• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Nelson and Will Sasso showing up as Canadian mobsters was just terrible. I mean, just awful. Took me right out of the show.
Koechner was almost as bad. These guys have such goofy reputations. Just didn't work for me.

Other than that, it was a pretty good premiere.

Edit:

And fuck Dwayne Wade.

BdenSIXIgAApqws.jpg

Plissken

Great episode, the many reactions of Duffy and Dewey were great. Dewey's reaction at the 300k number was fantastic, it's like he won the redneck lottery.

As expected:

- Zap2It: 'Justified' likely to end with Season 6, FX says
Savor your time with Raylan Givens while you can, "Justified" fans, because he may not be around after 2015.

FX president Nick Grad says "the plan right now" is to end the series, which had its fifth-season premiere Tuesday night (Jan. 7), after Season 6. That would be in keeping with FX's usual m.o. of having its successful dramas run six to eight seasons.

"We like having shows that rate really well, and there's an instinct that you want it to go on forever. But it doesn't," Grad tells Variety. "Another metric that's important to us is, 'What shows are going to be talked about in the next 20 years?' If you're making a great, 80-hour movie, it has to have a beginning, middle and end. Going out at the right time is going to make your show last forever. We want to make shows that stand the test of time."

"Justified" has pulled solid ratings for FX over its first four seasons, growing from 3.4 million viewers in its first year to 4.1 million for Season 4. Numbers for Tuesday's premiere weren't available at posting time.

Dave Nelson and Will Sasso showing up as Canadian mobsters was just terrible. I mean, just awful. Took me right out of the show.
Koechner was almost as bad. These guys have such goofy reputations. Just didn't work for me.

Other than that, it was a pretty good premiere.

I guess I was lucky that I didn't recognize any of the guest actors. Acting has to be pretty bad to take me out of the show.

I liked the episode and look forward to seeing Art, Rachel, and Tim again.

styl3s

Hopefully they end up doing a 7th or even 8th season. The show is still hot, fresh and they can easily pop out another 2-3 seasons without it getting stale. In a perfect world i would want 10 seasons, hell. 8 seasons. But 6? Give daddy at least 1 more fix after season 6.

I know the plan is currently 6 seasons but hopefully during the writing of season 6 they realize they have at least one more season in them.

Hopefully they end up doing a 7th or even 8th season. The show is still hot, fresh and they can easily pop out another 2-3 seasons without it getting stale. In a perfect world i would want 10 seasons, hell. 8 seasons. But 6? Give daddy at least 1 more fix after season 6.

I know the plan is currently 6 seasons but hopefully during the writing of season 6 they realize they have at least one more season in them.
You just want more seasons because you figure eventually they'll HAVE to use McShane and Hawkes because every other actor in existence will have guest starred by then. :p

- Deadline: FX’s ‘Justified’ Down In Season 5 Debut
The heavily promoted return of the Peabody and Emmy-winning FX series also saw 2.84 million viewers watching that all happen. That’s a 21% drop from the 3.59 million who tuned in for the Season 4 opener on January 8, 2013 and the lowest premiere for the series so far in terms of total viewers. Additionally, last night’s Justified had 1.42 million watching among Adults 18-49. That’s down 14% from the 1.65 million in the key demo who tuned in for the Season 4 debut. Having said that, those numbers will likely rise for the DVR-friendly series once Live+7 DVR numbers come in; the Season 4 finale in April 2013 grew 70% from the 2.249 million viewers reported in Live+Same Day to just over 3.82 million in Live+7 results, according to Nielsen.
Not a huge deal since more people are timeshifting these days and FX is on board for the 6-season plan.

I just hope Goggins decides to star in that show he's writing (Gringo) after this show is over.

Solo

Hmmmm.....not sure how I felt about that one. I think it was a weaker premiere, for sure. The writing didn't have that usual cadence and crackle, the guest stars were large in number and somewhat offputting (2 Canadian comedians playing Canadians talking about Tim Hortons? Really?), and I'm not sure yet how intriguing the Crowe clan is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Gut reaction is that this is my least favorite premiere so far (but still good!)

I feel the same way. Weakest season premiere yet, though still good. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season will play out.

Excellent news.

What about Johnny Crowder?
Said no one ever.

I was actually wondering about him. I forgot what happened to him last season.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I feel the same way. Weakest season premiere yet, though still good. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season will play out.

Excellent news.

I was actually wondering about him. I forgot what happened to him last season.

I'm assuming he's fine. Last we saw him was when Rachel and Raylan were at the bar (the "why do you have to be such a dick?" "It's my job being a dick, it'd be weird if you liked me." scene). Raylan leaves and he tells Johnny that it's up to Rachel what happens to him.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Solid premiere. A bit weird with the Canadian mobsters talking about Tim Horton's. Curious to see where this all goes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm assuming he's fine. Last we saw him was when Rachel and Raylan were at the bar (the "why do you have to be such a dick?" "It's my job being a dick, it'd be weird if you liked me." scene). Raylan leaves and he tells Johnny that it's up to Rachel what happens to him.

Oh yeah, he left him in Rachel's hands and it was ambiguous as to what she intended to do with him. I imagine that if she had turned him over to Boyd we would have heard about it in the premiere.

That was a great premiere! Really enjoyed it.

- Cracked up at Dewey and the 300K. Also, at Raylan shooting the pool.

- Koechner was pretty good as a contrast to Raylan. I didn't recognize a bunch of other guest stars, so I guess I wasn't thrown off like some folks. That said... Tim Hortons is all they could come up with for the Canadians? Though I didn't know that Tim Horton died in a police chase.

- LOL DETROIT.

- Alicia Witt is sexy as fuck. Wow.

- It took five seasons, but we finally got a legit, white trash redneck family as the antagonists.

- I liked Michael Rapaport.

Didn't really love the premiere, but I'm interested in where it goes.

I was really surprised at seeing Dave Foley and Will Sasso, hopefully we see more of them later on. I got the feeling that the Alligator poacher was the real bad guy/guy in charge. Maybe I'm just reading too much into his ominous quiet demeanor.

Didn't really love the premiere, but I'm interested in where it goes.

I was really surprised at seeing Dave Foley and Will Sasso, hopefully we see more of them later on. I got the feeling that the Alligator poacher was the real bad guy/guy in charge. Maybe I'm just reading too much into his ominous quiet demeanor.

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too. The man behind the man.

This episode felt more like Elmore Leonard (Out of Sight, in particular due to the double setting in Detroit/Florida) than Justified if that makes any sense. I appreciate that they're trying something different, but I'm hoping they're back in Harlan County soon where the Givens/Crowder/Crowe conflict can really kick off.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Pretty sure Paxton was still alive. She said something like "I'll take care of you, baby" to him after Boyd left. That's the feeling I got, anyway.

I assumed that she was meant "take care of the body" like the other corpses he had in the funeral parlor (they made a point of mentioning that she helped Paxton out with that). The zoom in on the casket kind of solidified that for me.

Snake

Maybe I'm crazy but I thought that was a hell of a premiere. It didn't establish any clear picture of where the season is headed or who the big bad is (at least definitively), but this was doubly true of early Season 4. The raw entertainment value was as high as ever.

Though, while the list of guest stars was crazy/amazing, I was a little disappointed that Dave Foley wasn't cast to interact with Judge Stephen Root.

I died at this. Just utterly died.

You're not crazy, I also thought it was a hell of a premiere. Boyd and Duffy on their Detroit adventures, the Crowe clan, the swampy Florida setting, David Koechner, the many yet always shocking deaths, the hilarious Dewey scene... there was so much for me to love about this episode.

kirblar

This episode felt more like Elmore Leonard (Out of Sight, in particular due to the double setting in Detroit/Florida) than Justified if that makes any sense. I appreciate that they're trying something different, but I'm hoping they're back in Harlan County soon where the Givens/Crowder/Crowe conflict can really kick off.
Pretty sure this episode was intended as a tribute to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom