• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Kaladin

What the fuck, had I known how much of a pain in the ass it is to legally watch blurays on your PC, I wouldn't have picked up this drive.

Yeah, my blu-ray drive was the biggest waste of money in building my current PC. I hardly ever use it except as a second DVD/CD drive.

gurudyne

CoP fit Punk when he returned w/ the strap.

I miss the Fire Burns.

CoP never fit Punk. I mean the lyrics sort of match his gimmick, but it's about a good a fit as those stupid YouTube videos where people put Linkin Park songs over Final Fantasy FMVs. No subtlety whatsoever. And I don't think it fit him when he returned. He came back over from the pipe bomb promo so yeah, personality was the draw, but he didn't take the con-man playing-the-fans heel turn until much later on.

Those problems are just the lyrics; the music itself never fit. I'll admit, this one's more subjective, but it doesn't fit him as a wrestler (too soft/light/melodic) and it doesn't fit as a wrestling theme at all (too soft, no hook).

bangai-o

Banned
What the fuck, had I known how much of a pain in the ass it is to legally watch blurays on your PC, I wouldn't have picked up this drive.

a bunch of reviews of Dredd 3d were complaining about the Bluray not working on their PC. It kept saying they need to update their sofware. VHS wins lol.

gurudyne

can't you just use VLC and be good to go? Even if the drive is OEM?

BluRay isn't DVD; it's not as open source, so whoever owns the copyright charges companies who develop software to play it. There are only two real options I've come across and both were 80 dollars last I checked.

jmdajr

Nope. I put all the files that need to be where they needed to be and VLC still wouldn't work. Why the hell do you have to get paid software to watch the discs? That shit is nonsense.

You need something like AnyDVD to decrypt all that nonsense. It's not cheap these days though.

Kaladin

There were reports that Windows 8 Media Center Pro would add native blu-ray support but that turned out to be false.

It really is an oversight that the OS doesn't support blu-ray discs by now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Almost a new Paige;

i98ZQcxRyNIVw.jpg
ijkol3n5iol23hnjo4ihjo3ihjn

Kaladin

Eh, at worst you've spent $200 or so on a second DVD burner......or you spend the $80 to legally get software to play a Blu-Ray on your PC.....and by that time you realize that you should have just bought a blu-ray player.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I like blu-ray on my pc, I like taking screens of my favorite shows/movies:
Granted you need to buy software to bypass any DRM-protection(makemkv or anydvd, come to mind.) But once you have that, you can make your rips, or copy the file directly for 1080p glory.
Windows 8 doesn't even fucking support DVDs.
..Yes it does. If you mean Windows Media Player on Windows 8 doesn't play dvd's then yeah it does not. Why? I have no idea. But you can play DVD's with every other media player, vlc, mpc, gom, etc.

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit. Now I'm blocked from playing Predator because DRM will not allow for a bluray to be played over an analog connection. You have got to be fucking kidding me. You MUST have HDMI/DVI hooked up to your PC. This is straight up ridiculous. No wonder everyone pirates shit.

Kaladin

Nights 1 & 2 of the AIW JT Lightning Invitational Tournament are up on DVD or MP4 download over at; http://smartmarkvideo.com

Also, watching some Dragon Gate earlier, Shingo's finisher 'Made in Japan' is just amazingly brutal;

I'm curious, with Chikara gone, do you think there are any indies like AIW who are poised to move up in the ranks?

Lets face it, I doubt Wrestling Is.... will hold the popularity that the Chikara brand has gained, and if Chikara comes back I doubt it will be the same as it was.....also, Chikara is pretty silent so far for this to be an angle.

Holy shit. Now I'm blocked from playing Predator because DRM will not allow for a bluray to be played over an analog connection. You have got to be fucking kidding me. You MUST have HDMI/DVI hooked up to your PC. This is straight up ridiculous. No wonder everyone pirates shit.

I don't think that's DRM, that's just the way blu-ray players work. You have to have an HDMI or DVI cable to get true HD. Same thing happens on a PS3.

I think the best out of the drawings is Dustin Rhodes as an Egyptian pharaoh who cosplays as Ric Flair. So strange that was in the original idea for what would become Goldust. The only game I've really played online is Peace Walker and that's just to have someone to help me beat some missions, not vs mode at all.

The golddust sketch looks like a ripoff of Welsh wrestler Adrian Street

When Athena hits it well, the O Face is a really cool finisher;

ibkgO95jWjRC9J.gif

I also really like that back handspring lariat in the corner she does.

I'm curious, with Chikara gone, do you think there are any indies like AIW who are poised to move up in the ranks?

Lets face it, I doubt Wrestling Is.... will hold the popularity that the Chikara brand has gained, and if Chikara comes back I doubt it will be the same as it was.....also, Chikara is pretty silent so far for this to be an angle.

I wouldn't be at all surprised - AIW & AAW in particular have made some big waves this past year or so, lots of great shows between the two using some of the best indie talent that's on offer, as well as some lesser known names and home-grown talent who are about ready to break out. It remains to be seen how much this whole thing will affect CHIKARA's fan base in the long term, but I could definitely see some other indies benefiting from this.

strobogo

Banned

I don't think that's DRM, that's just the way blu-ray players work. You have to have an HDMI or DVI cable to get true HD. Same thing happens on a PS3.

It says it is due to DRM guidelines. This shit is ridiculous. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

strobogo

Banned
But not allowing it to run at all because of it? That's some bullshit and a half. I only got this thing so I could get the bonus and commentary from movies from the libarry.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But not allowing it to run at all because of it? That's some bullshit and a half. I only got this thing so I could get the bonus and commentary from movies from the libarry.

Are you legit shook from this treatment?

if7XUsgINi4bt.gif

Real talk, I keep it out of Wrasslegaf now that it's gone mainstream. Thumbs up.

DKehoe

You'd think Japan would have learned by now that mixing shootstyle/MMA stuff with your pro wrasslers doesn't work out very well. You know what would be even better? If they had shoot/MMA guys invade and try to take over AJPW and spend the next two years having them battle it out for shoot worked shootstyle shoot fighting wrestling championship supremacy.

Aren't there quite a few examples of it working well? The UWFi/NJPW fued was huge, Shibata/Sakuraba have gotten over pretty well and PRIDE (which was pretty much treated and promoted as pro wrestling in Japan) did big business having pro wrestlers in shoot fights.

Also, dat Paige.

Adrian Street mention? As good excuse as any to post one of my all-time favourite wrestling photos;

iSPpoOnudcfAk.jpg

Yep there is no way Golddust wasn't influenced by this

Oh and just for you Bootaaaay, my UK indie fave five (from only a couple of live events and youtube)

1) Danny Hope (tasselmania is running wild - plus he makes a lot of the ring gear for uk guys)
2) Noam Dar - 19 and already looking really talented and his Morning Glory entrance is awesome
3) Kris Travis - dude sells like an animal
4) Dave Mastiff - stiff as fuck
5) Man Man Manson / Dave Rayne - brilliant in comedy spots

Ok I cheated I bit with number one but you have to love a comedy gimmick now and then, its Fandango level bad but he is having fun with it

Liger has been announced for PCW in November along with Masters, Uha, Shannon Moore, Hardcore Holly and Steen, ill get front row seats but not too sure about some of those imports I think a couple is enough and let the UK guys shine

My mate is Thinking of taking in a futureshock event and an Infinite show in Liverpool, may go along should be fun

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yep there is no way Golddust wasn't influenced by this

Oh and just for you Bootaaaay, my UK indie fave five (from only a couple of live events and youtube)

1) Danny Hope (tasselmania is running wild - plus he makes a lot of the ring gear for uk guys)
2) Noam Dar - 19 and already looking really talented and his Morning Glory entrance is awesome

Ok I cheated I bit with number one but you have to love a comedy gimmick now and then, its Fandango level bad but he is having fun with it

Liger has been announced for PCW in November along with Masters, Uha, Shannon Moore, Hardcore Holly and Steen, ill get front row seats but not too sure about some of those imports I think a couple is enough and let the UK guys shine

My mate is Thinking of taking in a futureshock event and an Infinite show in Liverpool, may go along should be fun

Keeping ALL these dudes in mind, I've been branching out to UK stuff as much as I can lately but I'm going to be making a concerted effort. Boots had linked some the other week and I'm interested, oh so interested. Seen Dave Mastiff, amazing shit. Will need to look at more Noam Dar.

Nice, I'm not familiar with Hope, but I'll keep an eye out for him - saw Travis teaming with Martin Kirby as Project EGO at the PROGRESS show I went too and they both really impressed. I'd say my top 5 at the moment are;

1. Zack Sabre Jr. - best technical wrestler in the UK, one of the best in the world
2. Noam Dar - like you said, he's crazy talented for his age, kid's a future star.
3. Mark Andrews - excellent high-flyer, loved his match against Will Osprey, who is another great high flyer.
4. The London Riots - great bruiser tag team, lot of fun to watch physically abuse guys in the ring and verbally abuse the fans ringside.
5. Dave Mastiff - an absolute beast of a man.

Obviously rather PROGRESS centric, but I'm checking out a Revolution Pro show in October that features New Japan ace Hiroshi Tanahashi! Super excited for that one. Also, get to see Doug Williams wrestle at the next PROGRESS show, which should be awesome.

Jeff Albertson said:

Yeah, PCW seem to be bringing in a lot of foreign guys, but it seems to be working for them - I'm not sure what their attendances are like, but it always seems like a packed, lively show on the few videos I've seen online. Heard of Futureshock before, but never seen anything from them.

Sunflower said:
Keeping ALL these dudes in mind, I've been branching out to UK stuff as much as I can lately but I'm going to be making a concerted effort. Boots had linked some the other week and I'm interested, oh so interested. Seen Dave Mastiff, amazing shit. Will need to look at more Noam Dar.

Here's a match of Noam's from PROGRESS Chapter 1;

El Ligero vs Noam Dar - (PROGRESS 03/25/12)

Also, you can grab the first four PROGRESS shows as digital downloads from their website - well worth the asking price, especially Chapters 1 & 4;

http://progresswrestling.com/merch/

Great opening match at the JT Lightning Invitational Tournament - Kimber Lee is one tough lady and more than takes her lumps against Bobby Beverly, but also dishes out her fair share of punishment. She's definitely one of the hardest hitting women's wrestlers about at the moment, which is all the more impressive considering she's only a 3 year pro.

Fucking sick apron kick from Beverly;

iuvYX56ap249H.gif

Machine Gun chopuuuuu;

irj3EpsnorRF6.gif

Remember how good X-Pac was for his age?

Yeah, he had some sort of back injury that set him back for a while didn't he? Or he cracked his skull, or something. I can't remember.

That sucks. I've been thinking about getting a PC drive for a while now, since I have my PC hooked up to my TV anyway, but didn't know that there were hoops to jump through to actually play them.

gurudyne

That sucks. I've been thinking about getting a PC drive for a while now, since I have my PC hooked up to my TV anyway, but didn't know that there were hoops to jump through to actually play them.

They aren't insurmountable, just plan to spend additional money on software because most drives don't come with any. And research the hell out of what you want in the software, because it seems they aren't all built the same.

strobogo

Banned
You have to buy software that not all movies actually work with, since each company has their own settings apparently. So you could buy an $80 software package and still have random movies not work because some random movie studio doesn't like it. And if your monitor isn't hooked up with HDMI or DVI, it won't work regardless. I don't even understand that. They've been selling BR drives for years before HDMI became so common place.

I can't believe there isn't native support for BR by Windows 7. Or 8. I mean, what the fuck. Sony can suck it. This makes me not want to pick up a PS4 out of principle for shitty business practices. The only way I can watch these, even with the disc and the drive, is to rip them first. That should never be the case for someone who is trying to legally watch a movie. I have to do something illegal just to watch them.

"Hey guys let's fuck things up again!"
- As of this week, Ryback is not scheduled to win the WWE Title from John Cena at Sunday’s Payback pay-per-view. The whole idea behind the Three Stages of Hell match is that it will be used as a vehicle to get Cena over big for the summer.

- The Payback card was changed over the weekend. WWE announced Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns on RAW but as of last Saturday, the plan was to do a Bryan vs. Orton singles match.

At last word, Bryan is still scheduled to be part of the WWE Title picture in July and August of this year.

- On a related note, it’s possible we see two heels turns at Payback, one with Bryan and the other with Chris Jericho.

Source: F4Wonline.com

Of course it is dirtsheets, but the fact that it's being brought up, is unbelievable. Heel Bryan vs FACE Cena. No way Bryan's winning clean. At best, Ryback interferes with a shellshock and Bryan with a flying headbutt with ref slowly counting after a bump.

Heel Bryan's happening, Calling it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Heel Bryan is NOT happening. I'd stake my life on it!

Your typical chickenshit heel champion then subsequently losing it cleanly in a 10 minute match to Cena is what Bryan will ever amount to as long as Vince's dick is still hard.

As a wrestling fan for about most of my life, I've come prepared to think of the worst possible ways ever on how certain angles play out just to be as less angry as possible. I'm sure we've all done this before

somedevil

"Hey guys let's fuck things up again!"

Of course it is dirtsheets, but the fact that it's being brought up, is unbelievable. Heel Bryan vs FACE Cena. No way Bryan's winning clean. At best, Ryback interferes with a shellshock and Bryan with a flying headbutt with ref slowly counting after a bump.

Heel Bryan's happening, Calling it.

The funny thing is that Meltzer has been saying the match will be face vs face. I think he just playing both sides to make sure he is right. Also, the next pay per view is in Philadelphia. No way Bryan is getting booed. Also, they seem to be doing money in the bank and summerslam.

Bryan right now is the hottest babyface they have. They gave him something on Smackdown that Cena has never done. To turn him is just stupid but I bet if it happens its all Vince because in his mind its Cena and everyone else.

Top Bottom