• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

crispyben

23461530265_f0c8c6dafd_o.gif
How do you do this? Retract the tethers with L2 and release them with circle at the right time? Also, can you reel in people you've grappled to shoot them? I'm always pulled to them and end up kicking them hard...
What does completing random encounters do? Feels like it gives nothing.
Gives you access to heat-lowering priests, at least...

Fadobo

I am kind of torn about the upgrade minigames. Don't get me wrong, I hate them and would rather skip them, but I like them better than JC2 forcing me to get out of my helicopter / jet to finish up military bases, especially because I had no idea if I destroyed everything else (now there is a handy checklist).

Shari

Flares, respawn points, fast travel points and preists.

I got one this morning, deliver a tractor, that can do 20km/h, 2km away, yeah, I ain't doing that!

Attach the tractor to a deployment helicopter with double tether and carry it over in under ten secs.

You gotta explode out of the box :_D

I actually quite like all the upgrade minigames so far. I feel like it's fairly easy to get three stars on them, and some seem like they'll be difficult to five-star but that's something to worry about if I ever decide to 100% the game. At the moment I feel like I'm rolling in upgrades with minimum frustration.

The only ones that I truly dislike are motorcycle races, particularly off-road ones, because the handling model is just horrific. Rico has no idea how to stand in the saddle, and you just bounce around willy nilly, spearing out of control whenever you hit a bump. Shit's terrible.

danowat

Banned
I actually quite like all the upgrade minigames so far. I feel like it's fairly easy to get three stars on them, and some seem like they'll be difficult to five-star but that's something to worry about if I ever decide to 100% the game. At the moment I feel like I'm rolling in upgrades with minimum frustration.

They are (mostly) pretty fun, however, I think the gameplay loop is a little whacky.

a) Gears are the ONLY currency for getting fun (and some could say in terms of traversal upgrades, necessary) upgrades, you get nothing for causing chaos, which in the spirit of the game is a little odd.

b) Challenges that give gears are ONLY unlocked by liberating settlements, outposts, bases etc.

c) Settlements, bases etc are ONLY shown on your map when you actually visit them.

So the gameplay loop for getting upgrades is, rather than just blowing shit up (which is what JC is primarily about), C - B - A, this is a rather drawn out gameplay loop (CBA is what some people might feel about it!).

This can lead to a bit of "what do I do next", instead of "it really doesn't matter what I do next, I just want to blow shit up and get rewarded for it"

I don't think I've ever seen a game so egregiously spawn enemies, they seem to come out of nowhere the moment I've swung the camera around - trying to systematically clear parts of a large base is futile, as the moment you run off from a supposedly clear area more enemies spawn behind you and radio in reinforcements. The time you're given to kill the fucker calling for reinforcements is woefully slim as well, often I've barely managed to sight the enemy in my cross-hairs before he's radioed in another wave (who also do their best to appear out of nowhere).

Also, while I don't mind the upgrade challenges, stopping my path of destruction to go race jetskis and the like often feels like a chore. Realising you're too under-equipped to take on a base (then also realising to get the upgrades you need you're going to have to do a bunch of unimportant challenges before you can progress) is fairly irritating. What should have been a nice side-attraction to take away from the monotony of 'find base > destroy base > repeat' is instead something you're forced into whether you like it or not.

potam

Banned
Demanding a polished product for your money is now being an "FPS weirdo". Right.

Or I could have meant that I'm not one of the people on here that tear up if a game isn't locked 60, or thinks anything under 30 will give me brain cancer.

Nah...

This is going to sound like a weird question and it's hard to word, but if you are playing the game on Xbox One I'd appreciate it if you could reply.

My question is:

When you use the grappling hook and its tether option, via the LB button, do you notice that the vibration at the left bumper/trigger area of the controller is a bit weird? Mine will buzz when I do that, then make a clicking noise, and it does this each time. It's like it buzzes, clicks and stops, then does it again.

I'm wondering if my rumble motor on my controller is defective.

I answered this last night, saying that it didn't happen with my controller. However - it actually does on some occasions when I use the grappling hook. So yeah, sorry...I should have waited before posting.

So the gameplay loop for getting upgrades is, rather than just blowing shit up (which is what JC is primarily about), C - B - A, this is a rather drawn out gameplay loop (CBA is what some people might feel about it!).

This can lead to a bit of "what do I do next", instead of "it really doesn't matter what I do next, I just want to blow shit up and get rewarded for it"

Yeah, that's a fair point. I suppose the reason I've been OK with it so far is that I've just been taking them as they come, rather than trying to go for specific upgrades. I imagine if you really want the next Wingsuit upgrade it's gotta be a frustrating experience of taking over random towns and bases and just hoping they unlock a Wingsuit challenge, and the same for every other kind of upgrade.

danowat

Banned
Missing one (1) transformer at Porto le Gratia. Apparently it's this one as the crosshair turns red when targeting it, no other destroyed structures do that:

Cant kill what is already dead....

Anyone else have this problem? Any way around it?

Check your map, there might be another elsewhere, I've struggled to find them before, end I've ended up finding some small transformers in tunnels under bases.

kavanf1

I'm glad there's no minimap cluttering the HUD, but I wish they made the arrows pointing you to your objectives were a bit clearer. They only seem to appear when you're facing them AND when you're very close to them.

NotLiquid

On one hand from an optimization standpoint it makes little sense that the game's main unlockables don't stem from Chaos as that's what the player will do most of the time and that's what Just Cause is about. It reminds me a little bit how coins in the first Super Mario Galaxy were basically useless outside of health restoration. The stat has kind of turned into one of intrinsic value rather than maintaining extrinsic value.

On the other it sort of makes sense from a game design standpoint and making every side challenge worthwhile. It makes more facets of the game have a bit of a point to them and encourage the player to partake in them, and some of these are thankfully varied enough to enjoy them and maintain a balenced barometer in terms of skill/reward ratio. The wingsuit ones are my favorite since they really challenge you and provide for some incredible views and even alternate paths (my favorite one being when you're dropped from a distance where you can almost see the entire island, and as you descend closer the course separates into up to five alternate paths). Unfortunately a deal of the challenges are duds on account of controls, and mod type unlocks being tied to specific challenges might make it a little bit frustrating if you're dead set on certain ones but I usually take them as I go along and I usually don't lose sleep over the frustrating ones to get being mods I probably won't use (i.e boat and car upgrades).

Shari

Helicopters are amazing still. Got a Military one and just kept flying around blowing up gas tanks. So fun

The only problem I faced with this is that any small to medium base has at least one anti air weapon and helicopter health is really low for the scout ones that you get at the beginning!

The only problem I faced with this is that any small to medium base has at least one anti air weapon and helicopter health is really low for the scout ones that you get at the beginning!

This is true, I got pelted by two of them near a gas factory and went crashing into the silos lol. At least it made for a massive explosion.

LogicStep

Did anyone else experience problems downloading the game on PS4? I had it preordered for a while and the game never preloaded and when I go to my library to download it it only downloads the theme. When I go to the store it says it's unavailable saying I already own the preorder. What gives?

Did anyone else experience problems downloading the game on PS4? I had it preordered for a while and the game never preloaded and when I go to my library to download it it only downloads the theme. When I go to the store it says it's unavailable saying I already own the preorder. What gives?

No issues on my end. It downloaded on it's own....

Strange, might be worth getting up with support.

Zampano

So I folded and bought this game, telling myself that the performance issues wouldn't bother me. While the framerate IS bad and very noticeable, I don't really care about that. What really bothers me are the loading times. They are utterly unacceptable.

Here is a video of a load after exiting a challenge. While not all loads have been this bad, this is not an isolated incident. This is PS4, digital, running from the stock hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvCWgXSUKc

Do not buy this game until they've patched it. It's a disgrace.

danowat

Banned
Here is a video of a load after exiting a challenge. While not all loads have been this bad, this is not an isolated incident. This is PS4, digital, running from the stock hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvCWgXSUKc

Do not buy this game until they've patched it. It's a disgrace.

The weirdest thing is that they loading times aren't consistent, I've waited for one challenge to restart for 90s, only for the next reload to take 10s, then the next to take 60s.

It's bizarre.

The framerate issues are kinda crappy sometimes hoping they can fix it but ya the loading times lol...

Just doing the first wingsuit challenge and it's atrocious.

So after ~ 7 hours, 4 crashes to the PS4 front end, an absurd amount of time spent at or below what has to be 25fps, and a million 30-90 second load screens, I think it's fair to call this game a bit of a mess. But even looking beyond the technical issues, what really gets me is how the poster boy for free form mayhem has gated all of the most fun upgrades and items behind these tired wingsuit, racing, and timed destruction challenges (instanced challenges on top of that, which compound the loading issues). Makes no sense. So instead of expanding on the town liberation and base destruction systems, keeping everything within the world and seamless to minimize downtime, and rewarding the player new toys through these actions, we're forced to get sidetracked by the weakest and most restrictive part of the game in order to level up.

This game is at its best when you hit a base out of a nowhere, like a gotdamn one-man-army inside a hurricane, open the gate for your bros to rush in, blow up all the things at your own leisure; then hop, skip, and fly out of there while Rico quips and all the Rebels fawn over how amazing he is. So why am I spending an inordinate amount of time racing wobbly ass stiff ass boat cars and drunk motorcycles, or doing Superman 64 ring challenges, or redestroying bases I've already destroyed (but now with a timer) in order to gain the ability to zipline from the wingsuit, or hold more grenades, or give the cars a Knight Rider jump (which is only on the Rebel drop vehicles, of course). I don't know who asked for Just Cause to lean on these kinds of challenges as a key part of the progression, but I feel like they lost the script with this game. That whole free form "kick back and blow things up" flow is altered now because without doing the challenges you're locked out of some of the more fun mods and upgrades. This would be an easier pill to swallow if the challenges were quick and painless, but accessing them brings the game to a grinding halt.

These traversal mechanics, the ambient music, and the sound mix deserve a better game.

Wow. Installed on PS4 last night, and in 2 hours have decided to wait for some patches.

My first glitch happened JUST after the initial intro, using my grapple hook to attach into the cave. It grappled me in to the ceiling, and then popped me through the world into the bottom of the ocean. This also happened to be a fair way away from the cave, as the marker to where I needed to get was on screen - but 6km away lol! I pressed circle to detach from the ceiling where I had attached, and I dropped back out of the ocean, and into the cave. Then I got stuck half way into the floor!. WTF lol.

Then 10 minutes later had a crash that bombed me out to the PS menu.

In the 2 hours, also had some horrific frame rates getting in the way of the action, another bad glitch where I got stuck in a mountain and another bomb out to the PS menu.

Now I love Just Cause, and within that frustrating 2 hours had some cool fun moments, but I'm out until they patch it.

Gutted.

UrbanRats

Tying progression to challenges with these wonky vehicle physics/handing though.... le sigh. Avalanche pls
First thing I want modded out.
Just give all the mods right away and let me create my own fun, thank you.
Also unlimited flares with no cool down, what is this, mgsv? Let me enjoy myself.

danowat

Banned
First thing I want modded out.
Just give all the mods right away and let me create my own fun, thank you.
Also unlimited flares with no cool down, what is this, mgsv? Let me enjoy myself.

If they introduce MT's in this game, for gears and/or flares etc, I think I'll be done with gaming.

Shari

So after ~ 7 hours, 4 crashes to the PS4 front end, an absurd amount of time spent at or below what has to be 25fps, and a million 30-90 second load screens, I think it's fair to call this game a bit of a mess. But even looking beyond the technical issues, what really gets me is how the poster boy for free form mayhem has gated all of the most fun upgrades and items behind these tired wingsuit, racing, and timed destruction challenges (instanced challenges on top of that, which compound the loading issues). Makes no sense. So instead of expanding on the town liberation and base destruction systems, keeping everything within the world and seamless to minimize downtime, and rewarding the player new toys through these actions, we're forced to get sidetracked by the weakest and most restrictive part of the game in order to level up.

This game is at its best when you hit a base out of a nowhere, like a gotdamn one-man-army inside a hurricane, open the gate for your bros to rush in, blow up all the things at your own leisure; then hop, skip, and fly out of there while Rico quips and all the Rebels fawn over how amazing he is. So why am I spending an inordinate amount of time racing wobbly ass stiff ass boat cars and drunk motorcycles, or doing Superman 64 ring challenges, or redestroying bases I've already destroyed (but now with a timer) in order to gain the ability to zipline from the wingsuit, or hold more grenades, or give the cars a Knight Rider jump (which is only on the Rebel drop vehicles, of course). I don't know who asked for Just Cause to lean on these kinds of challenges as a key part of the progression, but I feel like they lost the script with this game. That whole free form "kick back and blow things up" flow is altered now because without doing the challenges you're locked out of some of the more fun mods and upgrades. This would be an easier pill to swallow if the challenges were quick and painless, but accessing them brings the game to a grinding halt.

These traversal mechanics, the ambient music, and the sound mix deserve a better game.

On point about pretty much everything.

I can also tolerate challenges but the game flow and cohesion begs for a better implementation without loading times.

void666

Banned
Just cause 3 reminds me of mercenaries 2. I loved the previous iteration, was hyped as fuck for the sequel. Just to be deeply disappointed.

UrbanRats

This is all true, though it isn't as bad on PC, and more importantly, goes directly against the bollocks and attitude they had prior to release, about just wanting people to have mindless fun etc.

That said, I'm still loving the game a lot and I'm hoping modding can fix this crap.

UrbanRats

If they introduce MT's in this game, for gears and/or flares etc, I think I'll be done with gaming.
They don't have microtransaction, but you do have a cool down on being able to summon stuff.

Again, I think it's still a better game than 2, but some design choices make no sense, given the objective and tone of the game.

Shari

They don't have microtransaction, but you do have a cool down on being able to summon stuff.

Again, I think it's still a better game than 2, but some design choices make no sense, given the objective and tone of the game.

You can get rid of the cooldown through challenges.

The loading times are just unacceptable, having to retry a challenge multiple times (especially one with lots of explosions) is an exercise in pure frustration. I think I may already be done with this game, there's too many obstacles to what made Just Cause so much fun in the first place.

This is all true, though it isn't as bad on PC, and more importantly, goes directly against the bollocks and attitude they had prior to release, about just wanting people to have mindless fun etc.

That said, I'm still loving the game a lot and I'm hoping modding can fix this crap.

I'm sure it's a much better game on PC if only for the framerate and loading improvements. These garbage console CPUs/HDDs will finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back and gets me to build a new gaming PC.

Even then, I still think the approach they took is all wrong and does the game no favors. The PC version can't get around that (until mods.....like, real mods). I didn't love JC2 like others did, but I had a good time with it blowing things up mindlessly for 40-50 hours and exploring the map. This game though....so many negatives. Even the map seems worse tbh. I haven't come across any strange waterfall casinos or mile high club-esque locations, or any mammoth structures or unique hubs, or wacky no-AI airports where you can troll the passenger planes. Even "The island" is a lesser take on JC2's island. I haven't come close to combing the entire map, admittedly, but it doesn't seem as varied.

SomTervo

Played for about an hour last night.

This is the perfect evolution of Just Cause 2 imo. (Playing on PC.)

> same-size open world map, improved with more verticality, better level design
> base animations and 'feels' (eg 'movefeel', 'gun feel', 'grapplefeel') way better. It's actually satisfying to run about and whack people and do badass grapple moves - in JC2 it was fun but fundamentally janky. Shooting still isn't great but it's good. The enemy reaction animations and brief decals for gunshot wounds and improved ragdolls make it fun mowing people down
> the new 'liberation' structure flips the progression design on its head a bit, but imo makes the gameplay far more focused, giving the fun/chaos more direction, making it more compelling to play minute-by-minute
> the challenges seem mainly pretty dang good imo - the odd one verges too far into frustrating (see the post below... that goddamn quad bike bomb race)
> they've given Rico a bit more personality - but not too much. Just enough to be more self-aware and entertaining to play than in JC1/2
> the rebel drop system is far improved
> bases/liberations seem far improved and deeper
> the particle effects are fucking amazing, explosions are game-changing and dynamic
> wingsuit flying is a fucking life-affirming experience

There are still problems:
> cutscenes are mainly gash. They're improved I think but I still skip most of them. Once you start skipping them it's hard to go back.
> even on PC with ~10 second loading times, the repeated loading after challenges gets a bit annoying. I can't imagine what it must be like on PS4/XBO. Hopefully they patch it up.
> driving is really fucking weird. Why is every vehicle so insanely heavy and high-friction? It's like they tried to match GTA V's cars but went way too far into being road-magnets. You need to tap the Handbrake button on every corner to make driving bearable
> performance is fine (GTX 960, i5 4690k 3.2GHz @ factory, 16GB RAM) but still drops to about 30 whenever a lot is going on or I'm in a demanding area. Usually it's the latter - certain areas randomly start slowing down.

On the driving/challenges topic, does anybody know how to do that Bomb Race challenge where you're on the quad bike and you have to get down to the pier/lighthouse to bomb it? It's infuriating trying to get 5 stars. It's either

> ride off the cliff, spin out, quickly start losing 5 stars
> ride down left down the very long road through the tunnel, which takes so long you start losing stars
> they've placed a big shiny jump right in the spot you need to use, but slamming into the barrier at the end makes you spin out and lose a star

Just made me consider... Perhaps I should blow up the barrier before starting the challenge? It seemed to reset, though.

They are (mostly) pretty fun, however, I think the gameplay loop is a little whacky.

a) Gears are the ONLY currency for getting fun (and some could say in terms of traversal upgrades, necessary) upgrades, you get nothing for causing chaos, which in the spirit of the game is a little odd.

b) Challenges that give gears are ONLY unlocked by liberating settlements, outposts, bases etc.

c) Settlements, bases etc are ONLY shown on your map when you actually visit them.

Indeed, it's structured a bit backwards.

However, for me this is actually leading to order for the (really fun) chaos. Rather than being a massive map of disorganised chaos (in JC2) in which I often got lost or couldn't be bothered finding something to do, JC3's new structure makes the chaos a little more focused onto pockets of action which spread and explode, and I have fun doing them because there's always 'something to do' right around the corner.

NotLiquid

Indeed, it's structured a bit backwards.

However, for me this is actually leading to order for the (really fun) chaos. Rather than being a massive map of disorganised chaos (in JC2) in which I often got lost or couldn't be bothered finding something to do, JC3's new structure makes the chaos a little more focused onto pockets of action which spread and explode, and I have fun doing them because there's always 'something to do' right around the corner.

This is a good point I didn't consider in terms of reasons why I'm enjoying JC3 just a little more. There was usually a sense with JC2 that for as massive as it was I found myself every once in a while lacking in a somewhat driving incentive and even the crazy wanton destruction can grow a little bit shallow if there's too much of it at once. JC3 manages to make it a little more compact and even though it's somewhat perfunctory in the way it accomplishes it, it's a lot more solidly managable to wingsuit your way to certain locations where causing Chaos and doing challenges will feel just a little more deliberate as I always have a solid idea what the best course of option will be after accomplishing a certain task. Overall, it always feels like I have a forward thinking game plan while playing this - liberate a settlement, do a challenge, unlock some mods, do a story mission, maybe complete a small side task along the way etc. Sure, it can turn a little bit routine but it makes the game a lot more streamlined and the good bits of JC2 are still here and better than ever.

Shari

On the driving/challenges topic, does anybody know how to do that Bomb Race challenge where you're on the quad bike and you have to get down to the pier/lighthouse to bomb it? It's infuriating trying to get 5 stars. It's either

> ride off the cliff, spin out, quickly start losing 5 stars
> ride down left down the very long road through the tunnel, which takes so long you start losing stars
> they've placed a big shiny jump right in the spot you need to use, but slamming into the barrier at the end makes you spin out and lose a star

Just made me consider... Perhaps I should blow up the barrier before starting the challenge? It seemed to reset, though.

Its funny, I had the same problem and questions as you regarding this.

I figured you need other skills to get 5 gears in this challenge, like having nitro or the jump. But then I dunno if the quad they give you will have those upgrades on.

It's kinda weird, I had to leave it too because I couldn't find a solution and resetting is infuriating atm.

danowat

Banned
The way challenges, generally, steer you into unlocking settlements is a good idea, I get the reason why they've had made the way it is, but it's just a bit of a convoluted way to achieving it.

Maybe if all the challenges were unlocked by default, ok, some might argue that it's one of the driving factors for liberating towns and settlements, but surely the destruction of these is it's own reward IMO?

Be interesting to see if they balance out the game in patches, but technical issues need looking at before anything like that, load times are the utmost priority for me, framerates aren't really an issue, and in 10 hours I've not noticed anything that diminishes my enjoyment purely through framerate.

I figured you need other skills to get 5 gears in this challenge, like having nitro or the jump. But then I dunno if the quad they give you will have those upgrades on.

It's kinda weird, I had to leave it too because I couldn't find a solution and resetting is infuriating atm.

As far as I can make out on these challenges, the time limit is just that, a limit, it doesn't affect how many gears you get, what does, is going under 60km/h, everytime you go under 60km/h you lose a chunk of gears.

So basically you have to find a path that means you can maintain over 60km/h AND finish within the time limit.

Anyone else miss the all the little yellow dots on the map from Just Cause 2 where you could spend hours travelling around the maps and 100%ing areas.

beeswax

Can you turn off the online leaderboards from popping up? I hate that shit.

Same question. I'm playing on PC and after loading my game back up for my second session those stupid popups were appearing for several minutes and are really distracting. I found the option to show "Only recticles" in the HUD options which does get rid of them but this also gets rid of a lot of useful HUD elements.

Durden77

As Issac Newton once said, "There's no better way to break a fall than grappling the ground and reeling in."

There's some legit funny writing in this game. Much better than JC2.

Also I'm fine with the challenges, actually kind of like them, but the problem is the load times associated with them.

SomTervo

The bolded is a really good point.

It's still baffling, though, because it is literally one of the first challenges the game directs you to do. Although they do make it clear you don't need to get all 5 gears to unlock stuff and keep doing so. I imagine that 5th gear is just for completionists.

Still stupid. A little note saying 'come back to challenges later if you struggle' or something would make a big difference.

This is a good point I didn't consider in terms of reasons why I'm enjoying JC3 just a little more. There was usually a sense with JC2 that for as massive as it was I found myself every once in a while lacking in a somewhat driving incentive and even the crazy wanton destruction can grow a little bit shallow if there's too much of it at once. JC3 manages to make it a little more compact and even though it's somewhat perfunctory in the way it accomplishes it, it's a lot more solidly managable to wingsuit your way to certain locations where causing Chaos and doing challenges will feel just a little more deliberate as I always have a solid idea what the best course of option will be after accomplishing a certain task. Overall, it always feels like I have a forward thinking game plan while playing this - liberate a settlement, do a challenge, unlock some mods, do a story mission, maybe complete a small side task along the way etc. Sure, it can turn a little bit routine but it makes the game a lot more streamlined and the good bits of JC2 are still here and better than ever.

Yeah, the bolded is what I mean. In Just Cause 3 I always feel like I have direction. I always have a little plan of what to do next. In Just Cause 2 I never did. Usually it devolved into strafing a city/base looking for the last thing to destroy to reach 100%, which was fine until you got to 95% and couldn't find the last fucking thing.

As Issac Newton once said, "There's no better way to break a fall than grappling the ground and reeling in."

There's some legit funny writing in this game. Much better than JC2.

Also I'm fine with the challenges, actually kind of like them, but the problem is the load times associated with them.

David Tennant's unwilling despot-mouthpiece character is brilliant, too.

Yeah, the challenges are great on PC playing with a controller. I do not envy console players or PC players using KBWASD :/

Top Bottom