• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Carm

Just finished the PS4 version, 4/10 in its current state. Most of the missions are at best average, and then there are the multiple 'protect these stupid AI with health bars missions' which all are awful. Story is garbage, voice acting is bad. Horrible load times with challenges, I ended up skipping them all except to fill out the wingsuit tree and to get x2 ammo on special weapons. Aiming/shooting never felt good in the game, even with unlocking manual aiming.

The worst framerate problems I've seen in a game in a long time, every settlement and base I attacked was in slow motion at least half of the time, on foot or using the double missles chopper. The world looks nice but is basically empty, the few times I actually saw an animal in the environment, it was always just one, long stretches to see another one. Three of those points are for mostly the wingsuit but also the parachute and tether traversal, other point is the environment looks nice.

Didn't bother collecting the collectibles, have better things to do, like watching paint dry.

Also, hijacking cars, vehicles from civilians and having them die from jacking as the hero is a really odd choice since there is no repercussions.

Undead

Damn the huge major island is so cool. Finally started exploring it tonight. The split up islands in the Southwest are also pretty rad. Kind of makes me wonder why they put you on that initial island for so long. It's so cookie cutter compared to these. Along with the gear mod unlocks, this game's pacing is weird sometimes.

Going to the highest mountain top in the game and looking around though, I see no sign of the Mile High Club. Shame, I loved that place in JC2. Still holding out hope something like it is in this game.

Oh the mile high club is still there.

Just these days it's more the "down to earth club"

Balphon

Sticking finicky challenge courses behind 60 second loads for every retry is not particularly endearing.

The game is fun otherwise, though.

Neil_J_UK

Sticking finicky challenge courses behind 60 second loads for every retry is not particularly endearing.

The game is fun otherwise, though.

The thing I don't understand is I've had some challenges load in 5 seconds from the open world, then take 40 seconds to load when I retry after failing.

SomTervo

Purely visual Easter eggs are pretty weak in general IMO. Stuff like that cave or Thor's hammer, or the crashed Mile High Club, or the snowman, or the volcano would be so much more interesting with some strange interaction or scenario attached to them. Like a weird Rockstar style Strangers and Freaks encounter. Simply finding something in the world should only be half of the discovery. I wish they worked on stuff like that rather than creating dozens of challenges to gate upgrades.

Yeah, they're nice but vacuous.

Reminds me of yet another thing Dying Light did perfectly - easter eggs which actually impact gameplay.

For instance you can find Excalibur - the sword in the stone - literally in a stone hidden away in a secret cranny. It breaks eventually but is super powerful.

And even more mind boggling, if you find a certain chimney in Dying Light's second map and do a certain thing (I can't remember what), you are teleported to a 3D version of Super Mario Bros 1-1 and if you manage to complete it, you unlock a game-changing wingsuit (not available in the entire game otherwise, unless you do this easter egg).

Now that is an easter egg. Loads more in the game, too, like a Destiny 'loot cave'.

The thing I don't understand is I've had some challenges load in 5 seconds from the open world, then take 40 seconds to load when I retry after failing.

I'm not excusing Avalanche here - but The Witcher 3 has the same thing. In TW3 if you fast travel even across the map (which is twice as detailed yet a similar size to JC3's) it takes all-in about 5-10 seconds. But if you die? Can take up to a minute.

It's because there's loads of info tied to your save (what's complete, what isn't, your upgrades, your current weapons and ammo, what's destroyed and what isn't, what cars you have or haven't unlocked, your exact X/Y/Z co-ordinates) so when the game loads it reads all that info into the RAM, and when you die it has to read all that info again, into the RAM, even though it's only stepping back a minute or two in time.

However, when you fast travel, all that info is already read into the RAM. It's literally just loading a new part of the map and moving your model. Nothing needs to be re-read into the gameworld except the physical location (which is super optimised obviously).

Undead

Where is it? Haven't found any club or lounge bar, even though JC2 had plenty of either.

It's up on the northern coast of Maestrale, can't remember the exact location but a bit of beach cruising along that coastline and you'll find it

Wow. The Justcause3mods.com website is my hero. I cannot believe that the introduction video we see every time we load JC3 is literally just there for "fun". I thought it was just a cute way to hide a really long initial load... but nope. The mod on JC3 removes the video and I get into the game at least 30 seconds faster without that stupid unskippable video.

E92 M3

You guys really overstated the technical issues. Sure the loading is a bit long, but I am absolutely loving the game on the Xbox. It's a huge and beautiful world.

Man the map is broken when you get to 60% completion or so. 10+ seconds to become functional. It needs a separate loading screen. They should have just made separate maps for each region.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. The Justcause3mods.com website is my hero. I cannot believe that the introduction video we see every time we load JC3 is literally just there for "fun". I thought it was just a cute way to hide a really long initial load... but nope. The mod on JC3 removes the video and I get into the game at least 30 seconds faster without that stupid unskippable video.

FUCK YES.

darthkarki

Oh, awesome! Thanks for posting that, that is awesome to know. They have infinite beacons too which I will definitely install. I can't believe they added this arbitrary limit system on the rebel drops after going on and on in interviews about how much fun the devs have just spawning stuff in, so they thought "why not add that to the game?" They take out cash, but then just replace it with beacons. :/

Whatever. That's what mods are for :)

Oh, awesome! Thanks for posting that, that is awesome to know. They have infinite beacons too which I will definitely install. I can't believe they added this arbitrary limit system on the rebel drops after going on and on in interviews about how much fun the devs have just spawning stuff in, so they thought "why not add that to the game?" They take out cash, but then just replace it with beacons. :/

Whatever. That's what mods are for :)

No problem. Someone posted it in this thread yesterday or so which is how I found it. I'm always nervous about using other mods that unlock stuff because it might ruin the fun for me in the long run, but I was happy to install the mod to skip that damn intro.

Can you explain how to install that? I read the instructions but they don't really make any sense and I'm not a stranger to installing mods. It says to make sure the folder named dropzone is going into the dropzone folder in the game directory. Well there's no dropzone folder there. Is it just worded poorly and trying to say to place the folder in the game directory not merge it to an already existing folder named that?

Can you explain how to install that? I read the instructions but they don't really make any sense and I'm not a stranger to installing mods. It says to make sure the folder named dropzone is going into the dropzone folder in the game directory. Well there's no dropzone folder there. Is it just worded poorly and trying to say to place the folder in the game directory not merge it to an already existing folder named that?

The dropzone folder is what is extracted from the zip. Just put that folder in the JC3 directory. I had the same question and figured it out once I unzipped the download. Once unzipped, you literally have a folder called "Dropzone" ...yeah, bad instructions on that website IMO.

Some of these challenges are complete bollocks.

I have an absolutely perfect flying run and get 30 milliseconds over every time. Not to mention the fast travel bullshit beacons are tied to these challenges.

The dropzone folder is what is extracted from the zip. Just put that folder in the JC3 directory. I had the same question and figured it out once I unzipped the download. Once unzipped, you literally have a folder called "Dropzone" ...yeah, bad instructions on that website IMO.

Ah thanks, damn that's much better not having to put up with that anymore. What a weird design idea to just throw in an artificial blocker like that for no reason but cool points. They could have at least rendered it in decent quality if they wanted us to stare at it so much.

Undead

I have an absolutely perfect flying run and get 30 milliseconds over every time. Not to mention the fast travel bullshit beacons are tied to these challenges.

The flying ones are bad, whoever had the bright idea of mapping nitro to thrust should be whipped for stupidity.
The planes always go slower when R2/T is not held in but the only way to recharge nitro is to let it go of the trigger and let the plane go slower thus defeating the fucking point of nitro in planes

Are you guys using the default planes for the challenge? I was going to wait until I find a jet before starting the challenges, should be 10x easier then. It has at least made a lot of the races easier having the F1 car for land races :p

Nah, I've been taking jets over each time, haven't unlocked a jet yet so have to fly one to the start each time

MaxiLive

The flying ones are bad, whoever had the bright idea of mapping nitro to thrust should be whipped for stupidity.
The planes always go slower when R2/T is not held in but the only way to recharge nitro is to let it go of the trigger and let the plane go slower thus defeating the fucking point of nitro in planes

Are you guys using the default planes for the challenge? I was going to wait until I find a jet before starting the challenges, should be 10x easier then. It has at least made a lot of the races easier having the F1 car for land races :p

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I recently rented the bone version from redbox and despite the slowdowns, I was having a fun time. But man it sucks when the game chugs even when nothing is happening. Still conflicted on whether I should stick with my ps4 copy.

Qwell

Yah I unlocked the fighter jet early and just used that for everything, only one challenge gave me a slight issue and it was the challenge that defaulted to the fighter jet. I have everything under the plane gear available now which is great. Planes and Helos whenever I want.

Khasim

Nah, I've been taking jets over each time, haven't unlocked a jet yet so have to fly one to the start each time

If you squeeze the trigger halfway then you get throttle without using nitro. I found out by accident.

Lego Boss

Just finished the PS4 version, 4/10 in its current state. Most of the missions are at best average, and then there are the multiple 'protect these stupid AI with health bars missions' which all are awful. Story is garbage, voice acting is bad. Horrible load times with challenges, I ended up skipping them all except to fill out the wingsuit tree and to get x2 ammo on special weapons. Aiming/shooting never felt good in the game, even with unlocking manual aiming.

The worst framerate problems I've seen in a game in a long time, every settlement and base I attacked was in slow motion at least half of the time, on foot or using the double missles chopper. The world looks nice but is basically empty, the few times I actually saw an animal in the environment, it was always just one, long stretches to see another one. Three of those points are for mostly the wingsuit but also the parachute and tether traversal, other point is the environment looks nice.

Didn't bother collecting the collectibles, have better things to do, like watching paint dry.

Also, hijacking cars, vehicles from civilians and having them die from jacking as the hero is a really odd choice since there is no repercussions.

Glad you liked it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I really want to see a co-op mode for this game!

I'm hoping that something like that is in the works for an official release on all platforms. If I recall, they said that the game wouldn't launch with multiplayer, without saying that the game would never have multiplayer.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So I played the game a bit more last night, this time signed out of PSN, and I noticed the load times were definitely improved, especially regarding challenge retries. I'd guess they were about 20 seconds or so. That gives me hope that they can be patched and improved significantly.

Also ran into my first crippling slowdown, during a story mission where I was riding on top of a truck while it raced down the highway, pursued by helicopters and military trucks. Game literally slowed to single digit frames and became unplayable, especially when I tried to grapple onto the pursuers and take over their vehicles -- which leads me to a question -- weren't you able to board the tops of vehicles in JC2 and rotate the stick around and shoot different occupants? JC3 just didn't seem very smooth in this regard, but maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on, not sure.

Which idiot decided to gate the tether skills behind a fucking abhorrent minigame THAT DOESN'T USE THE TETHER. Nothing says fun tethering like shepherding a load of rocks into a pit.

I'm hoping that something like that is in the works for an official release on all platforms. If I recall, they said that the game wouldn't launch with multiplayer, without saying that the game would never have multiplayer.

They said the same thing for JC2 and that never was patched with MP on consoles. With all the technical issues they have with SP, MP is a pipe dream on PS4/XB1. I'd love to be wrong though.

cantona222

The game is becoming repetatie and boring. Currently I have to capture mutiple outposts in order to open new story missions. Also I am getting bored with the challenges. So how are you guys playing the game? I mean what is your recipe of switching between different missions/challenges in order not to get bored.

Wingsuit.. wingsuit.. wingsuit.. oh hey a goat - booster rocket slingshot - wingsuit.. wingsuit.. oh hey a plane - never forget - wingsuit.. wingsuit..

Then I do a couple missions. Maybe airdrop that super fast lambo looking car and try to find a jump. Liberated the first island last night and started getting all of the collectables and doing all of the worthwhile challenges(while wingsuiting and fucking around).

The game is becoming repetatie and boring. Currently I have to capture mutiple outposts in order to open new story missions. Also I am getting bored with the challenges. So how are you guys playing the game? I mean what is your recipe of switching between different missions/challenges in order not to get bored.

Me, i "explore" randomly and give me goal and try to make them happen.

I see it more ( to date ) as a "Stunt simulator" and explosion simulator.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So nice of you to crash while I'm liberating a base...

toBYnR6.jpg

Still loading up, let's see how much progress I lost. =/

SJRB

Gold Member
So nice of you to crash while I'm liberating a base...

Still loading up, let's see how much progress I lost. =/

I've had this more than once, the game auto-saves extremely frequently so chances are you didn't lose any progress.

It's up on the northern coast of Maestrale, can't remember the exact location but a bit of beach cruising along that coastline and you'll find it

Found it. Rather anti-climactic, haha.

vypek

Absolutely. Easily the worst part of the game. They shouldnt have even bothered to put them in. If they wanted to lock upgrades, put them behind natural mechanics used in the game. C4 upgrades through kills/use of C4. Gun upgrades through headshots, shooting a hanging/tethered enemy, etc. Its so cumbersome to get to the more fun stuff.

It is this kind of stuff that makes me wonder who greenlit certain stuff. There is no way these guys played this game and thought the vehicle handling was good or the challenges were good. The loading screen says practice makes perfect but who wants to keep replaying to unlock gear mods when the load time to restart is longer than the challenge? Really odd design decision. The room for error in these challenges is a sliver.

I played the last Just Cause multiple times and sank hundreds of hours in but I cand to that this time around with the best gear mods being too tucked away. I really hope they would patch something to fix this or just put in a mod to massovely multiply challenge scores but I have little faith in them at this point. If they do makes these challenges give 5 gears more readily, I will gladly play this game over and over. As it is now, I barely feel like finishing.

Purkake4

Banned

The ones where you shoot up an empty base aren't much better,

You guys really overstated the technical issues. Sure the loading is a bit long, but I am absolutely loving the game on the Xbox. It's a huge and beautiful world.

I've played for quite a while on Xbox and the framerate is horrendous. If this game required precise aiming it would absolutely be unplayable, but fortunately the generous auto-aim saves it.

edgefusion

What is with these constant disconnects I keep getting? Every 40 minutes or so the game pauses to tell me it's disconnected! If I enter offline mode the bastard thing just reconnects as soon as I open the menu. Infuriating! Just let me be offline if you can't stay connected! I don't care about shitty leaderboards! :mad:

vypek

I just realized this game does the whole "new region, all stronger enemies" which would be fine in most cases but getting bombarded with super weapons and not being able to move really gets annoying in some bases.

Briarios

Ugh I want to like this game more than I can ... the load times are absolutely criminal. I've been waiting for a load for like 10 minutes now and it's still going. This is insane, and it's not like you can stop it for fear of corrupting a save or something. I like so much about it, but this just destroys the fun.

Sometimes, it loads fast, sometimes it takes a minute or two, then for no discernible reason, you get these ungodly waits. I've actually been playing as long as I've been waiting for a load this time ...

Edit: Total load time just over 10 1/2 minutes on the PS4 ... crazy.

Top Bottom