• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we start taking bets on who is going to bite the dust this season?

My guess would have to be Limehouse and Sammy Tonin.

I think Quarles will definitely live but be dispatched in one way or another; Limehouse might survive as an ally for Boyd in future seasons, but will probably die. Arlo probably has one more season left in him. Sammy Tonin either dies tonight or lives until next season. Adam Arkin's character presumably lives too.

EDIT: 5 predictions here. I could easily get 0 for 5, which would be depressing to say the least :D

Fry

The thing I hate about TV shows nowadays. The villain always makes the first appearance in the first episode of the season, and dies in the last one. There should be more creativity in the process.

The thing I hate about TV shows nowadays. The villain always makes the first appearance in the first episode of the season, and dies in the last one. There should be more creativity in the process.

True. It's too predictable; the producers, director and writers have to shake things up on their part.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I swear one of these days I'll watch live. For now I'm 2 episodes behind (3 tonight) and have to get up at 5.30 tomorrow, so I gotta get to bed.

Tokubetsu

They need to figure out a way to make Duffy a big bad in some later season. Has to happen. When it happens, they need to call back to that pony line too. It'd be worth it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Duffy taking down Qualres and setting up something for himself would be an acceptable angle by me. Even though weak Duffy is incredible, Duffy is hunting wolf mode is even incredible-r. His first scene in Winona's kitchen is still so memorably creepy.

Eyebrows.

Really great episode. The pressure was coming from all sides. The questioning regard Raylan throwing the bullet, the Raylan/Duffy conversation towards the end....so good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a fantastic episode. Tim and Art (and every other character on this show, really) are so fucking awesome. It really makes me wish they would get larger story lines. Too bad Rachel didn't make it in this week.

"Are you accusing me of being a fake blonde?" lol

I know it's been said again and again, but the dialog on this show really is incredible. Every. Single. Line.

I wasn't really surprised when Quarles killed Gary, but it was still pretty shocking. Does that make sense? He was an asshole, but one that you felt sorry for; maybe even liked. Bye Gary. :/

Tokubetsu

What a fantastic episode. Tim and Art (and every other character on this show, really) are so fucking awesome. It really makes me wish they would get larger story lines. Too bad Rachel didn't make it in this week.

I know it's been said again and again, but the dialog on this show really is incredible. Every. Single. Line.

I wasn't really surprised when Quarles killed Gary, but it was still pretty shocking. Does that make sense? He was an asshole, but one that you felt sorry for; maybe even liked. Bye Gary. :/

When you're as stupid, and naive as Gary, it always ends with a bullet.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*

Totally. Gary made himself expendable, but he was still a dumb goofball. He had it coming, but you never really wanted to see it happen for real.

really great and intense episode. I know Raylan is not going to prison but still that was intense

Winona leaving and next episode
is that Raylan kissing Eva
pls no. Not back to her

looks like Quarles is not long for this world

God damn. The writers on this show are so consistently on their game that it's astonishing. Listening to the characters speak to one another is a pleasure. ("Deputy, are you accusing me of being a fake blond?" "I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters.") They even had a little call-back to Winona and Raylan's talk at the end of the show's first episode. And they didn't underline it for the stupid audience like most shows would do. Justified is almost too good for this world.

Love the little moments of characterization for Quarles, which, again, most shows wouldn't bother with at this point, after having made him sufficiently terrifying a villain. Makes you wonder what sort of medication he's taking... and if sometimes not taking that medication explains how he could be both a loving father and an inhuman monster. (That scene was really well-composed, too. Who directed this week?)

Possibly working Duffy against Quarles is a very smart move, and it's totally believable for the character. We know Duffy doesn't have a problem taking orders, but they've gradually been giving Duffy reasons to distrust his new boss. Gotta love the little details the show allows you to pick up or miss, like Duffy stripping the wallpaper off of the wall as Raylan comes in, not simply repainting.

They also seem to be setting something up with Quarles' self-constructed pistol slide... I expect it will jam on him at an inopportune moment, which means that won't happen. The writers are better than that.

EDIT: And circumstances are putting Raylan and Boyd on the same side once again. The very idea makes me giddy.

I wish it hadn't been totally spoiled by last weeks preview. I didn't like Gary at all, and I won't miss him, but he was so damn pathetic that you had to feel sorry for him. I mean, doing that real estate scam shit, and doing it under an assumed name? So sad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wish it hadn't been totally spoiled by last weeks preview. I didn't like Gary at all, and I won't miss him, but he was so damn pathetic that you had to feel sorry for him. I mean, doing that real estate scam shit, and doing it under an assumed name? So sad.

What did they show in the preview exactly? (last weeks)

Quarles is a druggie too? oh lord.

I really like how the "next one is coming faster" worked it's way into the detectives interviewing Raylan. It most certainly is an odd action and situation to explain, considering the circumstances. It was actually a smart ploy by Quarles and Duffy. My only issue would be the placement of the gun. Does the placement of the gun really incriminate Raylan or does that fall on Winona?

And storing your spare key by the gas cap is off the table for everyone that watches this show.

Odd and ends:

- I love Tim. And we don't know anything about him! His actor is just that good. I want him to get his own episode like Rachel did.

- Great little scene with Judge Reardon that totally didn't have to be there but was totally worthwhile.

- Could Stephen Tobolowsky (the FBI agent) play a character who isn't a sniveling little prick? I can't think of a time I've seen him in a show or movie when hasn't. But he's so good at it.

What did they show in the preview exactly? (last weeks)

They showed a guy with Gary's hair color and general build under a sheet at a crime scene. It was obvious what would happen because of how last week's episode ended.

I wish I had gotten the full effect that you did :/ But complaining about that is like... bitching about the color of the shutters on a free mansion, heh.

I really like how the "next one is coming faster" worked it's way into the detectives interviewing Raylan. It most certainly is an odd action and situation to explain, considering the circumstances. It was actually a smart ploy by Quarles and Duffy. My only issue would be the placement of the gun. Does the placement of the gun really incriminate Raylan or does that fall on Winona?

Good point. I thought that was a little strange. Would a U.S. Marshall ditch a murder weapon in the abandoned house where he just shot someone in the front yard?

EDIT: And uh, didn't Quarles shoot Gary and then take the gun with him into the car before they drove off? Why do that only to come back and plant the evidence? To make it look like Raylan or Winona was actively moving evidence around?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And storing your spare key by the gas cap is off the table for everyone that watches this show.

I was thinking the same thing!

They showed a guy with Gary's hair color and general build under a sheet at a crime scene. It was obvious what would happen because of how last week's episode ended.

Ah. :/ That sucks. I stopped watching previews a few years ago because I got sick of that kind of bullshit.

Tokubetsu

Another little bit of detail I was talking to Speeding about today, was how the Michigan Boss' son's suit doesn't fit him well...at all. Just a nice little touch to show that he only runs things because of blood, not because he knows what he's doing. He's as big a goofball as Gary was.

Jubs

EDIT: And uh, didn't Quarles shoot Gary and then take the gun with him into the car before they drove off? Why do that only to come back and plant the evidence? To make it look like Raylan or Winona was actively moving evidence around?

They were going to plant the gun in the trunk of Raylan's car, but they didn't get to because the owner of the bar where Raylan is staying interrupted them. Hence the scratches around the keyhole of his trunk. Planting the gun at the house was probably the fall back plan.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Awesome episode!!

Wish i can catch this live with yall, but being from the best coast aka the west coast, it pains me to see this thread keep getting bumped 3hrs before my showtime. Plus sometimes l DVR the show and watch it late at night when the house is quiet, and spend some quality time unwinding, giving my full attention to the show since it deserves it.

Now to the episode, loved how all this crap was just piling on Raylan, and how you can tell these outsiders don't know who he is. Dug that kinda long take on Winona once Raylan broke the news about Gary, whom imo had it coming. A lot of crazy stuff happened in this episode, but i wonder; Quarles is a smart guy, leaving the murder weapon at the house like that for Winona to find felt like a rookie mistake, but im sure something is in store about that detail. Also the chemistry between Tim, Art, and Raylan is sooooo goooood. Ah man this show :)))

In a way, this season seems a lot more patient in building to the climax. It's a lot more manipulation and a chess match between the parties involved. All i know is that i dig it, and that climax will be oh so worth it i hope.

edit- Read some comments about the planted murder weapon, let's see what unfolds in the upcoming episodes. Oh yeah forgot to mention that Duffy and Raylan together are also great. Loved how Raylan called Duffy on being neutered which prompted him to get back to the old Wynn Duffy from past seasons. So many small details in this episode from the Duffy woman's tennis to the key marks on Raylan's trunk suggesting something is up , it really rewards its fans.

They were going to plant the gun in the trunk of Raylan's car, but they didn't get to because the owner of the bar where Raylan is staying interrupted them. Hence the scratches around the keyhole of his trunk. Planting the gun at the house was probably the fall back plan.

Oh, duh. You're right, that's the only explanation that makes sense. I don't know how I missed that. Otherwise, the guy messing with Raylan's car has no purpose.

Now to the episode, loved how all this crap was just piling on Raylan, and how you can tell these outsiders don't know who he is. Dug that kinda long take on Winona once Raylan broke the news about Gary, whom imo had it coming. A lot of crazy stuff happened in this episode, but i wonder; Quarles is a smart guy, leaving the murder weapon at the house like that for Winona to find felt like a rookie mistake, but im sure something is in store about that detail. Also the chemistry between Tim, Art, and Raylan is sooooo goooood. Ah man this show :)))

Yes, great acting by Natalie Zea. She sold what I thought might be a challenging scene: she was married to the guy and obviously loved him, but she had also discovered his hidden side and had gotten rid of him. All the resulting, conflicting emotions were evident on her face.

Wiktor

For all the trouble tossing that bullet has caused Raylan, being able to say that line was still worth it :D

- EW.com: 'Justified' EP Graham Yost dissects 'Watching the Detectives' in weekly postmortem *some minor spoilers*

Q: I loved when the Lexington PD detective said that Raylan’s bullet line to Duffy in 303 was one of the coolest things he’d ever heard.

A: That was improv’d by him on the day.

Q: Speaking of Tim, his line “I mean, she’s older for a Victoria’s Secret girl, but that’s how you know she knows what she’s doing.” Was that in the script?

A: That was just improvised on set.

Amazingly great episode. It's really going to suck once this season is over. It's the highlight of my television viewing pretty much every week.

Plissken

Good god, it's almost unbelievable that this show manages to keep up the quality every single week, I love it! Raylan and Duffy's little verbal showdown was the highlight for me, but I also dug the detective giving Raylan props for the bullet line. Gutterson is getting more fun every episode; "How did you track down Gary?" "Cause I'm good at my job?". Where did Rachel disappear to? Haven't seen her in what, 3-4 episodes now?

Not sure what to think about Quarles taking that pill. It almost looked like it was the first time, the way he took it out, rolled it around his fingers, and then his face afterward seemed to suggest a reaction he didn't expect. Then again, the bottle was half full, so I don't know.

Amazingly great episode. It's really going to suck once this season is over. It's the highlight of my television viewing pretty much every week.

End in mid-April, then there's a gap before Breaking Bad in July, and season 2 of Homeland should begin before that even ends. Just need some quality April-July television!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom