• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

tmarques

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because MS of whoever decides to put something on their TOS doesn't mean they can legally enforce it. I'm pretty sure they'd own our houses and first-borns by now if that was the case.

I was on the fence with this. MS are trying to fight greedy modder community. But not unbanning with proof of purchase is demential.

Sure MS did craft something amazing though.

1. create unified online service
2. charge for it
3. have people think it's the most amazing thing since light bulbs
4. ban for unwarranted reason
???
5. new console sale

Addiction I tell ya.

Trey

I fucking hate it when people hide behind the whole "they're within their legal rights" bullshit. That doesn't make it right.

Right in this case is a different matter between MS and yourself (and others). The onus is on you, the consumer, to force MS to change their policy.

What do you gain by being "right" if the law doesn't recognize it? MS can and will tell you to deal or get the fuck out unless you broach (or they figure out) constructive measures for them to make money/protect their IP while not fucking consumers with niche issues.

Unfortunately, this is not a big enough issue currently to light a large fire under MS' ass. RRoD was, and MS reacted accordingly.

That being said, free Skel1ingt0n.

Gatombre

Neo Member
I fucking hate it when people hide behind the whole "they're within their legal rights" bullshit. That doesn't make it right.

Unfortunately we've been seeing a lot of this sort of thing in the games industry and it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Abusive EULAs have been common for decades now. Further, it's very difficult to unite such a diverse consumer base, many of which are less informed and invested than your average GAF reader/poster, in order to vote with our wallets and do something meaningful about anti-consumer policies.

DigitalOp

Banned
Seriously GAF, We need to unite for this.. This is bigger than GAF too, Pretty much any serious gamer should rally for this.

This is fucking rediculous. Forget the matter of OP, Its the actual policy that's trash, Nothing was done wrong, nobody has been hurt. This is a true slap in the face to gamers more than any other "bullshit" cause (Bad DLC, Online passes). Play a game your retailer sold early? BAN. Buy a new console. Hey, we'll charge you for Live too!!

Seriously, Im tired of gamers getting fucked in the arse regarding our hobby, Im even MORE TIRED of gamers defending their own arse getting screwed!!! Fuck the fanboyism, Console warrior syndrome.... Corporations arent your fucking friends. They don't give a shit about you, They never will give a shit about you, and if they had the opportunity... they would bleed you dry of every penny you have. Their sole purpose is to consume the economy people!!

Its rediculous, When will it be enough? If we don't stand up for anything, than nothing will be done about it and things will only get worse.

I would create a petition or some kind of visible authority but I don't know the steps. Who can point me in the right direction??

Thanks.

Do people not read Junior Member posts?

Im actually really trying to a find a solution to this shit man, This is fucked up and it shouldnt continue.

It's pretty much the video game industry where these attacks on consumers are happening, Not Movies, Not Music, Not Books

All of us typing and discussing our displeasurement on a forum isn't gonna get this solved, We need to take the proper course action

So Bobby Kotick could come rape you and since you inadvertantly agreed to it in a EULA you'd take it without fighting. K. I see.
Bobby-Kotick.jpg

Kusagari

Calling for fellow users to be banned has led to bans. Be more respectful of your fellow GAFers.

Maybe Stinkles should have the decency to reply to the dudes PMs. If he can't do it, he can't do it. But just fucking tell the guy after you promised it would be fixed.

Gatombre

Neo Member
Im actually really trying to a find a solution to this shit man, This is fucked up and it shouldnt continue.

It's pretty much the video game industry where these attacks on consumers are happening, Not Movies, Not Music, Not Books

Anti-consumer policies aren't really something you only see in video games. Music, for instance, has painful pricing and payola issues and movie ticket costs have only gone up while quality has (arguably) declined.

Either way, as I said, it would be difficult to address. The base of video game consumers who would be willing and invested enough to vote with their wallet seems like it would be fairly minimal, especially in comparison to the volume of people who buy games as gifts or on rare occasions and aren't as interested in the industry or its practices.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because MS of whoever decides to put something on their TOS doesn't mean they can legally enforce it. I'm pretty sure they'd own our houses and first-borns by now if that was the case.
A contract is only as good as a judge will enforce it. There are legal boundaries to what people can agree to.

Do people not read Junior Member posts?

All of us typing and discussing our displeasurement on a forum isn't gonna get this solved, We need to take the proper course action

You lost me when you misspelled ridiculous twice, but I agree with the sentiment. This is more worthy of outrage than the Geoff Keighley shit.

And you think he should be banned for offering help and not following through? Wow, that's rough.

He said that the console will be unbanned, one month ago. He didn't offered help, he offered to resolve the situation.

Banned? of course not, but some kind of explanation would be nice...specially for the guy involved in the mess.

Maybe Stinkles should have the decency to reply to the dudes PMs. If he can't do it, he can't do it. But just fucking tell the guy after you promised it would be fixed.

There's been posts from Stinkles about this. Not sure if it was in this thread, though, but it's not as cut and dried as the OP is saying.

NinjaBoiX

Well if he can't do anything he should tell Skellington that. But leaving him hanging like this is scummy as hell.
Scummy, maybe. Bannable? Hell no.
He said that the console will be unbanned, one month ago. He didn't offered help, he offered to resolve the situation.

Banned? of course not, but some kind of explanation would be nice...specially for the guy involved in the mess.

robotnjik

I also wrote to Stinkles two weeks ago. I didn't want to bother him before I try everything with MS support. Message is still unread. At least he didn't promised anything to me, so I don't have to say anything against him or why he is not replying.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The whole situation is fucked up, but this really doesn't sit with me well:

relax. I will take care of it. Your copy is not legitimate - the store efffed up. But you will be unbanned soon.

A month later and you haven't done shit while ignoring PMs (even though you were surfing earlier today) makes this post come off as very shitty now.

Instead of crying and calling for Stinkles to be banned, maybe check his post history:

He responds to the OP:

Here

And

here
uhh those posts are from almost a month ago, right after this thread was posted. OP has messaged Stinkles since and gotten no reply

not to mention the fact that he shouldn't need to show a receipt in any case to play his retail copy of the game, but w/e

darthbob

The whole situation is fucked up, but this really doesn't sit with me well:

A month later and you haven't done shit while ignoring PMs (even though you were surfing earlier today) makes this post come off as very shitty now.

What makes you think that he hasn't tried?

Frank's a game dev. He doesn't work in the XBLPET.

Edit: Besides, we haven't seen the whole picture. We're can't make a judgment without knowing the details behind this, so it's quite improper to just jump to conclusions.

Wow I was wondering why this thread was getting bumped, had no idea the OP was still banned. God that post from Stinkles looks bad now lol

Skiesofwonder

Edit: Besides, we haven't seen the whole picture. We're can't make a judgment without knowing the details behind this, so it's quite improper to just jump to conclusions.

Then I suggest Stinkle to NOT post a defacto post saying "you will be unbanned soon" if he/she doesn't now for sure that said promise can be fulfilled. Now it just looks like an attempt to do damage control.

Edit: sorry for DP.

That was three days after the fact and we have a poster here saying a receipt doesn't even matter.

And we have a bunch of people that were banned who got it overturned by calling support. Why won't the OP call support? Why buy a new console instead of making a simple phone call? He claims the store couldn't provide a receipt at the time of sale, but would ring it through later. Fine, go back and get that receipt. Or perhaps he bought it from someone that deals in stolen goods. Who knows, but something tells me the OP isn't giving the complete story.

Kusagari

And we have a bunch of people that were banned who got it overturned by calling support. Why won't the OP call support? Why buy a new console instead of making a simple phone call? He claims the store couldn't provide a receipt at the time of sale, but would ring it through later. Fine, go back and get that receipt. Or perhaps he bought it from someone that deals in stolen goods. Who knows, but something tells me the OP isn't giving the complete story.

OP could definitely be bullshitting some parts, but Stinkles silence says a lot to me.

He could easily come in and clear this all up. He's certainly been on GAF enough the past 2 days.

Zoe

Live is an opt-in service at Microsoft's discretion. Nobody has an inherent right to use it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Instead of crying and calling for Stinkles to be banned, maybe check his post history:

He responds to the OP:

Here

And

here
We all knew his already.
That's what most of us are surprised nothing ever happened.

He shouldn't make posts like that, and ignore PMs.

We all knew his already.
That's what most of us are surprised nothing ever happened.

Has the OP produced the receipt? That appeared to be all that was needed.

OP could definitely be bullshitting some parts, but Stinkles silence says a lot to me.

He could easily come in and clear this all up. He's certainly been on GAF enough the past 2 days.

Does he even know this thread has bubbled to the surface again?

darthbob

He's on vacation (possibly with close friends and family) after shipping a AAA release. Why would this be a top priority?

I'm trying to be objective as possible here. While Frank's silence speaks volumes, it isn't unreasonable to assume that he's busy with personal matters. Plus, we don't know the context of OP's conversations, or even the whole story.

While yes, this situation sucks, there's no need to crucify the man.

There's been posts from Stinkles about this. Not sure if it was in this thread, though, but it's not as cut and dried as the OP is saying.

It never is. There is always important information left out and for a reason.

Because providing a receipt shows what store it is. He is hiding that information and it is important enough to hide for him to rebuy another console and Live to protect them.

Skiesofwonder

OP could be spinning some bullshit, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft bans accounts (not on the exempt list) playing games before streetdate no matter the reason, and Stinkle came in with a damage control post promising something that hasn't yet been fulfilled a month later and is now ignoring PMs. Both of these actions are messed up.

Because providing a receipt shows what store it is. He is hiding that information and it is important enough to hid for him to rebuy another console and Live to protect them.

My guess is he knowingly bought stolen goods or a store he's associated with broke a street date and he doesn't want it to get in trouble.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Because providing a receipt shows what store it is. He is hiding that information and it is important enough to hide for him to rebuy another console and Live to protect them.
Who fucking cares what store it is from? The game was not pirated, the console should not have been banned. Period. Do you get receipts when you buy things from friends or from some random guy on craigslist? No receipt doesn't mean he stole it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Stinkles should be banned from GAF if the OP doesnt get his gamertag back IMO. This is Dyack levels of fuckery.

I hope you're joking. Frank said he had a round of contact with the OP and I assume he sent a note to the correct people. He is in no way responsible for this, and didn't even have to step in as he did. Comparing him to Dyack is ridiculous.

dummydecoy

My guess is he knowingly bought stolen goods or a store he's associated with broke a street date and he doesn't want it to get in trouble.

Yep. But a permanent ban is too harsh.
OP, why don't you abandon the Xbox and switch over to the other side? Show M$ they just lost a loyal customer! :p

darthbob

Who fucking cares what store it is from? The game was not pirated, the console should not have been banned. Period. Do you get receipts when you buy things from friends or from some random guy on craigslist? No receipt doesn't mean he stole it.

The fact remains that there was pre-release title play through an illegitimate purchase.

OP seems to be refusing the provide a receipt, and I'm only guessing that an ultimatum was provided that is "either provide us with a valid receipt of purchase or your account and such will remain banned."

I suppose OP elected for the latter.

Stinkles never was a member of this forum to play 343 Ambassador. He's been a member since like what, 2004? Give the dude a break, fixing this shit is not his job AND he's already responded and did what he could do.

Top Bottom