• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Cousteau

If his next angle is corporation lawsuit I'll be a Cena mark 4life. Injuries need to be taken more serious in sports entertainment damnit.

strobogo

Banned
The last genuinely good wrestling WWE game was Here Comes the Pain. Once they switched over to SvR, the series went to shit. It wasn't an immediate drop mind you, but a steady decline. SvR and SvR06 were decent, nothing completely offensive. SvR07 was when the series really went to shit. Then I remember getting 08 and dropping it within 2 weeks. Last one I bothered buying.

The problem is that instead of actually improving the core gameplay, or even the visual presentation, they would just add shitty system after shitty system that they would drop in the next installment.

Let me see: face and heel meters (could've been decent, execution was shit), right analog stick throws (barf), stamina meter where you couldn't even fucking run from the entrance to the ring apron without gassing out mid fucking way there (please kill me).

Also: voiced story mode may sound nice, but it absolutely killed any randomness that could happen in the career mode from HCTP. You will always face the same guy in the same storyline with no variation whatsoever. And the big one: GM FUCKING MODE, who asked for this shit exactly? I bet nobody played this shit other than the super ultra Smarks. Even they probably thought it was inadequate anyways, useless edition all around.

Btw, is the challenge mode still in the series? I remember that being super fun in SvR, and SvR06.

All in all, Yukes and THQ managed to singlehandedly kill one of my favorite PS2 series right in front of my eyes. I'll never forgive them for this shit. I hope 2K can turn it around :/

I think SvR/2006 were the peak. HCTP was the same arcadey nonsense that everyone bitches about. I've never understood why it was held in such high regard when it is just like every other Smackdown game, but with an awesome roster. I enjoyed GM mode and really wish that had been combined with Universe Mode. I hate that they take shit out every year. A few years ago, you had all the moves that you could use to throw guys over the top/corner/HIAC, have special moves just for slamming guys into the stairs, wrapping their legs around the ring post, choking them on the ropes, choking with table wires, options of what to do on the guard rails, jumping OFF of the guard rails. Why did that stuff get taken out?

But the roster for HCTP is pretty much unbeatable.

The Baltic Siege has to be the most ridiculous stable in all of wrestling;

. The Estonian Thunderfrog
. The Latvian Proud-Oak
. The Lithuanian Snow Troll
. The Proletariat Boar of Moldova
. Mr. Azerbaijan

Also, might as well keep track of the upcoming Wrestling is... stuff if this is what CHIKARA's going to be for the foreseeable future. So far they've got booked;

C. Wrestling is Cool - announced a show for July 21st in Deptford, NJ. No matches at this time.
H. Wrestling is Heart - no announced shows.
I. Wrestling is Intense - no announced shows
K. Kaiju Big Battel - Brawl in the Family, July 20th, NYC.
A. Wrestling is Art - announced shows for August 10th in Haverhill, MA, and August 11th in East Greenwich, RI.
R. Wrestling is Respect - announced a 'Quest for the Best' tournament to take place on June 30th in Boonton, NJ. Featuring; Green Ant, Francis O'Rourke, Anthony Stone, Gran Akuma, Jervis Cottenbelly & Drew Gulak.
A. Wrestling is Awesome - announced shows for July 6th in Fairfield, ME, and July 7th in Rochester, NH.
!. Wrestling is Fun! - running their next show on June 22nd in Easton, PA. Featuring the debut of Shenron, The Spectral Envoy vs Baltic Siege #1, Amasis vs Juan Francisco, The Bravados vs Baltic Siege #2 & Shane Storm vs Jaka.

So, our next 'CHIKARA' fix will be Wrestling is Fun! & the tournament from Wrestling is Respect in late June, Wrestling is Awesome & Wrestling is Cool in July, with Wrestling is Art in August.

This whole situation is confusing. I wonder if they'll continue to price the Wrestling is... shows at $4.99, or if they'll increase as more talent from the main CHIKARA roster is booked.

I hope they keep the shows at $4.99 since we'll be buying at least two promotions shows a month to keep up. I'm looking forward to the Quest for the Best to see if maybe Kingston makes his return to challenge the winner since he's still the Grand Champion. Hopefully we get some CHIKARA info at the next WIF show.

I hope they keep the shows at $4.99 since we'll be buying at least two promotions shows a month to keep up. I'm looking forward to the Quest for the Best to see if maybe Kingston makes his return to challenge the winner since he's still the Grand Champion. Hopefully we get some CHIKARA info at the next WIF show.

I'd like to see Francis O'Rourke vs Kingston, so I'm hoping he wins it - would be a good way to debut him to the larger CHIKARA audience, although I'm not sure how much of the audience really kept up with the 'Wrestling is' stuff so far.

I'd like to see Francis O'Rourke vs Kingston, so I'm hoping he wins it - would be a good way to debut him to the larger CHIKARA audience, although I'm not sure how much of the audience really kept up with the 'Wrestling is' stuff so far.

O'Rourke vs Kingston would be a hell of a stiff brawl. Count me in for that. I wouldn't even say half of the regular CHIKARA audience has kept up with the Wrestling Is promotions. They are going to have to do something big to attract a larger audience.

tm24

i wouldn't even say a fifth of the regular chikara audience has kept up with Wrestling Is... and i think im being generous

Also, Animal Crossing is amazing. I need fruits that arent oranges! Get on it people!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrasslegaffers only pleeeeease:

2852-7124-0911

I have peaches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
wo0t! Add me and open your gates! 4983-5096-5352

And the Nakamura/Sombra match should appear somewhere sometime later today

Gates not open for a while, I got other crap to do~

I want to believe that Sunflower named his Animal Crossing town "Batistown".

It's Hades. It's an old holdover from...well it's always been Hades in the past. Why mess with perfection?

Batistown would have worked though...

It's Hades. It's an old holdover from...well it's always been Hades in the past. Why mess with perfection?

Batistown would have worked though...
Such a shame, I bet Big Dave himself would've come visiting bearing basketball like oranges and bearing no grudges had the town been named Batistown.

Kaladin

i wouldn't even say a fifth of the regular chikara audience has kept up with Wrestling Is... and i think im being generous

Also, Animal Crossing is amazing. I need fruits that arent oranges! Get on it people!

Prob about as the same pecent of the WWE fanbase who kept up with FCW before it was NXT.

And I need a 3DS XL before I get Ac.... And my gaming money is going to Last Of Us this month.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
SvR 2007 actually had a great control scheme and seemed like a great advance for the series. Anyone remember it? It was where you had all this control, and could genuinely interact with the environment? Building up on that seemed like too much work, though, so they went the lazy route and got rid of it. Hell, even the character models were much better then. Funny enough, the models now don't even have sweat, lol.

strobogo

Banned
I don't understand how people are supposed to beat some of the high end Extra Ops tank/plane battles in Peace Walker. Even with help with dudes who are S ranked, we get crushed since it's basically nonstop rocket launchers at you from every direction.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't understand how people are supposed to beat some of the high end Extra Ops tank/plane battles in Peace Walker. Even with help with dudes who are S ranked, we get crushed since it's basically nonstop rocket launchers at you from every direction.
Did you even talk about wrestling anymore? Every time I come in here, you're discussing something random from your life.

Anyway, the trick to beating anything in Peace Walker is to call for rations or ammo.

Hell, even the character models were much better then. Funny enough, the models now don't even have sweat, lol.

tumblr_m9jmkdNJIp1r15h74o1_1280.png

strobogo

Banned
Did you even talk about wrestling anymore? Every time I come in here, you're discussing something random from your life.

Anyway, the trick to beating anything in Peace Walker is to call for rations or ammo.

I'm caught up on NXT and D-Bryne and talking about any other wrestling exacerbates my depression. I agree that SvR 06/07 were really good and removed a ton of shit that made the games a lot more fun while at the same being more sim like.

I'm willing to give 2Ksports the benefit of the doubt over this one, allow them a year to release one and then see if there are changes for WWE'15.

I haven't watched one episode of Raw since WM 29 ended. I watched the Extreme rules PPV to see how WWE screwed Ryback, and I'll watch Pay Back for CM Punk.

We can all agree that 2008 was by far the worst of the Smackdown games right? an abomination of a single player mode, each wrestler having gimmicky shit like the incredibly unbalanced fighting styles and having Bobby Lashley on the cover which pretty much says it all.

Ithil

And of course, the shilling for WWE games has gotten more blatant as the games get worse, so instead of RAW and SD being sponsored by the newest game so the ad bumpers are the shilling, we have to have wrinkly Jerry Lawler telling us about how advanced and hip this new game is while footage of awful animations and floating belts airs.

Kaladin

I just bought a ticket for ANTiSEEN's 30th Anniversary show in Charlotte, NC....what does this have to do with wrestling you ask?

Well for one, the MC of the event is The Cosmic Commander of Wrestling...and two, they're big wrestling fans and it comes through in their music.

Fuck All Yall (20th Anniversary Show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DUVgKlqYrs

Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch & Cactus Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtgU7bIwnr8

(I'm A) Babyface Killer (lead singer dives through burning table during this song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxdqIYM0m5I

Going to be a crazy time.

I solo S-Ranked all PW missions...twice lol (PSP then PS3).

I would recommend going to YouTube for strategies, but I'll give you some quick tips:

- Don't try to S rank everything the first time doing a mission, it might be possible, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

- Follow this mission path from GFAQs to help you know when you get certain unlockable weapons, shit helps a lot:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960566-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/60011258?page=1 (2nd post)

You want these weapons: Carl Gustav M2 (Fulton Recovery) Rank 3 - Complete Extra Ops 098 + Fulton Sleep Gas Mine Rank 5 - Complete Extra Ops 064 + Make sure to develop your smoke grenades and NVG as high as possible

You also want the Battle Dress with Helmet - (Complete all of these Extra Ops with an S Rank. 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44.
or alternatively you can try to get it from completing Outer Ops 69 - 72) for extra protection

- Develop your analyzer to Rank 5 in order to be able to see how many soldiers are left in the mission in the last tab of the pause menu.

- For APC battles, the idea is stay behind it until it opens its doors in order for the 4 soldiers to come out, as soon as you see that throw a smoke grenade by them and equip your NVG. Go sneak right in the middle of them and plant a fulton mine. Back off and shoot it from afar to get rid of them. Rinse and repeat until the commander shows up, then tranq him.

- For tanks, you should focus on holding up the 4 soldiers on its side one by one. Then fulton them immediately and hide in a box or something. Wait for 4 others to respawn, rinse and repeat.

- For choppers, there are 2 ways. The sneaky way, and the Rambo way. Both of them involve throwing a smoke grenade at the first batch of soldiers, then holding them up. Make sure the chopper doesn't spot you on the way. You can then either fulton them, and await for the others to respawn, rinse and repeat, or you could do it like a real man :p Make sure you have an armor piercing sniper on you. After holding up the soldiers, leave them where they are and then engage the chopper in battle. Note that if any of the choppers missiles hit the soldiers, they will break out of their hold up animation and start attacking you, ruining anything.

Anyways, the idea is to keep shooting the chopper's cockpit with your AP sniper, until the glass breaks. (This will take a couple of magazines depending on the difficulty). After that, the commander will stick his head out. Pull out your Mosin Nagant and snipe his head off to win.

- Tank and APC commanders will also reveal themselves even after being alerted to your presence if you: 1. Take care of all the foot soldiers. 2. Deal enough damage to the vehicle with your weapons (When there's about 2 health bar segments left or so).

- S ranks aren't invalidated by an alert or by using healing items. So as long as you don't kill anyone, and finish fast enough, you should get it.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom