• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World 2: More animatronics, scarier story, 'not about militarized dinosaurs'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin Trevorrow talked all things Jurassic World 2 on a podcast today, and shared quite a bit of details about where things are going. J.A. Bayona also joins the discussion at the end, and there are a ton of details discussed.. but here's a quick summary:

• (On J.A. Bayonas involvement)“It will be more suspenseful and scary. It’s just the way it’s designed; it’s the way the story plays out. I knew I wanted Bayona to direct it long before anyone ever heard that was a possibility, so the whole thing was just built around his skillset.”
  • “Film has become so cutthroat and competitive; it felt like an opportunity to create a situation where two directors could really collaborate. It’s rare these days, but it’s something that the directors that we admire used to do all the time—one writes and produces and the other directs, and the end result is something that’s unique to both of them. I’m in the office right now, I’ve been here every day since July working closely with J.A., listening to his instincts, and honing the script with Derek to make sure it’s something that all of us believe in.”
  • Jurassic World was built upon 12 years ideas from Steven Spielberg, but the sequel is fresh territory to go in whichever direction they [Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg] choose.
  • "Jurassic World had to restart the engine. This movie has to prove it has a reason to exist"
  • Jurassic World 2 is "Built upon the concepts and stories that Crichton created with the novels."
  • "A mistake made a long time ago just can't be undone." is a real world theme that plays heavily into JW2. "You can't put it back into the box"
  • Dialog from the first book is in JW2. "It makes me feel like such a good writer (...) Look at me, that's a hell of a sentence"
  • Crichton has the ability to make things completely bonkers feel real and motivated. That's the goal with these movies, to make these large ideas feel part of our world.
  • This movie doesn't need to be 'bigger'. It's not about 'bigger better dinosaurs' or 'bigger action sequences'. Brings up Raptors in the Kitchen scene vs Indominus Rex Helicopter explosion, and how the simplicity of the former is just as effective - of not more.
  • “I think the lack of animatronics in Jurassic World had more to do with the physicality of the Indominus, the way the animal moved. It was very fast and fluid, it ran a lot, and needed to move its arms and legs and neck and tail all at once. It wasn’t a lumbering creature. We’ve written some opportunities for animatronics into [Jurassic World 2]—because it has to start at the script level—and I can definitely tell you that Bayona has the same priorities, he is all about going practical whenever possible.”
  • Budgetary requirements of JW also led to less animatronics. One of the rewards of success is they can make more with JW2. They will utilize the general animatronic rules of the franchise: best used when standing still, or with less complex actions.
  • Even when working with CG, it's important to work with real effects as well. (For example: a model helicopter was built for JW crash.)
  • [ILM] are looking into using motion capture on real animals for JW2 - beyond traditional motion studies.
  • With JW he sometimes gave instructions to animate the Indominus like it was a animatronic
  • There are new dinosaurs in the movie which were real and existed. They are looking at existing paleoart, and defining the Jurassic Park version from there: there is a specific look to Stan Winston dinosaurs, and it's important to stay true to it.
  • Colin is proudly 'guilty' of caring about the Dinosaurs as much as the people. They're characters.
  • On feathered dinosaurs: Jurassic World addressed the issue of featherless dinosaurs with Dr. Wu's speech. "Whether or not that will evolve or change over the course of the films? I cannot tell you. We will see."
  • Hawaii is a primary location but not the only one. But yes, part of the story takes place in the familiar fictional territory Hawaii represents.
  • The movie does not take place in the UK, they're only making the movie there. So, no dinosaurs rampaging through London.
  • On militarized dinosaurs in JW2 “I’m not that interested in militarized dinosaurs, at least not in practice. I liked it in theory as the pipe dream of a lunatic [Hoskins]. When that idea was first presented to me as part of an earlier script it was something that the character that ended up being Owen was for, that he supported, something that he was actively doing even at the beginning. Derek and I, one of our first reactions was ‘No if anyone’s gonna militarize raptors that’s what the bad guy does, he’s insane.’”
  • "Jurassic World War feels like a cartoon to me. I'd watch that cartoon with my kid, but I wouldn't make it." - It's not the sequel, but don't let that stop you from making the fun fanart!
  • Jurassic World 2 is about our relationship with animals, and how we share the planet with other living things. There's mention of militarization in the sequel, but there's also mention of open source and humans living along dinosaurs - he favors the latter for the sequels story.
  • On how much he had planned for the trilogy when making Jurassic World: "I knew the end. I knew where I wanted it to go."
  • Kids who saw Jurassic World will be threes years older by JW2. A jump from 9 years old to 12 is huge. It's about making the story grow up for them, and it's why he's bringing in a Spanish horror director.
  • The structure of Jurassic World was about getting bigger and bigger as the story progressed. JW2 is very inspired by the structure Jurassic Park (which had its biggest sequence in the middle and then funneled into a series of claustrophobic and intimate scenes towards the end).
  • J.A. Bayona on the sequel: "I was very surprised by the story." He likes the idea of having a lot of things you do not expect, but also remain respectful to the tradition and legacy. "There are things you really don't expect and it is very exciting"
  • Jurassic World 2 does have a title, but it remains secret, and they won't share when it'll go public

Again, there's a ton more worth catching in the podcast itself, so give it a listen!

rGAazSaAw544w.gif

All good words but Colin said a lot of good stuff prior to Jurassic World and he ended up treating the IP with the discipline of a kid who had found his dad's gun, so I remain cautious until I actually see something worth getting excited about.

On militarized dinosaurs in JW2 “I’m not that interested in militarized dinosaurs, at least not in practice. I liked it in theory as the pipe dream of a lunatic [Hoskins]. When that idea was first presented to me as part of an earlier script it was something that the character that ended up being Owen was for, that he supported, something that he was actively doing even at the beginning. Derek and I, one of our first reactions was ‘No if anyone’s gonna militarize raptors that’s what the bad guy does, he’s insane."

Thank god.

Hopeford

On how much he had planned for the trilogy when making Jurassic World: "I knew the end. I knew where I wanted it to go."

Generally the kind of answer that makes me worry for movie 2 in a trilogy haha.

Gonna be optimistic about it though. I enjoyed the first movie a lot, so hey, gonna hope the second one entertains me too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So my mom and sister kinda let the cows out of the barn by letting my 2 and 4 year old nephews watch Dinosaur movies. So I've now seen 1-4 more times than I thought possible. JW is garbage...but less garbage than 2 or 3. The original JP is still a masterpiece, and oddly because of how it off screens most of the physical violence it is actually pretty tame for the youngsters.

None of them have shit on the violent spectacle that is the Korean movie The Dino King, which is like Jurassic Park meets Game of Thrones. That movie is a murderfest...and my two year old nephew's favorite movie. It's on Netflix. Has lots of good looking but poorly animated dino CGI.

jelly

Where can they go now. Let's head to dinosaur land for the
mcguffin but don't worry we have the gear and skills, teens tag along, mischievous stuff gets the we're fucked ball rolling.

Dinosaurs build boats, raptors run really fast across water and reach civilisation and run into on leave marine and his mischievous teenage kids. Shit goes bad.

World sucked but this director they got is dope, so I'm a little more optimistic about this one. Does this share the same writers as jurassic world though?

Edit: same writers.....hell nah. The shift in tone and idea could still make it better though.

Nev

Banned
Is Bayona the director or is it some kind of weird collab? If he's directing alone then there's some hope for this franchise to be good again after the pile of trash that was JW. If Trevorrow is somehow involved in the directing I'm out.

Randdalf

Holy shit all of that sounds so good.

Yeah, especially the nods to Crichton and the first book. There's also material from the 2nd book that I think would be amazing on-screen, such as the raptor-cage scene. The thing they really need to nail is everything falling apart. Jurassic Park is in essence a disaster movie, and I felt JW was a bit too fast at escalating the situation.

Real Hero

world was the most insulting piece of garbage I have ever seen. I've seen technically worse films but Jurassic World is easily my least favourite film ever, so 2 can't be any worse.

[*] This movie doesn't need to be 'bigger'. It's not about 'bigger better dinosaurs' or 'bigger action sequences'. Brings up Raptors in the Kitchen scene vs Indominus Rex Helicopter explosion, and how the simplicity of the former is just as effective - of not more.

i had to google Indominus Rex Helicopter explosion bc i couldn't remember anything about that scene. turns out it's a shot lasting a couple seconds of a helicopter exploding behind a dinosaur.

comparing that to the kitchen scene doesn't even make sense. kitchen scene has tension, has build-up, has it's own story, and has characters that are in very real danger. Indominus Rex scene (even including the whole sequence of him escaping) is basically just a bunch of CGI shit flying around.

Jurassic World was alright but the best bits were almost 100% rip-offs from earlier movies, i don't expect them to veer far from that formula.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like JW1 even if it's not my favorite JP film. It's probably 2nd or tied for second. That's not too shabby for a fourth entry in the franchise when you consider just how high the JP1 bar is.

More animatronics, scarier, NOT about militarized dinosaurs... this is all encouraging, IMO. I always felt like the militarized dino angle, while somewhat intriguing, didn't feel like an idea that could hold an entire film and still be GOOD. Just feels like it lends itself too much towards very corny low-tier sci-fi to me.

As for animatronics, they can be very additive to the film if used properly. I still love most of the animatronic stuff from the first JP film.

I mean come on... it gave us stuff like this

Jurassic-Park-Gifs-jurassic-park-28760128-500-200.gif

Can't wait to learn more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom