• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Did that come out like you rehearsed it?" :lol

Another great episode. Neal McDonough's Quarles is every bit the equal to Margo Martindale's Mags Bennett. There, I said it. Holy shit does Quarles ever creep me the hell out. That entire scene with him and the boy in the trailer was so completely unsettling. McDonough is just unbelievably good. Raylan's muffed testimony was great and I loved seeing Boyd get a leg up on Quarles. Oh, and major lulz at the granny spilling her milkshake on Raylan. The final three episodes should be incredible.

I think they're on equal footing as dangerous villains and both actors seriously brought their A-game. Shit, McDounough owned this episode.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I feel like Quarles is, at this point, as equally strong as Mags. The difference for me is in how quickly each character reached their respective plateau. Mags was fantastic from her first appearance, whereas Quarles has had to grow towards it more slowly, giving Mags the edge.

Al-ibn Kermit

"Did that come out like you rehearsed it?" :lol

Another great episode. Neal McDonough's Quarles is every bit the equal to Margo Martindale's Mags Bennett. There, I said it. Holy shit does Quarles ever creep me the hell out. That entire scene with him and the boy in the trailer was so completely unsettling. McDonough is just unbelievably good. Raylan's muffed testimony was great and I loved seeing Boyd get a leg up on Quarles. Oh, and major lulz at the granny spilling her milkshake on Raylan. The final three episodes should be incredible.

Lol I didn't really get why she spilled the milkshake though. Was it because she still had loyalty to the promise she made to Mags or because she's actually afraid of Dicky?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
What a great episode! That Neal McDonough scene telling his backstory was incredible.

Lol I didn't really get why she spilled the milkshake though. Was it because she still had loyalty to the promise she made to Mags or because she's actually afraid of Dicky?

She did it because she's a proud hillbilly who wasn't falling for the lawman's slick talk, just like Tanner's mom.

Meier

You guyz are cray cray. Mags shits on Quarles. There, I said it.

He's a good character, and Neil McDonough is a good actor, but Quarles has had a fraction of the development and attention that was placed into Mags or Boyd or whoever.

This. Mags will be hard to ever top. Quarles is a pretty standard TV villain with an abuse trope thrown in.. Mags was something special.

Granny getting two milkshakes with one meant to be dumped on him was amazing.

I feel like Quarles is, at this point, as equally strong as Mags. The difference for me is in how quickly each character reached their respective plateau. Mags was fantastic from her first appearance, whereas Quarles has had to grow towards it more slowly, giving Mags the edge.

I agree. Part of Quarles' brilliance, though, is his steady descent into nihilistic madness and loss of his pristine composure. Quarles couldn't have evolved as a character in any other way, IMO. If his reveal as an insane sadist was revealed in the first couple eps. of the season they would have lost their effect.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I agree. Part of Quarles' brilliance, though, is his steady descent into nihilistic madness and loss of his pristine composure. Quarles couldn't have evolved as a character in any other way, IMO. If his reveal as an insane sadist was revealed in the first couple eps. of the season they would have lost their effect.

Quarles has the added effect of Dat Crazy Smile and his Awww Shucks moment with Limehouse.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Quarles has the added effect of Dat Crazy Smile and his Awww Shucks moment with Limehouse.

ibs4Ip69k1BAdK.gif

Lonestar

Lindsay is cool. Hope she doesn't get shot.
I had no idea he was going to be on this week. :D

Almost did a spit take. Now, I would have a tough time if Raylan's took him out...

Just got a bad feeling for Lindsay. This is the second "interruption" with mob guys. Just feels bad

Lonestar

Last week had like 2 or 3 plots. This week, I think there's 5 or 6.

Still good, though. Good scene in the car with Art and Raylan.

Lonestar

But now, there's a chance that Limehouse could be in danger. All the "Villains" could be.

Wynn Duffy. Oh Wynn.

I generally like the music in the show but there's one specific queue that I hate, today they used it after they got Wynn and the Detroit guys in the bedroom. This kind of jokey, sly music that I'd expect to hear on something like Castle. I hate it.

"You have to do this every time? It's exhausting." lol

Lonestar

I generally like the music in the show but there's one specific queue that I hate, today they used it after they got Wynn and the Detroit guys in the bedroom. This kind of jokey, sly music that I'd expect to hear on something like Castle. I hate it.

That's what I was going on about earlier :lol

Why does Dickie have like bald spots on the side of his head? I though he just had some hill billy mohawk but he has long hair in front of the shaved spots in front of his head.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A good set up episode. The final two episodes should be amazing.

I HATE this as well. It feels so inappropriate.

This is a strong statement to make... but I think this may have been one of the show's best episodes. I expect to see some "Quarles kicking ass" gifs shortly!

I knew Duffy wasn't stupid enough to blindly follow along after Quarles on drug-fueled benders. The writers have done a good job of implying his distrust and disapproval, and I knew his loyalty wouldn't extend much further. I like how, up until Boyd tased Quarles ("don't tase me, bro" gifs needed), Duffy was still clearly trying to figure out who he as siding with. I am going to be so disappointed if Duffy is offed this season.

Sadly, I still think Quarles is going down in the season's last episode, but I have no doubt it will be a flashy, memorable death. Mags was a schemer, and it was fitting that she went quietly (if not painlessly). Quarles is like a gunshot to the face, and I think his exit will be loud. (I would be so happy if he survived until next season.)

I was glad to see Rachel and Tim get some more screen time. I'd like to see some serious character development for both of them. Even though Rachel essentially got an episode of her own, she's still basically the Badass Hot Chick. And Tim... he's far too weird and interesting to be an ancillary character forever.

I want Raylan's new hot woman to stick around, but I just don't see her as a regular character. They were already broadcasting the "minor character" signals in this episode.

FAKE EDIT: WTF was on the huge TV in the meth dealer's house when Boyd and crew were talking to the crazy dog lady? Looked like some ghetto-ass video game.

The one thing I didn't like is that Quarles' backstory and motivations don't really make sense when it comes to the raping and the killing. It makes sense for him to believe that killing troubled boys "sets them free," as that might have been something he wished for during all those years he endured rape... But, then, if he was so tortured by it that he killed his own father over it, why would he inflict sexual abuse on his victims if his intent was to "set them free" and honestly seems to believe they're "beautiful souls?" I know he's crazy but he's pretty obviously a rational kind of crazy and suffers more from twisted logic and strange motivations than he does seeing pink elephants and believing Jesus is stalking him.

A lot of victims of sexual abuse become abusers themselves. They feel a drive to do it, a drive they can't rationalize away. It makes sense that Quarles would both hate the objects of his violence--hating them as he hates himself for feeling the way he does towards them, as well as asuming the role earlier filled by his own abusers (and, in that sense, obtaining the power he never had as an abused child)--and also feel empathy for them, IMO.

Quarles is one fucked-up dude. I thought his behavior in the last few episodes was a little brash for his character, but it makes sense if you consider his desperation ("I have nowhere else to go") and the drug addiction he's spiraling deeper into in this episode. I just hope he's clear-headed when it counts. (Listen to me, wishing the best on a human monster! He's just that good a character.)

No way is the money going to be under a church in plain sight like that. For all the smarts and maneuvering Limehouse has made, he isn't going to keep it there. Come on Dickie, Ellen May isn't the person to trust or believe. Forget who she claims to have told her, she's all in with Boyd's crew now.

And whatever happens next, I've got to believe that Arlo is going to fuck things up. He's pretty damn close to being of his rocker and not someone Body should be trusting to follow through on their scheme.

Forgot to mention how much I loved the scenes between Dickie and Limehouse's guy. (No idea what his name is.) The latter has good reason not to trust Limehouse or want to keep him alive, and he's already proven he thinks he knows better than his boss. But does anyone else think he might be playing some sort of angle to get rid of Dickie?

And whatever happens next, I've got to believe that Arlo is going to fuck things up. He's pretty damn close to being of his rocker and not someone Body should be trusting to follow through on their scheme.

I could see him shooting Dickie against Boyd's wishes. I really don't want to see the last Bennett go, but I think Dickie's time is coming to an end. (Unless he really does somehow take over Limehouse's empire... wouldn't that be something?)

Tokubetsu

No way is the money going to be under a church in plain sight like that. For all the smarts and maneuvering Limehouse has made, he isn't going to keep it there. Come on Dickie, Ellen May isn't the person to trust or believe. Forget who she claims to have told her, she's all in with Boyd's crew now.

It's not really an issue anymore now that he's teaming up with Errol, but its already been established that Dickie isn't as smart as he thinks he is. He's like a slightly more competent version of Theo Tonin's son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom