• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

Boy has 'As the Jurassic World Turns' grown on me. Especially considering the scene, it's perfect.

It's really grown a lot on me too, having listened to it about three times now.

The second half is really great too, transitioning through different tones. So gooooood.

5:30 mark sound like a track used when showcasing the Raptors, maybe when they're showing their more vicious side and attacking humans.

7:46 mark is the I-Rex theme I figure.

The Lost World isn't about dinosaurs. It's about how fucking smart and right and correct Ian Malcolm is, and how absurdly idiotic every single other character is. I mean yeah, I think Jurassic Park should be more about the could/should nature of genetic tampering especially for corporations trying to make money but The Lost World does an incredibly stupid rendition of this by having the antagonist be a complete imbecile; no one in their right mind would make the choices he does. Yes, let's tranq a Tyrannosaurus Rex and put it on a boat destined to San Francisco, California.

Dinosaurs are part of the equation, but you're right, the second movie just doesn't do anything interesting or new with them. It doesn't experiment nor raise any additional questions. There's literally nothing unique or interesting about anything in that movie, whereas I at least enjoy watching the raptor behaviors in the third movie, seeing the pteranodons was cool, and just simply more dinosaurs in broad daylight. The story is nothing special, but I don't find it stupid. It's relatively empty, vapid... but a means to an end: go to the island and have some dinosaur action. Only with characters, despite having annoying attributes, that I find far more realistic and grounded. Relatable. I want to punch everyone in the second movie in the dick. Including John Hammond.

For me it's the complete flip flop, where I want to punch every character in JP3 in the dick repeatedly lol

Dinosaur nesting behavior was a big theme in TLW; it's practically all Sarah talks about and becomes the catalyst for the events that happen. Also them "kidnapping" a baby T-Rex to reset its fractured limb, and then returning it to its angry parents is pretty damn similar to the Raptor plot of JP3, except it's because Billy was somehow going to sell live raptor eggs to the black market somehow to fund their research.

Guess it's all just perspective! I think a family of ordinary people on an island full of dinosaurs can be acceptably "stupid." I mean, it's easy to hate the scene where Amanda screams for like 20 seconds when the skeleton drops, but, she would. At the very least I didn't find that stuff unrealistic. Now, a middle-aged man, who is also a paleontologist, running out of a hiding spot because a snake crawled into his vest, when the alternative is a Tyrannosaurs Rex, is both ignorantly and intellectually offensive. It's like, whatever "dumb" moments I can think of in the third one, there are one or more things in the second one that are arguably worse.

It's examples like this that separate the two sequels for me. The second one had Spielberg's expertise, but at the same time he was clearly about as into it as Koepp was writing the script, and Joe Johnston was actually thrilled to work on the next one as he wanted to do the second as well. I don't think Johnston is as talented as Spielberg, obviously, but he's still a fine director that at least brought some energy and charm to it. The second movie is about as charming as a stagnant pond. I like for some play in these movies. The original had scenes like the sick Triceratops, feeding the Brach, Tim pestering Grant, and so on.

I'm not saying the third movie was full of that, but it had some moments like Eric closing the hatch as the compies pass by with very whimsical music from Don Davis, and I just appreciate how vibrantly the dinosaurs are portrayed in it as opposed to the second movie, where again everything is just so damn drab, ugly, and lifeless.

As far as Billy selling the eggs on the "black market," I'm willing to buy it at least within the context of a science fiction action film. They were obviously struggling with research funding and it's implied that Billy had a run-in with the Kirby's first, so he was probably thinking go find Eric and hopefully find something that could net them a lot of money in the process. Whether or not he could realistically find a way to sell them, who knows. It doesn't really matter because it never quite gets there.

what the FUCK!?!?!?!

First, notice the release date, June 12, 2015.
6/12/15 = 6+12+15 = 33
Next, notice the title and director.
Jurassic = 1+3+9+1+1+1+9+3 = 28/47
World = 5+6+9+3+4 = 27
Jurassic World = 55/74
Director.
Colin = 3+6+3+9+5 = 26
Trevorrow = 2+9+5+4+6+9+9+6+5 = 55
Like so many Hollywood Movies, the director names corresponds with the Title. And like all Hollywood movies, the music composer has a '33 name', something with almost a perfect track record.
Michael = 4+9+3+8+1+5+3 = 33
Giacchino = 7+9+1+3+3+8+9+5+6 = 51
Michael Giacchino = 84
M = 13 = 4
G = 7
MG = 47
Recall the first Jurassic Park movie was released in '93, and made by Steven Spielberg.
Spielberg = 19+16+9+5+12+2+5+18+7 = 93

what the FUCK!?!?!?!

6/12/15 = 6+12+15 = 33
World = 5+6+9+3+4 = 27
Jurassic World = 55/74
Director.
Colin = 3+6+3+9+5 = 26
Like so many Hollywood Movies, the director names corresponds with the Title. And like all Hollywood movies, the music composer has a '33 name', something with almost a perfect track record.
Michael Giacchino = 84
M = 13 = 4
G = 7
MG = 47
Recall the first Jurassic Park movie was released in '93, and made by Steven Spielberg.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

I was just looking for potentially more soundtrack leaks and Lord Google brought me to this. Under the search result I saw "director Colin Giacchino" and giggled so I had to take a look.

I wasn't ready.

what the FUCK!?!?!?!

6/12/15 = 6+12+15 = 33
World = 5+6+9+3+4 = 27
Jurassic World = 55/74
Director.
Colin = 3+6+3+9+5 = 26
Michael Giacchino = 84
M = 13 = 4
G = 7
MG = 47

qCW7nXF.gif

atomsk

Party Pooper
went and saw Mad Max today and the JW trailer had bits I don't remember from any of the TV spots. Some cuts with Hoskins, and a longer cut (or maybe just not sped up?) of the Mosasaur snapping up the Ptera

Stopped by DQ on the way home and they didn't have the JW cups. =(

Jawmuncher

went and saw Mad Max today and the JW trailer had bits I don't remember from any of the TV spots. Some cuts with Hoskins, and a longer cut (or maybe just not sped up?) of the Mosasaur snapping up the Ptera

Stopped by DQ on the way home and they didn't have the JW cups. =(

Need to call tomorrow to see if they even have the JW themed blizzard yet.

First trailer was way too early. I think the beginning of it is awesome but the way they cut it and the dialogue/takes in the latter half plus dropping the motorcycle shot out of context, I can see leading to some laughs.

Bernbaum

Does anyone know where exactly in the book does Wu talk about the Dinosaur appearances? In regards to feathers?

He doesn't mention feathers, rather just the behaviour of the dinosaurs being much faster and intelligent than what people's expectations were. He wanted to slow them down and suggested the idea to Hammond, which Hammond refused.

There is a possible conceit in the screenplay that the dinosaurs in JW are 'tailored' to be featherless to meet the expectations of the park visitors, but I don't think it will be acknowledged in the film at all.

I really don't care about the feathers issue. The film aims to channel the nostalgia of the 1993 original and it would be inconsistent to all of a sudden stick feathers on the dinosaurs simply to capture current scientific evidence. They could put feathers in Jurassic World if they wanted to, but it would essentially be a retcon of everything that has gone before in the previous films. Yes, they could explain it away with 'advanced genetic procedures' finally recreating dinosaurs with feathers, but that's not what the 2015 film is about.

I'm more interested in the fiction of the Jurassic Park universe than in seeing a scientifically accurate representation of the resurrected creatures.

Toa TAK

Banned
He doesn't mention feathers, rather just the behaviour of the dinosaurs being much faster and intelligent than what people's expectations were. He wanted to slow them down and suggested the idea to Hammond, which Hammond refused.

There is a possible conceit in the screenplay that the dinosaurs in JW are 'tailored' to be featherless to meet the expectations of the park visitors, but I don't think it will be acknowledged in the film at all.

I really don't care about the feathers issue. The film aims to channel the nostalgia of the 1993 original and it would be inconsistent to all of a sudden stick feathers on the dinosaurs simply to capture current scientific evidence. They could put feathers in Jurassic World if they wanted to, but it would essentially be a retcon of everything that has gone before in the previous films. Yes, they could explain it away with 'advanced genetic procedures' finally recreating dinosaurs with feathers, but that's not what the 2015 film is about.

I'm more interested in the fiction of the Jurassic Park universe than in seeing a scientifically accurate representation of the resurrected creatures.
Sure, but do you know where in the book? Chapter?

Bernbaum

Sure, but do you know where in the book? Chapter?

I think the chapter is called 'Version 4.4'. It's early in the book, before shit goes south, so I think it's about a quarter of the way though.

Edit: Just check my hardcopy - it's on page 122 on my 400 page print edition. I have it on kindle too but can't be fucked finding the location number.

Bernbaum

Hang on, I just learned this was shot in 3D, and not post-processed like I assumed it would be.

The only films I ever enjoyed in 3D were Avatar and Prometheus - two films that were shot stereoscopically. I had fun at the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park, but mostly because of the opportunity to experience the fantastic sound and music production in a cinema again, not because of 3D.

I still think I'll see the premiere in 2D, as I have trouble being fully aware of what's on-screen in 3D, then watch it again on the weekend in 3D.

Hang on, I just learned this was shot in 3D, and not post-processed like I assumed it would be.

The only films I ever enjoyed in 3D were Avatar and Prometheus - two films that were shot stereoscopically. I had fun at the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park, but mostly because of the opportunity to experience the fantastic sound and music production in a cinema again, not because of 3D.

I still think I'll see the premiere in 2D, as I have trouble being fully aware of what's on-screen in 3D, then watch it again on the weekend in 3D.

It was shot in 2D- 35mm and 65mm. The post conversion was done by Stereo D if I am not mistaken.

I have to say I was all about watching this for the first time the traditional way, but seeing the trailer in 3D before Ultron was relatively eye-opening. Some of those shots were incredible in 3D and I was in a pretty shit theater, so I can't imagine how great it'll be at the Orlando IMAX.

Bernbaum

I would say see it in IMAX, 2D or 3D. Post conversion isn't shit anymore.

Just make sure to see it in IMAX.

Our options are VMAX (20m, 4K projector, booked seating, nice plush seats) or IMAX (32m, no booked seating, first-come first-served, scummy seats covered in popcorn and semen, crowds of teenagers that don't like the movie and tweet/talk/make awful jokes at the screen).

We've gotten in early on the tickets at VMAX in my favourite spot. Premiere night, so should have a good audience. We'll be fine.

Superflat

Nooooo relatives are gonna be in town on June 11 AND 12, and I have to keep those nights free. That means I gotta cancel my June 11 ticket, and might not catch it on opening day either

:(

Superflat

It'll be with my eldest aunt and uncle from Korea, and they're both super high society folk compared to my family. Whenever we meet up it's usually dinner at some crazy expensive place where they'll pick up the bill. We don't meet often so I feel like everyone would rather sit around and catch instead of spending those nights watching a 2 hour movie. BUT I WANNA SEE DINOSAURESSS

Maybe I should ask my work for a day off on Friday the 12... :O

Superflat

Still wondering how they have a Jurassic Park shirt if that park never happened.
Maybe left overs from the gift shop?

Maybe in their universe they made a film adaptation of the real events of Jurassic Park (considering the lid was blown open in TLW) and the shirt was related merchandise :U

The CG in that first shot of Indominus. WOW. That looks incredible.

Still wondering how they have a Jurassic Park shirt if that park never happened.
Maybe left overs from the gift shop?

Lowery is a huge fan of the original park and ordered that shirt from ebay when all the items from the original park were confiscated by the cleanup teams; I can totally see people from the cleanup putting them out for sale. His character also acts as an anchor, like Pratt, to the audience by questioning some of the things they're doing like making a hybrid with quotes like "the thing about Jurassic Park is that they didn't need hybrids" or something like that.

The CG in that first shot of Indominus. WOW. That looks incredible.

Lowery is a huge fan of the original park and ordered that shirt from ebay when all the items from the original park were confiscated by the cleanup teams; I can totally see people from the cleanup putting them out for sale. His character also acts as an anchor, like Pratt, to the audience by questioning some of the things they're doing like making a hybrid with quotes like "the thing about Jurassic Park is that they didn't need hybrids" or something like that.
Haven't you seen the first trailer and read the synopsis? The cg looks terrible and there is no need for a hybrid dino. Movie is going to suck but I'll watch it for the direct to SyFy laughs.

Haven't you seen the first trailer and read the synopsis? The cg looks terrible and there is no need for a hybrid dino. Movie is going to suck but I'll watch it for the direct to SyFy laughs.

By looking at the CGI between that first teaser and now you'd think that they've been working on it or something since November despite what a few message board film scholars have told us.

btw totally ordering this. I'd like to buy a cap just straight up with the patch on it but it won't be too hard to find a generic cap and do it myself.

By looking at the CGI between that first teaser and now you'd think that they've been working on it or something since November despite what a few message board film scholars have told us.

btw totally ordering this. I'd like to buy a cap just straight up with the patch on it but it won't be too hard to find a generic cap and do it myself.

That's cool. The employees at my local theater have JW staff shirts. I want to apply just to get one.

Blablurn

Looking for it on android, what's it exactly called and who's it by? Too much unofficial shit.

jurassic world is the name

its an official game, buy a park, wait for ressources etc, you can speed it up with money but for me it worked without any moeny so far. i check it every 4-6 hours, and just do my thing

CF3omm6XIAE5gB5.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom