• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

"Give me a goddamn amen!" :lol

Probably the weakest episode so far, relatively speaking, but still a damned fine hour of television in absolute terms. Boyd playing judge, jury and then executioner for Devil was cold-blooded. Goddamn. I have a feeling poor Dewey is not long for this world either. The secondary characters are dropping like flies. I really loved the expression on Raylan's face when he was "forced" to run over the prison guard twice. Best scene in the episode, unsurprisingly, was Boyd and Raylan in the bar. The preview for next week looks fairly crazy.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
"Give me a goddamn amen!" :lol

Probably the weakest episode so far, relatively speaking, but still a damned fine hour of television in absolute terms. Boyd playing judge, jury and then executioner for Devil was cold-blooded. Goddamn. I have a feeling poor Dewey is not long for this world either. The secondary characters are dropping like flies. I really loved the expression on Raylan's face when he was "forced" to run over the prison guard twice. Best scene in the episode, unsurprisingly, was Boyd and Raylan in the bar. The preview for next week looks fairly crazy.

Agreed. Still love this show but outside a few great moments this season hasn't lived up to the top-tier TV standard I've come to expect. I have high hopes for the rest of it though.

Solo

Agreed. Still love this show but outside a few great moments this season hasn't lived up to the top-tier TV standard I've come to expect. I have high hopes for the rest of it though.

Woah, there buddy, we have a misunderstanding! I don't mean it's the weakest episode of the series. Just of the 4 so far this season. And as for this season, it's already better at this point than S1 or S2 were, which is to say that I think this will be the best season yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Woah, there buddy, we have a misunderstanding! I don't mean it's the weakest episode of the series. Just of the 4 so far this season. And as for this season, it's already better at this point than S1 or S2 were, which is to say that I think this will be the best season yet.

I didn't think that's what you meant although I understand how it came across that way. I thought this was the weakest of the season but I also think the beginning of this season hasn't been incredible, though it very well may be just because it's basking in the shade of Season 2.

By episode 4 of season 1 this show was definitely coming into its own. That was the dentist episode which I thought was great. I don't remember specifically where we were at this point last season but I personally don't remember any real weak points.

Solo

My mistake then. Anyways, I look at where S1 was 4 episodes deep, and S3 has nuked that to outer space. And I look at where S2 was 4 episodes deep, and S3 is ahead of that by a decidely slimmer margin, but ahead nonetheless.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm not sure what isn't meshing as well with me so far. Maybe it's the relative lack of Raylan so far compared to previous seasons? It could just be me but it seems like he's almost taken a back seat somewhat.

Solo

There has been less Raylan, for sure. But I think a) that was a necessary evil in order to do justice to the myriad of villains this year, and b) that we all know Raylan will become much more prominent in the ongoing events as time passes.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I surely hope so. I don't want my criticism to come across wrong, this is still seriously probably my 2nd favorite show of all time. If you ask my girlfriend she will tell you she's jealous of how in love with it I am.

18Fg8.jpg

Fry

Poor Devil. The last scene was brutal. Boyd made me feel like a little girl, he's back to his best.

The last scene was PERFECT, and made me continue to love Boyd Crowder as a morally ambiguous "anti-villain".

My favorite thing about the scene is that he did not seem to take any pleasure in killing Devil, in fact it seemed painful to him. When he asks Devil if he wants some help with the pain, there's a subtle tremor of sadness in Boyd's voice, and when he finishes off Devil, he closes his eyes because he doesn't want to see the horror of his friend's brains being blown out.

And I mean, it was barely murder because how can he let walk a man who is clearly intent on killing him. The thing with criminals is that they don't own fancy jails to put bloodthirsty traitors in. So Boyd had few choices to ensure his own safety.

Not saying Boyd is not a bad man, but he's not an evil man IMO. But yeah, I'm biased since I love the character and the performance so damn much.

I'm not sure what isn't meshing as well with me so far. Maybe it's the relative lack of Raylan so far compared to previous seasons? It could just be me but it seems like he's almost taken a back seat somewhat.

There has been less Raylan, for sure. But I think a) that was a necessary evil in order to do justice to the myriad of villains this year, and b) that we all know Raylan will become much more prominent in the ongoing events as time passes.

I actually LIKE that Raylan has taken a backseat. It's a very Batman style of storytelling. Everyone knows how badass Raylan is, but it's well developed villains that carry this stuff. It also makes it so whenever Raylan does something great like the table cloth pulling, or running someone over...repeatedly, it's more memorable.

I actually LIKE that Raylan has taken a backseat. It's a very Batman style of storytelling. Everyone knows how badass Raylan is, but it's well developed villains that carry this stuff. It also makes it so whenever Raylan does something great like the table cloth pulling, or running someone over...repeatedly, it's more memorable.

This, a million times this.

Bingo. I love Raylan's cool-as-fuck moments, but they'll start to become a predictable trope onto themselves if they use them too much.

This is a fantastic point

Christine

The last scene was PERFECT, and made me continue to love Boyd Crowder as a morally ambiguous "anti-villain".

My favorite thing about the scene is that he did not seem to take any pleasure in killing Devil, in fact it seemed painful to him. When he asks Devil if he wants some help with the pain, there's a subtle tremor of sadness in Boyd's voice, and when he finishes off Devil, he closes his eyes because he doesn't want to see the horror of his friend's brains being blown out.

We've never seen Boyd take pleasure in killing. He was a callous shit who'd shoot a man he didn't need to out of dislike and distrust, but it didn't seem like he took pleasure in the act. Besides, we know how Boyd gets his rocks off and that hasn't changed--he likes to get money and blow shit up.

And I mean, it was barely murder because how can he let walk a man who is clearly intent on killing him. The thing with criminals is that they don't own fancy jails to put bloodthirsty traitors in. So Boyd had few choices to ensure his own safety.

Shit, he gave Devil the chance to back down. He knew that Devil had already betrayed his trust and was intent on killing him, yet he offers Devil a chance to un-ring that bell. Letting Devil live, even if he "exiles" him from Harlan County, is an insanely risky proposition.

If Boyd were completely ruled by self-preservation, he would never have had that sit-down with Devil. Instead, he's willing to endanger his plans, his person, and his family for the sake of not killing a man if he can possibly avoid it. I don't even know that he's all that fond of Devil anymore.

Not saying Boyd is not a bad man, but he's not an evil man IMO. But yeah, I'm biased since I love the character and the performance so damn much.

He's a man that puts a high value on human life because of what he's seen and what he's done. Harlan County could do a lot worse than Boyd Crowder in filling the power vacuum left by Bo and Mags' passing. I do wonder, though, if he'll meet his end by failing to kill a man that he really should have killed.

Zeliard

What they're doing with Raylan is a bit similar (albeit to a lesser extent) to what David Simon did with McNulty in Season 4 of the Wire, relegating a main protagonist to supporting character because he was already well-established, and building up new and other recurring characters became more important to the story. Though Simon was definitely able to disappear McNulty a lot more easily since The Wire had a greater scope and a large ensemble cast to focus on.

ivysaur12

Banned

Exactly. And honestly, we need more of the great supporting cast that Justified has. Even if Rachel's exposition about her past was a bit forced in this past episode.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What they're doing with Raylan is a bit similar (albeit to a lesser extent) to what David Simon did with McNulty in Season 4 of the Wire, relegating a main protagonist to supporting character because he was already well-established, and building up new and other recurring characters became more important to the story. Though Simon was definitely able to disappear McNulty a lot more easily since The Wire had a greater scope and a large ensemble cast to focus on.
Well, actually, the actor who plays McNulty requested a smaller role that season since he wanted to spend more time with his daughters. Obviously Simon made it work towards his own goals though.

Zeliard

Well, actually, the actor who plays McNulty requested a smaller role that season since he wanted to spend more time with his daughters. Obviously Simon made it work towards his own goals though.

Interesting, didn't know that. Figured it was just a natural thing since the focus on that season was the kids in school. But yeah that just speaks to Simon and his staff's talent at being able to make it seem like it was always intended.

Gartikker

Do you think this is the show's future? I love that they are developing the supporting characters, but I don't agree that Raylan should remain in the backseat either. I'm not just asking for the so called cool as fuck moments, just more interaction with the rest of the cast. I guess I don't see him as one note as some people do.

Also what about the relationship between Boyd and Raylan, which to me is one of the most interesting parts of the show. If he's in the background so much, so in case they eventually do come to blows, I don't think it would have quite the same effect. But maybe that's just me.

Do you think this is the show's future? I love that they are developing the supporting characters, but I don't agree that Raylan should remain in the backseat either. I'm not just asking for the so called cool as fuck moments, just more interaction with the rest of the cast. I guess I don't see him as one note as some people do.

Also what about the relationship between Boyd and Raylan, which to me is one of the most interesting parts of the show. If he's in the background so much, so in case they eventually do come to blows, I don't think it would have quite the same effect. But maybe that's just me.

He's not being put in the backseat permanently, just to let the story cook a little before it all explodes. Also, it's not that I think Raylan is "one note" but giving the other characters lots of screen time only makes it a better show. We've had 2 seasons of Raylan, 4 episodes of him ALONGSIDE everyone else isn't so bad.

I thought PT Vince did a very good job in that role, so I was happy with how that worked out. Though it would be interesting to see Stonestreet in something other than Modern Family. I can't remember any of his other roles off the top of my head. In general, I like that they're using more unknown actors for the bit parts in Justified.

I thought PT Vince did a very good job in that role, so I was happy with how that worked out. Though it would be interesting to see Stonestreet in something other than Modern Family. I can't remember any of his other roles off the top of my head. In general, I like that they're using more unknown actors for the bit parts in Justified.

For sure. And Vance was fantastic. But I would have loved tying the universes together via wormholes and Cam's life on the farm.

Regarding that article; if Clooney and Olyphant were on this show together, my wife would probably just explode from hot guy overload.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't remember any of his other roles off the top of my head. In general, I like that they're using more unknown actors for the bit parts in Justified.

He guested on an episode of American Horror Story. He did as good a job as he could have, given the shitty material he had to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom