• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.
are people really suggesting GG is an element of this as if its some sort of quasi mitigating factor? Kind of feels like there is now an element that need to defend Gawker even when they are truly wrong so any straw that can be clutched is being so

I've not followed GG, i couldn't tell you anyone other than a few of the main individuals i've seen surrounding the issues, let alone say which sites are pro or against on the issues ut one thing i do know is over the years Gawker has outed people from the closet, posted sex tapes, condemned people for having seen fappening images etc etc etc and for that reason i'm happy a gutter rag is being shit on and karma is biting its ass

Hate to say it but outside of Tumblr, Gaf and Twitter next to nobody has heard of Gamer Gate Conversely a lot of people will have seen Gawker 'news' articles on social meida etc or are aware of its subsidiaries

I'm sure some GGers will be happy with this, but its in now way fueled by it

Calamari41

41 > 38
The sad thing for all of those fired Gawker employees isn't so much the fact that they have to look for new jobs, but rather the fact that they have to update their resumes to say that they worked for Gawker.

Cagey

Banned
Please don't associate my hating Gawker for being an affront to journalism with GamerGate assholes.

I've been hating them for at least a decade.

entremet

esdv307.png

lol

RIP
Lesson: Don't fuck with judges.

Hulk honestly is more deserving of it, legally, given that his career really WAS destroyed by it. Granted, he pretty much deserves to get fucked for all the racist shit, but the law doesn't deal in karma.

His career was destroyed because of the racist shit he said. I find it pretty tragic that people are siding with Hulk in this. Gawker is a shitty corporation with a lot of innocent employees, Hulk is just a piece of shit. Admittedly it all does come down to how the law works, but it just goes to show the law isn't always about serving justice.

are people really suggesting GG is an element of this as if its some sort of quasi mitigating factor?

I've not followed GG, i couldn't tell you anyone other than a few of the main individuals i've seen surrounding the issues, let alone say which sites are pro or against on the issues ut one thing i do know is over the years Gawker has outed people from the closet, posted sex tapes, condemned people for having seen fappening images etc etc etc and for that reason i'm happy a gutter rag is being shit on and karma is biting its ass

Hate to say it but outside of Tumblr, Gaf and Twitter next to nobody has heard of Gamer Gate Conversely a lot of people will have seen Gawker 'news' articles on social meida etc or are aware of its subsidiaries

I'm sure some GGers will be happy with this, but its in now way fueled by it

GG may not go that far outside of those three areas (don't forget Reddit), but it absolutely has presence outside of them too - my aunt for instance is an avid reader and follows the Hugo Awards, so she knows a lot about GG.

HariKari

+1. They seemed like the only site that was consistently practicing journalism in between the standard Gawker Media™ moments of hypocritical indignation.

Deadspin named the woman in the Brett Favre texting scandal after she repeatedly told them not to use her name. The same 'run it, consequences be damned' attitude was present at Deadspin.

didn't Gawker condemn people for showing 'the fappening' images

but is fine with the sex tape?

Jezebel's response to "the fappening" was uh...interesting.

-First, they reported on the Jennifer Lawrence photos (I guess they were the first that came out) and INCLUDED A LINK TO THE IMAGE GALLERY.

-Then they took down the link.

-Later, they went full-on into saying that people who viewed the images were basically complicit in being sex abusers, ignoring the fact that they all obviously viewed the images themselves and even provided a link to them in their initial report, so others could view them as well.

213372bu

Banned
From the same company that outed people's sexuality, contacted families they thought were being affected by cheating etc. etc. while hiding being a self-righteous facade.

Unbelievable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
His career was destroyed because of the racist shit he said. I find it pretty tragic that people are siding with Hulk in this. Gawker is a shitty corporation with a lot of innocent employees, Hulk is just a piece of shit. Admittedly it all does come down to how the law works, but it just goes to show the law isn't always about serving justice.

Justice would have been destroying both, but we couldn't get that so we had to settle. Doesn't mean we can't celebrate the death of the worst news website of the last 20 years. If it wasn't Hogan it would have been someone else.

Griss

I always saw Gawker as the biggest cesspit online, so this is amazing news. Sorry for any decent people who lose their jobs, but working for fucking Gawker Media was always a bad call. Never cared for Hulk or wrestling, but I'll be toasting him tonight.

In summary:

Dear Gawker:

giphy.gif

-First, they reported on the Jennifer Lawrence photos (I guess they were the first that came out) and INCLUDED A LINK TO THE IMAGE GALLERY.

-Later, they went full-on into saying that people who viewed the images were basically complicit in being sex abusers, ignoring the fact that they all obviously viewed the images themselves and even provided a link to them in their initial report, so others could view them as well.

That blog produced massive hypocrisy on that scale weekly. The one where the writer went ballistic at the journalist questioning a rape story which was proven to be untrue was just outrageous.

No it doesn't.

Oh it doesn't make what he said alright. And he's certainly still a racist shithead, who should actually apologize.

But Gawker had this coming.

I feel bad for the innocent people who will lose their jobs, and I hope they land on their feet, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not happy with the result.

Armaros

Protecting privacy isn't justice?

This is an insane and ridiculous punishment. People wreck the economy and get golden parachutes but a tabloid website shittily refused to remove a sex tape and they basically give them the death sentence. I'm fine with them losing but that $115m is just wrong.

Gawker published a sex tape of Hogan. They claimed it was within their first amendment rights to do so. Hogan claimed it was defamation or something. Gawker won. Hogan appealed, but filed the appeal in Florida in a jurisdiction where he is a local celebrity, owns a business, and responsible for a lot of the area's income and basically because of Hulk, he put that entire area on the map, so there was widespread speculation that he would deliver a crushing defeat to Gawker. Hogan won (just now). Gawker can appeal again, but it doesn't matter because in order to even appeal you have to post bond of $50m, and they don't have $50m and can't get $50m.

In short, Gawker is dead. It's finished. RIP

wow

gawker are assholes.

Well deserved.

GG Hulk

oh jeez i didn't realize it happened like that.

GG may not go that far outside of those three areas (don't forget Reddit), but it absolutely has presence outside of them too - my aunt for instance is an avid reader and follows the Hugo Awards, so she knows a lot about GG.

Whilst that may be so, and i may be downplaying GG too much, the point i'm illustrating is Gawker media is begger than that, and has gotten its reputation long before it, so the suggestions that the hate now and that those who are enjoying its downfall are in some way related to GG is down right idiotic and frankly insulting

also awesome user name

Tell that to all the peoples whose lives have been ruined by Gawker.

HariKari

This is an insane and ridiculous punishment. People wreck the economy and get golden parachutes but a tabloid website shittily refused to remove a sex tape and they basically give them the death sentence. I'm fine with them losing but that $115m is just wrong.

Hulk Hogan is a brand. He can demonstrate earnings (and thus damage). Gawker also flagrantly disregarded what the court told them to do previously and basically paraded around, acting like they couldn't be touched.

$115m doesn't even including punitive damages. The final total will be higher.

Griss

I'd rather live in a world where a racist guy gets a ton of money than a world where shitty companies make a living exploiting the privacy of thousands upon thousands of people. It's not even a contest in my mind.

Whilst that may be so, and i may be downplaying GG too much, the point i'm illustrating is Gawker media is begger than that, and has gotten its reputation long before it, so the suggestions that the hate now and that those who are enjoying its downfall are in some way related to GG is down right idiotic and frankly insulting

also awesome user name

I agree, Gawker's definitely shit. Just wanted to make that small point.

And thank you kindly. Good username yourself, Gibbs.

Griss

I'm sure this has already been posted, but this is the caliber of person who was working at Gawker. From the trial:

Jurors in Hulk Hogan’s sex video trial on Wednesday heard a videotaped deposition of Gawker’s former editor in chief — saying he’d draw the line at posting the sex tape of a celebrity who is under 4 years old.

A.J. Daulerio, 41, was sitting ramrod straight in the Florida courtroom during the awkward moment when he was asked on video by Hogan’s lawyer, “Can you imagine a situation where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy?”

Daulerio answered flatly, “If they were a child.”

“Under what age?” attorney Charles Harder asked.

“Four,” he said.

“No four-year-old sex tapes, OK,” Harder said.

Fucking dancing around the room that these scumfucks are done and dusted. And yes, that was probably the classic Gawker 'snark', and no, I don't give a fuck.

EDIT: New York Times link

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm sure this has already been posted, but this is the caliber of person who was working at Gawker. From the trial:

Fucking dancing around the room that these scumfucks are done and dusted. And yes, that was probably the classic Gawker 'snark', and no, I don't give a fuck.

Funny how snark doesn't come across on court transcripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom