• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

***k halo2 and HL2, Gradius V is GoTY

nitewulf

clearly.
blissful graphics and fantastic gameplay. multiple lasers. tight controls. this game rocks.
after waiting a month for outpost to ship it, i cancelled my order and just went ahead and bought it from gamestop (near my work). they overcharged me ($35), i said "fuck it, give me the game. ill play this shit tonight or else!!!"
then i came home and popped it in and got my ass beat. and kept getting my ass beat. i couldnt even get past the first boss. sometimes i survived long enough for it to just go away in annoyance at my utter inability. and then i died in level 2!
i didnt realize that you could keep adding powerups till you get to the powerup you want and bam, you initiate it. so i just kept speeding up, and up and then speeding down. not getting any multiples and had to face the bosses and the waves of enemies with my puny blaster.
to top it off...i was actually tapping the shot button, when holding it in works better.
i just come from a different school of shooters.
then today i finally got fed up and frustrated at the sheer impossibility of the bosses and let the demo run. and i saw the light. i realized that you could get 4 powerups to get to "multiple" and then you can actually get the multiple!!!!!
anyway, thats it. now i breezed through the first two levels.

Burger

***k halo2 and HL2, Gradius V is GoTY

point.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
iawtp. had you never played a gradius game before? how'd you manage that? v rocks, though.

nitewulf

drohne said:
iawtp. had you never played a gradius game before? how'd you manage that? v rocks, though.
only on mame, and i never bothered getting good at them as i preffer vertical shooters.

Matlock said:
R-Type Final > Gradius V
ok, you just have bad taste. in general. really. you dont like PDO. you dont like ICO. and now this. its a wonder that you like the white stripes, thats some sort of an anomaly. :D

robot said:
gradius V is perfect imo - i have yet to find anything wrong with the game.
in the manual its suggested that you use the D-pad. and the ps2 D-pad...sucks ass.
its much easier and better to use the analog.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Matlock said:
R-Type Final > Gradius V

No way.

Final is a good game and all, but the level designs are pretty hit or miss and the game is so loaded with slowdown that it nearly ruins the experience. Stage 3 is PAINFUL to play.

Gradius V is just amazing, however, and feels totally inspired. Of course, you pretty much have the worst tastes ever (outside of some hardcore Nintendo fans), so I'm not suprised you feel that way. :p

john2kx

nitewulf said:
in the manual its suggested that you use the D-pad. and the ps2 D-pad...sucks ass.
its much easier and better to use the analog.

uh huh.... well, when you get tired of dying every 2 minutes for silly reasons, do yourself a favor and give that d-pad another serious shot.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
dark10x said:
No way.

Final is a good game and all, but the level designs are pretty hit or miss and the game is so loaded with slowdown that it nearly ruins the experience. Stage 3 is PAINFUL to play.

Gradius V is just amazing, however, and feels totally inspired. Of course, you pretty much have the worst tastes ever (outside of some hardcore Nintendo fans), so I'm not suprised you feel that way. :p

No man. Gradius V (at least the Euro version) is a slow and unexciting game. I loved the E3 build (very challenging), but the home version feels watered down and empty in comparrison. Gradius 3 is far superior IMO. As is R-Type Delta and Ikaruga. Anyone who thinks this is a classic has their fucking Konami specs on.

The power-up system is botched, a big mess. Maybe it made sense ten years ago, not anymore. Starting from the fact that your ship moves slower than a fucking slug and speed is reset every time you die. Therefore, the game is unfair and inherently flawed. I love its rhythm though, and from the 4th stage on level design is just incredible. Too bad it's unfair.

Never got past the 7th stage. Pisses me off.

boutrosinit said:
No man. Gradius V (at least the Euro version) is a slow and unexciting game. I loved the E3 build (very challenging), but the home version feels watered down and empty in comparrison. Gradius 3 is far superior IMO. As is R-Type Delta and Ikaruga. Anyone who thinks this is a classic has their fucking Konami specs on.
Eh? Just up the difficulty (very hard recommended, more enemies and bullets to dodge) and play the proper 60Hz NTSC version and you're all set.

This only proves that there are more then plenty legitimate contenders for the title of game of the year. I loved Gradius V, but will probably dig Snake Eater more so. Though more than Katamari? Hard to say...

Oh and yes, R Type Final sucked ass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
boutrosinit said:

What? The game is certainly not slow (though it isn't the fastest shooter around). It's much much faster than R-Type Final, though (which is what I was addressing).

I'm not actually a huge Gradius fan, to tell you the truth, but GV won me over. I never really got into Gradius III. I played it a bit after GV even, and I still don't like it. GV feels much faster as well...

I DO think R-Type Delta is extremely good, though, but I'm not really a huge Ikaruga fan. It's like "Shooter - The Puzzle Game"...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, I totally agree with the top post... GV is definitely the game of the year for me. It's the followup to Life Force I've waited for years for!

Ironclad

Gradius V is absolutely excellent. The gameplay is very tight, and the visuals are great. Sadly, it will be overlooked for GOTY because of all the over-hyped games coming out this year. Either way, GV is a must buy.

aku:jiki

djtiesto said:
Yeah, I totally agree with the top post... GV is definitely the game of the year for me. It's the followup to Life Force I've waited for years for!
Why didn't you just skip the waiting period and play Salamander 2?

dark10x said:
I'm not actually a huge Gradius fan, to tell you the truth, but GV won me over. I never really got into Gradius III. I played it a bit after GV even, and I still don't like it. GV feels much faster as well...
Did you ever get a chance to try Gradius Gaiden? If not, I think you should give it a shot some time. I feel it and G5 are the only playable Gradiuses, honestly. I respect the early ones for the role they played and all, and they do have their charm, but they are pretty unfair, mean and unfun nowadays.

aku:jiki said:
Did you ever get a chance to try Gradius Gaiden? If not, I think you should give it a shot some time. I feel it and G5 are the only playable Gradiuses, honestly. I respect the early ones for the role they played and all, and they do have their charm, but they are pretty unfair, mean and unfun nowadays.

Gradius Galaxies would like a word with you. It's a fun game, for a portable. Right now I am trying to see how far I can get on only one life.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Why didn't you just skip the waiting period and play Salamander 2?

I wanna try Gradius Gaiden.. but I've played Salamander 2, didn't really feel it was anything too special, levels were too short, though the graphics were nice.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion

Gradius Gaiden? Is that the SHITE one that came out on PS2 ages ago? And other Gradiuses unplayable? Are you stoned?

Gradius III is an excellent game. And very arcade-friendly in that it's built to be complete in one go (with plenty of practice) and even has secret levels you can find. I prefer it far more to GV, which although has some fantastic levels after the fourth is slower and can get stupid in places (like the level that moves faster than you if you don't have enough speed power ups).

Top Bottom