• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Im actually feeling a twist with Pratt dying.

That would have leaked bu the with the premiere i think.

----

Watching JP3 again gotta say by far the worst aspect is just the reasoning for getting to the island/Kirby family. Still enjoy the movie for what it is since it gets to the Dino action quick and then basically doesn't let up. But it would have been so much better with a different cast of characters. Billy & Grant were fine though.

Jawmuncher

That B roll is really cool. Always nice to see behind the scenes. Also some nice confirmations in there such as the Spino Skeleton.
Bryce in that interview seemed nervous, so many "and ums" in there. Didn't seem to be much info in there that we haven't heard in other interviews though.

Looks like we need someone to translate Omar Sy. He answered in French.

To the right of her shoulder is a Hasbro TLW Bull T-Rex toy!

gHNZg53.jpg

And then the vehicle boxes on the bottom mid are part of the canned 3 3/4" scale humans/vehicles from JW.

Colin blushing HARD.

Dude's got a sunburn :p

I did a little work to the music video I edited, decided that the intro with the full Hammond scene was way too long so I cut that short and to the point which gets to the stuff quicker. I'll repost whenever I get it online for anyone interested. I had fun doing this one and I'm thinking about doing another.

You know, I hope they do something like gathering the old cast to be part of a mockumentary where they talk about the incident in character as well as their opinions on the newly functional park for the special features. Maybe even show a piece of it in the film on a TV.

Dude's got a sunburn :p

I did a little work to the music video I edited, decided that the intro with the full Hammond scene was way too long so I cut that short and to the point which gets to the stuff quicker. I'll repost whenever I get it online for anyone interested. I had fun doing this one and I'm thinking about doing another.

Please do.

LastNac

I watched TLW again, and I can say it is without a doubt my least favorite

At least JP3 was a fun movie.

Noticed some issues with this movie that had always escaped me before.

Watching them back to back it is striking how different a character Malcolm is from first installment to the second one. It's also ironic that they turn to him as the default dino expert despite the fact that he is mostly incapacitated during the first JP movie.

I realized watching it tonight for the first time that Malcolm had never been "face to face" with a raptor before TLW. It;s weird to see him treat the animals with so much fear/reverence/trepidation despite the fact that he never dealt with one in the first film. More so the raptors in TLW are simply stupid by comparison to the raptors featured in the other films. Outside of the long grass they are no where near as threatening as they were in TLW, It seems they are no where near as intelligent either.

The Lost World pretty much blows. Watchable but I feel like it's completely useless and when it's almost being good there's something stupid to ruin it. The raptor encounter at the end is alright until the stupid kick and Sarah's goofy Mouse Trap roll through several sets only to be intercepted by them completely destroys it. The story adds nothing of worth. At least Jurassic World makes the third movie more relevant with Hoskins' backstory, Ingen still meddling behind the scenes, etc. and as I said before, the raptor focus and progression.

The original ended Hammond's character arc perfectly and the sequel throws it out by having him still trying to throw people into peril for no reason. His idea of having some researchers on the island to document the dinosaurs is going to lead to some glorious redo of the park... how? I'm not sure what his game plan is there, and his nephew's is even dumber. Ugly movie full of stupid characters and ideas. Does nothing for the story.

I kind of wish JP3 would be renamed to something without a number so I could just consider that the second movie. It's not great but I think it's better, much more fun, much less stupid, and has elements that can at least tie around to the first movie and the fourth. I'd re-title it to Jurassic Journey or something. It'd be cool if all the movies were called "Jurassic" something if only for consistency. No one's going to agree but uh, well there it is.

LastNac

The Lost World pretty much blows. Watchable but I feel like it's completely useless and when it's almost being good there's something stupid to ruin it. The raptor encounter at the end is alright until the stupid kick and Sarah's goofy Mouse Trap roll through several sets only to be intercepted by them completely destroys it. The story adds nothing of worth. At least Jurassic World makes the third movie more relevant with Hoskins' backstory, Ingen still meddling behind the scenes, etc. and as I said before, the raptor focus and progression.

The original ended Hammond's character arc perfectly and the sequel throws it out by having him still trying to throw people into peril for no reason. His idea of having some researchers on the island to document the dinosaurs is going to lead to some glorious redo of the park... how? I'm not sure what his game plan is there, and his nephew's is even dumber. Ugly movie full of stupid characters and ideas. Does nothing for the story.

I kind of wish JP3 would be renamed to something without a number so I could just consider that the second movie. It's not great but I think it's better, much more fun, much less stupid, and has elements that can at least tie around to the first movie and the fourth. I'd re-title it to Jurassic Journey or something. It'd be cool if all the movies were called "Jurassic" something if only for consistency. No one's going to agree but uh, well there it is.

My sentiments exactly. It feels a little more "hollow" than JP3 in my opinion.

The raptors in particular are a huge letdown because they are significantly more bestial and mindless in TLW. Their presence always needs to feel legitimately threatening and in TLW they are just sorta there.

Also, I'm not sure Malcolm is leading man material in terms of being a character.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't agree with it, but more on the lack of feathers entirely:

KHdquLo.jpg

Continuity is fine, but Terra Novas dinos getting in the way of new dinos sporting plumage is a bummer. Anyways, I think this puts to rest the notion that no feathers was a strictly Trevorrow thing. Perhaps Jurassic World 2..

L
O
L

Yeah, I'm just happy enough that there's dialogue to explain it at least. But Terra Nova blew and that's no excuse.

Blablurn

For me JP2 was the logical sequel to JP1. It had more dinosaurs, more action, more malcolm. Even though I was young I realized that it didnt had the class of JP1 but I was still digging the change of pace. The constant terror of the T-Rex. And Malcolm is just too good.

Oh yeahhhh tickets bought for me and the fam on Thursday at 7 in IMAX 3D. It's one of those lie-MAXs (screen is still pretty huge tho), but I'm mostly doing it for the sound system which I hope is still thunderous. Spent a little more than a $100 on 5 tickets lmao but fug it I'm a JP nut and the last one of these came out nearly 15 years ago, even if it's not that great this is still an event movie for me. Hoping some of it was still filmed on 65 mm at least.

Bernbaum

Both JP sequels are dumb trash. The original is the only good film.

Correct. I re-read TLW this week, and a lot of blame can be laid at Crichton's feet for that. Nothing happens until two thirds of the way through, and all the character deaths are meaningless, except maybe Dodgson's.

Branduil

Correct. I re-read TLW this week, and a lot of blame can be laid at Crichton's feet for that. Nothing happens until two thirds of the way through, and all the character deaths are meaningless, except maybe Dodgson's.

Well, the TLW novel is pretty different from the movie(and also bad).

LastNac

Malcolm was a hell of a lot more interesting in 2 than Grant in 3.

Not at all. Guy was practically a different character who somehow was more informed and experienced than he had any right to be. Not to mention that he is a smartass who has no experience with paleontology and barely any experience with the actual living Dinosaurs in the first film. Malcom is the one character who had more right to be dead than Muldoon.

Not at all. Guy was practically a different character who somehow was more informed and experienced than he had any right to be. Not to mention that he is a smartass who has no experience with paleontology and barely any experience with the actual living Dinosaurs in the first film. Malcom is the one character who had more right to be dead than Muldoon.

Grant is way more likable and a far more sensible character to be a protagonist in these movies. But the one thing that separates Grant and Malcolm, as protagonists, is that one has a character arc and the other does not. They actually had Grant in a situation that was alluded to in the first movie when it asks the question about how dinosaur research and such would go after Jurassic Park. The park animals are genetic hybrids and still not real dinosaurs so I think research should continue as usual, but I got the implication that since those events happened that paleontologists were beginning to have a harder time finding funding.

He felt like a normal guy that was struggling with his profession thanks to Hammond's meddling and was bitter about the whole thing, but his contrast with Billy helped develop his character a bit later. Malcolm is not only tonally different than he was in the original, but can anyone define his character arc for me? He doesn't change, he's literally a protagonist without character development, and didn't belong in a protagonist role to begin with. It's the same problem that the last Pirates of the Caribbean film had. Jack Sparrow is a great supporting character because the story isn't about him and he works so much better when he's essentially just sort of hanging onto the other characters and adding another side and perspective to the scenes.

The last Pirates film jettisoned him into the protagonist role and it didn't work because he was always meant to be a supporting character; they did this, however, strictly because he was a popular character, but the writers seemed to completely forget why he was a popular character, just as they apparently forgot why Malcolm was a great character in the original. You had other people that had varying opinions, but Malcolm was funny and contributed to the dialogue by having an eccentric personality that wasn't afraid to speak up while everyone else was just sort of rolling with it even if they had similar thoughts.

Malcolm was literally picked as the protagonist for The Lost World because of the point Ellie made about the poisonous plants in the visitor's center. He was picked because he was popular, not because it made any sense, and nothing about the character's implementation resonated or worked. When you have a protagonist that doesn't work, you already have an excessively flawed story. Grant doesn't change a whole lot, but I could still see some fluctuations in the character's personality and difference between him at the beginning of the movie and at the end. I cannot see one shred of depth or change given to Malcolm. It doesn't need to be deep, but there should be something. To make matters worse you have one of the dumbest antagonists in cinema written so ignorantly on the point just for the sole purpose of being able to write better dialogue swords for Malcolm during their scenes.

You have the smartest guy ever and the dumbest guy ever. That script is a real piece of glorious shit.

Superflat

Grant is way more likable and a far more sensible character to be a protagonist in these movies. But the one thing that separates Grant and Malcolm, as protagonists, is that one has a character arc and the other does not. They actually had Grant in a situation that was alluded to in the first movie when it asks the question about how dinosaur research and such would go after Jurassic Park. The park animals are genetic hybrids and still not real dinosaurs so I think research should continue as usual, but I got the implication that since those events happened that paleontologists were beginning to have a harder time finding funding.

What? Malcolm is given the same treatment as Grant in the sequels. They are both protagonists that don't change -- the characters surrounding them do. In TLW and JP3 they are constants for the audience to latch onto because of their involvement in Jurassic Park. Any "arcs" those two have are tangential ones that don't affect the plot. All the examples you gave are why you find Grant more relatable/likable, but nothing there shows a character arc that is significant to the stories.

JP1: Grant is a humble paleontologist who doesn't like kids at the beginning of the movie; by the end of the movie, he starts to think maybe they aren't so bad.

TLW: Malcolm is a pariah in his field and ridiculed by everyone at the start of TLW as a result of JP1, and is vindicated by the end. His relationship with Sarah and his daughter are hanging on by a thread in the beginning, but they get closer as a result of the events that unfold.

JP3: Grant is jaded regarding the events of JP1; by the end he regains appreciation for Hammond's creations.

Goldblum is basically Malcolm. His being more informed and experienced certainly didn't make him a duller character than Grant, imo.

I don't know what kind of expertise he displayed in TLW that would seem so insane. He tells everyone to not panic when the T-Rex approaches their camp, and he recognizes the Raptor screams from JP1 and tells everyone to run. I don't really recall times where he knew information he would never be privy to.

Trevorrow not directing the sequel

I respect that and it's sounding like he really poured everything he could into this movie.

This has me bummed. Last summer he was definitely talking about the potential, but as soon as he started announcing all his solo projects I knew that was the direction he was going. Hopefully they do a good job finding a director for the sequel!

I think he may stay on to help write it at least.

TLW: Malcolm is a pariah in his field and ridiculed by everyone at the start of TLW as a result of JP1, and is vindicated by the end. His relationship with Sarah and his daughter are hanging on by a thread in the beginning, but they get closer as a result of the events that unfold.

I guess the difference is that I hate Sarah and Kelly and don't care much for TLW's version of Malcolm so it does nothing for me but yeah I guess you're right. I don't think Malcolm changes though, just like you said the stuff around him does. I don't really consider that to be much in the way of character development but you're correct in that there is an arc surrounding his character. Maybe it's just that I can relate to Grant more.

This has me bummed. Last summer he was definitely talking about the potential, but as soon as he started announcing all his solo projects I knew that was the direction he was going. Hopefully they do a good job finding a director for the sequel!

I think it's more commendable that he doesn't want to hog it. He's obviously a huge fan but everything he's said and did so far has been very respectful of the franchise. I think that if this one goes over well that Universal may try to rope him back in, but it sounds like his mind is made up. James Wan said he was done with horror after The Conjuring and went on to do Furious 7, but then decided to sign on to direct The Conjuring 2, so you never know with these things.

If this movie is great then I think people will really pull for him coming back, but I think he's right in that Jurassic should be a shared world. The Lost World I think kind of showed that even Spielberg was sort of burned out and didn't care as much as the first time around. I wouldn't want that to happen to the next one. Doing this one justice and rebooting the series is a pretty good place for any director to think that they've accomplished enough.

I would like to see Brad Bird do one or even have Joe Johnston come back. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the third movie, the actual directing and action was really good. Give Johnston a better script and I think magic could happen.

Yeah, he's directed several awful films. Oh wait...
The guy did what he did with Godzilla because A) that's what Godzilla films do. And B) He was inspired by Spielberg with Jaws and Jurassic Park.

People need to stop pretending Godzilla 2014 was devoid of monster action. Sure, Godzilla was teased often but this was not unlike your typical superhero origin story where we don't get to see the hero in full get up until the last act or so. But the villain monsters were onscreen plenty enough for this type of movie.

Monsters had a scene straight off a page from Spielberg, I actually wouldn't mind him directing a dinosaur flick.

Jawmuncher

The guy did what he did with Godzilla because A) that's what Godzilla films do. And B) He was inspired by Spielberg with Jaws and Jurassic Park.

People need to stop pretending Godzilla 2014 was devoid of monster action. Sure, Godzilla was teased often but this was not unlike your typical superhero origin story where we don't get to see the hero in full get up until the last act or so. But the villain monsters were onscreen plenty enough for this type of movie.

Monsters had a scene straight off a page from Spielberg, I actually wouldn't mind him directing a dinosaur flick.

It was all tease for not enough payoff if you ask me. Plus faking a death more than once, like really? That and it was just way too slowly paced.

I agree. I see no reason to believe he couldn't direct a good JP film after watching Monsters and Godzilla.

Sam Neill ‏@TwoPaddocks 2h2 hours ago
Wishing you all the best for #JurassicWorld .Gonna be brilliant ! @prattprattpratt @colintrevorrow @UniversalPics

Alan Grant has decided to endorse the park.

Superflat

It was all tease for not enough payoff if you ask me. Plus faking a death more than once, like really? That and it was just way too slowly paced.

I actually thought the idea of catching small but powerful glimpses of Godzilla and it being sort of a incidental element of a smaller character-driven story was a cool idea (even if it's sort of a rehash of his earlier film Monsters). It just fell apart for me when the character stuff was a complete slog, which in turn made me impatiently wanting Godzilla to appear throughout the entire film. After the Bryan Cranston bits, it's like they ran out of story.

Jawmuncher

I actually thought the idea of catching small but powerful glimpses of Godzilla and it being sort of a incidental element of a smaller character-driven story was a cool idea (even if it's sort of a rehash of his earlier film Monsters). It just fell apart for me when the character stuff was a complete slog, which in turn made me impatiently wanting Godzilla to appear throughout the entire film.

I thought the Hawaii tease was good, but when he still wanted to keep doing it past that I just stopped caring.

I actually thought the idea of catching small but powerful glimpses of Godzilla and it being sort of a incidental element of a smaller character-driven story was a cool idea (even if it's sort of a rehash of his earlier film Monsters). It just fell apart for me when the character stuff was a complete slog, which in turn made me impatiently wanting Godzilla to appear throughout the entire film.

Yeah, I agree with this. I liked it but that's where, in hindsight, I felt the film suffered for being forgettable. I'll take it over the antics of the Transformers characters, but it wasn't particularly compelling.

Superflat

Trevorrow not directing the sequel

I respect that and it's sounding like he really poured everything he could into this movie.

It's going to be a paramount task, finding a good director with the same kind of passion for JP and professionalism that Trevorrow has displayed all throughout making the film. I'm gonna be incredibly bummed if it turns out that I actually really like JW lol

Personally, I would like JW to be a completely close-ended film with no clear aspirations of having continuations. Unlike Star Wars, Jurassic Park/World is not a whole new universe. It's a tiny island in Costa Rica.

Personally, I would like JW to be a completely close-ended film with no clear aspirations of having continuations. Unlike Star Wars, Jurassic Park/World is not a whole new universe. It's a tiny island in Costa Rica.

The story is the universe though and if this movie sets up for more in an organic way that makes sense, I'm down for that.

Superflat

The story is the universe though and if this movie sets up for more in an organic way that makes sense, I'm down for that.

It's just hard for me to imagine how to keep it organic and believable. But again, I'm not an accomplished storyteller by any means haha

Compared to Star Wars where you can hop around the actual galaxy, make it take place whenever you want, and make up as many new cool things as you want without raising an eyebrow (as long as it's executed well).

Restrictions are often the catalyst for truly creative works, but only if they solve it in a satisfactory manner. After the cataclysmic events of JW, would the park still be open? And if not, we're once again placed in a situation where people are somehow returning to a "Lost World". If the park miraculously continues to stay open, should it logically survive another big catastrophe that the sequel will pose? The strange ideas such as weaponizing dinosaurs for the military, having them terrorize mainland America, or have human hybrids sort of show how incredibly difficult it was to make a sequel that makes sense. And in a way, JW is completing the circle by going back to the park's "power and control" motif, while filling in the final blank space of the JP franchise: showing what a completed, functioning park would be like -- and how it would all go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom