• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Arts chuckle at Raylan's "it doesn't go very well" in regards to his history of testimonies. :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I don't think we give this episode enough credit for how many people DIDN'T GET SHOT despite impossible odds. Holy shit.

"The next time you tell me you're bad at something, I'm going to believe you." Ha!

Great episode. Horrible reveal about Quarels's past :( And once again, fuck the previews for showing as much as they did. Ugh...

I love that Raylan is only on Quarles's bad side because of a misunderstanding Raylan can't seem to explain his way out of. Things are being positioned quite expertly for a badass, complicated finale.

Raylan's new woman is mighty fine, too!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Neil McDonough was magnificent tonight. Quarles' tragic upbringing explains a lot.

Oh yeah and Madam Ava is such a boss. Getting her girls to give out handjobs to everyone that votes is an amazing idea.

And once again, fuck the previews for shows as much as they did. Ugh...

You gotta stop watching those mang.

Wynn's eyebrows stole the show tonight. Well not really, but you get what I mean.

I wasn't expecting such direct insight into Quarles backstory, but they delivered. Neal pulled it off tonight. All the screws came loose tonight. Sucking down Oxy like it's skittles, snorting it in crushed form and taking LJ from Prison Break, (I forgot his name on True Blood) as his new rent boy. The comeuppance will be glorious for him.

Albino Deer is such an amazing line. These writers come up with great stuff week in and week out.

Jubs

It's only been one episode, but Raylan's new GF is tons better than Winona. Hope she sticks around.

Quarles is scary as fuck. You could feel his rage seeping through the television screen when he was folding that map in the sheriff's office.

- 'Justified' EP Graham Yost dissects 'Guy Walks Into a Bar' in weekly postmortem *spoilers for the rest of the season*
- LA Times: 'Justified' recap: The origin story of Quarles

6lQAS.gif
jIQ93.gif

4ycmg.gif
0VN22.gif

5vKnN.gif

- Production Blog: “Guy Walks Into A Bar” – Writer’s Recap
Season one of Justified: VJ Boyd was the show’s writers’ PA. He was a bright-eyed, hard-working assistant who barista-ed the coffee, corralled the lunches, and smiled through it all. Well last night, his first episode aired. VJ has done what many only dream of: going from assistant to staff writer in the span of one season.

When Graham Yost first read VJ’s spec pilot (Note: a spec is a script written as a writing sample… aka, without pay or promise), he was impressed by VJ’s sense of humor. When you read script submissions for Justified, you come across a lot of cop genre specs and the writing tends to be bogged down by the conventions of the genre. The writing can get a little grim. But for Yost, VJ’s writing was more than just a bunch of cops yelling cop-like things at one another; VJ’s characters were smart, engaging.

So VJ paid his dues as an assistant and, last night, he reaped the benefits as his episode, “Guy Walks Into A Bar”, opened with: Written by VJ Boyd. Everyone likes when the good guy wins in the end and VJ is your quintessential good guy. So from all of us at Justified, we’d like to congratulate VJ on his episode and all of his hard work!

If you’d like to hear a few more details about VJ’s road to becoming a writer, check out this week’s Writer’s Recap video.
Video via the link.

Lonestar

So love that Jeremy Davies gets to be this role. In most of the things he's done, he's that strange, weird dude with not alot of "charm" or personality (Saving Private Ryan, Lost, Rescue Dawn).

As Dickie, he's still strange and weird, but he's got this laughable quality to him.

Wait, last night's episode was a "Written by" first timer? Wow. Good work, Dude.

Maaaaaaan there were a lot of great scenes in the last episode. Quarles/Boyd, Quarles daddy issues, Quarles/Raylan, Raylan in court, Limehouse's pig slaughter facts. Brilliant, all of it.

Fry

What an amazing episode. I want to see shit hitting the fan soon, and Boyd and Raylan working together, killing people.

So love that Jeremy Davies gets to be this role. In most of the things he's done, he's that strange, weird dude with not alot of "charm" or personality (Saving Private Ryan, Lost, Rescue Dawn).

As Dickie, he's still strange and weird, but he's got this laughable quality to him.
Yeah, he's great in this as the quirky weirdo here. I'm glad they take the time to efficiently build the villains on this show (there's a long list of well painted, low screen-time bad guys) and Dickie's been a great character that's lasted longer than most. I just hope that at some point they invest the time in Tim and Rachel. It seems like every season they talk about giving them more screen time but it never happens.

Lonestar

Yeah, he's great in this as the quirky weirdo here. I'm glad they take the time to efficiently build the villains on this show (there's a long list of well painted, low screen-time bad guys) and Dickie's been a great character that's lasted longer than most. I just hope that at some point they invest the time in Tim and Rachel. It seems like every season they talk about giving them more screen time but it never happens.

It's like he's a cross between dewie and Wayne Messier, but with an extra dark side.

Question is, who will live and who will die, on the villain side?
Quarles
Duffy
Dickie
Boyd
Limehouse

Quarles being that "really bad" guy, gotta figure he won't make it. Know Boyd will make it. The rest are in that middle ground. I could see the rest making it, but could see them biting it.

Oh man, McDonough owned this episode, going from seething to pathetic to heartbreaking to horrifying. Amazing stuff. Like Raylan's new girl. Raylan's bit on the stand was hilarious. David is just like... 'I don't even give a shit anymore'. Ha, all the hookers just going around giving blow jobs to everyone before Emma Mae kisses Shelby.

Also, Quarles' misdirection! His hand hovers by his hip, while we know the gun on the rail might come out. That was clever.

Quick question: what do all of you think Quarles meant when he said he has nowhere to go if he had to leave the city? Has his marriage gone down the tubes totally between this week and last week's episode, or did he mean something else?

You gotta stop watching those mang.

I know it. I keep forgetting that, apparently, someone not involved with the show is cutting them :/

()And by the end, I'm always craving more Justified. It's hard to say no to a preview.)

Question is, who will live and who will die, on the villain side?
Quarles
Duffy
Dickie
Boyd
Limehouse

Quarles being that "really bad" guy, gotta figure he won't make it. Know Boyd will make it. The rest are in that middle ground. I could see the rest making it, but could see them biting it.

Boyd is as essential to Justified as Raylan, I think, so I doubt he'll die. I really hope he won't. This is one time I am actually okay with a character being bulletproof (in a sense, heh) because The Script Says So.

I can't see Limehouse dying. If he does, they writers will be making a big mistake IMO. Limehouse is ambiguous enough as a character that he could be around playing all sides for a long, long time. (Of course, I don't know how long the actor wants to devote to the show.)

I want Dickie to stick around, too. I fucking hate him of course, but I like that not all of the Bennetts were taken care of in season 2, and he's a good villain. Not to mention he's a different kind of villain than the others. Dickie's got no power and almost no outside support, just his wits. And he's a very smart, weasely guy.

Ditto on Duffy. He's a creepy piece of shit, but he's interesting. Too interesting a character to have written off the show before he's really shown what he can do. He's been involved with mostly small-time stuff (on his own) so far, and he's playing a support role this season. He's capable of more, and the character deserves it.

But Quarles... yeah, I think he'll get his. Especially since he threw down the gauntlet like he did in this episode. It's a shame. He's a great character with a great actor.

Azar

Quick question: what do all of you think Quarles meant
Pretty sure the mob disowned him because he couldn't get the Kentucky operation running smoothly. Going back to Detroit would at best be giving up what few criminal assets he has left, and at worst getting offed by the mob for returning to their turf.

Tokubetsu

Quick question: what do all of you think Quarles meant when he said he has nowhere to go if he had to leave the city? Has his marriage gone down the tubes totally between this week and last week's episode, or did he mean something else?

I know it. I keep forgetting that, apparently, someone not involved with the show is cutting them :/

()And by the end, I'm always craving more Justified. It's hard to say no to a preview.)

Boyd is as essential to Justified as Raylan, I think, so I doubt he'll die. I really hope he won't. This is one time I am actually okay with a character being bulletproof (in a sense, heh) because The Script Says So.

I can't see Limehouse dying. If he does, they writers will be making a big mistake IMO. Limehouse is ambiguous enough as a character that he could be around playing all sides for a long, long time. (Of course, I don't know how long the actor wants to devote to the show.)

I want Dickie to stick around, too. I fucking hate him of course, but I like that not all of the Bennetts were taken care of in season 2, and he's a good villain. Not to mention he's a different kind of villain than the others. Dickie's got no power and almost no outside support, just his wits. And he's a very smart, weasely guy.

Ditto on Duffy. He's a creepy piece of shit, but he's interesting. Too interesting a character to have written off the show before he's really shown what he can do. He's been involved with mostly small-time stuff (on his own) so far, and he's playing a support role this season. He's capable of more, and the character deserves it.

But Quarles... yeah, I think he'll get his. Especially since he threw down the gauntlet like he did in this episode. It's a shame. He's a great character with a great actor.

I definitely think they're setting up Limehouse as a bigger villain for the next season, or like you said, just going to keep him as sort of "bad" neutral to everyone else.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been so damn excited for Neal McDonough being in this show since this season started and his presence is REALLY starting to pay off.

BFIB

just watched the first season

so gud

You might want to avoid this thread for spoilers, FYI. The great thing about this show is how it all builds together, so even events from season 1 are mentioned here and there.

AngryMoth

Ok so I'm currently marathoning this show (about half way through season 2), so I'm trying to remain spoiler free, but I just had to come into this thread to express my sheer rage at the character of Gary. I'm watching season 2 episode 7 right now and it starts out with him going to see Mr. Duffy and trying to get him to invest in a racehorse. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?! A lot of characters on the walking dead have been doing dumb stuff recently, but this really takes the biscuit. I'd put him up for stupidest character in television history. I mean seriously, I just wanted to punch him in the face as soon as I saw what he was doing.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the show. Thought the first season was excellent, the second season is a bit of a slow burn so far but still very entertaining.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Catched up. Amazing episode. And this gif...

4ycmg.gif

...is going to get so much use around here.

Ok so I'm currently marathoning this show (about half way through season 2), so I'm trying to remain spoiler free, but I just had to come into this thread to express my sheer rage at the character of Gary. I'm watching season 2 episode 7 right now and it starts out with him going to see Mr. Duffy and trying to get him to invest in a racehorse. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?! A lot of characters on the walking dead have been doing dumb stuff recently, but this really takes the biscuit. I'd put him up for stupidest character in television history. I mean seriously, I just wanted to punch him in the face as soon as I saw what he was doing.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the show. Thought the first season was excellent, the second season is a bit of a slow burn so far but still very entertaining.
Stay the heck out of this thread buddy. It's a spoiler minefield. Come back later and join the splooge fest once you are done with S3.

Solo

"Did that come out like you rehearsed it?" :lol

Another great episode. Neal McDonough's Quarles is every bit the equal to Margo Martindale's Mags Bennett. There, I said it. Holy shit does Quarles ever creep me the hell out. That entire scene with him and the boy in the trailer was so completely unsettling. McDonough is just unbelievably good. Raylan's muffed testimony was great and I loved seeing Boyd get a leg up on Quarles. Oh, and major lulz at the granny spilling her milkshake on Raylan. The final three episodes should be incredible.

aku:jiki

Amazing episode, made even more impressive by the fact that it was that ex-assistant's first stab at it. Really impressive! Acting, writing...everything. Can't even put into words how good this show is.

The one thing I didn't like is that Quarles' backstory and motivations don't really make sense when it comes to the raping and the killing. It makes sense for him to believe that killing troubled boys "sets them free," as that might have been something he wished for during all those years he endured rape... But, then, if he was so tortured by it that he killed his own father over it, why would he inflict sexual abuse on his victims if his intent was to "set them free" and honestly seems to believe they're "beautiful souls?" I know he's crazy but he's pretty obviously a rational kind of crazy and suffers more from twisted logic and strange motivations than he does seeing pink elephants and believing Jesus is stalking him.

There, I said it.
Okay? I'd say anyone who doesn't agree is nuts. Quarles might just be the best character the show has ever seen.

Zeliard

The acting and dialogue make for a really fantastic combination. The series is full of great actors who all have interesting things to say.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Neal McDonough's Quarles is every bit the equal to Margo Martindale's Mags Bennett. There, I said it.

Quarles might just be the best character the show has ever seen.

You guyz are cray cray. Mags shits on Quarles. There, I said it.

He's a good character, and Neil McDonough is a good actor, but Quarles has had a fraction of the development and attention that was placed into Mags or Boyd or whoever.

You guyz are cray cray. Mags shits on Quarles. There, I said it.

He's a good character, and Neil McDonough is a good actor, but Quarles has had a fraction of the development and attention that was placed into Mags or Boyd or whoever.

Agreed. Quarles is great, but Mags Bennett is a significantly better character in almost every respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom