the NJPW ustream page? I checked it out expecting it to be building up Dominion, what with it being less than 2 weeks away, but it's password protected at the moment.

Yeah, it's usually like that right before they are getting ready to update it with the newest iPPV - also, I think they password protect it because they have footage for the press to view.

Taguchi got injured in his match with Tiger Mask, otherwise it almost certainly would have been a Devitt vs Taguchi final - whether Devitt still would have won is another matter, but we're bound to see that Devitt vs Taguchi match some where down the line

Yeah, it's usually like that right before they are getting ready to update it with the newest iPPV - also, I think they password protect it because they have footage for the press to view.

Cool, thanks. I've been out of the wrestling loop for most of the last week and have just been catching up now.

Came back just to see you guy's thoughts on the new consoles. I'm hoping we get gameplay of WWE 14 at e3 and also hope it's coming to PS4. I tried watching about 30 minutes of Raw a few weeks ago and nope, can't deal with this bullshit. I always knew the product sucked and had sucked for years, but it really took getting away from the product for awhile and coming back to realize just how bad it is and how stupid it was to waste several hours of my life each week on it. A 3 hour steaming pile of garbage every Monday night? No thanks.

DMczaf

Came back just to see you guy's thoughts on the new consoles. I'm hoping we get gameplay of WWE 14 at e3 and also hope it's coming to PS4. I tried watching about 30 minutes of Raw a few weeks ago and nope, can't deal with this bullshit. I always knew the product sucked and had sucked for years, but it really took getting away from the product for awhile and coming back to realize just how bad it is and how stupid it was to waste several hours of my life each week on it. A 3 hour steaming pile of garbage every Monday night? No thanks.

Bobo...

John Cena is hurt ;_;

The best thing about the new consoles for the wrestling games is that there won't be so much loading. At least, with 8GB there doesn't have to be. No guarantee that there won't be. :/

Bobo...

John Cena is hurt ;_;

Then why did he beat the shield in a 3 on 1 handicap match a few weeks ago? Why did he just fight Curt Axel(are they serious with this bullshit? pushing this guy has to be an inside joke) I read results once in awhile and am glad I am staying away. Cena will be there to the very end, injury or not. You still have another 10+ years of his bullshit coming so enjoy. The mid card still languishes in meaningless back and forth matches that serve no point. It's still a product aimed at little kids with little to no entertainment that can be derived for an adult viewer. Daniel Bryan or Dean Ambrose being entertaining for 2 minutes out of 3 hours does not make a worthwhile viewing experience.

Ithil

It's kind of shocking how little advancement there was in the ENTIRE PS3/360/Wii generation for the WWE games. Look at say, Wrestlemania X8 on Gamecube or Smackdown Just Bring it on PS2, then compare them to Day of Reckoning 2 or Smackdown vs RAW 2006, that's a hell of a lot of advancement over a generation.

This one was a real disappointment for wrestling games.

RBH

It's kind of shocking how little advancement there was in the ENTIRE PS3/360/Wii generation for the WWE games. Look at say, Wrestlemania X8 on Gamecube or Smackdown Just Bring it on PS2, then compare them to Day of Reckoning 2 or Smackdown vs RAW 2006, that's a hell of a lot of advancement over a generation.

Couldn't agree more.

DMczaf

Shut up! They are the Future Media Creators!

Yukes_logo_clear_bkg_white_tm.png

I blame Yukes. All Stars showed alot of promise and was probably the funnest wrestling game I played this generation. Hopefully this will be Yuke's last wrestling game and Take Two unveils a new next gen engine and new team making the game for next year.

Ithil

Yukes is definitely a lazy bunch these days, and the yearly schedule in an increasingly advanced industry (it might have worked for AKI doing N64 games, not in 2013) ensured little to no advancement. Really, what has happened in WWE games since Smackdown vs RAW 2006? They have sweat on the models now?

We're still at 6 men in the ring (since 1999!), PS1 animations, PS2 era facial animations, absolutely barebones looking arenas (where's all the stuff at ringside? Why is it all so empty?), Jurassic Park Trespasser physics, giant floating belts from the Triassic period, no animated hair or clothes...etc.

Once upon a time wrestling games were actually a great showcase of visuals for a console. Day of Reckoning 2 was one of the GC's top titles for detailed visuals.

Where's 8-10 men in the ring? LA Noire type facial captures? Huge, interactive arenas? Don't tell me the PS3/360 wasn't capable, Yukes.

Aiii

So not worth it
This is the last Yukes game anyways, they're being "absorbed" into Take Two after 14, so thank god for that.

Yukes is definitely a lazy bunch these days, and the yearly schedule in an increasingly advanced industry (it might have worked for AKI doing N64 games, not in 2013) ensured little to no advancement. Really, what has happened in WWE games since Smackdown vs RAW 2006? They have sweat on the models now?

We're still at 6 men in the ring (since 1999!), PS1 animations, PS2 era facial animations, absolutely barebones looking arenas (where's all the stuff at ringside? Why is it all so empty?), Jurassic Park Trespasser physics, giant floating belts from the Triassic period, no animated hair or clothes...etc.

Once upon a time wrestling games were actually a great showcase of visuals for a console. Day of Reckoning 2 was one of the GC's top titles for detailed visuals.

Where's 8-10 men in the ring? LA Noire type facial captures? Huge, interactive arenas? Don't tell me the PS3/360 wasn't capable, Yukes.

Wrestling games have actually regressed under Yukes since the PS2 era. Remember all the different modes and match types they used to have? You could fight almost anywhere. An American team need to take over development of the title now as Yukes just can't cut it. You can see the difference in All Stars vs the Smackdown series. Hopefully with PS4 we see huge improvements graphically in the wrestling genre. Wrestlers should have free flowing hair, you should be able to fight in the crowd, there should be seemless transitions without loading between areas you are fighting in if you decide to go backstage, and of course physics need to improve dramatically as well.

Don't blame Yukes, blame the droves of fans that continued to purchase WWE games year in, year out.

People just didn't give them or the WWE the incentive to change their ways.

Aiii

So not worth it
Don't blame Yukes, blame the droves of fans that continued to purchase WWE games year in, year out.

People just didn't give them or the WWE the incentive to change their ways.

That's unfair, they put AJ DLC in it this year. How could I resist?

Ithil

Well if they still have those Smackdown 1 animations on the PS 4, I'm just calling shenanigans. The real big problem is they have the same engine this whole time. It just straight up needs a new one, not an "upgraded" one, a new one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey look, I work hard with the shitty tools I'm given. WWE13 has managed to be enjoyable, but not for the reasons they expect.

Mr. Sam

This is the last Yukes game anyways, they're being "absorbed" into Take Two after 14, so thank god for that.

They'll still be the team that does the games. I know because the universe hates me. Not the WWE universe, the universe universe.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Then why did he beat the shield in a 3 on 1 handicap match a few weeks ago? Why did he just fight Curt Axel(are they serious with this bullshit? pushing this guy has to be an inside joke) I read results once in awhile and am glad I am staying away. Cena will be there to the very end, injury or not. You still have another 10+ years of his bullshit coming so enjoy. The mid card still languishes in meaningless back and forth matches that serve no point. It's still a product aimed at little kids with little to no entertainment that can be derived for an adult viewer. Daniel Bryan or Dean Ambrose being entertaining for 2 minutes out of 3 hours does not make a worthwhile viewing experience.

I'm mostly with you.

Last week Daniel Bryan had like an hour out of 3 hours, though, so that was pretty awesome. Just go back and watch his stuff. The rest is skippable.

Yukes are too busy placing emphasize on customization to try and dress up the decade old gameplay. The Smackdown/WWE series was once a pretty swanky manor house but now its old and crumbling, a new house needs to be built from the ground up but Yukes ain't having none of that. Yukes will keep trying the pretty up the house with more and more customization and desperately strengthen up the shoddy supports with PREDATOR TECHNOLOGY of whatever buzzword they use for each year. But it's still the same old shit with a new coat of paint and after the first week the paint peels off and we get reminded once more that this place has fallen beyond simply repairing.

That and they used an arcade base and keep turning it more sim like each year.

KissVibes

Banned

Curtis Angle Axel is a good wrestler. He's done his time! SIX YEARS OF IT! And he's a good buddy of The Rock and Brock (was their training partners). He even named his son after Lesnar. He deserves a push to see if anything can be made of him.

Curtis Angle Axel is a good wrestler. He's done his time! SIX YEARS OF IT! And he's a good buddy of The Rock (was his training partner). He deserves a push to see if anything can be made of him.

The guy is bland, has no personality, can't cut a promo, and has a midcard at best look. There are many more deserving people out there that should be getting a push. Him continuing to lose by dq, countout, etc just shows his push is some inside joke by someone backstage(maybe to fuck with Heyman?).

Come on, they're pushing Axel to fuck with Heyman? Surely it's far more likely that they're utilising one of the best talkers at their disposal to try and get over a guy whose been struggling to break out. And, really, he's not awful in the ring. Bland, I'll give you that, but there's far worse to come out of WWE developmental.

Come on, they're pushing Axel to fuck with Heyman? Surely it's far more likely that they're utilising one of the best talkers at their disposal to try and get over a guy whose been struggling to break out. And, really, he's not awful in the ring. Bland, I'll give you that, but there's far worse to come out of WWE developmental.

He's been struggling to break out because he sucks as an overall package. Being average in the ring as his main compliment isn't exactly a glowing recommendation. How many chances will they give him? Atleast they are bringing up Bray Wyatt soon. Here's a guy who gets it. Good in ring, great on the mic, works hard, and has an awesome gimmick. Too bad he couldn't have been around in the late 90s because he could have been huge back then.

This is WWE. They're always going to push guys who have a look they like, or who are a 2nd/3rd generation son/daughter of a veteran, regardless whether there are far more talented people waiting in the wings. That is why we can expect far more Bo Dallas in the future, while someone like Cesaro, someone who I consider up there with the very best wrestlers in the entire world, will languish in the mid-card.

Jamie OD

We didn't get much variety either. TNA Impact wasn't great but probably would have gotten a far better sequel. AAA was more or less the TNA game under a different skin. Nothing was made in Japan. The Fire Pro game we did get was an all right arcade game if you ignored the name. The only other non-WWE wrestling game I can think of is Rumble Roses XX but that was a bare bones game because it is from the start of the generation.

Omega

Banned
Should I bother watching the PPV?

Haven't really been able to keep up with wrestling. All I know is The Shield now have belts and Superman is in a feud with Ryback, while fighting Mr Imperfect seemingly every week.

DMczaf

Yukes took wrestling games from being a mainstream genre that even nonwrestling fans loved into an insular mediocre-at-best product that only people who wear wrestling shirts in public care about.

To put it in terms that GAF will understand:

Yukes took wrestling games from the OT to OT Community.

Should I bother watching the PPV?

Haven't really been able to keep up with wrestling. All I know is The Shield now have belts and Superman is in a feud with Ryback, while fighting Mr Imperfect seemingly every week.

Jericho vs Punk and The Shield vs Hell No (I presume) should be great. Also, The Wyatt Family might, hopefully, have some involvement somewhere. I couldn't care less about the rest, though.

Jamie OD said:
Nothing was made in Japan.

We got Wrestle Kingdom on the 360 right at the very start of the generation (Japanese launch title, I believe) and it's still the best wrestling game released this gen (even though it was Yukes developed).

The Baltic Siege has to be the most ridiculous stable in all of wrestling;

. The Estonian Thunderfrog
. The Latvian Proud-Oak
. The Lithuanian Snow Troll
. The Proletariat Boar of Moldova
. Mr. Azerbaijan

Also, might as well keep track of the upcoming Wrestling is... stuff if this is what CHIKARA's going to be for the foreseeable future. So far they've got booked;

C. Wrestling is Cool - announced a show for July 21st in Deptford, NJ. No matches at this time.
H. Wrestling is Heart - no announced shows.
I. Wrestling is Intense - no announced shows
K. Kaiju Big Battel - Brawl in the Family, July 20th, NYC.
A. Wrestling is Art - announced shows for August 10th in Haverhill, MA, and August 11th in East Greenwich, RI.
R. Wrestling is Respect - announced a 'Quest for the Best' tournament to take place on June 30th in Boonton, NJ. Featuring; Green Ant, Francis O'Rourke, Anthony Stone, Gran Akuma, Jervis Cottenbelly & Drew Gulak.
A. Wrestling is Awesome - announced shows for July 6th in Fairfield, ME, and July 7th in Rochester, NH.
!. Wrestling is Fun! - running their next show on June 22nd in Easton, PA. Featuring the debut of Shenron, The Spectral Envoy vs Baltic Siege #1, Amasis vs Juan Francisco, The Bravados vs Baltic Siege #2 & Shane Storm vs Jaka.

So, our next 'CHIKARA' fix will be Wrestling is Fun! & the tournament from Wrestling is Respect in late June, Wrestling is Awesome & Wrestling is Cool in July, with Wrestling is Art in August.

This whole situation is confusing. I wonder if they'll continue to price the Wrestling is... shows at $4.99, or if they'll increase as more talent from the main CHIKARA roster is booked.

Wrestling games have actually regressed under Yukes since the PS2 era. Remember all the different modes and match types they used to have? You could fight almost anywhere. An American team need to take over development of the title now as Yukes just can't cut it. You can see the difference in All Stars vs the Smackdown series. Hopefully with PS4 we see huge improvements graphically in the wrestling genre. Wrestlers should have free flowing hair, you should be able to fight in the crowd, there should be seemless transitions without loading between areas you are fighting in if you decide to go backstage, and of course physics need to improve dramatically as well.

I also remember in Smackdown VS Raw 2006 you could have male vs female matches. Why on earth change that? Now to beat up on John Cena I have to make Joan Cena. I didn't like having to do that, Yukes!

I will say that the customization they add is the one good thing I think they're doing with the games. So I hope that along with making the gameplay not awful, they keep adding more customizable story scenes and CAW options.

The games suck because Yukes is STILL using a derivative of the original PS1 engine that has obvious limitations.

They need to take a fucking year off and make a completely new engine.

In case any Austin-San Antonio peeps haven't heard yet:

Last week, a new Austin-based promotion was announced. Called Inspire Pro Wrestling, the promotion is a partnership including Justin Bissonnette who recently left Anarchy Championship Wrestling (his last show with ACW was three or four months ago, which was also Rachel Summerlyn's last show) and was formerly a co-booker of the company and often the play-by-play guy on the videos. After leaving ACW, Biss began booking the women for NWA, and as far as he's indicated, he will remain doing so.

The new promotion will have their first show on July 7th at the Marchesa Theater in Austin, TX.

Biss has said he just wanted to do his own thing, and when he started with ACW it was always known that his eventual goal would be to move on and do his own concept. He's said they have no plans to have a women's division at this time (sucks) but Rachel Summerlyn will be in attendance for the show. Rachel has been rehabbing some injuries, so I'd say the chances of her actually participating in any action are around zero.

ipdcdRTo9nmz5.jpg

Vega v ACH v Taylor should be loads of fun.

Some new OZ Academy;

OZ Academy, "WEDNESDAY, THE FINAL BATTLE!!", 2013.04.24
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
787 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ojri

01. Dynamite Kansai & Manami Toyota vs Ayako Hamada & Yumi Ohka
02. Meiko Satomura vs Carlos Amano
03. Mio Shirai vs Sonoko Kato
04. Barbedwire Boards Street Fight: Ayumi Kurihara vs Mayumi Ozaki
05. OZ Academy Tag Title Match: Hiroyo Matsumoto & Tomoka Nakagawa (c) vs Aja Kong & Hikaru Shida
06. OZ Academy Openweight Title Match: Chikayo Nagashima (c) vs AKINO

OZ Academy, "LOLLIPOP", 2013.05.12
Shinjuku FACE
431 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ojwp

01. Manami Toyota & Mio Shirai vs Chikayo Nagashima & Tomoka Nakagawa
02. Hikaru Shida vs Mayumi Ozaki
03. Yumi Ohka vs Sonoko Kato
04. Ayumi Kurihara vs Aja Kong
05. AKINO & Hiroyo Matsumoto vs Dynamite Kansai & Carlos Amano

The title matches from 04/24 are worth a look, plus Aja vs Kurihara and Shida vs Ozaki from 05/12.

Vega v ACH v Taylor should be loads of fun.

Yeah, that looks like it should be an awesome main event - I'll definitely check this one out if it hits SmartMark at some point.

strobogo

Banned
You know what's really bad? A lot of the animations from the first 2 SD games that are still in use look better than a lot of the mo-cap moves in the past 4-5 years.

The last genuinely good wrestling WWE game was Here Comes the Pain. Once they switched over to SvR, the series went to shit. It wasn't an immediate drop mind you, but a steady decline. SvR and SvR06 were decent, nothing completely offensive. SvR07 was when the series really went to shit. Then I remember getting 08 and dropping it within 2 weeks. Last one I bothered buying.

The problem is that instead of actually improving the core gameplay, or even the visual presentation, they would just add shitty system after shitty system that they would drop in the next installment.

Let me see: face and heel meters (could've been decent, execution was shit), right analog stick throws (barf), stamina meter where you couldn't even fucking run from the entrance to the ring apron without gassing out mid fucking way there (please kill me).

Also: voiced story mode may sound nice, but it absolutely killed any randomness that could happen in the career mode from HCTP. You will always face the same guy in the same storyline with no variation whatsoever. And the big one: GM FUCKING MODE, who asked for this shit exactly? I bet nobody played this shit other than the super ultra Smarks. Even they probably thought it was inadequate anyways, useless edition all around.

Btw, is the challenge mode still in the series? I remember that being super fun in SvR, and SvR06.

All in all, Yukes and THQ managed to singlehandedly kill one of my favorite PS2 series right in front of my eyes. I'll never forgive them for this shit. I hope 2K can turn it around :/

Top Bottom