• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan-ts

Not really.. it got a lot of people, including me, into k-pop.
I stand corrected then. Gee was enough to keep me away from SNSD until Run Devil Run came out. Now I love the song but when I first started listening I found it to be incredibly childish. Maybe it's because of the type of people I'm surrounded by but I could not see anyone I know getting into K-Pop if their first song was Gee.

lunlunqq

Good for you, Ashhong.

Now I have a question, which songs are the best to use when I want to introduce SNSD to a westerner friend who knows nothing about kpop or the Asian culture in general? I also feel Genie is a better choice; while Gee may not be so. What else? Run Devil Run?

Niks

HQ Soshi

ifWYBjMyRhIC4.jpg
iBxROQzf8VdY6.jpg
ikshAF6Ra9Y7f.jpg

iAco3padeAE64.jpg
ib0PfryFeL8Ra2.jpg

ix6b89FWlmtUm.jpg
ipUMuCQTiCyAz.jpg

ibvXNlnBqHI7iX.jpg
ip1bgsRM3iPBg.jpg

Good for you, Ashhong.

Now I have a question, which songs are the best to use when I want to introduce SNSD to a westerner friend who knows nothing about kpop or the Asian culture in general? I also feel Genie is a better choice; while Gee may not be so. What else? Run Devil Run?

Great Escape, Mr. Taxi, The Boys... then Genie, RDR probably.

Their MTV Japan presentation was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATr-jnOsoxA

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Good for you, Ashhong.

Their performance at the VMAJ's. The Great Escape + Mr. Taxi

And the Music Core Helipad performance of Genie.

Those height/weight charts are mind blowing. I'm 6'3" and 220. Although, I remember when I was 6'3" and 165. Thooooose were the days. I need to get back there, although I have a shitton more muscle now.

Ranvier

Are songs like epic high 'fan' or 'one' considered Kpop? Those 2 were the first 2 Korean songs I heard. While I wasn't completely hooked I did think to myself that Korean was a cool language to rap in.

Then I heard MC mong's Indian boy and thought, alright this shit is kinda wierd and maybe a little racist. But soon after I saw Yuri in Gee and i was hooked.

Biscuits

Genie's what pulled me in, sexiest combination of song and dance and MV. Which is probably why they debuted with it in Japan before coming out with Gee.

Riverfield

Neo Member
What does the new 2AM material have to do with F.Scott Fitzgerald?

Supposedly the songs take motifs from The Great Gatsby. ʅ(´ー`)ʃ

They wanted a mature-sounding album title to go with their attempt at a more mature sound. I guess it works even if it's pretentious as all hell.

tumblr_m0hj41VRAi1qdcel5o1_500.gif

Genie's what pulled me in, sexiest combination of song and dance and MV. Which is probably why they debuted with it in Japan before coming out with Gee.

Me too. I was simply mesmerized by the MV and then the song was pretty great too. Then I kept following the rabbit hole and..... boom. Here we are

Ashhong

Gee is one of those songs only a K-Pop fan can like, if I let one of my friends listen to that song I'd never hear the end of it. Just be glad they didn't watch the music video along with the song (or did they?).

They did :) The guys actually didn't seem to mind it. They loved the girls haha.

wwlnd

Banned
·feist·;35992951 said:
wwlnd, look again. I switched the old 1,024px × 1,215px with a 3,065px × 3,639px version of that first pic.
yesss :D
Not sure if it's suitable as an inroductory song but I just discovered Destiny today and I've been listening to it on repeat so many times now. The first YA!!! and the first "you're my destiny" (taeyeon?) are so good!

Alta1r

I stand corrected then. Gee was enough to keep me away from SNSD until Run Devil Run came out. Now I love the song but when I first started listening I found it to be incredibly childish. Maybe it's because of the type of people I'm surrounded by but I could not see anyone I know getting into K-Pop if their first song was Gee.

Yeah, a bit too chipmunk-y and cute for me. I'm still not really a fan.

Good for you, Ashhong.

Might be cause it's still got that new car smell, but Time Machine is pretty spectacular. I can see that one working well, despite the goofy group scenes.

tumblr_m0twc7Qd7H1rpj4c0o1_500.jpg

Those height/weight charts are mind blowing. I'm 6'3" and 220. Although, I remember when I was 6'3" and 165. Thooooose were the days. I need to get back there, although I have a shitton more muscle now.

Lol, I remember when I was at 5'9" 125 back in sophomore year in high school. Even a bit later at 5'11" 150 people still called me a twig. I can't imagine 2PM being anywhere near that.

Alta1r

If they're not predisposed to liking kpop stuff I'd argue that every song on their first two full length albums are like that. Otherwise, I don't think snsd is a bad way to introduce people to kpop at all. If you do it by showing them mvs, that is.

Gotta start with the gifs. Especially that Taengoo from the SNSD - SNSD MV gif. It's like the path to the dark side. Gifs lead to videos, videos lead to music, music leads to variety and full-born kpop addiction.

snsd.gif

Are songs like epic high 'fan' or 'one' considered Kpop? Those 2 were the first 2 Korean songs I heard. While I wasn't completely hooked I did think to myself that Korean was a cool language to rap in.

Then I heard MC mong's Indian boy and thought, alright this shit is kinda wierd and maybe a little racist. But soon after I saw Yuri in Gee and i was hooked.

Lol, racist? I want to hear this. Link me.

tumblr_m0too417aD1qaxdv9o4_500.gif

Sealda

Banned
1. "Rip off" 2:58
Worst song of the new six songs. It makes sense having it as number 1 though, its a" in your face"- "hard working" song. Not really a filler, more of a statement.

2. "Rambling girls" 3:30
No one brings the sexi like Kahi and After School. Raina done right. The album needs one of these songs and the MV is where its all at.

3. "BROKEN HEART" (feat. Jung-A, Raina, Nana & E-Young) 3:20
One of the best new songs. Heavy metal guitar meets K-pop club pop in a good way. Full of surprises and excitement.

4. "Diva" (Japanese Version) 3:21
The japanese version is a new remix but the original korean version is better but the japanese sounds harder and more modern. The video is teh hotness. ...*Hnnnnng*

5. "Just in time" 3:29
Melodic masterpiece:) A quite unsurprising chorus but it definitely works!

6. "Shampoo" (Japanese Version) 4:39
One of the best k-pop songs of 2011. The JAP version is weaker and the chorus is a bit silly with the english! "I wanna be your shampoo"...

7. "Because of You" (Japanese Version) 4:07
Yet again a remix. Cred to Pledis for not just translating korean to japanese, sadly this is an inferior version to the original.

8. "Gimme Love" 3:39
INSANE intro. Okay, this is what melodies is all about. Surprisingly all through and when it comes to melodies, i love surprises!

9. "Miss Futuristic" (feat. Kahi, Juyeon, Uie & Lizzy) 3:08
Great Perfume-ish tune. Got tons of melody!

10. "Bang!" (Japanese Version) 3:20
The Japanese Bang version is better than the korean. It is more listenable! It is not just about the drumming and live performance like the korean!

11. "Tell me" 4:10
The last song is the albums only ballad. Its a full After School song! No solo or triple effort, which is good. Its a forgettable but acceptable pop ballad. It never goes for the boring, slow, slow "beautiful" ballad theme. Its more like a pop-RnB scheme. Kinda like Rip Off, i will not really listen to it, but i think it fits within the album!

Conclusion:

Playgirlz is a really solid album and in general its better than SNSDs JAP album because its all through really good songs. However, it lacks any real "new" mega hit like Shampoo was for their korean "album". Then again, Virgin was a much worse album outside the hit Shampoo. Damn, Gimme Love, Miss Futuristic and Broken Heart will be played on repeat for a week now!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gotta start with the gifs. Especially that Taengoo from the SNSD - SNSD MV gif. It's like the path to the dark side. Gifs lead to videos, videos lead to music, music leads to variety and full-born kpop addiction.
So gifs are kpop zygotes... so tumblr is obviously a huge kpop orgy!

Suzy's got dem logs legs
Unless they have a way of magically making her legs shrink on stage, that is just a bad angle/shopped.

LPc1w.jpg

XHudC.jpg

Qxei2.jpg

ajEb2.jpg

Would the hose really do that much? Where would it all go? Her ass isn't that big, lol.

Channeling Kim Sarang:

c9HDF.png

Alta1r

So gifs are kpop zygotes... so tumblr is obviously a huge kpop orgy!

I meant to say full-blown* kpop addiction, but tumblr is definitely a huge kpop orgy, lol.

Unless they have a way of magically making her legs shrink on stage, that is just a bad angle/shopped.

Looks like the same legs, but without that other woman (a full head shorter than Suzy) to compare to, Suzy's legs look normal. Suzy's supposedly 5'6", I wonder if she's a bit taller. She just seems like a bigger (read: not fatter) person.

tumblr_m0t282oqlg1r9lfpfo2_250.gif
tumblr_m0t282oqlg1r9lfpfo5_250.gif

luso

Mnet or SM?
It is a biographical movie of SM stars. Don't know the plot (if any), something with personal interviews, behind the scenes, concerts footage.

luso

Ok, produced by Mnet, SM partenership.
To squeeze more $ from fans I suppose (and self-promotion as "we are the best").

ryan-ts

Tried drawing IU again. Turned out kinda meh... I'll do another one in the future >__>

My first reaction was "holy crap that looks amazing" and then I read your comment. I guess if your goal is absolute 100% perfection then maybe it just looks good.

Sealda

Banned
usually i dont like kahi too much but DAMN at her in this old after school performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCp6Hkvezc&hd=1

kahi and the schoolerates

That is cray...Kahi at her physical peak for sure.

Thats their first round of performances. So different from how they are now!

Kahi is such a powerhouse. I am pretty sure, she is behind much of AS decisions and therefore greatness. I bet she do a lot of the choreography, recruitment, development and overall acts like a hard-lined tiger mom for AS.

Thread gets lurked so hard, it's kinda comical. Wonder which of these two segments is more pronounced:

- here to source material for blog(s)
- here chiefly for the "hot girl" element

Right, then...

192096404F5A388F195F92
1641604C4F5A35E0246F0E
1641604C4F5A35DF230BC6

1941604C4F5A35DB20FF6E
2041604C4F5A35DB21FA50
1141604C4F5A35DB227FB2

132096404F5A388C16E0FB
172096404F5A38901B15A7
152096404F5A388D170C7A

1141604C4F5A35E425A693
1641604C4F5A35E826C0B9
1641604C4F5A35EA2794AB

192096404F5A388A14054B
172096404F5A388F1A6CBA
182096404F5A388A139180

Have at it

magenta

Kahi is 31, she has been in the business for a lot longer than the rest of the group. It is easy to see that her experience guides After School.

Which reminds me, when is the next Orange Caramel promotion? I want Nana back.

Subitai

·feist·;36001635 said:
Thread gets lurked so hard, it's kinda comical. Wonder which of these two segments is more pronounced:

- here to source material for blog(s)
- here chiefly for the "hot girl" element

Right, then...
I admit to lurking less than I should.

+1 for Yoona stealling Time Machine music vid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom