• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Warming Glow: A few GIFs from tonight's episode

ifPflpu3jyG0f.gif

The Scrabble scene was perfect given that earlier in the episode Cousin Johnny mentioned how Boyd is always "$10 words" or whatever. Seriously I would not want to play Scrabble against a guy as eloquent as Boyd Crowder.

Linius

The Scrabble scene was perfect given that earlier in the episode Cousin Johnny mentioned how Boyd is always "$10 words" or whatever. Seriously I would not want to play Scrabble against a guy as eloquent as Boyd Crowder.

These exact words Marty used against Rust in last weeks True Detective :p

Loved this episode, that scrabble scene was so perfect. And the Crowes are stepping up and all. Dewey comedy is always good. And the Crowe kid Raylan took from them is Neckbone from Mud :D

Solo

First really good, in-tone episode of the season for me. Now that is Justified. Welcome back. I'm really curious to find out if Art learns of Raylan's part in the tarmac murder, and how that all plays out if he does.

Now that felt like an episode of Justified. It was the first one I've enjoyed 100% from start to finish this season.

First really good, in-tone episode of the season for me. Now that is Justified. Welcome back. I'm really curious to find out if Art learns of Raylan's part in the tarmac murder, and how that all plays out if he does.

I know the other episodes were different in terms of story, but I enjoyed them immensely, and the reason they can ramp up so much right now is cause they set it all up in those other episodes.

Solo

I know the other episodes were different in terms of story, but I enjoyed them immensely, and the reason they can ramp up so much right now is cause they set it all up in those other episodes.

I felt the writing, particularly the dialogue, wasn't up to Justified snuff the first few episodes. On top of that the premiere in particular had a very weird tone to it, and the first two episodes went overboard (for me, anyways) with guest stars.

But these last two episodes have turned the corner for me and I feel like the show is back on the right path again.

First really good, in-tone episode of the season for me. Now that is Justified.

Yeah, I agree. I think they took most of the clunky, point A to point B problems they have had in other seasons, and shoved them all to the beginning. They definitely had a plan for this / next season, and needed to make a bunch of jumps to get there.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic episode. Poor Dewey. :'(

Boyd and Raylan were awesome. I've missed their conversations.

Art is getting closer to finding out what Raylan did and Raylan's going to be in a world of trouble.

why did the haitian come with the crowes?

I get the impression that it's the Haitian who is really running things.

I love how this show will bring characters back without just forgetting about them such as with Loretta and Messer and Dewey.

Really makes it feel like there is a world that exists there without just running through character after character and never seeing them again.

I think the main reason that everyone liked this episode the best is because Ava had a larger role than before.

... That prison scene was the worst part of the episode to me.
Not because of Ava, but because those two prison guards hammed it up big time.
Seriously, am I alone in thinking this?

kazebyaka

Banned
I'm watching this season and catching myself on the thought that I don't understand what's going on most of the time. Can anybody help me catch up on the plot prior to the events of this week?

I'm watching this season and catching myself on the thought that I don't understand what's going on most of the time. Can anybody help me catch up on the plot prior to the events of this week?
Is this the first time you've ever watched the show? I would suggest you start from the beginning if that's the case. A lot of the plot hinges on long relationships between characters, and you're missing out if skip over the back story.

Wikipedia has decent episode summaries from previous seasons here: S1, S2, S3, S4. I can dig up some S5 episode summaries if that's what you're looking for.

Michael Rapaport is doing a great job with Darryl, anyway loved the ep!

Agree. He is doing a great job.

Really? Well, Boyd is trying to get his drug business together while trying to get the funeral guy to change his story and get Ava out of jail, using his wife, and his sheriff to do so.
Rayland is sitting on a house for the justice department, while entertaining a new romance with Amy Smart. While running away from the responsibility of his old wife and baby... while his collusion to kill Augustine last season starts to catch up to him.
While Dewey has to deal with the large problems his sentlement has caused. Boyd screwing him, and his dangerous cousins.
That's about it.

Is this the first time you've ever watched the show? I would suggest you start from the beginning if that's the case. A lot of the plot hinges on long relationships between characters, and you're missing out if skip over the back story.

Wikipedia has decent episode summaries from previous seasons here: S1, S2, S3, S4. I can dig up some S5 episode summaries if that's what you're looking for.

I love how often the events of the first season are referenced, even today.

kazebyaka

Banned

I'm on board from season 1, i just get lost in the names and stuff, dunno why.

Karak

FINALLY. Justified actually doing what it does best. The season has been utter trash so far so I won't get my hopes up but almost all of the clumsy story telling was gone and we got back to the heart and soul of these guys. Crossing my fingers man. Really great episode.

Did the 2010 model resurface????

The casual sexist ageist crap in this thread is not cool.

But yeah, was nice to finally see a bit of Ava's life inside the joint. I like how they made her strong in that scene, yet not overly empowered. There were some funny lines but it was still a scary moment.

Mifune

Mehmber
So far this season just isn't doing it for me. Feels like Justified on auto-pilot. Maybe the problem is I don't find the Crowes to be at all interesting.

- FX Justified Blog: Q&A with “Over the Mountain” Writer Taylor Elmore
You gave us one of the more anticipated scenes thus far, which is Raylan and Boyd’s first scene this season. Can you explain the how and why of this scene and its placement in your episode?

It became the organic place to go because Wade Messer was engineered as being this confidential informant against Boyd. We really try to keep Boyd and Raylan apart unless there’s a really good reason to put them together because it feels like currency that’s ill spent if it doesn’t do something. This was an opportunity not only to touch base – because we’re going to go further with their relationship this season – but it’s also a legitimate reason to go at Boyd.

What we liked about this was catching Boyd literally on the way to potentially kill someone with a gun in his hand when Raylan walks in. And this speaks to Raylan’s state of mind: he could take Boyd in on this, arrest him on this charge and he could possibly see jail time. But he chooses not to because he’s looking for a larger game.

What’s fun is that we play with this notion of Boyd – and Walton plays it – that Boyd takes this as a sign that Raylan likes him and is granting this license because there’s some sort of love there. It’s funny because we also feel at the same time that Raylan is not doing that at all, because it’s not useful to have Boyd incarcerated when he’s the one person Raylan can go to and say, “Talk to me about Wade Messer.” So it came about organically on that front and it just seemed to be the most fun way to have them together.

What was the hardest scene to shoot?

Weirdly it was the geography of where Dewey was when he comes upon Wade Messer in the woods and the family finds him. We had to find a way to shoot it so they couldn’t see Wade from their point of view but Dewey could see them. We were losing light and we were in Frazier Park, which is this heavily wooded area and when the sun goes behind the mountain, that’s it, it’s dark. We were running out of light and poor Gwyneth was trying to figure out the angles. I remember that being a tough day. Then we had ATVs and a fake deer that they had shot and we couldn’t figure which ATV to get him on. It was a fairly simple scene but the logistics of it were daunting.

And then the dog. Dogs are always tough. There were a lot of dog trainers and also the fact that it was a male dog. Biggest balls I’ve ever seen on an animal except maybe a rhinoceros.
More via the link.

New episode tonight:
Shot All to Hell

A mob revenge plot descends upon Kentucky; Boyd's recent successes are tempered by a crushing defeat.
It's a longer episode tonight that will run about 10 minutes past the hour.

I find him to be very intimidating - good stuff.
Interesting, I find him to be the weakest bad guy so far in the history of the show. I think it's a combination of his (imo bad) dialect and so far, not doing much to show his level of power and intimidation. Danny Crowe has given off more of an intimidating/creepy vibe than Daryl has. Hopefully it will change as things ramp up, but so far I'm put off by Rappaport every time he's on screen.

inm8num2

Interesting, I find him to be the weakest bad guy so far in the history of the show. I think it's a combination of his (imo bad) dialect and so far, not doing much to show his level of power and intimidation. Danny Crowe has given off more of an intimidating/creepy vibe than Daryl has. Hopefully it will change as things ramp up, but so far I'm put off by Rappaport every time he's on screen.

Rapaport's character seems like such a wild card to me. Every time there's a pause I think he's going to snap or something. I guess my intimidation comes from that. He has that 'unnaturally calm' vibe.

I agree his dialect was spotty in places, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Rapaport's character is scary because he's a straight up bully. He looks and sounds like the kind of asshole that will beat you into submission just to show who's boss and at the same time is wild enough to bite more than he can chew, as evidenced by his standoff with Raylan.

Rapaport's character is scary because he's a straight up bully. He looks and sounds like the kind of asshole that will beat you into submission just to show who's boss and at the same time is wild enough to bite more than he can chew, as evidenced by his standoff with Raylan.
Yes, his attitude in that standoff (didn't care at all if he got shot) definitely raised the intensity a few notches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom