• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about Masrani's fate in this movie. The guy comes across as a total creep to me, or at least just doesn't care about the dinosaurs, just the business. It makes me wonder if he's just a businessman or if there's more to him. It'd be really interesting if both he and Hoskins survived this considering that there are planned sequels. Surely this movie will plant some seeds for whatever that is.

Superflat

Also might be late to the party but there are Jurassic world mike and Ike's. Limited tropical flavor with mystery eggs

I just got a flashback of having Jurassic Park/Lost World branded egg-shaped chocolate candy. Forget if they were just speckled candy coating over chocolate or if they had Whopper-like malt inside. I'll probably grab something similar to chomp on during the movie lol

Jawmuncher

I keep thinking about Masrani's fate in this movie. The guy comes across as a total creep to me, or at least just doesn't care about the dinosaurs, just the business. It makes me wonder if he's just a businessman or if there's more to him. It'd be really interesting if both he and Hoskins survived this considering that there are planned sequels. Surely this movie will plant some seeds for whatever that is.

I really expect the movie to end with some sort of tease. Something along the lines of "this shouldn't affect our plans for the second part" or something along those lines.

I really expect the movie to end with some sort of tease. Something along the lines of "this shouldn't affect our plans for the second part" or something along those lines.

I mean, Hoskins is described as the film's villain, so he's got to be more than just a prick and didn't one of the toys or something have a description that states that he's interested in Owen's raptor studies? It's not terribly difficult to see where this could go, and there could be an interesting angle of, you know, using data compiled by having a dinosaur theme park to using dinosaurs for other things. It would also explain why there's a subplot in this film about studying and taming raptors. It all sounds like a small thing that might spiral out into something much more.

The more I think about it the more I feel JW will be a sort of bridge into wilder ideas, such as the stuff in that draft from like a decade ago. They probably thought t was too much and decided to dial it back a lot for the actual movie while at the same time introducing these ideas in this movie to make the sequels an easier pill to swallow.

Jurassic World @jurassicparkiv 25m25 minutes ago

The first tracks of @m_giacchino's #JurassicWorld soundtrack just premiered on @WQXR! Stay tuned, we will have links soon.

DSKQjXY.gif

As the Jurassic World Turns was very pretty, but kinda generic in sound and didn't feel JP- at least not until the classic theme kicked in! However, it has more punch to it than Giacchinos normal output, so I do like it.

The second track which name we don't know was SO GOOD. It was very Williams-esque, minus the drums (there were none).

Working on getting these online.

I'd say this is new thread worthy- anyone want it?

This is the best shit I've ever heard

Generic in sound? My god we're at ends here lol

Not generic in execution though at all, which I am pleased about. It's very nice sounding. Just doesn't feel JP.

I like it none the less.

BTW that link above is reallly low quality. I'm working on getting better files online.

Sounds JP to me but I was miffed at the quality. Glad that wasn't representative as the bassiness was lacking.

But yeah, I was transported to Nublar for sure.

This is extraordinary to me. It's everything I want in a soundtrack like this. It's triumphant, gorgeous, thematic... everything I want. It brings the old theme back but it manages to thrill me without it.

This is extraordinary to me. It's everything I want in a soundtrack like this. It's triumphant, gorgeous, thematic... everything I want. It brings the old theme back but it manages to thrill me without it.
The build up to it and that off noted (or whatever) tease and the dancing strings... I can't wait to hear it in higher quality.

SoldnerKei

I saw tomorrowland today and there was a trailer I haven't seen before, nothing new, but they put something from the "will scare the kids? the kids? blah blah scare the parents" dialog on the middle, everything else is the same as every tv spot before the one they throw
the lady
into the mosasaur tank

also they picked some good voice actors for the latinamerican dub, at least for pratt and BDH, will watch it subbed first but totally gonna watch the dub too

edit: after watching some tvspots again saw this one on the recommended videos, and this one the one I saw on the cinema... weird I don't recall seeing it before since it's quite old D:

Pros: This film is more fuel for my salt cannon.

Cons: The feathers don't have dinos.

Site A.

No Jeff Grantblum.

Brandon, AKA the kids/the island/the park itself/Pratt Dallas Hybrid, stars in this.

The music sounds like a glass dish with three m&M's left.

The toys are atrocious.

Only one of those is true.

Holy shit Bryce acting the fuck outta that. That looked great.

HOLY SHIT those are the steps to the original visitor's center!

Jurassic World Holy Shit Chris Pratt Dinosaur Movie HD

Bernbaum

It's amazing what dramatically different tones they can create for the film with just subtle editing cues and different music. The pre-release material has gotten significantly darker with each spot.

I'm happy that the released Giacchino score is more in line with the original theme.

The first film had a good mix of adventure, horror and wonder. Looks like more of the same here.

Michael is skilled at doing his own thing while acknowledging pre-existing themes for scores to established franchises. He doesn't retread what other composers have did, but he makes sure to include their stamps in his work.

Bernbaum

All this excitement and revisiting of 90's Jurassic Park media has shown me just how rubbish and unnecessary the third film was. Apart from the Spinosaurus skeleton in the pavilion, I hope it's not acknowledged at all in JW. TLW is heavily flawed, but I'm at least okay with the events of that film existing in the theatrical universe.

All this excitement and revisiting of 90's Jurassic Park media has shown me just how rubbish and unnecessary the third film was. Apart from the Spinosaurus skeleton in the pavilion, I hope it's not acknowledged at all in JW. TLW is heavily flawed, but I'm at least okay with the events of that film existing in the theatrical universe.

lol, I feel the exact opposite. I rewatched it today and I honest to god think it has more of a relationship to the story than TLW, especially when it comes to the raptors. Jurassic World is clearly very much about keeping the progression of raptor intelligence going, as did the third one. TLW doesn't do anything with this or even acknowledge that it was ever a thing. It's too busy being dark, gloomy, and cynical and making Malcolm out to be God's smartest creation. I think it lacks energy, the story sucks, none of the characters are likable, and the gymnastics part and the entire San Diego climax are completely terrible and are dumber than anything in JP3, including the raptor dream. Which was dumb, but it was just a dream, and very short!

I just don't really like TLW. I don't think it's a good Jurassic Park sequel. JP3 has problems, but I think they're relatively harmless. The characters may act dumb, but think about it-- yes, Amanda can be annoying, but she has no experience in this or what she's doing. All she cares about is finding Eric. She's your typical American soccer mom. She's not a scientist or a hardened soldier. Her aim is to find her kid as fast as possible and get the fuck out of there. She may be annoying, but it makes sense, and I don't think it's the kind of annoying that makes a character bad. She's just in a situation that she doesn't know how to handle and she's terrified.

Contrast this with the characters in TLW, who are either dumb as fuck or just an unlikable prick. And in most cases, both ring true. I can't really blame the fish out of the water in JP3, but in TLW you have a bunch of supposed experts and scientists acting like moronic children and doing the dumbest shit imaginable, like hey our daughter is with us so let's hang our bloody fucking t-shirt up out to dry in the middle of this dinosaur-infested jungle and that's just one example out of many. Dieter Stark manages to get separated from a large group of like 40 people and eaten by a pack of compies when he goes to take a piss. This is the kind of fucking stupidity we're talking about here.

The soundtrack is pure excellence and the trailer cliff scene is pretty good, but the story, characters, cinematography, Kelly, Kelly gymnastics (IMO her killing a raptor by kicking it out of a window with her high school Olympics skills is far more offensive than the Spino killing the Rex), the entire fucking climax and so on are just so amazingly idiotic that it blows my mind that Spielberg was involved with it, even Koepp (who has his hits and misses). You can probably come up with a list of issues with JP3, but I think the story with the raptors is far more integral to the over-arching story than any of the bullshit in the second one, the main idea of the second one, taking dinosaurs to California is more aggressively stupid than just a basic plot of going to save a kid that got stranded on the island, and the characters, while arguably annoying, I feel are at least grounded in reality and mean well.

JP3 may have its share of problems, but again, I feel like they're mostly harmless, and it doesn't actively piss me off like the second one. It's also short and paced so quickly that it doesn't really ever stop to be dumb or bad. You can argue that there's not much to it, but I'd rather have a simple story like that than have people who should be smart wanting to open Jurassic Park on the mainland. Maybe the same argument could be made for Jurassic World, but the park has been running quite successfully for ten years.

Ludlow's plan had the Rex breaking loose on the boat before the boat could even get to the god damn dock-- and right there's a bunch of shit that doesn't make sense either. Also, please don't think I'm belittling your opinion, just explaining why I disagree and why I think TLW should be banished from existence whereas JP3 is mostly just harmless, quick fun that at least expands upon integral themes. TLW doesn't do jack shit for the story.

Boy has 'As the Jurassic World Turns' grown on me. Especially considering the scene, it's perfect.

Oh, and you're all crazzzyyyy for saying JP3 is better than TLW.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

I fucking love Giacchino, oh my god the goosebumps.

I need this soundtrack.

Superflat

lol, I feel the exact opposite. I rewatched it today and I honest to god think it has more of a relationship to the story than TLW, especially when it comes to the raptors. Jurassic World is clearly very much about keeping the progression of raptor intelligence going, as did the third one. TLW doesn't do anything with this or even acknowledge that it was ever a thing. It's too busy being dark, gloomy, and cynical and making Malcolm out to be God's smartest creation. I think it lacks energy, the story sucks, none of the characters are likable, and the gymnastics part and the entire San Diego climax are completely terrible and are dumber than anything in JP3, including the raptor dream. Which was dumb, but it was just a dream, and very short!

I just don't really like TLW. I don't think it's a good Jurassic Park sequel. JP3 has problems, but I think they're relatively harmless. The characters may act dumb, but think about it-- yes, Amanda can be annoying, but she has no experience in this or what she's doing. All she cares about is finding Eric. She's your typical American soccer mom. She's not a scientist or a hardened soldier. Her aim is to find her kid as fast as possible and get the fuck out of there. She may be annoying, but it makes sense, and I don't think it's the kind of annoying that makes a character bad. She's just in a situation that she doesn't know how to handle and she's terrified.

Contrast this with the characters in TLW, who are either dumb as fuck or just an unlikable prick. And in most cases, both ring true. I can't really blame the fish out of the water in JP3, but in TLW you have a bunch of supposed experts and scientists acting like moronic children and doing the dumbest shit imaginable, like hey our daughter is with us so let's hang our bloody fucking t-shirt up out to dry in the middle of this dinosaur-infested jungle and that's just one example out of many. Dieter Stark manages to get separated from a large group of like 40 people and eaten by a pack of compies when he goes to take a piss. This is the kind of fucking stupidity we're talking about here.

The soundtrack is pure excellence and the trailer cliff scene is pretty good, but the story, characters, cinematography, Kelly, Kelly gymnastics (IMO her killing a raptor by kicking it out of a window with her high school Olympics skills is far more offensive than the Spino killing the Rex), the entire fucking climax and so on are just so amazingly idiotic that it blows my mind that Spielberg was involved with it, even Koepp (who has his hits and misses). You can probably come up with a list of issues with JP3, but I think the story with the raptors is far more integral to the over-arching story than any of the bullshit in the second one, the main idea of the second one, taking dinosaurs to California is more aggressively stupid than just a basic plot of going to save a kid that got stranded on the island, and the characters, while arguably annoying, I feel are at least grounded in reality and mean well.

JP3 may have its share of problems, but again, I feel like they're mostly harmless, and it doesn't actively piss me off like the second one. It's also short and paced so quickly that it doesn't really ever stop to be dumb or bad. You can argue that there's not much to it, but I'd rather have a simple story like that than have people who should be smart wanting to open Jurassic Park on the mainland. Maybe the same argument could be made for Jurassic World, but the park has been running quite successfully for ten years.

Ludlow's plan had the Rex breaking loose on the boat before the boat could even get to the god damn dock-- and right there's a bunch of shit that doesn't make sense either. Also, please don't think I'm belittling your opinion, just explaining why I disagree and why I think TLW should be banished from existence whereas JP3 is mostly just harmless, quick fun that at least expands upon integral themes. TLW doesn't do jack shit for the story.

Both sequels pretty much didn't need to exist, but TLW actually showed some filmmaking prowess, and I found it less dumb (but it's still plenty dumb).

People on backpacking trips have died doing more or less what Dieter did; small, seemingly-innocuous things can snowball into a death trap in the wilderness. It was just presented poorly in the film because they didn't give a substantial enough reason as to why his detour was so disconnected from the resting team. The people in TLW were stupid, but they also didn't know what they were dealing with.

Same can be said about those in JP3, but what made me reject it from the get-go was the fact that Grant was suckered into this mess AGAIN because of money, the same EXACT way he was suckered in the first film to begin with. It's completely out of character, unless Grant really is just pathetic. Also, the parents trick Grant into thinking that they are extremely rich -- because the twist is that the father is a house-painter. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? Grant and his associate failed to do the least amount possible to verify that this was legit.

Loosely paraphrasing the pitch that the parents gave to Grant: "We are incredibly rich, just take our word for it -- nevermind that we're having this meeting in a dingy bar. It just turns out that we have permission from the Costa Rican government so that we can fly over the island! Isn't that great!? AND we can give you a blank check! Just don't cash it before you get on the plane with us, and don't do any due diligence that would instantly reveal that we are a pair of morons!" -- how story got started relied on a whirlwind of stupidity from all sides.

In TLW, Malcolm knew going to the island was a shit idea, and never would have gone if Sarah wasn't there alone and possibly already dead. Hammond already had a team that was preparing to explore Site B so Malcolm hitched a ride with them to bring Sarah back. Hammond suspected inGEN would start pillaging the island, so he notified the photographer with activist experience (he mentions working for Greenpeace) on the team to sabotage inGEN's efforts should they run into them, creating the chaos that ensues.

I also think that the way JP3 handled the raptors was pretty bad. They're already established as smart pack hunters. Throughout JP3 they're marveling at things that are kind of basic:

"They actually set a trap!"

"It's actually calling for help!"

"They can actually communicate to each other using sounds!"

That's stuff many animals today can do, why is it so special? the first JP film showed these as well, trapping Muldoon, the alpha female strategically killing the weak raptors in her pack, testing the fences for weaknesses, and coordinating/communicating with them throughout the film.

Nothing that the raptors do in JP3 is really new, other than the fact that they don't eviscerate the survivors at the end, showing that, I dunno, they're not as savage as they may seem/Grant somehow figured out the exact way to say "hey guys, I'm sorry I stole your egg" using the raptor voice box? Then Ellie calls the army, navy and the marines to save them.

As for the story and themes, while TLW is extremely thin, it can still be seen as being connected or a continuation of the events of JP in a big picture sense. The park is in ruins and Site B was destroyed from the same hurricane that rolled through in the first film. Prized assets and the result of huge investments of time and money (dinosaurs) are just roaming around the island. It's natural to see the company try to make the best of the situation and still try to find a way to monetize them as a way to recuperate. Hammond is sick and dying, so the board of money grubbing directors and his nephew are making the decisions for the company. inGEN now becomes the bad guys and Hammond becomes a naturalist, believing the dinosaurs should live naturally on the island and deserve to be left alone. Malcolm goes to Site B for personal reasons, and runs into inGEN's team, who are collecting dinosaurs for a San Diego theme park.

JP3 is completely divorced from anything that happened in the first two films, as nothing that happened in those films naturally feed into the third. It involves a clueless third party of shitty parents who tricks giant hypocritical Grant into flying onto Site B to find their son, who was involved in a paragliding accident when their boat was destroyed by a... a dinosaur in the ocean? Practically miles offshore of the island? And they later discover that the child is surviving just fine on the island like a natural Robinson Crusoe.

But above all, I just think JP3 is just a blandly directed film. TLW is cynical and gloomy, but JP3 is like a steak that has no taste. Maybe with a hint of decay.

Bernbaum

Both films have similar problems - the reasons for visiting Site B are contrived and rushed; the entire cast (with maybe the exception of the male leads) are completely unlikeable (JP3 was worse in this respect); and the story seems to exist solely to jump from each dinosaur action scene to the next.

Despite Spielberg not giving a shit with TLW, the direction is still great in parts. The trailer attack sequence is incredibly tense, and there is some masterful editing of animatronic/cgi shots where the strengths of each are used when most appropriate.

I get that the third film at least attempted to explore raptor intelligence as a central theme, but it does a very poor job of it.

I think many fans accept that neither film really moves the story forward in a significant way, but the Lost World I can at least still watch because there is at least some effort and thought put into it, despite some silly story points. Regardless, Jurassic World now exists, and it's looking to be both a great action film as well an interesting return to some of the subject matters explored in the first film and Crichton's books.

JP3 is completely divorced from anything that happened in the first two films, as nothing that happened in those films naturally feed into the third. It involves a clueless third party of shitty parents who tricks giant hypocritical Grant into flying onto Site B to find their son, who was involved in a paragliding accident when their boat was destroyed by a... a dinosaur in the ocean? Who they later find to be surviving just fine on the island like Robinson Crusoe.

Yes, that is probably my biggest issue with it. There is only token acknowledgement of the events of the first two films: Grant refusing to answer questions about 'the inGen incident' and the San Diego event, and the argument between Tea Leoni and dude from Fargo about what island they are actually on.

You know, I can't actually name a single character from JP3, they're all entirely forgettable.

Superflat

You know, I can't actually name a single character from JP3, they're all entirely forgettable.

Part of that is largely because the cast is small, but they offer so little. They boil down to: the whiny parents, Grant, the kid, and the mercenaries that serve as nothing but fodder (someone's gotta die in these movies, right?).

Grant's apprentice is pretty much never mentioned when discussing the film because he does so little and disappears for the last act (and then magically reappears). He literally only exists to steal Raptor eggs... AND WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT?? Quoting the wikia: "he was willing to take a calculated risk and put himself in danger to fund the dig site he was working at by stealing velociraptor eggs, thinking that they would be worth a fortune enough to fund his and Grant's dig site for another decade." UUHHHHHHH

ssAAkAT.gif

I refer to them so much as "the whiny parents, Grant, the kid, and the mercenaries" that I still can't remember any of their names lol

TLW has the opposite problem where it's trying to tell too many stories. Malcolm and Sarah, his relationship with his daughter/Malcolm as a father, Game hunter Roland and his "fee", Hammond vs Ludlow, Ludlow vs Malcolm, T-rex infant chronicles, San Diego theme park, etc.

There are a ton of isolated subplots and a large cast. But I'd prefer that over what I got in JP3.

People call Grant stupid for "getting suckered AGAIN" but he initially showed reluctance AND it was only supposed to be a flyover... a chance to see the dinos again from a safe place. I wouldn't refuse.

Bernbaum

People call Grant stupid for "getting suckered AGAIN" but he initially showed reluctance AND it was only supposed to be a flyover... a chance to see the dinos again from a safe place. I wouldn't refuse.

It's about as good a reason as any for the writers to get Grant back on the island but the whole movie is still hard to watch.

The Lego game can now be pre-ordered from resellers like Green Man Gaming and the Bundle Store. Hasn't shown up on Steam yet. $40.

Rootbeer

Banned
For me, I just felt like JP3 had too many callbacks, not enough fresh ideas. At least TLW had that, thanks to Spielberg's deeper involvement. And upon rewatching the trilogy recently, felt that JP3's third act is the worst.

I'm definitely a JP1 > JP2 > JP3 guy.

I can't judge a film I haven't seen, but I'd be happy if I end up feeling that JP1 > JW > JP2 > JP3.

Trying to keep my hype-levels flatlined though!

The pteranodons/river/raptors is so much better than the raptors and San Diego it's not even close as far as climaxes go and while both plots are contrived reasons to go back I think it's far more harmless in JP3. At least it wasn't some cynical reason to go and a bunch of caricatures taking dinos off the island so good guy Malcolm can point out a million times what we already know: it's dumb.

With the raptors, at least JP3 kept the story going about their intellectual evolution is all I'm saying. TLW has zilch in it that contributes to anything in the ongoing story. JP3 may not seem like much story wise but again at least some things can be seen as a bridge between JP and JW.

On top of that I think JP3 is simply nicer to look at since it wasn't shot in a mud puddle at night and the action is a lot more fun. I don't think JP should be this super dark brooding cynical thing like TLW is.

But hey, I used to think TLW was way better than JP3 once upon a time, so I'm not belittling anyone, again. I just think over time as well as getting older that TLW simply lacks that fun and spark that I look for in movies like this. JP3 I think has more optimism and charm in general.

Boy has 'As the Jurassic World Turns' grown on me. Especially considering the scene, it's perfect.

Glad you're warming up to it more! It's brilliant. It has a different sound than Williams but I think it has a different sound than Giacchino in some ways as well. Like it still has that energetic, upbeat flair, but it's still a bit different for him. I guess that I just don't really care that much for nostalgia. I want new things to be new, so I don't really care if it sounds like Jurassic Park. I think it should sound like Jurassic World :p

TLW doesn't even seem to be ABOUT dinosaurs. Someone will argue that they're not supposed to be but at least 1 and 3 discuss behavior in relationship to man and their ecology. 2 just had little nuggets of grade school facts (Pachy scene) and little more about general animal hunting and nesting behavior.

TLW doesn't even seem to be ABOUT dinosaurs. Someone will argue that they're not supposed to be but at least 1 and 3 discuss behavior in relationship to man and their ecology. 2 just had little nuggets of grade school facts (Pachy scene) and little more about general animal hunting and nesting behavior.

The Lost World isn't about dinosaurs. It's about how fucking smart and right and correct Ian Malcolm is, and how absurdly idiotic every single other character is. I mean yeah, I think Jurassic Park should be more about the could/should nature of genetic tampering especially for corporations trying to make money but The Lost World does an incredibly stupid rendition of this by having the antagonist be a complete imbecile; no one in their right mind would make the choices he does. Yes, let's tranq a Tyrannosaurus Rex and put it on a boat destined to San Francisco, California.

Dinosaurs are part of the equation, but you're right, the second movie just doesn't do anything interesting or new with them. It doesn't experiment nor raise any additional questions. There's literally nothing unique or interesting about anything in that movie, whereas I at least enjoy watching the raptor behaviors in the third movie, seeing the pteranodons was cool, and just simply more dinosaurs in broad daylight. The story is nothing special, but I don't find it stupid. It's relatively empty, vapid... but a means to an end: go to the island and have some dinosaur action. Only with characters, despite having annoying attributes, that I find far more realistic and grounded. Relatable. I want to punch everyone in the second movie in the dick. Including John Hammond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom