• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

UrbanRats

You can get rid of the cooldown through challenges.

Yeah, i'll mod the shit out of this.
Won't even bother with that shit.

I don't even mind some challenges (i like the wingsuit ones) but i want to do them because i enjoy them, not because they lock fundamental gameplay mechanics.

newsguy

I'm on the side of not minding the challenges. I've learned to turn much better by using the method I used in GTAIV. I use the e brake and the regular brake in conjuction. Once you get the feel for it, it makes turning way better. What I do mind is the load times. I'm on PS4, and like others have said, load times are completely random. I did one of the bomb run challenges where the first load was like 5 seconds. The second try took about 3 minutes and only 3 little bars had ticked off of the load icon. I had to turn off the PS4.

UrbanRats

Different teams. I am not having too much of a problem, but some of the driving physics are indeed wack. Luckily, the challenges are the only time I give a damn about cars.

Yeah, on the other hand, i think helis and planes are much better than in 2.
Almost on GTA's levels.

Why is GTA the only open world game with good ground vehicle physics? Sleepy Dogs was shit on this department, Saint's Row possibly the worst one of the bunch, and JC is also garbage.
Watchdogs was decent i guess, but nowhere near as good as GTAV.
And fuck anyone who tells me "budget", i'm sure Ubisoft could spend some coin on WD.

Also, the JC team needs a way to make falling into the ocean not a complete fun death-trap.
Give Rico a propeller out of his arse, or whatever, i don't care, i don't want to be stuck swimming for 40 minutes, if i happen to touch the water while i'm gliding.

This was also a problem in JC2, they need to fix it.

Shari

I dont know if it was under an specific condition or not but I managed yesterday to make infinite flying by opening parachute and instantly swapping to wingsuit, changing between those gives you momentum and there's no limitation to that. As long as you not looking at climbing a mountain you can pretty much go forever.

Charcoal

I don't have a lot of faith that avalanche will fix their broken progression system.

Now we play the waiting game until a mod comes along that unlocks everything.

UrbanRats

I dont know if it was under an specific condition or not but I managed yesterday to make infinite flying by opening parachute and instantly swapping to wingsuit, changing between those gives you momentum and there's no limitation to that. As long as you not looking at climbing a mountain you can pretty much go forever.

I try that trick to not fall in the water, but you lose more and more speed, and eventually i always go down.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm on the side of not minding the challenges. I've learned to turn much better by using the method I used in GTAIV. I use the e brake and the regular brake in conjuction. Once you get the feel for it, it makes turning way better. What I do mind is the load times. I'm on PS4, and like others have said, load times are completely random. I did one of the bomb run challenges where the first load was like 5 seconds. The second try took about 3 minutes and only 3 little bars had ticked off of the load icon. I had to turn off the PS4.

I am actually happy that vehicles have more weight, even if it still feels a bit wonky. But thankfully this is not a driving game, so it is not an issue for me.

Shari

I try that trick to not fall in the water, but you lose more and more speed, and eventually i always go down.

Maybe is an specific thing to water? I managed that for over a minute while gliding over the land.

On the topic of water, I find irritating moving between islands, it's either a long-ass trip by boat or a shorter and equally boring journey with helicopter...

Need a fucking jet.

Edit:

For driving I just use the handbrake ALL the time, it makes for easier turns and L2/LT is pretty much useless aside from actually stopping.

I'm wondering how many people who don't like the story are new to the series? If you played JC2 and expected anything other than B-movie camp I don't know what to say. I mean just look at how JC2 ended.
I mean the first dev diary was about characterisation and story and apparently there's no evidence of improvement in the game so I'm not surprised that some people feel misled. Even if they played JC2, that dev diary might give the impression that it's something else.

Arttemis

I folded and bought this. Absofuckinglutely loving the shit out of this game. The upgradable systems via Gear Mods are fantastic. The freeform locomotion is insane. The graphics are gorgeous. The map is HUGE! It feels like Batman Arkham City meets Forza Horizon 2, with tons of guns and grenades thrown in.

Regarding the performance, it's 90% fine on PS4. I hope they do improve things because when you detonate a gas station in the middle of a town under siege, causing things to momentarily chug, but it's hardly bothersome to me. Flying/gliding around the city seems totally smooth, though, and I do that just as much, if not more, than blowing up cities.

The controls for automobiles take a bit getting used to, but the drifting is arcade-bliss during the time trials, and there's no punishment for instantaneously teleporting back to the last checkpoint mid-race other than having to accelerate back to speed from a stop, so it feels very low-pressure and high-enjoyment. I'm getting 6/6 gears on the second or third attempts for many trials.

I got to about 90% completion in Just Cause 2, without ever feeling like I needed to do story missions to get enjoyment out of gameplay. I feel it'll be the exact same way with this game. I'll play missions to unlock more Gear Mods, occasionally play missions, but I'm wholly satisfied with the emergent gameplay. The randomly spawning 'encounter' mini-missions ala RDR or GTAV are a very nice welcome, allowing some structured objectives amid the player driven wandering.

I mean the first dev diary was about characterisation and story and apparently there's no evidence of improvement in the game so I'm not surprised that some people feel misled. Even if they played JC2, that dev diary might give the impression that it's something else.

I disagree somewhat here. There was very little to enjoy about Just Cause 2's dialog. It was a total waste of drive space. While the story in JC3 isn't anything remarkable, the characterization and dialog is actually pleasing and often humorous banter. It may be totally forgettable, but it's not offensively generic and forgettable fluff as was the previous game. I'd say that's a big step up.

On the other it sort of makes sense from a game design standpoint and making every side challenge worthwhile. It makes more facets of the game have a bit of a point to them and encourage the player to partake in them, and some of these are thankfully varied enough to enjoy them and maintain a balenced barometer in terms of skill/reward ratio.

The problem with this line of thinking, if the developers really did rationalize their choice this way, is that it's bad design to make a significant portion of the game worthwhile through it's rewards alone. Challenges, as they exist right now, should be so fun on their own that the rewards seem like a bonus. Look at the Saint's Row series where, apart from a few stinkers like the "Snatch" activities, the minigames were so creative and fun on their own that I barely thought about what I was earning from completing them. That, and they only tied into the top-level upgrades (which were basically cheats), with everything else being earned through general progression.

Let's face it, the gears are redundant and shouldn't exist. Unlike Saint's Row, the activities here are lame and it's rarely, if ever, exciting to partake in them. What is fun is blowing shit up and earning Chaos, which is absolutely how upgrades should be unlocked.

Some neat PC trainers are already out though, so nobody on that platform will have to put up with the challenges for much longer.

danowat

Banned
The car tracker mod is useless, I was expecting it to highlight the cars I needed for the garage, but it uses the exact same blip / radar tracker as the collectibles, so you never know if you are near a car you need, or a collectible, waste of time.

SomTervo

Agreed - although on PC the load times aren't even an issue. It's just good times on the whole.

At least it actually has a load bar which progresses - imagine if JC3 had a looping/repeating loading icon T_T

Let's face it, the gears are redundant and shouldn't exist. Unlike Saint's Row, the activities here are lame and it's rarely, if ever, exciting to partake in them. What is fun is blowing shit up and earning Chaos, which is absolutely how upgrades should be unlocked.

I disagree with this. Playing on PC, so far 9/10 of the activities are pretty decent fun, some are even really fun. It's compelling getting all 5 gears (except in the occasional poorly designed challenge). And the upgrades are satisfying to get - it's incentivising me to liberate more towns/cause more chaos, which is only a good thing.

Shari

The problem with this line of thinking, if the developers really did rationalize their choice this way, is that it's bad design to make a significant portion of the game worthwhile through it's rewards alone. Challenges, as they exist right now, should be so fun on their own that the rewards seem like a bonus. Look at the Saint's Row series where, apart from a few stinkers like the "Snatch" activities, the minigames were so creative and fun on their own that I barely thought about what I was earning from completing them. That, and they only tied into the top-level upgrades (which were basically cheats), with everything else being earned through general progression.

Some neat PC trainers are already out though, so nobody on that platform will have to put up with the challenges for much longer.

I find challenges nice and I will be totally ok with them unlocking stuff if the loading times where not so painfully long.

Now, chaos is a different subject, I'm pretty sad nothing is given by chaos and its just an ever-growing number without no real meaning whatsoever.

I disagree with this. Playing on PC, so far 9/10 of the activities are pretty decent fun, some are even really fun. It's compelling getting all 5 gears (except in the occasional poorly designed challenge). And the upgrades are satisfying to get - it's incentivising me to liberate more towns/cause more chaos, which is only a good thing.

Agreed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm surprised people seem a bit down on the gears system. I thought it was something that Just Cause 3 did well, as most of the upgrades are really just superfluous or extensions of the basic abilities. There's some fun stuff in there, but the most "essential" upgrades are the very first in each category and can be unlocked very, very early on with one per-category challenge. Having to grind for the others is annoying, but it's all extra stuff and not a whole lot of game changing, system defining skills and equipment. Most of the really good toys, like vehicles and weapons, are not tied to gears at all. They're tied to base liberation and discovery, which is the cornerstone of the game.

And I guess that's why I find the gameplay loop in Just Cause 3 so satisfying. I don't feel gears and challenges are the cornerstone of moment-to-moment to play. It's a really pretty basic and totally optional levelling system. Instead the drive for me is to soar around the island decimate settlements and military bases, sometimes accompanied by a vehicle or weapon reward for the rebel drop.

I understand that a levelling system tied to chaos and liberation would be a neat, persistent reward for your interaction with the game world. But I also kind of appreciate that Just Cause 3 is so fun to play as is that I enjoy finding bases and blowing them to pieces just for enjoyment of the game systems. To me this is the game's strength; making that core game loop just plain fun and that alone the incentive to play in the first place.

SomTervo

I disagree somewhat here. There was very little to enjoy about Just Cause 2's dialog. It was a total waste of drive space. While the story in JC3 isn't anything remarkable, the characterization and dialog is actually pleasing and often humorous banter. It may be totally forgettable, but it's not offensively generic and forgettable fluff as was the previous game. I'd say that's a big step up.

This. I don't think the characterisation is good beyond Rico, but it's a big step up. It's actually passable here.

JC2 had fucking nothing. It was empty storywise and characterwise. At least there are a few chuckles/good vibes here.

I disagree with this. Playing on PC, so far 8/10 of the activities are pretty decent fun. It's compelling getting all 5 gears (except in the occasional poorly designed challenge). And the upgrades are satisfying to get - it's incentivising me to liberate more towns/cause more chaos, which is only a good thing.

How did they get this so wrong were Mad Max did this so well.

I think they got it fine.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm surprised people seem a bit down on the gears system. I thought it was something that Just Cause 3 did well, as most of the upgrades are really just superfluous or extensions of the basic abilities. There's some fun stuff in there, but the most "essential" upgrades are the very first in each category and can be unlocked very, very early on with one per-category challenge. Having to grind for the others is annoying, but it's all extra stuff and not a whole lot of game changing, system defining skills and equipment. Most of the really good toys, like vehicles and weapons, are not tied to gears at all. They're tied to base liberation and discovery, which is the cornerstone of the game.

And I guess that's why I find the gameplay loop in Just Cause 3 so satisfying. I don't feel gears and challenges are the cornerstone of moment-to-moment to play. It's a really pretty basic and totally optional levelling system. Instead the drive for me is to soar around the island decimate settlements and military bases, sometimes accompanied by a vehicle or weapon reward for the rebel drop.

I understand that a levelling system tied to chaos and liberation would be a neat, persistent reward for your interaction with the game world. But I also kind of appreciate that Just Cause 3 is so fun to play as is that I enjoy finding bases and blowing them to pieces just for enjoyment of the game systems. To me this is the game's strength; making that core game loop just plain fun and that alone the incentive to play in the first place.

In a nutshell.

SomTervo

Word.

If you're going to complain about something in the game, definitely complain about what seems to be big problems with the console versions.

TVexperto

So how much gametime do you get? I was thinking about renting the game during christmas for one week, is that enough?

NotLiquid

do you need to get 5 gears in every challenge to unlock everything? or can i get away with 3 gears?

You can view how many gears of each subsequent mod you need in the menu (as they are unlocked in order). It varies. Sometimes you'll only need three gears to unlock your next mod, while at others you'll need a little more.

Durden77

I gotta say, I'm a little dissapointed with the stunt position in this game. You gain the abilty to move around on the vehicle, but you lose the ability to slightly control the vehicle and easily parachute off (at least as far as I can tell.) Seems like there's way more emphasis on just the instant parachute out of the vehicle.

Other than technical issues, it's my only dissapointment, but shit the stunt position was my jam in JC2.

natertots

So how much gametime do you get? I was thinking about renting the game during christmas for one week, is that enough?

Gametime as in stuff to do? This game could keep you occupied for a very very long time. I played the game for two hours earlier and literally did nothing but parachute around looking for Easter eggs and had a blast. You could definitely keep yourself occupied for a week with this. I bought it digitally just because I know I'll play it until the next one comes out. I just turn on just cause and fly around and blow shit up if I'm bored.

Even on the destruction side of things, I'm not a fan of some choices. The biggest is probably the fact that, if you leave the biggest and most interesting target for last, it's destruction will be cut off by the liberation screen.

I just got done wrecking an immense satellite dish with tethers alone, and was really excited to watch it crash down onto the enemy forces below. Unfortunately, the moment that the dish disconnected from it's base and began to fall, it disappeared instantly along with the enemies as the "settlement liberated" screen popped up.

Buzzkill. And this isn't a freak accident, the game always sweeps away everything related to the enemy faction the moment that it registers the final chaos object being destroyed.

brau

This. I liberate areas and then find it fun to fly around picking up trinkets and collectibles. I set up a marker and wingsuit over there. I feel like i keep getting better and better.

I actually really like the challenges so far, tho some are just weird. haha Gotta get the hand of them but like you said, they are not mandatory but its a good idea to get the first upgrades.

I also like the leaderboards a lot. Its fun to see my name against other gaffers haha.

The game does need coop. It would be a lot of fun.

Even on the destruction side of things, I'm not a fan of some choices. The biggest is probably the fact that, if you leave the biggest and most interesting target for last, it's destruction will be cut off by the liberation screen.

I just got done wrecking an immense satellite dish with tethers alone, and was really excited to watch it crash down onto the enemy forces below. Unfortunately, the moment that the dish disconnected from it's base and began to fall, it disappeared instantly along with the enemies as the "settlement liberated" screen popped up.

Buzzkill. And this isn't a freak accident, the game always sweeps away everything related to the enemy faction the moment that it registers the final chaos object being destroyed.

It does need like a 10 to 15 second delay. Or maybe the option to hit X pops up which is how the gamer triggers the settlement liberated screen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

There are only so many times I can drive/fly/glide through rings before I want to gouge my eyes out of my skull.

Still got my fingers crossed for a trainer/cheat engine table to unlock all the gear mods so I can just skip this nonsense.

Mifune

Mehmber
I played this for about 4 hours last night on PS4. Friend and I just passed the controller back and forth liberating settlements. It's a lot of fun.

Performance is fine most of the time, too. Sure when the shrapnel is flying and bombs are going off everywhere, the framerate dips drastically, but strangely that was part of its charm.

UrbanRats

I think that loop would remain more or less intact had they given you those mods in an easier fashion, though my main gripe with the game is how they felt the need to restrict the rebel drop system with limited flares and cool downs.
Even in MGSV you can do drop after drop, if you have the cash.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I gotta say, I'm a little dissapointed with the stunt position in this game. You gain the abilty to move around on the vehicle, but you lose the ability to slightly control the vehicle and easily parachute off (at least as far as I can tell.) Seems like there's way more emphasis on just the instant parachute out of the vehicle.

Other than technical issues, it's my only dissapointment, but shit the stunt position was my jam in JC2.

If you hold "a" when driving, you'll jump out of the vehicle directly into parachute. I'm not sure but that might work while stunting as well.

Edit: oh sorry I guess you knew about that

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Also, if you find a rebel standing around and honk, they will get in the car. Then when you stunt, the rebel will drive the car.

You can even put a waypoint on the map and the rebel will drive you to it while you stunt.

You can do some fun base/village assaults using this.

Durden77

If you hold "a" when driving, you'll jump out of the vehicle directly into parachute. I'm not sure but that might work while stunting as well.

It doesn't work while stunting which I have no idea why. Some of my favorite parts of JC2 were stunting on a car down a hill and parachuting off before an explosion.

Also, if you find a rebel standing around and honk, he'll get in the car. Then when you stunt, the rebel will drive the car.

You can even put a waypoint on the map and the rebel will drive you to it while you stunt.

This is really cool though, good to know. Wonder if you could pull it off with planes. The ability to control them a bit in JC2 in stunt mode made for some awesome moments.

Corpekata

Banned
Unlocked the booster C4. It's a bit lightweight. Like, the video of it shows it being used on a car. I've loaded the backs of a few cars with it and they don't really budge. Does it need to be a specific angle?

Aerocrane

Unlocked the booster C4. It's a bit lightweight. Like, the video of it shows it being used on a car. I've loaded the backs of a few cars with it and they don't really budge. Does it need to be a specific angle?

One of the later unlocks makes the boost more powerful.

The other thing is that many challenges are quite liberal in giving out gears even if you "fail". For example, if you crash during a wingsuit challenge you get to keep the gears unlocked so far in the run as your score goes up.

Nokterian

Hopefully someone will make a mod that unlocks all mods and that u can use them. Also avalanche needs to reduce the loading times and reduce the login at the start.

Durden77

Got more used to the wingsuit today. Damn is it awesome. Once you get the hang of grappling for speed it's amazing.

Framerate issues are popping up more and more. It really is a shame. It's so fun and pretty much everything I wanted, but I want to see it run smooth. If Mad Max is any indication, they'll get it patched up, but I wanna play it now.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The car tracker mod is useless, I was expecting it to highlight the cars I needed for the garage, but it uses the exact same blip / radar tracker as the collectibles, so you never know if you are near a car you need, or a collectible, waste of time.

Uh, you know you're near a car you don't have or a collectible, neither of which is a waste of time. If you stop moving and the signal changes it is obviously moving, in other words, a vehicle.

I think it works great because I don't have to remember what vehicles I've captured, nor do I have to look in the menus. If it is something I don't have and can cap the tracker lets me know.

This is how I feel. I've done enough of the challenges to get a few mods in each category, and aside from the wingsuit ones giving some good vantage points, none of them have been particularly fun. They took the most boring types of scenarios in open world side activities (flying challenges, time trials, and stringing together destruction with a timer) and made them THE mode of unlocking stuff that can let me be more creative and spontaneous while causing Chaos. You can say they aren't essential upgrades, but that doesn't mean they're not still very useful. I want to have more grenades, I want to place more C4, I want more tethers, I want to zipline from the wingsuit, I want to zipline from a zipline, I want grapple boosts, I want homing and glass grenades, I want stronger zipline kicks, I want more ammo from drops, I want to be able to precision aim my weapons. Can you beat the game without this stuff? Of course, but I'd like to be able to access that content by doing what the game does best: Targeted, free form destruction in the open world.

And not to harp on this, but the challenges as structured cause so much loading downtime on consoles, something that Avalanche were obviously aware of and went ahead with the design anyway. This stuff should've been scrapped the moment they realized they couldn't get the start up times down to like 5 seconds, and the restarts instant. Also when they realized their ground vehicle handling model was baaaad, so since JC2. Play to your strengths, man.

First trainer I've seen that unlocks everything:

mrantifun.net/index.php?threads/just-cause-3-trainer.6366/

Works well and seems perfectly clean, give it a shot if you're sick of the challenges.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm getting an incredibly annoying sound stutter every now and then that makes me feel like the game is slowing down to 5 FPS, even though it is always kinda keeping up. Hoping for a patch soon, it's really annoying.

MAX PAYMENT

This game has a horrible begging. Wtf. Horrendous load times. I died in the beginning and got put into an endless load.

Top Bottom