• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're damn right they set that up. What people forget is that the majority of the viewing public doesn't keep track of things in the way we do. I don't watch Dexter, but with the 'big twist' in the latest season there was a clear divide between my internet-savvy friends who comment on AV Club, etc. and guessed the twist after the first episode, and my less savvy friends who watch the show more casually and were actually a little bit surprised (and these people aren't idiots, either).

Ripclawe

Banned
Man lesson of the week from quarles...

When someone says thats far enough when you are walking towards them... Walk a couple of steps more to make them realize who is dictating the meeting.

Badass

Eqjfm.gif

justified_duffy_blondvvuss.gif

justified_quarles_shoo1ue8.gif

2EZpO.gif

They planted a weapon in his truck or took one out of it to use it as a murder weapon to frame Raylan?
They tried to plant the gun used to kill Gary (with the bullet Raylan threw at Duffy) in the back of Raylan's car, but the bar owner surprised them while they were breaking in, so they then took the gun over to Winona's house and planted it there.

They tried to plant the gun used to kill Gary (with the bullet Raylan threw at Duffy) in the back of Raylan's car, but the bar owner surprised them while they were breaking in, so they then took the gun over to Winona's house and planted it there.

And now Raylan is just holding a murder weapon, which might not be the best strategy.

He should have planted it in the eyebrows, no one would have known.

And now Raylan is just holding a murder weapon, which might not be the best strategy.

He should have planted it in the eyebrows, no one would have known.
Good point. Not sure why he's hanging on to it, but it will certainly come up later this season.

A few more useful gifs:

fQDoH.gif

0a6sY.gif

8vwIT.gif

dboEz.gif

Good point. Not sure why he's hanging on to it, but it will certainly come up later this season.

They have a lot of things in the air right now that are just going to come crashing back down.

Mag's actual bank account.
Quarles' high maintenance sleeve gun and taking drugs (really hope that's not what they do)
Quarles love for male prostitutes
Murder weapon

and of course, the ever increasing likelihood that Duffy's eyebrows are the actual brains behind this criminal organization.

They have a lot of things in the air right now that are just going to come crashing back down.

Mag's actual bank account.
Quarles' high maintenance sleeve gun and taking drugs (really hope that's not what they do)
Quarles love for male prostitutes
Murder weapon

and of course, the ever increasing likelihood that Duffy's eyebrows are the actual brains behind this criminal organization.

I don't think he's the brains. I think he's just biding his time.

Uh, Game of Thrones / Mad Men?

Haven't seen Game of Thrones (not really my genre) and - to make myself very unpopular here - I don't really enjoy Mad Men. Not saying it's a bad show, it's just not for me. I can handle slow and methodical, and I love everything about the acting, set design and dialogue on the show, but the finished product - to me - is less than the sum of its parts.

It has already been mentioned multiple times in the show. I'm going to guess he forgets to oil the sliding mechanism of the gun because of stress/drugs.

Yeah, there's no way it doesn't jam by the end of the season. It's been mentioned too many times for it to be otherwise. I basically consider it Chekhov's sliding gun at this point.

Solo

"Deputy, are you accusing me of being a fake blonde?" :lol

Good lord, that was perhaps the funniest episode of the entire series. Between Gutterson fucking with Raylen, Gutterson and Art fucking with the FBI and the Lexington PD, the Lexington PD officer thinking Raylen throwing a bullet at Quarles was awesome, Art stopping short of saying to the Lexington PD just exactly why they have up to date ballistics on Raylen (because he shoots so many goddamn people, lolz), I was in stitches throughout. To balance out the excellent comedy, I love the noose being pulled tight around both Raylen and Boyd's necks. With both of them being framed, perhaps its only logical to think we are in store for another epic team-up between the two. Just a fucking stellar episode all around!

Not sure what to think about Quarles taking that pill. It almost looked like it was the first time, the way he took it out, rolled it around his fingers, and then his face afterward seemed to suggest a reaction he didn't expect. Then again, the bottle was half full, so I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know. He could be taking a legitimate prescription (something that allows him to keep his rage in check?), or he could be an addict (which could be fulfilling the same function, come to think of it). That was a great scene, in any case. The radio evangelist in the background was a brilliant touch.

I don't think he's the brains. I think he's just biding his time.

I haven't noticed anything to suggest he's scheming against Quarles. But Duffy for sure knows that Quarles is unpredictable and occasionally can't keep his anger under control. Quarles is very sharp, but that extra, pathological dysfunction could make him a liability. If the boss loses his shit at the wrong moment, he could ruin everything and end up taking everyone else down with him.

Raylan knows Duffy is smart enough not to fully trust a guy he is working for (even if there's no way Raylan could know the depths of Quarles' sickness at this point), and that's why he tried pushing Duffy's buttons about it during their conversation.

Man, I hope they didn't just set up Quarles' gun jamming at some climatic moment in the future.

They've made it so obvious that I'm thinking it might be a red herring. Watch the season end with Duffy killing Quarles instead, or something unexpected like that.

I would prefer the season end with Quarles alive, but I just can't see it happening :/

End in mid-April, then there's a gap before Breaking Bad in July, and season 2 of Homeland should begin before that even ends. Just need some quality April-July television!

Have you checked out HBO's Luck? It's one of the best things on TV right now.

aku:jiki

Quarles is a druggie too? oh lord.
I got the impression that the show was saying that he's not, and he's a desperate(ly angry) man right now. Didn't really buy it and thought it was the low point of the otherwise fucking fantastic episode.

Winona leaving and next episode
is that Raylan kissing Eva
pls no. Not back to her
What? Hell no. I like
Eva and Boyd

Gutterson <3
Dude needs to be more than just comic relief. What happened to the parts from season 1 where the entire crew would suit up and join Raylan sometimes? We need more of Gutterson sniping fools in the face.

Zeliard

Hilarious episode.

Art stopping short of saying to the Lexington PD just exactly why they have up to date ballistics on Raylen (because he shoots so many goddamn people, lolz)

Haha the actor's delivery was fantastic there.

"Well his ballistics are all on file from previous, uh... they're on file."

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't think the pills were anti-psychotics, they may actually be oxy. He did seem out of it and too relaxed when he took those extra couple steps towards Limehouse. But then he's a sociopath so who knows?

I'm wondering who Quarles wants Tanner to kill by "shooting them in the face in a crowded room"? This may be that carrot-stick type scenario the sheriff was wondering about. If so, I could see Shelby (the deputy competing for the sheriff position) as not lasting past this season.

The last couple episodes have been kind of a slow burn but in the next five episodes, a lot can happen before the season ends. In one episode, they introduced and swept aside an attempt to frame Raylen for murder so you know there's going to be something big they're building up to now that they've Quarles untethered to any boss.

End in mid-April, then there's a gap before Breaking Bad in July, and season 2 of Homeland should begin before that even ends. Just need some quality April-July television!

If you have Showtime, The Borgias is one of my favorite new shows and it's second season begins in April. It's an amazing window into the combination of religion and politics with a constant undercurrent of backstabbing and paranoia and lust (yes, sex) and all that good stuff going on in the Vatican during the Renaissance era.

The first episode will tell you if it's the right type of show for you.

vesp

The fact that he bit the pill pretty much explicitly states that it was oxy. Noone cracks the seal on a nonrecreational drug.

Al-ibn Kermit

I used to break amoxicillin in half when I had to take it when I was little. But no, I'm going to assume it was oxycontin until they say otherwise.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I thought Oxy as well.

Loved how they related the radio sermon to what he was doing.

The fact that he bit the pill pretty much explicitly states that it was oxy. Noone cracks the seal on a nonrecreational drug.

I have learned a new phrase today. And even more, a better method to ingest prescription drugs recreationally!

CrunchyB

It has already been mentioned multiple times in the show. I'm going to guess he forgets to oil the sliding mechanism of the gun because of stress/drugs.

Isn't the point of Quarles' sliding mechanism that it would enable him to get the drop on Raylan?
I don't see Raylan winning this by sheer luck, he'll probably think of something clever as with the icepick killer.

Al-ibn Kermit

Neal McDonough interview with some thoughts on his character and plenty of spoilers for the rest of the season.

- ‘Justified’ Villain Backs The Winning Side *SPOILERS*

Please spoiler tag any discussion. Thanks.
From the article:

“He’s a lot like me in a lot of ways: a businessman, but family first,” McDonough said of his character. “But Quarles gets addicted not just to the rush of power, but worse, to OxyContin. We all know how bad that gets when you’re hooked on junk like that.”

Just how bad will Quarles’ addiction get? The actor teased, “The only thing I’ve asked of ['Justified' executive producer and show-runner] Graham Yost is that by episode 10 or 11, I’d like to be naked and hopped up on my own stuff. He goes, ‘Already thought of that, trust me!’ “

This season will be awesome. Also.....

It confirms that the pill was oxy, case closed. And it's kinda odd that the guy will run around naked but not do a sex scene.

- &#8220;Watching the Detectives&#8221;: Writer&#8217;s Recap
I can&#8217;t say enough about Graham Yost. He is a master artist with the yellow pad as his canvas. He is the fearless leader to seasons of literary sailors, old and new. He is the world&#8217;s best boss. And, yes, he is looking over my shoulder as I type.

But, in all seriousness, Graham is a guy who loves TV and, more so, sharing his knowledge with those eager to listen. So when I sat down with Graham for this week&#8217;s Writer&#8217;s Recap video, I wasn&#8217;t really surprised by how much I learned. And the topics were extraordinary: we covered TV death etiquette, season expectations, and using music to tell a story. And that&#8217;s just the tip of this proverbial iceberg. So sit back and get ready for a little education, &#8216;cause this week Graham Yost talks about his episode, &#8220;Watching the Detectives&#8221; and a whole lot more.
Video via the link.

And it's kinda odd that the guy will run around naked but not do a sex scene.

I admit I completely misread his position on this. It had to be pointed out to me that he's not protesting that the actions of his character are contrary to his religious beliefs, but that he's a married man and he doesn't even want to pretend to be with/touch/kiss/etc. another woman.

Yager

Banned
Finally watched last ep today. That was pretty amazing, maybe the best of the season and, for me, in the top 5 of the entire show. I know it's been already said, but I can't stop thinking how awesome was the Raylan-Duffy scene.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I admit I completely misread his position on this. It had to be pointed out to me that he's not protesting that the actions of his character are contrary to his religious beliefs, but that he's a married man and he doesn't even want to pretend to be with/touch/kiss/etc. another woman.

Yeah, I'm sure it presents some problems as an actor, but you gotta give him props for having that principle and sticking to it.

Al-ibn Kermit

Well that makes some sense.

ivysaur12

Banned
Finally got a chance to watch last week's. An incredible episode (one of the series's best) marred only by an awkward and ill-fitting soundtrack.

I thought Oxy as well.

Loved how they related the radio sermon to what he was doing.

Yeah, that scene was great. Loved the music and the sermon and McDonough's face as he's driving. Very good scene.

Another great episode though. Quarles' plan leaves him getting hit by both the LPD and FBI, though I wonder how Raylan will wiggle out of it. Plus, that AUSA is back, still looking to take him down.

I kinda hope Quarles survives this season. He's a good villain, though with Detroit washing their hands of him and him taking the Oxy, it's gonna begin his downward spiral and end in...

Well, how Raylan usually ends up taking down the villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom