• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I get goosebumps every time I see D-Bryne wrasslin. I've been a fan of his for about 10 years now, ever since I came across Daniels vs Ki vs Dragon on Limewire so many years ago. Dude is on some next level shit right now and it is really a pleasure to watch greatness and be totally aware of it in a way that I don't think I really was when Eddie/Benoit were in their primes.

He's become cosmically aware

Sorry, I've been reading old Captain Marvel books from the 70s (they're really dope)

strobogo

Banned
I don't remember ever getting goosebumps watching a guy except specific spots in big time matches or something. Like big time false finish in a Taker match at WM or something. But I immediately bump up as soon as Dragon gets in the ring and starts fucking dudes up. Totally involuntary. My body is cosmically aware of his greatness. Every match he's been in for the last month and a half or so, it happens. It's the weirdest thing. Is that what you puro nerds call wrestling spirit? Or is it...FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!

inoki-1.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember ever getting goosebumps watching a guy except specific spots in big time matches or something. Like big time false finish in a Taker match at WM or something. But I immediately bump up as soon as Dragon gets in the ring and starts fucking dudes up. Totally involuntary. My body is cosmically aware of his greatness. Every match he's been in for the last month and a half or so, it happens. It's the weirdest thing. Is that what you puro nerds call wrestling spirit? Or is it...FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!

I've been noticing in large public places with Raw on (went to dinner, etc) - he turns heads, people get interested, even when they can't hear what's going on. His body language is unreal and people are just eating out of his hand.

Kaladin

I've been that way since I first saw Dragon wrestle in '06. Every match he's in, I expect something amazing and unless he's got small time restrictions he usually delivers.

strobogo

Banned
So, what is Vince's on screen position now? The board removed him as chairman and director, so why does he still have the final say over everything? And why has HHH not really done anything in his position of power? He was only removed as GM of Raw, but he's still COO and is therefore still in charge of Raw by default. I swear restarting the match was the first thing he's done in his position in over a year. I did lol at Vince walking off with the bell, though.

Kaladin

So, what is Vince's on screen position now? The board removed him as chairman and director, so why does he still have the final say over everything? And why has HHH not really done anything in his position of power? He was only removed as GM of Raw, but he's still COO and is therefore still in charge of Raw by default. I swear restarting the match was the first thing he's done in his position in over a year. I did lol at Vince walking off with the bell, though.

6 months bra.

Aiii

So not worth it

CEO without power to run the day to day operations on Raw and Smackdown except when he gets to appoint a person that runs the day to day operations as well as instruct them directly how to run the day to day operation.

Also he can fire anyone that doesn't do what he says or that he doesn't like, regardless.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince's power fluctuates depending on how they've booked themselves into a corner.

You need to think of them less like actual corporate positions and more like Greek gods, toying with mortals and lording power over each other in a bizarre game of hedonistic chess.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You need to think of them less like actual corporate positions and more like Greek gods, toying with mortals and lording power over each other in a bizarre game of hedonistic chess.

Greek gods...interesting thought...

Who is in this Pantheon? Vince as Cronus, and minor lesser gods below like Austin, Hogan, etc?

somedevil

Some News to discuss. First about Payback and the Second about possible Summerslam matches:

At last word, Bryan is still scheduled to be part of the WWE Title picture in July and August of this year.

- On a related note, it's possible we see two heels turns at Payback, one with Bryan and the other with Chris Jericho.

This past weekend, WWE officials discussed doing Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Kane and The Undertaker at August's SummerSlam pay-per-view. If Taker doesn't want to do the match, then it will likely be The Shield vs. Randy Orton and Sheamus.

Other matches being discussed for SummerSlam include John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Title, Big E Langston vs. either Big Show or Mark Henry and Rey Mysterio vs. Dean Ambrose, if Rey is able to perform then.

Orton vs. Ryback and Mysterio vs. Jack Swagger also have been discussed for this summer.

Meltzer is playing both sides because he said that Bryan is staying face and then hinting maybe a heel turn just incase to say he got it right. It would be stupid to turn the guy on fire right now heel to face Cena when Bryan is more over than Cena.

Also we should play a game to see who is a face or a heel after Payback between Punk, Jericho, Bryan and Orton.

Aiii

So not worth it
They can't turn Bryan heel because the crowd won't have it.

They have a hard enough time keeping Ziggler heel as it is and never managed to get Punk there. No way anyone other than a couple of kids start booing Bryan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Aiii since you're very invested in DRM and policy help me understand what's happening on gaming-side with Driveclub (besides it lookin like dogshit, haw haw haw)

You don't get the entire game unless you have a Plus subscription? They're withholding content for those who don't subscribe to their paywall? Is that right or am I off-base? Because that SOUNDS shitty, but I might be interpreting that shit wrong.

Aiii since you're very invested in DRM and policy help me understand what's happening on gaming-side with Driveclub (besides it lookin like dogshit, haw haw haw)

You don't get the entire game unless you have a Plus subscription? They're withholding content for those who don't subscribe to their paywall? Is that right or am I off-base? Because that SOUNDS shitty, but I might be interpreting that shit wrong.

If you have plus you get a version of the game with less cars.

It's 60$ other wise at retail

Sunflower said:

No, if you have a Plus subscription you get the game for free* at launch, but it lacks the full selection of cars and tracks available in the retail version of the game.

*or, for as long as you maintain your Plus subscription.

Sunflower said:
what's happening on gaming-side with Driveclub (besides it lookin like dogshit, haw haw haw)

Man, you crazy. DriveClub's looking awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you have plus you get a version of the game with less cars.

It's 60$ other wise at retail

That's even weirder, I was under the impression w/o plus you wouldnt get all the content from the retail ver :|

Fucking muddy-ass waters

Man, you crazy. DriveClub's looking awesome.

It looks like GT5 to me, same old shit. Admittedly I'm not a european so the amount of fucks I give about cars can be measured in inches, not meters

Aiii

So not worth it

No, you get a (slightly as they say, but as of yet undefined) trimmed down verdion for free with your PS Plus subscription, called Driveclub PS Plus edition. The full version is sold in retail. No doubt they will offer some DLC package for the PS plus version that unlocks the rest of the missing content.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, you get a (slightly as they say, but as of yet undefined) trimmed down verdion for free with your PS Plus subscription, called Driveclub PS Plus edition. The full version is sold in retail. No doubt they will offer some DLC package for the PS plus version that unlocks the restmof the missing content.

Is this the 'evolution' of a demo? Or the paring down of the Instant Game Collection? I guess they figured out how to further monetize "free" things in that sense. I can't blame them, locking shit behind a paywall (online multi) was very lucrative and Sony can't really afford to ignore that kind of money. Changing their definition of a trial/demo though, hmm.

You can't play any multiplayer game unless you have a PS+ subscription, not just Driveclub.

Right. There's a huge amount of people just accepting that shit despite grilling MS to hell and back for it. Double standards!

It looks like GT5 to me, same old shit. Admittedly I'm not a european so the amount of fucks I give about cars can be measured in inches, not meters

Looking like the best racing game this generation is quite the compliment, but I feel DriveClub's doing enough to differentiate itself in the gameplay - it has to with GT6 on the horizon.

Sunflower said:
Right. There's a huge amount of people just accepting that shit despite grilling MS to hell and back for it. Double standards!

That's me. It's become an unavoidable reality because there weren't more people like me last gen who refused to pay for online - if it hadn't been lucrative for Microsoft, there would have been no reason for Sony to do it. But seeing as so many people just weren't bothered by the relatively small yearly subscription, I can't blame Sony for adopting the tactic, as much as I may despise it.

Also, there is the fact that I subscribed to Plus this generation and more than got my subscriptions worth in free games and discounts. I was always going to have a Plus subscription this coming gen if Sony continued the program, the fact that I now need one to play online is almost incidental.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is this the 'evolution' of a demo? Or the paring down of the Instant Game Collection? I guess they figured out how to further monetize "free" things in that sense. I can't blame them, locking shit behind a paywall (online multi) was very lucrative and Sony can't really afford to ignore that kind of money. Changing their definition of a trial/demo though, hmm.

Doubt it, the problem they had is simple, there is no game library yet to give free games out of. i think it will be half a year at keast before PS4 gets free full retail games with Plus. It'll mostly be indie games before that, maybe fist party stuff.

It'll be a year before it's two full retail games plus extras every month like it is now for PS3.

Maybe if they add PS3 Classics or something they will give those away with Plus until the PS4 retail is up to speed.

Aiii

So not worth it
And yeah, most people already have Plus now, which somehow makes it less of a big deal, I get four free games every month now, for five euro. That is insane.

It's a shame, but oh well, whatcha gonna do?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looking like the best racing game this generation is quite the compliment, but I feel DriveClub's doing enough to differentiate itself in the gameplay - it has to with GT6 on the horizon.

That's me. It's become an unavoidable reality because there weren't more people like me last gen who refused to pay for online - if it hadn't been lucrative for Microsoft, there would have been no reason for Sony to do it. But seeing as so many people just weren't bothered by the relatively small yearly subscription, I can't blame Sony for adopting the tactic, as much as I may despise it.

Also, there is the fact that I subscribed to Plus this generation and more than got my subscriptions worth in free games and discounts. I was always going to have a Plus subscription this coming gen if Sony continued the program, the fact that I now need one to play online is almost incidental.

They're working hard to add value without actually giving out value they're missing out on - one of the good things about Plus and now whatever Xbox is calling their thing, "Gold Games" or whatnot - is that they're giving away games people would be picking up used for a pittance - so they're not parting with too much product revenue in that case. It's a smart move, and MS is taking baby steps, but the key is to get people to get their CC info in the system - once it's in there, it's FAR easier for people to make further purchases. That's something F2P games strive for because that's the big gateway in to people spending theirs (or other peoples') money.

The big challenge is "how do we add significant value without losing money" and Driveclub's 'basic' version for free is a smart plan on their end, but it is a weenie in the butt of consumers to a degree. It only depends how much you're uncomfortable with whose name is on the handle of said weenie.

The first move either of the companies need to do to get people on board with their premium subscription is to make an 'endless' multi game free - ala CoD next gen. People will DIVE the hell into that to get it for free, and they're in the circle - it's done. It'll hurt their bottom line in the beginning but it builds a hell of a base.

strobogo

Banned
I'm so ready for next gen.

Pay for the internet. Pay for the console. Pay to use the internet on your console. Pay full retail for the game. Pay to play the other half of the game that is on the disc. Pay to play someone else's game. Pay to watch someone else play their game. Pay to use other services you already pay for (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc). Pay to get the subscription to get a free game you actually have pay for if you want a full version.

So pumped.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

I have PS+ and I think them putting multiplayer behind it is dumb. But Miscrosoft does the same shit so if you want to play online with a new console too fucking bad, you need to pay.

strobogo said:
I'm so ready for next gen.

Pay for the internet. Pay for the console. Pay to use the internet on your console. Pay full retail for the game. Pay to play the other half of the game that is on the disc. Pay to play someone else's game. Pay to watch someone else play their game. Pay to use other services you already pay for (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc). Pay to get the subscription to get a free game you actually have pay for if you want a full version.

Such a stark contrast from yesteryear :(

I remember opening my presents on Christmas morning '92 and playing Super Castlevania IV on the SNES less than five minutes later. Certainly some of the immediacy of gaming has been lost over the past gen or so.

The big challenge is "how do we add significant value without losing money" and Driveclub's 'basic' version for free is a smart plan on their end, but it is a weenie in the butt of consumers to a degree. It only depends how much you're uncomfortable with whose name is on the handle of said weenie.

I think it's unrealistic of people to have ever thought it would be the full game for free - for one, it was announced as 'DriveClub: PS+ Edition', which should have been an immediate alarm bell, while also it would have been a complete slap in the face to anyone who paid money for the full retail game. Perhaps they should have called it 'DriveClub: Freemium Edition', as I'm sure there will be DLC to add in the content missing from the PS+ version somewhere down the line.

Also, as much of the game seems to be based around the social 'driving club' aspect, it's pretty smart of them to provide a free version that will only increase the user base.

Netflix, Hulu, et al is not behind a pay wall on ps4. You can do all that stuff without ps plus.

Ms on the other hand pony up bitch

As someone who is not a big race fan. Drive club ps+ sound alike it would be enough for my needs anyway

jmdajr

And yeah, most people already have Plus now, which somehow makes it less of a big deal, I get four free games every month now, for five euro. That is insane.

It's a shame, but oh well, whatcha gonna do?

I don't have plus,...but I guess I will now.

Not even mad really. I'm not even mad about Live. Been there since halo2.

Aiii

So not worth it
MS even have a limit of users you can add per day as friends if you don't have Gold. It took me three days to add all my friends on the 360 lol.

Huh, shit in All Japan's going kinda crazy - the new owner Shirashi had a big falling out with Mutoh, who is now leaving the company to form his own promotion. He'll be taking KAI, Seiya Sanada, Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo with him, as well as the ring announcer and a couple of referees. The current Triple Crown champ Suwama turned Mutoh down, so he will stay with All Japan, while Taiyo Kea will return to the company after a leave of absence. Shirashi has been a controversial figure since taking over, interjecting himself in shows, raising the ire of All Japan fans and provoking New Japan in the press by insulting Riki Choshu and criticising their brand of 'fixed' wrestling. He wants to do less of the choreographed stuff and more hard-hitting, strong style & shootstyle influenced wrestling.

As for Mutoh starting a new promotion, that is really not what wrestling in Japan needs right now. It has been speculated that if he can't start a promotion, he'll form a dojo instead where he trains students and represents freelance wrestlers, much like Kensuke Sasaki currently does with his Diamond Ring school. If a deal could be struck to bring Mutoh and the other guys leaving with him to New Japan, that would be potentially huge - Hayashi & Kondo would be the perfect shot in the arm for NJPW's ailing Jr's division, while Sanada & KAI (especially KAI, coming off a huge Champion Carnival) would be good additions to the heavyweight roster.

Jamie OD

Huh, shit in All Japan's going kinda crazy - the new owner Shirashi had a big falling out with Mutoh, who is now leaving the company to form his own promotion. He'll be taking KAI, Seiya Sanada, Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo with him, as well as the ring announcer and a couple of referees. The current Triple Crown champ Suwama turned Mutoh down, so he will stay with All Japan, while Taiyo Kea will return to the company after a leave of absence. Shirashi has been a controversial figure since taking over, interjecting himself in shows, raising the ire of All Japan fans and provoking New Japan in the press by insulting Riki Choshu and criticising their brand of 'fixed' wrestling. He wants to do less of the choreographed stuff and more hard-hitting, strong style & shootstyle influenced wrestling.

As for Mutoh starting a new promotion, that is really not what wrestling in Japan needs right now. It has been speculated that if he can't start a promotion, he'll form a dojo instead where he trains students and represents freelance wrestlers, much like Kensuke Sasaki currently does with his Diamond Ring school. If a deal could be struck to bring Mutoh and the other guys leaving with him to New Japan, that would be potentially huge - Hayashi & Kondo would be the perfect shot in the arm for NJPW's ailing Jr's division, while Sanada & KAI (especially KAI, coming off a huge Champion Carnival) would be good additions to the heavyweight roster.

Don't know about his immediate future, but I can guarantee Muto will wrestle at the next Tokyo Dome shot. He's going to want as big a platform he can get for whatever he will be doing at the time.

strobogo

Banned
MS even have a limit of users you can add per day as friends if you don't have Gold. It took me three days to add all my friends on the 360 lol.

That makes no sense. What possible reasoning do they use for that?

You'd think Japan would have learned by now that mixing shootstyle/MMA stuff with your pro wrasslers doesn't work out very well. You know what would be even better? If they had shoot/MMA guys invade and try to take over AJPW and spend the next two years having them battle it out for shoot worked shootstyle shoot fighting wrestling championship supremacy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

As insane as it sounds, I hope Mutoh stays in the ring and out of peoples' pockets from now on. Greedy and not shrewd at all. And he doesn't need to be in the ring anymore, dude's toast.

He's a man who business has treated poorly, and he's done the same in return.

Aiii

So not worth it

AJ probably. She said in an interview they give her alot of freedom on the mic.

We can rule out Creative due to continuity. Might be Ziggler helped her, since they are dating. She also said Cena mentors her, he was in that storyline, but I doubt he pays attention to anyone beside himself that much.

Yeah gonna say AJ, since this was her best mic work yet it was clearly not given to her a few minutes ahead. Awesome though, whoever it was.

Kinda hoping this fued continues, even though AJ should win the belt soooner rather than later.

Penguin

AJ probably. She said in an interview they give her alot of freedom on the mic.

We can rule out Creative due to continuity. Might be Ziggler helped her, since they are dating. She also said Cena mentors her, he was in that storyline, but I doubt he pays attention to anyone beside himself that much.

Yeah gonna say AJ, since this was her best mic work yet it was clearly not given to her a few minutes ahead. Awesome though, whoever it was.

Kinda hoping this fued continues, even though AJ should win the belt soooner rather than later.

Naw I think Kaitlyn needs to win on Sunday and then really kick it into gears with mind games.

When AJ wins, it should probably be at SummerSlam

Aiii

So not worth it
Naw I think Kaitlyn needs to win on Sunday and then really kick it into gears with mind games.

When AJ wins, it should probably be at SummerSlam

Would be great, but long term womens booking... I need to see it to believe it.

Plus I like the idea of AJ and Ziggler both being champ. Feud can continue with AJ as champ though.

I definitely remembered the trash bit but I didn't realize she did the whole thing verbatim. The Chickbusters explode is a weirdly good storyline for all of the bullshit that's been attached to it.

Almost a new Paige;

i98ZQcxRyNIVw.jpg

Don't know about his immediate future, but I can guarantee Muto will wrestle at the next Tokyo Dome shot. He's going to want as big a platform he can get for whatever he will be doing at the time.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that match with Daichi that was supposed to happen at the last Dome show.

You'd think Japan would have learned by now that mixing shootstyle/MMA stuff with your pro wrasslers doesn't work out very well. You know what would be even better? If they had shoot/MMA guys invade and try to take over AJPW and spend the next two years having them battle it out for shoot worked shootstyle shoot fighting wrestling championship supremacy.

I thought we were going to get something like that with Sakuraba & Shibata in New Japan, as the crowd reaction for it was great, but they seem to have backed away from making it a whole shootstyle invasion sort of thing, which is a shame as the various NJPW vs UWF feuds were awesome.

Top Bottom