• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

Question for Justified-GAF: How is that Longmire show? It sounded like a pleasant substitute while waiting for more Justified, but I never checked it out because I usually don't like TV dramas that don't have multiple episodes-long story arcs... did that ever change throughout the course of the first season?

You know what? I checked it out just because Katee Sackhoff was in it but it's pretty damn decent. You're never going to go "WOW what the hell did I just watch?" or jump out of your seat but it's well written, well acted, the plot has no discernible holes and it's darker than you would expect (in a good way.) I've heard some complaints about the main guy's accent (he's Australian) but I'm a dirty foreigner so I don't care. And though it's mainly a procedural it does have a season arc.

Give it a look. You won't be disappointed.

- Sepinwall's review: In 'Justified' season 4, Raylan Givens investigates a mystery
As much fun as it was last season to watch Mykelti Williamson brandish his cleaver as wily crime lord Mr. Limehouse, or watch Neal McDonough flash that terrifying smile as carpet-bagging mobster Robert Quarles, that season ultimately didn’t come down to either of those two men, but to the haunting moment when Raylan realizes that Arlo had killed a cop he mistook for the son he’s always despised. Yost can keep bringing in superb character actors (and he does so here), but the core will always be this cop who came from a family of criminals and set out to have the most rigid moral code possible. By forcing Raylan to retrace his father’s decades-old steps, Yost is reinventing his show yet again, but he’s also going deeper into the heart and mind of the man with the big hat and gun.
- SF Chronicle: Raylan Givens returns as ‘Justified’ season 4 begins
The dialogue in the first two episodes of the new season crackles with brilliance. Even the most casual exchange between Raylan and Boyd manages to be elaborately florid and completely credible at the same time. In fact, hearing just a bit of dialogue from Justified makes actors from other TV shows just sound like actors saying their lines.

Most tellingly, Justified has defied the tradition in TV that when one network has a great show that everyone is talking about, other networks tend to come up with imitations. That hasn’t happened with Justified, perhaps because its quality is inimitable.

iOvfxRWUfbqRE.gif

I wanna rewatch Slaughterhouse, but from wheeeeeeeeeeere?

I think the disarmed scene is one of the best in the series. So funny. I wanna see that GIF again, McDonough's face was hilarious.

Clevinger

In 2012, after two hit seasons of “Justified” had aired, Elmore Leonard took Raylan Givens back to the page, in a novel titled “Raylan” – his first Givens story since 2001.

Stranger still, Leonard got the idea from actor Timothy Olyphant. As “Justified’s” creator Graham Yost explained to GQ, “It started when [Leonard] was visiting the set in the first season and Tim said to him, ‘Hey, why don’t you write another Raylan short story?’” It must have been a surreal moment for Leonard, his own character standing there telling him to write more about him.

Hah.

Anyone read it? Any good?

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Hyped for it! <3 Boyd!

Anyone know if the S1/S2 Blu-rays are that good? (Thinking of picking them on the cheap). S3 Blu-ray doesn't get to Australia till March 6th =(

Solo

"This year, we've brought it back to the core group, which allows us to in some ways exercise what I think is our greatest strength -- longer scenes, not as complicated, and you get to hear this Elmore-speak," Goggins says. He's referring to the best-selling author's distinct way with wry personalities and dry humor. "In some ways, it's kind of coming back to the way we first started the show."

Nice! It's like they're completely aware that S3 got out of hand and they've made a point to pare things back down. Getting, er, justifiably hyped now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom