• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't preorder in general, but I don't feel like taking an off-day to get the console so I want it through the mail anyways and I might as well preorder now to ensure I get one as I'm expecting quite some interest at the current price level and not that many devices to make it to retail with the thing launching in Europe and US around the same time.

but Cerny's games suck

No, YOU suck!

Aiii

So not worth it
I wish Zema all the best in the world. I can understand TNA not helping out, because if they do it with him out come all the other people that need medical help and I'm pretty sure TNA is pretty low on money as it is, they'd go bust over that I would imagine.

I'm sure they want to help, but realising what it would mean for their future I can understand why they made the corporate descision to stay out of that.

strobogo

Banned
They could at least do a benefit show or auction. Or anything at all to help one of their talents. They don't have to pay for his surgery or anything. Just maybe do something they can promote on Impact to help him out.

I love Steam, and to me the appeal of not switching discs, not having to manage a bunch of discs, and not being able to misplace games or have them stolen far outweighs the ability to buy/sell used. So Xbox doing that is great, I think, and Sony is living in the past. And I really do think that 3rd party publishers will favor Xbox.

I will have both eventually, probably, since there's some Japanese titles I'll like that will stay PS exclusive. But I'd rather have Halo than Killzone or Infamous, for sure.

jmdajr

So Trish in her interview with Steve Austin talked about how fans were sad when she lost the booty, she did what was right.. and got the booty back!

Aiii

So not worth it
I love Steam, and to me the appeal of not switching discs, not having to manage a bunch of discs, and not being able to misplace games or have them stolen far outweighs the ability to buy/sell used. So Xbox doing that is great, I think, and Sony is living in the past. And I really do think that 3rd party publishers will favor Xbox.

I will have both eventually, probably, since there's some Japanese titles I'll like that will stay PS exclusive. But I'd rather have Halo than Killzone or Infamous, for sure.

The problem is that Microsoft at ANY point in the future can choose to take all your games away from you. You have no ownership over them, at all. I don't get why this is not a big issue for everyone, the risk in them shutting down service when the Xbox Two comes out to force you to buy the next Xbox alone is worth all of my caution. Everyone is hung up on the used games shit, but the fact that you can't actually own your games is a way bigger issue in my mind.

Pretty sure the consumers will flock to PS4 though, given it's much lower price, mirroring what happened with the PS3/360 (other way around though) and as such will have the bigger userbase which is the only thing 3rd party developers that aren't doing multiplatform should care about. I think support for the PS4 will be better. Especially if you count indie games.

---
Wrasslin'
WWE Shop is now selling new stuffed toys, which are kinda awesome:
W05362.jpg

Way too overprices though. 100 dollars for the set lol, 35 dollars for two and 20 individually. That Daniel Bryan one is ace though.

Mandatory related AJ pic:
normal_AJ_120613_001.jpg

jmdajr

Pre-ordered PS4 even though launch line up in kind of meh. I would actually rather play what Microsoft has. But I don't know, it's just a matter of principle that I appreciate what Sony is trying to do after falling from grace. I'm sure I will get an Xbox One down the line.

Anyhow, I doubt the price of PS4 will change in 2014. If anything maybe they will pack in a game but that's about it.

The problem is that Microsoft at ANY point in the future can choose to take all your games away from you.
OK. I mean, Sony could put poison gas canisters inside PS4s, too, if we're talking about things that won't happen. ANY point in the future! Maybe launch day?

Aiii

So not worth it
OK. I mean, Sony could put poison gas canisters inside PS4s, too, if we're talking about things that won't happen.

I find a scenario where Microsoft shuts down the Xbox One servers in favor of the Xbox Two entirely plausible.

"Yeah, we're making the Xbox Two backwards compatible, so it wouldn't make much sense to maintain two sets of server parks anymore. Peoples libraries will be isntantly available on the Xbox Two so what is the problem?"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find a scenario where Microsoft shuts down the Xbox One servers in favor of the Xbox Two entirely plausible.

"Yeah, we're making the Xbox Two backwards compatible, so it wouldn't make much sense to maintain two sets of server parks anymore. Peoples libraries will be isntantly available on the Xbox Two so what is the problem?"

Really? You got a weird sense of looking at the future.

Also think about this, nobody really has brought it up - Sony said publisher can set their Online Pass, the day one DLC,e tc - it's all up to them. Nothing's gonna stop them if they want to lock larger parts of the game behind an online fee. In fact, Sony's saying they WON'T stop em. So, yknow, just something to consider. You think you own everything, but you haven't owned anything for a while now...they're just letting you use it.

Fuckin wrasslin talk, need some. Batista is a funny dude on Twitter when he has downtime.

This match right here is what I beg people to watch. Incredible match, was reminded of it on a podcast I listened to and it still holds up SO well even today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603U_62GeSg

Octagón and El Hijo del Santo vs La Pareja del Terror (Art Barr and Eddie Guerrero)

Aiii

So not worth it

Also think about this, nobody really has brought it up - Sony said publisher can set their Online Pass, the day one DLC,e tc - it's all up to them. Nothing's gonna stop them if they want to lock larger parts of the game behind an online fee. In fact, Sony's saying they WON'T stop em. So, yknow, just something to consider. You think you own everything, but you haven't owned anything for a while now...they're just letting you use it.

They have Online Passes now too, so I guess that's why you don't hear anything about it. I'm mostly a single player gamer so this doesn't bother me that much.

I retrogame alot though, not having an assurance I can play my games 10 years from now matters to me alot.

Don't think I'm wrong in stating that Xbox One support will end pretty quickly after the next console comes out. Since I buy games mostly when they're released, that's alot of risk to take with your gamelibrary at 50~60 euro a pop, so I'm not willing to take that chance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to ask Aiii more questions about his weird gaming habits but I'm going to do my best not to continue derailing, not that anyone cares really, we're all pals and sometimes a little levity and non-insane people talkin video games doesn't hurt.

5f58zBb.jpg

I'll just say I respect the hell out of...you?

Aiii

So not worth it
I was going to ask Aiii more questions about his weird gaming habits but I'm going to do my best not to continue derailing, not that anyone cares really, we're all pals and sometimes a little levity and non-insane people talkin video games doesn't hurt.

danielbryanno.gif

Wrestling character design development? holy shit, this is freaking awesome to look at!

I wonder if there's some guys who get to do this nowadays for all the exciting characters WWE bring to the table, like maybe designing some exciting trunks is the highlight of their job.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wrestling character design development? holy shit, this is freaking awesome to look at!

I wonder if there's some guys who get to do this nowadays for all the exciting characters WWE bring to the table, like maybe designing some exciting trunks is the highlight of their job.

I think all they do is shirt designs now.

Granted, some of those designs are rather cool.

I don't think it's all that weird. Microsoft said similar things when the OXbox's servers were closed, justifying it with all the 'Xbox Originals' they were going to port over - I've got games for the OXbox that are now unplayable and paid DLC for a dozen or more titles that, should my OXbox's HDD ever die, I will lose permanently. It's only thanks to the hacking community that we still have access to these things. This is the future of retro gaming, so I'm going to hold onto physical copies for as long as possible and the idea of a console that just doesn't work if it can't speak to a Microsoft server every 24hrs is scary to me.

In other news, I'm turning on my 360 for the first time in months today, as I just got a copy of Mushihimesama HD :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's all that weird. Microsoft said similar things when the OXbox's servers were closed, justifying it with all the 'Xbox Originals' they were going to port over - I've got games for the OXbox that are now unplayable and paid DLC for a dozen or more titles that, should my OXbox's HDD ever die, I will lose permanently. It's only thanks to the hacking community that we still have access to these things. This is the future of retro gaming, so I'm going to hold onto physical copies for as long as possible and the idea of a console that just doesn't work if it can't speak to a Microsoft server every 24hrs is scary to me.

In other news, I'm turning on my 360 for the first time in months today, as I just got a copy of Mushihimesama HD :)

maybe I should re-send that friend request you denied :(

Also whaaaat are you saying about the original OG Xbox titles not working if your HD dies? You mean the emulation backcompat, not ones you purchased on demand, right?

Also whaaaat are you saying about the original OG Xbox titles not working if your HD dies? You mean the emulation backcompat, not ones you purchased on demand, right?

No, I'm talking about physical disc games for the original Xbox that were largely online-centric and don't work because the servers aren't available any more - Mech Assault, Phantom Dust, PSO, ReVolt, etc. Then there's all the DLC I bought on my original Xbox, which I can't ever download again from legitimate sources, since Microsoft shut the servers down.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a bunch of Arcade (and PSN/Wii downloadable games) disappear altogether once these consoles have run out their life span. Digital only, always online gaming sucks for retro gaming fans.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, I'm talking about physical disc games for the original Xbox that were largely online-centric and don't work because the servers aren't available any more - Mech Assault, Phantom Dust, PSO, ReVolt, etc. Then there's all the DLC I bought on my original Xbox, which I can't ever download again from legitimate sources, since Microsoft shut the servers down.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a bunch of Arcade (and PSN/Wii downloadable games) disappear altogether once these consoles have run out their life span.

Man I miss the OG Xbox now that I think about it. That was a special time. I remember CvS2 online...my god! That was so thrilling.

Oh man, I spent so much time playing CvsSNK2 back in the day, even though the game was full of cheaters and suffered from laggy-ass netcode. I generally had so much fun with the Original Xbox's online play, especially on games like Mech Assault and Moto GP. Online play this generation just hasn't been the same for me, for some reason and I barely bother with MP these days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I spent so much time playing CvsSNK2 back in the day, even though the game was full of cheaters and suffered from laggy-ass netcode. I generally had so much fun with the Original Xbox's online play, especially on games like Mech Assault and Moto GP. Online play this generation just hasn't been the same for me, for some reason and I barely bother with MP these days.

Back then, and it was thrilling to play online, you were playing against other dudes just like you. Now every asshole and child in the world that has no time to do anything else plays the dicks off of one online title and ruins everyone's experience. It used to be so casual, now it's so competitive. I miss it too. It WAS different.

Nothing bums me out more than firing up Jojo and hoping to find another dude like me out there (played it some in the arcade, bought the DC version, didn't get TOO into it but had fun) and instead you find a group of people who want to do nothing but WIN.

I just want to have fun playin games. :( Fun, not win. Winning doesn't matter that much.I really miss Chromehounds too.

I have no trust in Microsoft as a company at all. I'm a 80s and 90s kid, I remember how evil they were before they had their PR and Bill Gates started doing all his charity stuff.

---

What you're telling me is that you're easily influenced by the opinion of others.

strobogo

Banned
I think the best out of the drawings is Dustin Rhodes as an Egyptian pharaoh who cosplays as Ric Flair. So strange that was in the original idea for what would become Goldust. The only game I've really played online is Peace Walker and that's just to have someone to help me beat some missions, not vs mode at all.

Aiii

So not worth it
What you're telling me is that you're easily influenced by the opinion of others.

I need people to tell me who to mark out for.

Nintendo used to be the Microsoft of gaming. They were fucking assholes back then, you just didn't know it. They ruled the gaming world through tyranny.

All companies are assholes, but at least some have the courtesy of pretending they're good people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the best out of the drawings is Dustin Rhodes as an Egyptian pharaoh who cosplays as Ric Flair. So strange that was in the original idea for what would become Goldust. The only game I've really played online is Peace Walker and that's just to have someone to help me beat some missions, not vs mode at all.

You on 360? I can make some time for you (but I'm not good at it.)

All companies are assholes, but at least some have the courtesy of pretending they're good people.

That isn't courtesy

Back then, and it was thrilling to play online, you were playing against other dudes just like you. Now every asshole and child in the world that has no time to do anything else plays the dicks off of one online title and ruins everyone's experience. It used to be so casual, now it's so competitive. I miss it too. It WAS different.

It definitely felt like a more mature online experience, with a whole lot less needless profanity/screaming. Also, I think the concept of having a headset and being able to chat and work together with the people you were playing with was kinda novel at the time, people weren't as quick to be an asshole and hide behind their anonymity - this generation I often didn't bother with the headset as it was often a nightmare trying to organise any semblance of teamwork when playing with randoms.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It definitely felt like a more mature online experience, with a whole lot less needless profanity/screaming. Also, I think the concept of having a headset and being able to chat and work together with the people you were playing with was kinda novel at the time, people weren't as quick to be an asshole and hide behind their anonymity - this generation I often didn't bother with the headset as it was often a nightmare trying to organise any semblance of teamwork when playing with randoms.

Sometimes that shit just ain't worth it. Kinda surprising though, I still play a lot of casual MP team-based games and while it's fine playing in silence with everyone else, all it takes is one voice trying to coordinate and people fall in line.

This is why Planetside 2 works. You guys are going to love that goddamn game. Bummed the PC ver and PS4 ones aren't cross-platform play though. I invested some good dollars into PS2. :(

Really fun though, like, you literally have to level your dude and spend your level points to get the ability to speak on a larger scale and give orders. Keeps buttholes away, makes serious comms people valuable. Kinda like Chromehounds pre-party chat - capturing comms towers to give you the ability to speak to your dudes in a certain radius. Can you tell I miss Chromehounds? That game is so good.

strobogo

Banned
Sure am. But now I've leveled up all my armor piercing weapons enough that I don't have to hope someone is online and wanting to do a 20 minute battle against a dickhead tank. I only have maybe 5 Extra Ops left. Both Peace Walker battles, the LEGIT Rex, and a few random stealth/prisoner missions that I didn't realize I hadn't done because the little check marks are hard to see on an SDTV.

Ryback looked exhausted half way through the match with Kane. How do they expect him to last a 3 in 1 match that will go probably at least a half hour? And a lumberjack match in a 3 stages of hell? Lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 2 Online was very enjoyable though, one of the best online gaming crowds I've played in.

I'm not trying to sound like a douche so don't take it like that in case it does, but:

were you playing online at all in the early 2000s? Because games come and go, but there was this overall FEELING of togetherness that never got replicated post OG-Xbox Live. It was like that on the Dreamcast too, and the internet back in 1994. Memories~

Also it sounds like you never got to experience the glory of CULDCEPT.

0Wqi0aY.jpg

EcKRbdX.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm not trying to sound like a douche so don't take it like that in case it does, but:

were you playing online at all in the early 2000s? Because games come and go, but there was this overall FEELING of togetherness that never got replicated post OG-Xbox Live. It was like that on the Dreamcast too, and the internet back in 1994. Memories~

Also it sounds like you never got to experience the glory of CULDCEPT.

You totally sound like a douche!

Yeah, I played WC3, Diablo 2, Quake 3, UT and Counter-Strike mostly.

Also, I played alot of Planetarion. Webbased gaming ftw.

And Xbox lol, I had a PC, free online gaming ftw.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You totally sound like a douche!

Yeah, I played WC3, Diablo 2, Quake 3, UT and Counter-Strike mostly.

Also, I played alot of Planetarion. Webbased gaming ftw.

And Xbox lol, I had a PC, free online gaming ftw.

ftw? I didn't say to speak like it was 2002. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I never heard of Planetarion. Was it the shit? I still remember playing MUDs and MOOs on BBSes :( ah ye olden days

strobogo

Banned
All these fucking acronyms. What the fuck is going on in here?

The best part about the Sandow/Sheamus beat down is that there was no cheap shot from behind. It was a straight up "hey you fucking dick, I'm going to punch you in the cranium" and then he did.

Aiii

So not worth it
Planetarion was a game that updated once an hour. Basically you created an account and got a planet in a galaxy of twenty planets max. And then you develop your planet, manage resources (Asteroids) and create a space fleet to attack others with. You could join alliances and coordinate attacks. Travel outside of your galaxy took longer, so organising defence would be easier from there. Enemy fleets took 8 hours or so to reach you, so with one hour ticks you'd have an hour or two to get enough defence to win the battle.

The trick was you and your alliance attacking a single galaxy one minute or so before the next tick in the middle of the night to give them an hour less to organise defense and attack all of them so they wouldn't be able to defend eachother. Most cases they would send their fleet to attack someone else and you'd steal all their resources in one go.

It was pretty bad-ass, got alot of pleasure out of that in my dial-up days.

It still exists too: http://www.planetarion.com/

strobogo

Banned
I get goosebumps every time I see D-Bryne wrasslin. I've been a fan of his for about 10 years now, ever since I came across Daniels vs Ki vs Dragon on Limewire so many years ago. Dude is on some next level shit right now and it is really a pleasure to watch greatness and be totally aware of it in a way that I don't think I really was when Eddie/Benoit were in their primes.

Top Bottom