• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

it's pretty easy when you've seen both shows

i mean this show has its own goofy charm "me and dead owls dont give a hoot" herp a derp

but nothing has really struck me as "wow this is great writing"
I don't really see anything that can be compared or, like solo said, anything about either show that can be improved upon.

I will say however, that almost any villain on Justified is more likable than any Mad Men character.

Solo

I can't see any other show on TV even creating a character like Boyd. It's a happy accident he survived episode 1 and what they slapped together for him in S1 while he was away shooting Predators was great, but it's some how managed to even get better from there. He is the second main character on this show now, a complete anomaly of a man played like he was doing this all his life by Goggins. Seriously, fuck a Game of Thrones, give goggins all the emmy's.

That scene in the season preview shown after the premiere with Raylon and Boyd together with tag team shotguns.........GOOD LORD. My head might 'asplode when that happens.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Boyd's character/Goggins is an awesome combination. I'm still waiting for a scene where he kills someone gracefully showing how crazy he really is.

Quarles is Boyd without a code or a view on reality. And Boyd's gotta be the dark knight come to take his ass down when Raylan can't.

Did I just miss an episode where Winona suddenly became okay with not moving far away and being all "it's okay, it's your job" with Raylan? Because it certainly seems like they decided to pull a 180 with her character between seasons.

SpeedingUptoStop

Did I just miss an episode where Winona suddenly became okay with not moving far away and being all "it's okay, it's your job" with Raylan? Because it certainly seems like they decided to pull a 180 with her character between seasons.

The premiere indicated that she would give him slack after the shooting, but this episode seemed to plant some seeds of discomfort again with their chit chat in the beginning getting interrupted. The wrters have specifically mentioned this will be a big deal this season again.

That mexican standoff was superb. It's amazing considering all the action we've seen over the course of 30ish episodes, that these scenes still feel fresh and inventive, and not forced.

I can only imagine how crazy the latter parts of this season will be.

I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending but... you have a lot to learn about women.

I can't see any other show on TV even creating a character like Boyd. It's a happy accident he survived episode 1 and what they slapped together for him in S1 while he was away shooting Predators was great, but it's some how managed to even get better from there. He is the second main character on this show now, a complete anomaly of a man played like he was doing this all his life by Goggins. Seriously, fuck a Game of Thrones, give goggins all the emmy's.

I love Walton Goggins and I love Boyd Crowder, but I do have one gripe. I think his gratuitous murder of a dude whom he suspected of being a double agent in the pilot was arguably a misstep by the writers. Had they known Crowder would become a top-billed anti-hero (anti-villain?) character, I bet they would not have made him commit cold-blooded murder like that. It just takes away from his persona IMO, IE that of a deeply troubled, mentally disturbed man who is however good at heart.

But on the other hand, it's not like the writers are pretending like it didn't happen either. It was referenced in subsequent episodes during season 1. So I dunno. I'm conflicted about it to be honest. I keep changing my mind about it. I'm just hoping that murder comes back to haunt Boyd in the future, and maybe throws a wrench in his romance with Ava. His character doesn't deserve any kind of redemption until he answers for that murder, IMO. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of the character.

Sorry for the slightly rambling, stream-of-consciousness post.

charsace

I'll just say that the combo of the writing and the performances when Raylan and Boyd share a scene tickles me in a way no other show currently is.

Yes. The chemistry they have together goes a long way. You can feel the energy when Boyd and Raylan cross paths.

And the feeling of pure fucking violence that was an undercurrent when Quarles and Raylan were facing off had my heart beating really fast. You just know some crazy shit is going to happen.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Hey my Justified-GAF peeps!

I made this avatar for a buddy of mine who just got approved, but dude hasn't used it so might as well offer it to Justified-GAF.

jeEi4.jpg

Boyd with an M72 LAW from the Pilot episode.

Enjoy, whomever takes it ;)

Solo

I love Walton Goggins and I love Boyd Crowder, but I do have one gripe. I think his gratuitous murder of a dude whom he suspected of being a double agent in the pilot was arguably a misstep by the writers. Had they known Crowder would become a top-billed anti-hero (anti-villain?) character, I bet they would not have made him commit cold-blooded murder like that. It just takes away from his persona IMO, IE that of a deeply troubled, mentally disturbed man who is however good at heart.

But on the other hand, it's not like the writers are pretending like it didn't happen either. It was referenced in subsequent episodes during season 1. So I dunno. I'm conflicted about it to be honest. I keep changing my mind about it. I'm just hoping that murder comes back to haunt Boyd in the future, and maybe throws a wrench in his romance with Ava. His character doesn't deserve any kind of redemption until he answers for that murder, IMO. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of the character.

Without committing that act, his S2 arc wouldn't have been as powerful.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Brilliant episode! Loved the trailer scene. "this is that coversation" and "the next one is coming faster" :D

Timbuktu

I thought they covered that quite well this episode with that conversation in the bar. Boyd is a walking contradiction; you feel that he's in control, but people aren't really sure what to make of him. We don't really know if he is looking for redemption, Raylan is his equal and even he can't really tell what his agenda is. That's part of the character's charisma I think.

I thought they covered that quite well this episode with that conversation in the bar. Boyd is a walking contradiction; you feel that he's in control, but people aren't really sure what to make of him. We don't really know if he is looking for redemption, Raylan is his equal and even he can't really tell what his agenda is. That's part of the character's charisma I think.

You're right. That was a great scene in the bar.

I think I'm one of those people who "don't know what to make of him", which is probably why I questioned his actions and motivations. But god do I love the character and can't wait to see what he'll do or say every week.

Come on lol. This is a generally well-written TV show, you can't just assume they're writing off something like that with "bitches be crazy."

My post was somewhat humorous. But yeah, I see Winona's "it's okay" as her making a genuine effort to be understanding, but I don't buy it. I think it does bug her, and why wouldn't it? She's explained her position on this in the last season, and honestly it's totally understandable. She loves her man and doesn't want him dead, yet he's an over-confident marshall who routinely confronts bad guys by himself.

I like Winona, and I don't think she's unreasonable. It's just gonna be rough between her and Raylan because she won't be serene until he loses his dangerous job, which is not gonna happen unless the show gets cancelled lol

That scene in the season preview shown after the premiere with Raylon and Boyd together with tag team shotguns.........GOOD LORD. My head might 'asplode when that happens.

That was in one of the 2011 promos, and I suspect it'll never be a scene in the actual show, which is disappointing :(

Wiktor

not even close.. mad men and boardwalk empire

soon to be luck as well

Umm...all of those have pretty flat dialogies. You get maybe one or towo great lines for whole season. They have well written and realistic dialogues but with Justified you get so many little gems every single episode. The gap between it and Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men in dialogue writing is a huge rift.

Clevinger

Umm...all of those have pretty flat dialogies. You get maybe one or towo great lines for whole season. They have well written and realistic dialogues but with Justified you get so many little gems every single episode. The gap between it and Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men in dialogue writing is a huge rift.

Uh oh. You'd better run for the hills. You disparaged Mad Men
(praised be its name)

WHAT?! Seriously, I always thought the shooting scenes in Justified were very well done, I hope I'm not the only one who feels that.

I think the choreography is well done, from what I remember, but I remember sometimes the sound effects are really bad. Like, "I think they ripped that sound from an old video game" bad.

edit: sorry, that was over the top

but seriously

tumblr_lyr58yAYCf1r49ygqo1_500.gif

Borinot

WHAT?! Seriously, I always thought the shooting scenes in Justified were very well done, I hope I'm not the only one who feels that.

if i tell you the truth, its the first time in the series that i think the shooting scenes are poor, the previous seasons were good in that aspect. The shooting scene at the house in the second espisode of the actual season was awfull.

SpeedingUptoStop

I think the choreography is well done, from what I remember, but I remember sometimes the sound effects are really bad. Like, "I think they ripped that sound from an old video game" bad.

Yea, the only thing that's stood out lately is the headshot this week was rather eh, and then the first ep's misty throat shot.

Just got a chance to watch this weeks episode.

God damn, this show is good! Before season 3 started I didn't think that that it would be bad, but I did worry about how it would compare to season 2. So far I have to say that if it keeps this pace going it could be best season yet in my eyes.

I'm curious to see how Limehouse turns out as he is fleshed out more. All the other new characters this season (even the weekly guests) have been awesome though. Which brings me brings me to the excellent writing, especially the character dialog. You can tell just how important it is when you can take the actor who plays Quinn in Dexter and make him a compelling character in a single episode.

My last opinion on the show I want to point out is just how awesome Timothy Olyphant is as Raylan. I can not picture anyone one else in the role now. Reminds me of how Andy Whitfield just became Spartacus in Blood and Sand. The thing I love most about Olyphant's acting is how he is able to portray such a sense of "quiet rage", for lack of a better term. I always think about follow exchange from the very first episode.

RAYLAN: Yeah. (He nods and smiles ruefully.) But he pulled first, so I was justified. What troubles me is, what if he hadn’t? What if he’d just sat there, let the clock run out? Would I have killed him anyway? (He takes a sip of beer.) I know I wanted to. Guess I just never thought of myself as an angry man. (Winona shakes her head and smiles to herself.)

WINONA: Oh, Raylan. Well, you do a good job of hiding it, and I, I suppose most folks don’t see it, but honestly? You are the angriest man I have ever known.

I'll try and start posting a little more frequently in here as the season goes on.

Al-ibn Kermit

I was expecting him to be in couple of episodes. Kinda liked his character

Maybe next season. The show's writers said that he was not shot fatally, so that they could choose to bring him back in another season. For this season though, there's no plans for him to appear in any episodes.

- FX's Justified blog talks to: The Man Behind The Music
If you’ve watched Justified, you know the theme song. I’d even venture so far to guess that you’ve found yourself on a Tuesday night stompin’ that foot as the teaser rolls out and the bass kicks in.

Yes, you probably know the Justified theme song, but do you know the man behind the tune? Well, you should…

Just caught up on the first three episodes. Fucking Justified. Always so damned good. Likin' the new villain played by McDonough and the other guy, Limehouse. Both have a certain creepiness about them, but in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom