• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- “Harlan Roulette” – A Writer’s Recap
Sometimes bigger isn’t better. And, this week, Co-Executive Producer Dave Andron explains why.

In the first draft, the episode’s final showdown was about swat teams. It was about tactical surveillance. Hell, it was about the whole cavalry. Yet, somehow in the final cut, it became a face-off between just a few individuals with a lot to lose and little time to find salvation. And without the hustle and bustle distractions of Lexington’s finest swarming in the nearby bushes, you could really feel those stakes and get inside the minds of each character.

Sometimes you have to scale it back, so the heart of the story can be built up. Whether it’s a big, action scene or just a moment of desperation in the life of an addict, Justified knows it’s the humanity that counts.

This week I sat down for an interview with Dave Andron to discuss the humanity in his episode, “Harlan Roulette”, and how scaling it back can actually amplify the stakes when done right.

And, oh, was it done right!

Solo

"Next one's comin' faster"

Hot DAMN. I know we've all elevated (deservedly) S2 to sacred cow status around here, but I think S3 is already well on it's way to completely topping it. Might not have the emotional undercurrent that season had, but I'll be god damned if the expanding line-up of villains this season isn't the most entertaining thing in the show yet. Fogel was a fantastic villain of the week type. He really sold that good-natured-but-can-turn-sour-in-a-hearbeat vibe perfectly. It's too early to tell what Limehouse is all about. He seems to believe in some kind of an honor code with harsh consequences for failure to comply to it. And Quarles. Oh. My. God. Neal McDonough plays a sociopath insanely well. Such a delicious character. Raylan just finishes tuning the shit out of Wynn Duffy, and what does Quarles do? Not only does he egg him on, but when Raylan goes to take a picture of him, motherfucker smiles for the camera. Can't wait for the inevitable Quarles/Raylan showdown. And I'm really loving where Boyd's at right now. He accepts his past but is focused on the future.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I don't see Duffy or Dewey or Dickie ever dying. Just too excellent of mid level players to be wiped out. They're cockroaches.

TpGBM.gif

Batshit insane. I hope they never explain the dude tied up in that room.

It's the D-ie immunity, gotta have that -ie. Devil ain't safe!
That'll work!
More like dumbass immunity.
Ha ha. Though some of the low hanging fruit got picked off last night.

SpeedingUptoStop

The thing I love most about the scene is that there is still a silent tension with the guns. Raylan's a quick draw but Quarles has got the drop. You know nobody's gonna die in a scene like that, but after the scene where two guys already blasted each other in a standoff, the threat of some crazy shit going down lingers heavily.

Solo

The thing I love most about the scene is that there is still a silent tension with the guns. Raylan's a quick draw but Quarles has got the drop. You know nobody's gonna die in a scene like that, but after the scene where two guys already blasted each other in a standoff, the threat of some crazy shit going down lingers heavily.

I just loved how Quarles had no fear in jousting with Raylan.

"How fast do you think the bullets will be coming when they come back the opposite way?"

This show is smart enough not to.
Exactly. Last night felt a little disjointed to me because there were so many different plot lines and villains running around simultaneously, but the acting and writing for just about everything was excellent. Such a great set of scenes.

Zeliard

This show has possibly the best dialogue on television, even over Breaking Bad. Great all-around acting as well. Every character they introduce is fantastic.

Arment

Superb cast of villains this season. I love how he casually went into a story about christmas tree shopping when asked about the rails on his quick-draw.

The smile that never quite reaches the eyes - McDonough is working that cliche perfectly. Raylan's perturbed look at the end said it perfectly: there is something wrong with this guy. You wonder if his bosses in Detroit weren't just sending him to Harlan, but also sending him away from Detroit. Hell, even Duffy looked frightened when Quarles shot that "other door, buddy" at him - and I'm sure he remembers the fate of the secretary, Quarles's last close associate, vividly as well.

Zeliard

The smile that never quite reaches the eyes - McDonough is working that cliche perfectly. Raylan's perturbed look at the end said it perfectly: there is something wrong with this guy. You wonder if his bosses in Detroit weren't just sending him to Harlan, but also sending him away from Detroit. Hell, even Duffy looked frightened when Quarles shot that "other door, buddy" at him - and I'm sure he remembers the fate of the secretary, Quarles's last close associate, vividly as well.

Duffy has to feel like Quarles could just shoot him in the face at any moment, though that's certainly the intent.

Fantastic casting for Quarles. Neal McDonough is effortlessly good at playing a smarmy prick.

Why would I, when you yourself just said Justified was better?

/trollface

Justified is great but Breaking Bad is god-tier, along with Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood.

BFIB

Justified is on the cusp of Breaking Bad level, IMO.

It may not ever get there, but its a high praise no matter what.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Personally I enjoy Justified more than Breaking Bad, as amazing as the latter show is. There's an argument to be made about the objective quality comparison (though I still think Justified's writing is about as good as it gets outside of The Wire), but it's definitely my favorite show currently airing by far.

SpeedingUptoStop

There may be more nuance to Breaking Bad, Justified just feels more real and grounded. Breaking Bad is more action movie / Black Comedy where as justified falls under Dramedy. It just feels a little more natural and consistent by me in tone, but always surprising. It's hard to explain at the moment since I don't consider Breaking Bad not one of the greatest things on TV, but Justified is just the best thing out there right now, for me.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm not sure why one would rate Mad Men's writing higher than Justified's. I'm not sure why you would even compare two shows that are so different.

Solo

Thiefed!

I'm not sure why one would rate Mad Men's writing higher than Justified's.

Exactly. They are both top flight at what they are striving for. The world both exist in and the tone they shoot for couldn't possibly be more different, but both deliver impeccably on their respective goals. Matt Weiner couldn't make Justifed any better than it is, to put it another way.

I'm not sure why one would rate Mad Men's writing higher than Justified's.

it's pretty easy when you've seen both shows

i mean this show has its own goofy charm "me and dead owls dont give a hoot" herp a derp

but nothing has really struck me as "wow this is great writing"

Fry

Solo, give BB a try. I'm surprised you don't watch it, if there's something in your life you feel it's missing, it's probably Breaking Bad!

Solo

I'll just say that the combo of the writing and the performances when Raylan and Boyd share a scene tickles me in a way no other show currently is.

SpeedingUptoStop

I can't see any other show on TV even creating a character like Boyd. It's a happy accident he survived episode 1 and what they slapped together for him in S1 while he was away shooting Predators was great, but it's some how managed to even get better from there. He is the second main character on this show now, a complete anomaly of a man played like he was doing this all his life by Goggins. Seriously, fuck a Game of Thrones, give goggins all the emmy's.

Fry

Boyd's character/Goggins is an awesome combination. I'm still waiting for a scene where he kills someone gracefully showing how crazy he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom