• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

She smashed people in the face with fry
ing pans and she punched whores.

iF8H0zD2ZbrEZ.gif

Rewatching "Man Walks Into A Bar". Great episode including Quarles' origin story speech about his dad, Raylan and Quarles' standoff in the bar, as well as Raylan's hilariously bad testimony against Dickie Bennett.

tokkun

I hope we get more Wynn Duffy. That scene in the season 3 finale between him and Raylan was amazing.

I was actually thinking the opposite. How many times now has Raylan told Duffy that the next time he gets in trouble he will kill him? I understand that the audience likes him, but it's the same character beat over and over again.

Which ones? Can't find anything on his IMDb page.
He's an EP on The Americans and his name is attached as a producer for a ton of other stuff that's been floating around recently. There's no telling how much of it will actually get made, though.

He's a busy little bee, that one. There's also L.A. Woman at NBC which he's writing and producing, Falling Skies, and probably others! Crazy. Glad his role hasn't lessened on team Justified!

- 10 minutes of Justified discussion and review on this week's Sepinwall and Fienberg podcast
Happy New Year from your friends at Firewall & Iceberg Podcast! On our first show of 2013 — and our last before the start of the mid-season TV critics press tour — Dan and I review a bunch of new and (mostly) returning series, including "Downton Abbey," "Justified" and "Cougar Town." The lineup:

"Downton Abbey" (00:02:08 - 00:18:45)
"Bunheads" (00:18:47 - 00:26:27)
"Deception" (00:26:28 - 00:33:20)
"Justified" (00:33:28 - 00:44:53)
"The Joe Schmo Show" (00:44:54 - 00:55:20)
"Cougar Town" (00:55:22 - 00:1:04:00)

- Variety: Justified Review
Having mastered season-long arcs filled with fabulous guest characters -- and coming off brilliant back-to-back seasons -- "Justified" is perhaps to be forgiven for a slow start in hitting the reset button. Always fun, the first two hours of the FX drama's fourth season are also meandering, introducing several new players, but as yet failing to betray much about how or when they'll intersect. Fortunately, star Timothy Olyphant by himself remains ample reason to tune in, and the show has built up enough goodwill to postpone rendering a verdict, which is essentially what these episodes require.

Solo

Yost and his team are combining the narrative structures of the first two seasons: a crime-of-the-week procedural folded into a guiding season-long arc

Thank you based Justified. S3 crumbled under its own weight. Making S4 a S1-S2 hybrid is aces.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yost and his team are combining the narrative structures of the first two seasons: a crime-of-the-week procedural folded into a guiding season-long arc

Faaaaantastic news. Looks like they've learned their lesson with season 3's gross structure.

I'm almost done with my rewatch - just two episodes to go. They had some more procedural elements up front in S3 (Olyphant & Gugino, pawn shop, Dewey Crowe's kidney's, etc...) and those worked pretty well. It's at the back end of S3 where things got a little muddy because of all the competing interests going on simultaneously. It works on some level as a portrayal of the mad scramble to fill in a power vacuum now that Bennetts are gone (it's chaotic and violent), but they could have used more thematically unified episodes or something to bind it together. I think it holds up better when marathoning through it, but it's still a little messy trying to keep track of everything that's flying by. The writing is still great on a micro level (dialogue still rings true and there are some great individual scenes), but the overall structure could use some fine tuning. I'll see if my opinion shifts after watching the final two this weekend.

Solo

Did Yost ever say why S3 didn't end with "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" after both S1 and S2 ended with it?

Solo

If Quarles didn't die, then here's hoping for a Neal McDonough return in a later season. Preferably one that isn't a clusterfuck like the end of S3. McDonough was great.

Solo

They didn't think it played well with the final scene. (I agree.)

It just seems weird to make it a tradition in S2 only to turn around and break the tradition with S3.

Anyways, I was thinking about it and I think the series finale (S6) has to come back around to how S1 ended. "You willing to bet your life on that?" "I'm willing to bet that you're the only friend I have in the world". That bit between Raylan and Boyd.

It just seems weird to make it a tradition in S2 only to turn around and break the tradition with S3.

Anyways, I was thinking about it and I think the series finale (S6) has to come back around to how S1 ended. "You willing to bet your life on that?" "I'm willing to bet that you're the only friend I have in the world". That bit between Raylan and Boyd.

And then both go out in a blaze of glory like Butch and Sundance.

No, I'd hate that ending.

Solo

How was S3's ending a clusterfuck? I thought it was great.

The first half of the season was amazing, and by that point it was my favorite season. But the back end went completely off the rails and was my least favorite run of Justified. There was far too many plot threads going on, and almost none of them were concluded satisfactorily. Quarles' arc took a serious downwards turn too. They need to (and based on the early reviews, have) simplify the narrative from S3 and give it room to breathe and grow organically like S1 and S2 did. The end of S3 was basically plot twist upon plot twist and double cross upon double cross. I don't watch Justified for that. I watch for the great character development and the unique cadence and flavour the show had for 2.5 seasons.

More reviews/articles:

- Detroit News: Straight shooting, cool characters keep TV's 'Justified' riveting
"Justified" does have a tendency to pack its ranks — there are at least 10 other characters who could be listed here — and you're never quite sure where it's going (or who will be sticking around). But that's part of the fun, obviously, and the show works wonderfully as long as the good/bad dichotomy of Raylan and Boyd holds the center. Even when they're just satellites orbiting one another, the electricity of these two fine actors and characters keeps this series crackling like a late night lightning storm.

Grade: B+

- Standard Examiner: Exceptional ‘Justified’ holds true to author’s vision
“Justified” is the perfect blend of pulpy thrills, sly humor and unconventional storytelling, fronted by a character that feels like an charmingly flawed icon from a bygone era.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tuesday is going to be epic. Even more epic when Southland premieres.

Happy Endings
Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23
Justified
Southland
Cougar Town
New Girl

Goddamn.

Question for Justified-GAF: How is that Longmire show? It sounded like a pleasant substitute while waiting for more Justified, but I never checked it out because I usually don't like TV dramas that don't have multiple episodes-long story arcs... did that ever change throughout the course of the first season?

Picked up season 3 on Bluray. I'm really loving it so far (about 4 eps in). Here's hoping I'll be ready for the premier.

Really looking forward to it, and now that FX does a great job of quickly posting their content to Amazon, I shouldn't fall behind like in seasons past. Just finished my re-watch of Season 3 and can't wait for more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom