• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-ON!! Community |OT2| Ever Ever, Forever Shine!

What show?!
What have I missed?

Into month 4 at sea, and lawd, I want to go home. Even worse for the fact that when I do get home, I'll be there for maybe 2 weeks to a month, then back away for 6weeks to 2 months. I guess a change of ship won't be too bad. I'm uber mentally fatigued though.

Not. Enough. Anime. Out. Here.

The anime is called Free! It's a fujoshi show for fujoshi featuring males stripping every 2-3 minutes but it also has that adorable red head and a hot teacher. Too bad they don't strip. I haven't given up yet but I'm 2 episodes behind.

cajunator

Banned
They were bigger than I thought

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Back onto K-On..I managed to find the Ritsu Wonderland Lottery figure. :D It should arrive in the next week or so.

Yes Ma'am (`・ω・´)ゞ

I just squeed like crazy and bought this. Im holding you responsible Dave!

StayDead

PGUXdEb.jpg

more cuteness for cajun

There is a story behind your avatar and I would like to know it.
SWkIQsJ.png

It occurs to me that I should lurk less and post more. Do I pass the fan test?

u2uoaKV.jpg
Considering you have way more stuff than I do, I think you pass with flying colors.
Not that I'm the keeper of the thread or anything, just that I noticed a trend lately. I'd hate for this to escalate too far. A lot of the content just seemed like it was outside what the thread is about, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable posting that kind of stuff myself. But perhaps this is just me having to adjust to what the community used to be like, and what it has become, seeing as it was quite the humble thread. Ah, those halcyon days, which were little over a year ago!

A year ago you still hadn't finished the show yet! It's crazy how time flies. But I agree, tone it a down just a bit maybe. Don't want anyone to get banned in this thread.

Kazzy

why is she in that shoooow

Because she's the audience-surrogate! Everybody knows which way the shows bread is buttered, and it's a nice little conceit. She is a lot of fun! And, you know, like the most interesting character in Free!.

The show is a zero-investment thing, which is kind of nice, and it's nice to have the other side of the veil represented for a change, at least by KyoAni. I appreciate the manservice, but kind of hate how they depict the bodies, they're overly muscular, if there is such a thing. That said, I don't find the characters to be at all engaging (beyond probably, Gou), and the same goes for the narrative, so I'm not entirely sure if I will continue to watch.

Tamako Market suffered for me, because it showed glimmers of what that staff was capable of, but most of the time was content to play it relatively safe. Free! has even less of that, and it is becoming apparent that it's painfully mediocre.

Madao

i'm halfway into the College manga. some stuffs:

some people are gonna murder me for this but now that the 4 girls are just 4 like at the very start of the series, i'm liking it more than before. it feels like the first volume and that was one of my favorite parts.

the new girls are fun but they're a bit too similar to the regulars, especially Sachi which is a lot like Mio and Ayame which is a lot like Ritsu. they even get paired in the same classes. Yui paired with Akira feels a lot like how the exchanges between Azu-cat and Yui went but they're a bit more fun since Akira has all these quirks that embarass her when her friends tell the girls about them. her backstory is a change of pace given how this series has progressed.

Mugi's moments have been pretty funny so far. she's now showing her penny-pincher side with the cheap snacks and her reactions when the new girls were speculating that the other girls only hung out with Mugi for her money are fun to see. she also makes a joke that everyone falls for and she gets a present from the girls for all her support back in high school with the cakes and stuff (this would be one of those moments that would become one that makes everyone cry if it was adapted to Anime the way KyoAni does it)

Mio is still as shy as ever with her awkward moments. she's now going crazy with the whole getting fat thing. her talent was apparently what grew the most heh.

Yui is still same old Yui but now she's showing that she relied a lot on Ui. she has her typical moments and some of them even go crazy like when she had the fever. she's also going all deep asking why they're making music.

Ritsu is the same old Ricchan as well and she still teases mio and does her typical stuff.

overall this feels a lot like the early volumes but in a new setting. i'm still halfway so i need to finish to see what else goes on later. hopefully more screentime for Sachi and Ayame since they've had very little focus so far.

some fun facts: when i got the HTT miis in this thread a while back, i made different versions of some of the miis like hair-down Ritsu and picked-up-hair Mio. the thing that got me is that the same hair i chose for Mio showed up in the manga as one of her hairstyles with the hair picked up for class.
another fun fact is that, back before i knew about the college manga and had finished the anime, i thought having the girl's band face off against another band in college would be a good way to spice things up. guess what is a plot point in the manga?

well, that's it for now. more comments once i'm done.

Kazzy

I agree on what you have to say about the new additions to the cast, they're almost completely pointless, and are basically just mismatches of the other characters traits. Genericness should not be a desirable outcome for a character.

I agree on what you have to say about the new additions to the cast, they're almost completely pointless, and are basically just mismatches of the other characters traits.

Glad this appears to be a universal opinion. I was thinking the same thing.

Are there any new additions in the High School manga?

Kazzy

Glad this appears to be a universal opinion. I was thinking the same thing.

Well, I never really wanted to voice my opinion around the new manga until others had a chance to read it. I'll probably write something more substantial in the future, but my overall feelings on it? Disappointing.

I've never really held the manga in quite the same regard as I do the anime, but even so, I feel like it's clear to see that it never quite fulfills its potential.

Well, I never really wanted to voice my opinion around the new manga until others had a chance to read it. I'll probably write something more substantial in the future, but my overall feelings on it? Disappointing.

I look forward to reading it, I was also disappointed overall.

I've never really held the manga in quite the same regard as I do the anime, but even so, I feel like it's clear to see that it never quite fulfills its potential.

I prefer the manga over the anime. I found the humour to work better and had a generally more enjoyable experience with it.

For those of you heading for FFXIV but don't read the thread(s), I made a Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ffxiv-gaf/

Joined. Any date on when the last beta phase starts?

Kazzy

I prefer the manga over the anime. I found the humour to work better and had a generally more enjoyable experience with it.

I've never really liked the general 4koma format, not just with K-ON!

Also, I think it helps that the anime had the likes of KyoAni to imbue all that with their general level of craft, making it much more than the sum of its parts. I'm not going to lie about the fact that I probably wouldn't have entertained the thought of reading the manga, were it not for the anime. I just don't think it's good enough to sustain my interest on its own merits. Yes, the case can be made that it draws a lot from the source material, but I think it's clearly executed with a much more deft touch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oyster card holder!?

Well I must buy it now! Just google it to get an idea what it would look like. Two card sized sleeves hinged together.

Hi guys...so after saying I wouldn't disappear for the weekend I still did anyway, but I have an excuse! Whirlwind weekend trip to Ohio at the last minute for a cousin's wedding as that was likely going to be the only chance to see most of my family on my mom's side. Most of the the weekend was spent driving, and that was on top of my coach having me run 21 miles on Saturday. Basically I need a weekend from my weekend, but Otakon's in a few days so woohoo! and stuff.

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, just what's on this page, but being halfway through the college manga I can say I'm more or less indifferent to the new additions to the cast. They have helped produce a few good moments for the main cast so I can't say they are completely worthless.

Hi guys...so after saying I wouldn't disappear for the weekend I still did anyway, but I have an excuse! Whirlwind weekend trip to Ohio at the last minute for a cousin's wedding as that was likely going to be the only chance to see most of my family on my mom's side. Most of the the weekend was spent driving, and that was on top of my coach having me run 21 miles on Saturday. Basically I need a weekend from my weekend, but Otakon's in a few days so woohoo! and stuff.

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, just what's on this page, but being halfway through the college manga I can say I'm more or less indifferent to the new additions to the cast. They have helped produce a few good moments for the main cast so I can't say they are completely worthless.

Damn, 21 miles? Have fun at Otakon. Take pictures of all the Keions!

Go away Charlotte, Ran is the best IS girl!

tomorrow I should be back home around the afternoon and ill be able to post more often

Yay :D Hope the reunion was good :/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Damn, 21 miles? Have fun at Otakon. Take pictures of all the Keions!

Go away Charlotte, Ran is the best IS girl!

Yay :D Hope the reunion was good :/

it was really fun, went out on the party bus with some family and got super drunk xD the bus had a pole in it lol

it was really fun, went out on the party bus with some family and got super drunk xD the bus had a pole in it lol

That's good! and the bus with a pole is kinda weird >_<

Drum 'n' Bass

yCaYvUR.jpg

(Y)
Just realised that it says Honey moon and that is their wedding photo >_>

Also, as an aside, if I Google Search my username, almost all of the images that come up are K-On related. And, even then, a large portion of those are Mugi related.

I had to try this, and mine comes up with a mixture of Oreimo and K-On with some Juliet Starling.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's good! and the bus with a pole is kinda weird >_<

(Y)

I had to try this, and mine comes up with a mixture of Oreimo and K-On with some Juliet Starling.

it actually was the cause for alot of hilarious moments lol, i do have pictures on my facebook

Madao

well, i finished the college manga now.

it ends just like that. fin. it feels a bit like S1 ep 12 where they end the story after the big concert but without the teary moments since the manga plays things for laughs instead. Akira didn't even give up on the dude and everyone was like "what's up with that?"
there wasn't any backstory on Sachi or Ayame so they end up feeling rather shallow at the end. they got worse treatment than Mugi in the first book.
speaking of Mugi, she got probably the most moments out of the classic 4 girls. Yui also got a lot of moments, especially since she and Akira shared them often. Mio and Ritsu had rather low influence and were just there by the end and were just showing their usual traits.
i forgot to mention the club president of the college club but she acts like a younger Sawa-chan most of the time, even with the same kind of traits (fearing the old age and loving dress up). her partner only did like a couple of things in few pages overall.
Yui's visit to her home was funny because nothing turned out like she expected. there was a bit of Nodoka and Ui in that part but it was very short. Yui's mom also made an appearance.

at the end of it, i can see why the manga ended. it looked like there wasn't going to be much of a variation of how things progressed compared to the beginning of the first volume and the rest of the college could have turned out a lot like how the high school years went, especially since they're in a girls-only college, leaving out the chances of boyfriend drama and other things that could spice up things (though there was a moment where there's a hint that Ayame wanted to teach naughty things to Mugi...)

this could work as a movie if there's no plans for a S3. the length would be fine for that. lots of things were left open in case of a new anime were to be made so they could fill it with various things and, since it has no definitive end, they can make an anime ending but the ending S2 and the movie made already wrapped things up well.
this is a good way to scratch that itch of seeing more of the girls after graduation and works well as an epilogue to the series. the bad thing is that, if you want more, then you're out of luck since this is the farthest the story will ever get most likely.

now to wait how the high school side turns out with Jun, Ui and Azusa.

well, i finished the college manga now.

this could work as a movie if there's no plans for a S3. the length would be fine for that. lots of things were left open in case of a new anime were to be made so they could fill it with various things and, since it has no definitive end, they can make an anime ending but the ending S2 and the movie made already wrapped things up well.
this is a good way to scratch that itch of seeing more of the girls after graduation and works well as an epilogue to the series. the bad thing is that, if you want more, then you're out of luck since this is the farthest the story will ever get most likely.

now to wait how the high school side turns out with Jun, Ui and Azusa.

October!!! High school manga = more Jun
but no Ritsu ;_;

I think it will either be a three part OVA or a movie. There isn't enough to warrant a third series. Maybe 2 OVAs on college and 1 on High school.

Will post my views on the college manga this weekend hopefully.

So is Kakifly going to be one of those dudes who only writes one good thing ever and then vanishes into obscurity?

Yes.

Top Bottom