• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they are. I'm looking forward to talking about it on the True Detective thread (since we talk about every other show there)
ava-smack.gif

I missed some of the lines in that last scene with Boyd and Daryl. What's going on or implied as going on? Those guys in on it with Daryl?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

This is exactly how I feel about the season:

"On the whole, season 5 has been a step down for "Justified," feeling a bit like a placeholder year before we get to the series' conclusion. Lots of characters and/or story arcs that didn't work or continue to not work, and a lack of cohesion to all of it.

But even with all that, this is still a show that has Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder, that has this great stable of supporting characters and colorful guest stars, and writers who understand the basic Elmore Leonard of it all. I haven't loved this season, but "Justified" remains highly watchable even when various individual pieces don't click."

Though I did appreciate this episode more than he seemed to. Thought last week's was worse.

Like grifter Barbie Lindsey would ever marry George Lopez!

lol. I don't miss her.

I missed some of the lines in that last scene with Boyd and Daryl. What's going on or implied as going on? Those guys in on it with Daryl?

Thought the implication was that they had talked to the guys that showed up at the end, and were planning to steal the dope from Boyd.

I've loved this season alot. The thing is, a weak season of Justified is still better than most other shows on Television.

Looking forward to how Boyd handles this next predicament.

This season has lacked the focus of S4 and S2, and it's suffered for it. It's still very entertaining because the characters and the dialogue is a ton of fun, but it's hard to get as up for it when it's so scattershot. Hopefully they tighten things up for the last few episodes.

This season has lacked the focus of S4 and S2, and it's suffered for it. It's still very entertaining because the characters and the dialogue is a ton of fun, but it's hard to get as up for it when it's so scattershot. Hopefully they tighten things up for the last few episodes.

I think this show needs to spin off into a Constable Bob/Dewey Crowe Buddy Cop show.

bndadm

Any episode that lets me watch Alicia Witt that much is a winner.

That being said, I found myself reading my new LEGO catalog during the prison segments. I just can't be bothered to actually care about Ava, sad as it is to say. I'm feeling what most everyone else is feeling, that this season just lacks focus.

Kendal ain't that dumb, and yes, his father is a pussy.

Now that Raglan doesn't have a girlfriend, I want to see if his more important issues at work come back into focus. There's still a lot to be settled. I hope we get back to that.

"...boomtown."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Raylan's been so down on his luck all season, doing everything kinda half-hearted. It's a weird vibe. He's on the laziest downward spiral right now.

Any episode that lets me watch Alicia Witt that much is a winner.

She's purty.

Kendal ain't that dumb, and yes, his father is a pussy.

Now that Raglan doesn't have a girlfriend, I want to see if his more important issues at work come back into focus. There's still a lot to be settled. I hope we get back to that.

"...boomtown."

You writing Raglan, is this a gag or a misspelling...?

Raylan's been so down on his luck all season, doing everything kinda half-hearted. It's a weird vibe. He's on the laziest downward spiral right now.

She's purty.

You writing Raglan, is this a gag or a misspelling...?

That's the issue with a new tablet and having auto correct get in the way. I'm adding Raylan to the dictionary now.

KingKong

I'm really not feeling this season, it feels like they're spinning their wheels and Raylan is just going on random adventures

Niraj

Curious to see what the endgame is for the season. Also, no Duffy last night. :/

You'd think that a guy who was just promoted to a series regular wouldn't be relegated to Rachel and Tim status in terms of appearances.

Niraj

There's a lot of "this will be crucial" "this will be important for the rest of the season." You'd think they'd do a better job of establishing some of those things sooner though :/ Also, it really seems like having to kill of Jean-Baptiste made them scramble a bit. Wonder what they had planned for him and how much it has really affected this season. Seems like it had more impact than I thought it would.

you think he'd have gone to Mexico for the deal he's a partner in.

Normally I could see him staying hands-off, but considering how important this is, I'd have to agree. Would've been fun seeing him react to the Crowes shooting Hot Rod's crew.

There are TONS of issues this season but it's still entertaining. Off the top of my head:

Raylan and Boyd aren't interacting.
Where's Art?
Where's Wynn? They made him a regular this season; could've fooled me.
Where's Tim?
Where's Rachel?
I miss Winona. (ymmv)
Ava's storyline couldn't be less interesting.
Michael Rapaport is not convincing anyone.
The Crowes aren't fit to shine the shoes of any previous "big bads." Dewey started the only interesting one and he's remained the only interesting one. He's a joke character at best, though.
The plot is meandering, too many pieces are too far from each other. What's the end game? Do we care? Is there one?
The whip-smart dialogue and banter is suffering because the pieces are spread so thin.
ETC

There are only 5 episodes left this season; a lot has to go right to salvage it. This show has been among my favorites each year, maybe even in my top 10 all time. Maybe even higher! S2? Mags? Some of the best TV of all time. Quarles? Come ON. My expectations, week to week, are sky-high. Not everything can maintain that level of quality; this show did for 4 seasons. I'm not writing off S5 as a misstep, but it's hard for it to feel like anything other than one at this point. I believe, Justified, always have; always will. Not going anywhere... but you're better than this.

The season is losing me fast.

I don't give a shit about Raylan and Amy Smart's "relationship" and Ava's prison shit almost has me reaching for the FF button.

Still really interested in where Boyd and Daryl's story is going, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom