• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Am I crazy or has the last couple episodes been kinda wacky pacing wise or something is off as a whole.

Like they are just mashing scenes together and using music at odd moments.

For example tonight's episode when Raylan and Art busted the hitmen, they played that little jingle then transitioned quickly to the next scene. It felt off.

The dialog is still sharp, and individual scenes are fantastic, its just the cohesiveness of the scenes and the episodes as a whole have been lacking in polish this latter half of the season. I keep telling myself that this finale is going to be worth it with the amount of setting up they've been doing.

Don't get me wrong, I still adore this show, just wondering if anyone else notices what i've been noticing.

Al-ibn Kermit

Quarles is headed towards an obvious and probably painful death. Although I can see him making life tough for whoever has to kill him even without any pants on.

Now in addition to Quarles, we'll also see the death of either Limehouse, Limhouse's second-in-command*, or Dickie. Dickie is just too resourceful to die and Limehouse is too awesome, therefore I see Limehouse's right hand man being the one to die.

I'm wondering how those two plan to grab Limehouse's money from Nobel's Holler though with federal agents searching through it. And why exactly does Boyd Crowder have to be involved? All he brings to the table is a paraplegic cousin and an old man, not exactly an army. Boyd already made an offer to Limehouse of killing Dickie in return for getting a share of the Bennet stash but obviously if Boyd has a chance of killing Dickie, Limehouse knows that Boyd won't hesitate for any reason. So what exactly is Errol's plan?

*I looked it up, his second-in-command is named Errol.

Boyd already made an offer to Limehouse of killing Dickie in return for getting a share of the Bennet stash but obviously if Boyd has a chance of killing Dickie, Limehouse knows that Boyd won't hesitate for any reason. So what exactly is Errol's plan?

I'm thinking he might be setting Dickie up for something. The writers have given Errol plenty of reason to want Limehouse gone, but Errol might also be scheming for him still. The speed with which he turned on his boss could be seen as suspicious...

AngryMoth

I'm thinking he might be setting Dickie up for something. The writers have given Errol plenty of reason to want Limehouse gone, but Errol might also be scheming for him still. The speed with which he turned on his boss could be seen as suspicious...
Yeah, reminiscent of when Devil tried to team up with Johnny, and we know how that turned out.

Zeliard

Yeah Errol could very well be setting something up. Then again, it could also be a form of latent, brewing vengeance against Limehouse for having been tortured by him in the past. Maybe he was just looking for a proper motivator.

iSvnLfCpIPpi8.gif

iWShbFvmRx7vv.gif

ixqlLA8tAuHJY.gif

iK2kq6KcuvxXY.gif

g1aot.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Could just have a gif war between Dickie and Quarles.

Quarles' fake "scared" look with the drug dealers was great.

Am I crazy or has the last couple episodes been kinda wacky pacing wise or something is off as a whole.

Like they are just mashing scenes together and using music at odd moments.

For example tonight's episode when Raylan and Art busted the hitmen, they played that little jingle then transitioned quickly to the next scene. It felt off.

The dialog is still sharp, and individual scenes are fantastic, its just the cohesiveness of the scenes and the episodes as a whole have been lacking in polish this latter half of the season. I keep telling myself that this finale is going to be worth it with the amount of setting up they've been doing.

Don't get me wrong, I still adore this show, just wondering if anyone else notices what i've been noticing.

I actually thought exactly the same thing last night. A lot of scenes felt too short and existed for no purpose other than to move pieces around and give some quick exposition. Of course that's always the struggle with writing TV but Justified usually does a better job letting scenes linger to flesh out characters and the world.

I'm wondering how those two plan to grab Limehouse's money from Nobel's Holler though with federal agents searching through it. And why exactly does Boyd Crowder have to be involved? All he brings to the table is a paraplegic cousin and an old man, not exactly an army.

He's also highly skilled at blowing shit up

- The season finale seems like its headed for a Tarantino ending, and I can't wait for it

- Dickie is fucked, but his hair is fantastic. I really want to know how long Jeremy Davies had to wear it like that.

- I don't want to lose Quarles, but I don't see how he lives.

- I told you the power behind the throne is Duffy's eyebrows!

- Kind of a waste of Michael Ironsides. Hope he returns.

Montresor

Is there anyone in season one or two that says "I ain't for sure yet" when discussing a victim, and what they wanna do with that victim?

It's at the tip of my tongue, but I don't know if it happens for sure in Justified, or another show.

Quarles is headed towards an obvious and probably painful death. Although I can see him making life tough for whoever has to kill him even without any pants on.

Now in addition to Quarles, we'll also see the death of either Limehouse, Limhouse's second-in-command*, or Dickie. Dickie is just too resourceful to die and Limehouse is too awesome, therefore I see Limehouse's right hand man being the one to die.

I'm wondering how those two plan to grab Limehouse's money from Nobel's Holler though with federal agents searching through it. And why exactly does Boyd Crowder have to be involved? All he brings to the table is a paraplegic cousin and an old man, not exactly an army. Boyd already made an offer to Limehouse of killing Dickie in return for getting a share of the Bennet stash but obviously if Boyd has a chance of killing Dickie, Limehouse knows that Boyd won't hesitate for any reason. So what exactly is Errol's plan?

Dont say I didn't warn you.

Timbuktu

I hope Limehouse makes it. The whole season seems to be building him up and bring him into play for next year; Quarles ends up being a bait and switch for the big bad who really wasn't. I don't like how this season somewhat demystified Boyd though, now that he is more or less another criminal with limited resources.

Solo

Good episode. Not one of the season's best, but good. I can't believe its taken three seasons to get the show's two most eclectic personalities together - Boyd and Duffy. I hope that there will be some greatness to come out of that pairing. It was nice to see Tim and Rachel have something to do this week, and I loved Rachel full on kicking a dude in the nuts. Quarles has become twice as terrifying to me now that he is a full on oxy user. His facial expressions and how goddamn loose he seems in every situation is so unnerving. You just knew shit was going to go down with those two dealers and yet Quarles just kind of smiles his way through it. Neal McDonough, you magnificent bastard. The last two episodes should be great. Oh, and bartender chick >>>> Winona.

Good episode. Not one of the season's best, but good. I can't believe its taken three seasons to get the show's two most eclectic personalities together - Boyd and Duffy. I hope that there will be some greatness to come out of that pairing. It was nice to see Tim and Rachel have something to do this week, and I loved Rachel full on kicking a dude in the nuts. Quarles has become twice as terrifying to me now that he is a full on oxy user. His facial expressions and how goddamn loose he seems in every situation is so unnerving. You just knew shit was going to go down with those two dealers and yet Quarles just kind of smiles his way through it. Neal McDonough, you magnificent bastard. The last two episodes should be great. Oh, and bartender chick >>>> Winona.

It's amazing she doesn't kick more nuts than she does, considering the way people treat her sometimes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Mr. Duffy...

...Mr. Crowder

Repeat for 59 minutes

Better than Alcatraz

Zeliard

Haha that was a fun line.

I love Wynn Duffy's role this season. His face in general with those awesome arched eyebrows is crazy expressive. Dude communicates entire thought processes with a single look.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I think Wynn Duffy might be the secret best character on this show. He has really been growing on me last couple of weeks.

I hope Limehouse makes it. The whole season seems to be building him up and bring him into play for next year; Quarles ends up being a bait and switch for the big bad who really wasn't. I don't like how this season somewhat demystified Boyd though, now that he is more or less another criminal with limited resources.

Eh... I sort of see what you mean, but for me this is the time when we get to see just what Boyd can do when the chips are down. He's insanely smart, and he's already managed some impressive shit with what little he's got.

Plus... taking Devil out like he did was a pretty big deal. Boyd was starting to look a harmless anti-hero for a while here.

(I love how Boyd is being handled in terms of the killings he has been responsible for since his "religious awakening." It's always been in self defense, or so close to self defense that that's essentially what it is... for example, shooting Devil.)

He also made a comment about no one being able to "stealth him" in his earlier years. I giggled.

Ha! I didn't even catch that. Awesome.

Ironside is actually a pretty good actor, but like a lot of underrated actors, I don't see him much anymore. I hope his character isn't gone from the show for good.
Lance Henricksen needs a role, Justified dudes!

That reminds me... was Carla Gugino's character really a one-shot deal? Seems like a waste of a fine, fine actress. *Quarles Mmm-mmm-mmm.gif*

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Catched up. Fine episode, although a bit too wacky for my taste. Anyway, I loved Wynn being Wynn instead of a freaked out mess, and Dickie Bennett is always good for a laugh. It amazes me that his sorry ass is going to make it to the season finale and maybe then some. Excellent writing too, although that's just expected from Justified (Art lines were particularly amazing)

Re: Hot chicks. Sorry guys, Lindsay is a poor replacement for Winona. Look, I get it, she is a hot piece of ass and happens to be available, but she is also trashy as hell. And you all know that classy >>>> trashy. If any, the real comparison should be Lindsay vs. Ava.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone here like the writer's reference to Splinter Cell (I presume) because of Michael Ironside "Stealthing me". I'd love that reference. This is my favourite new show on television <3

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Did anyone here like the writer's reference to Splinter Cell (I presume) because of Michael Ironside "Stealthing me". I'd love that reference. This is my favourite new show on television <3

There was also another Deadwood shootout, what with the head in the box reference.

Good episode... but did it feel like it ended prematurely for anyone else? It felt short.

Quarles is so fucking hilarious in this episode. I hope he makes it through the season to trouble everyone down the line.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
iWShbFvmRx7vv.gif

Dickie's hair is amazing. I second the comments about whatever magic he's using to keep it that way.

ixqlLA8tAuHJY.gif

As a side note, was anybody else confused by Quarles barely giving a fuck about getting his face splattered with junkie blood? Fuck ties, I know I would be scrubbing myself with steel wool and bleach.

http://i.minus.com/iWShbFvmRx7vv.gif[IMG]

Dickie's hair is [I]amazing[/I]. I second the comments about whatever magic he's using to keep it that way.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ixqlLA8tAuHJY.gif[IMG]

As a side note, was anybody else confused by Quarles barely giving a fuck about getting his face splattered with junkie blood? Fuck ties, I know I would be scrubbing myself with steel wool and bleach.[/QUOTE]Quarels is a psychopath who apparently beats man-whores to death while he's naked, so he might be used to having blood paint his face.

Dickie's hair is quite amazing, though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Enjoyable episode but the last 2 will likely be amazing with the way they're set up. This show has so many great antagonists right now (Boyd, Duffy, Quarles, Dickie, Limehouse) and they're literally all going to be converging at once.

As many have said it seems Quarles is spiraling towards his doom but I'd love it if he surprises everybody and wins somehow. I'd also like to see Limehouse survive through next season too though so I imagine one of those will probably happen at least.

Watch some insane shit go down and Quarles kills the Tonins and takes the Detroit Mob. That would be a fucking epic set-up for another confrontation down the line.

It's unlikely though considering how unhinged and desperate he's becoming.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I just really like that the show seems to be heading down the path of building long-term villains instead monster-of-the-season arcs. (Obviously I'm not counting the development of Boyd as a villain. He's Hero #2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom