• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize this was a wall of text until I finished throwing it together. No, really. Feel free to ignore the post entirely, or read and ridicule.

So, with that -- random musings, observations, and rhetorical Qs from a non-regular.

- Dangerous Boys: Could possibly put off the more conservative viewership? One wears lip gloss, and two others slept/spent time in the same bed together on the 1st (2nd?) night. Those two have also been extra close on ~2-3 occasions, with one resting his head in the others lap, more than once. I've seen some conservative types go haywire over less, even if the show is supposed to be at least somewhat provocative, in parts. Then again, I guess (???) there isn't too much made of things like hosts, and singers cross-dressing for laughs.

- 2NE1: Bom is secretly 50, right? Why else would one do that to themselves when they actually used to look decent at one point. Seems she's going for something of that doll-like look that someone like Tiffany has naturally, and actually looks good with. Just crazy how popular some of these procedures are becoming with girls, in their teens and twenties, of various nationalities.

- Davichi: Better singers than a number of folks' favorite acts, but they don't seem to get acknowledged much as, apart from visual appeal (and some uptempo hits here and there), they aren't seen as hip by many.

- Orange Caramel: I have about zero interest in After School, but think OC is one of the best things going. Funny how that works sometimes with side projects. For me, the same dynamic applies to Postal Service > Death Cab, for instance. Could be that After School has never connected with me, for whatever reason. Bunch of pretty girls singing music I don't care about... like 4-Minute, or Rania. May need to give AF another chance, but until then: Pass.

- Sistar: Considering Hyorin will sing circles around her, Bora isn't nearly hot enough to be as average of an "MC" as she is. CL, Miyro, Zinger, etc. are far better; rookie/junior, or not. She strikes me as being in that rung or two above Tiffany-level, where Woori and other gimmick "MCs" reside. Would be good if she progresses rhyme wise and vocally. I presume there's a fair amount of ghost-writing going on in some of these cases.

- Secret: I wonder if they'd perform as well as they do if Hyosung weren't in the group, causing the rest to raise their game a few extra percentage points. Replace her with someone like Taeyeon, or, better, Jiyeon and I'm certain they wouldn't be as good. High up on the list of Juniors, although "Madonna" is "Bo Peep" levels of painful.

- T-ara: Should be more popular than they are..? Better, more consistent material would help. "Roly Poly" has its place, but "Bo Peep" just isn't a good song - hit at home and abroad, or not. The primary four (trio+Soyeon) deserve better than that. I'd ask why two of the remaining three are even in the group, but I'm not up for fending off multiple defense forces.

- KARA: Only in recent months did I even bother to notice how tailor made they are for success in Japan. Nearly everything from their name (ease of pronunciation, no translation needed), sound, and looks, to general demeanor/disposition works. Factor in how, as a collective, their Japanese is among the best of any Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese/Sing/Thai/etc. celebs, and that they usually don't resort to offensive "this is how Japanese people talk, and act" hijinks, and they're pretty much golden on that front. If Rainbow were to cut out the weirdness, they could also be in that realm. Although, "A" is so huge, no one seems to care either way.

- Korean Hip-Hop: Apart from Tablo/Epik and a few others, it tends to be hard to listen to, or watch. Often more derivative than some modern K-Pop (no small feat), while regularly veering into caricatures of the root music and cultures it so heavily borrows from. Spare me the mean mugs, mannerisms, ad-libs and subject matter you learned from watching various Viacom networks. If listeners don't have a solid foundation in, or proper understanding of the source music/cultures, I think it'd be hard to be fully forthright about the outside influences.

- Rainbow: Something, something, Ji Sook. That is all... Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing the sub-group doing folk music, ballads, or something experimental. Just avoid being zany 2NE1, or over-sexed 4-Minute copies, and no loli schoolgirl nonsense.

- BEG: Need to put out more tunes, more frequently, and I hope they don't get discouraged by their advancing ages. Soloists can go on forever, but it's usually different for most groups, especially in youth-obsessed genres. Anyway, the album wasn't that great, but I'm cool with more "Cleansing Cream," and "Sixth Sense"-like tracks, and performances.

- IU: Endearingly offbeat, and self-effacing. Solid across the board, and she's simply more interesting than a lot of solo, or group acts. Strangely enough, while I don't suspect that she smokes weed or does much of anything else, really, it wouldn't completely surprise me to learn that she has tried dust/e/shrooms/acid/salvia, or other. Either as part of the artistic process, or just for the hell of it.

- Hyuna: Good performer, though sexier when she's actually clothed. Either way, looks and sex appeal only go so far, career wise. Not like she's Hyori-tier, so she could certainly stand to improve her craft in other areas, and/or rely less on "sexy" as a default function.

- Wonder Girls: One of the best albums of the year, and they got steam rolled by drivel. Goes to show that talent, and "product" alone aren't good enough in a number of cases. And, no, just like "The Boys," the lead single isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Cross between 1980s pop, and 50s/60s music. If it sounds like a holiday track, that would be largely due to a number of Christmas tunes either stemming from that general era, or being partially re-imagined in that era (from older originals). Sohee is under-appreciated, but it's hard to get attention when you're in a group where two of your fellow members are better singers (in two languages, no less) than most of K-Pop.

- SNSD: Speaking of drivel... As bad as the album was, the title track is much better than people give it credit for. Even if some disagree on it being a good song, it's hard to deny that it just works live. Choreo for nine people, where none of them are bg dancers isn't easy either. As for popularity, that is easy. They're extremely high up on that "best" list. It isn't a matter of fans being sheep, and simply following what's most popular. I don't get the hate, some things are undeniable. Yeah, half the group can't sing worth a damn, but the whole is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. There aren't a lot of current K-Pop acts with SNSD's global appeal, and ability to draw in fans, no matter what they're doing, saying, or singing.

If nothing else, think of the above as a momentary change of pace from the standard 80-pics-and-gifs-per-page of Taeyeon, and Yoona.

Salazar

Mostly pretty correct. I think Bom is capable, in flashes, of looking ok - more because her body still rocks while her face mummifies.

You're right that Sookie is totally capable of doing something acoustic-backed and folky.

suji1507wmz63w6o.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jisook already showed that she was amazing for acoustic/folk on Director's Cut. All the songs she did were great.

She strikes me as being in that rung or two above Tiffany-level, where Woori and other gimmick "MCs" reside.
Take it back. Woori is WAY better than Bora.

·feist·;33764328 said:
- 2NE1: Seems she's going for something of that doll-like look that someone like Tiffany has naturally, and actually looks good with.

Funny you should mention that, because Tiffany's face has recently been turning into Park Bom's..

Tiffany
kTa8K.jpg

Park Bom
q1E7h.jpg

Niks

·feist·;33764328 said:
- Dangerous Boys: Could possibly put off the more conservative viewership? One wears lip gloss, and two others slept/spent time in the same bed together on the 1st (2nd?) night. Those two have also been extra close on ~2-3 occasions, with one resting his head in the others lap, more than once. I've seen some conservative types go haywire over less, even if the show is supposed to be at least somewhat provocative, in parts. Then again, I guess (???) there isn't too much made of things like hosts, and singers cross-dressing for laughs.

Noticed that, went WTF. Is that normal male skinship(?) in Korea?
Even if it were normal, didnt they all just met each other? Either way, lulzy.

Taeyeons/Seohyuns guy seems like the only one that genuinely doesn't want to be there.

Alta1r

·feist·;33764328 said:

Huh. So that stuff's not cool in Korea? I noticed the sleeping and the lap thing and figured it was one of those things that Americans get squeamish about but isn't a big deal there. Like some immigrant cultures here that seem okay with a lot of physical contact, especially between kids or family members, that the average American would start squirming about.

·feist·;33764328 said:
- T-ara: Should be more popular than they are..? Better, more consistent material would help. "Roly Poly" has its place, but "Bo Peep" just isn't a good song - hit at home and abroad, or not. The primary four (trio+Soyeon) deserve better than that. I'd ask why two of the remaining three are even in the group, but I'm not up for fending off multiple defense forces.

Lol. Don't worry, nobody knows why Boram and Hwayoung are in the group.

·feist·;33764328 said:
- Rainbow

Needs more Jaekyung.

·feist·;33764328 said:
- Wonder Girls

Needs more Yubin. And should have managed their comeback better, namely by not timing it to be the same time as Soshi, lol.

·feist·;33764328 said:
If nothing else, think of the above as a momentary change of pace from the standard 80-pics-and-gifs-per-page of Taeyeon, and Yoona.

tumblr_lwtbaucZMB1qzjgbno1_500.gif

tumblr_lwtbcdRflX1qzjgbno1_500.gif

Alta1r

That's totally out of line. Tiffany's face can move.

sJKhv.gif

Lol. Did Bom get Botox'd up or something?

In other news, I NEED the last two parts of the DB episode. Taenacity, get crackin!
This time they picked a leader and decided their pre-performance motto/chant, lol, they're definitely forming a boy band.
Soo/Fany's boy has been annoying in this episode so far.
Wtf was that "watch out, you might die in your sleep" crap? They should have beat his ass for that.
Yoong's boy is kind of lame in this episode too. The episode needs more Soshi overall. There's been barely any Sica or Taengoo, although Yoong was stunning as usual and Yoong+Hyo team is pretty awesome.

tumblr_lwsr6j9Vds1r12i8n.jpg

tumblr_lwsoyrr4lR1qbktr1o1_250.gif
tumblr_lwsoyrr4lR1qbktr1o2_250.gif

tumblr_lwsoyrr4lR1qbktr1o3_250.gif
tumblr_lwsoyrr4lR1qbktr1o4_250.gif

projekt84

Korean men are more touchy feely with each other than you are probably used to. It's just a cultural thing. And it's apparently not weird for them to sleep in the same bed.

filler

Banned
All these kids on Dangerous Boys already knew each other as trainees. This show is just promotion for SM's new boy group.

ramyeon

·feist·;33764328 said:
- Davichi: Better singers than a number of folks' favorite acts, but they don't seem to get acknowledged much as, apart from visual appeal (and some uptempo hits here and there), they aren't seen as hip by many.

- Korean Hip-Hop: Apart from Tablo/Epik and a few others, it tends to be hard to listen to, or watch. Often more derivative than some modern K-Pop (no small feat), while regularly veering into caricatures of the root music and cultures it so heavily borrows from. Spare me the mean mugs, mannerisms, ad-libs and subject matter you learned from watching various Viacom networks. If listeners don't have a solid foundation in, or proper understanding of the source music/cultures, I think it'd be hard to be fully forthright about the outside influences.
Davichi are really popular. Maybe not here but they top charts and have hugely popular hits under their belts.

As for the hip hop, I'm guessing your experience and listening pool of Korean rap/hip hop isn't much broader than the really popular stuff...

good for tiff

we can all learn from Bom

For me, Bom has the sexy look, but doesn't have the sexy attitude to match it.

Studio version of The Boys JP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Q9kSFDilQ

I'm wondering if their Japanese pronunciation really as bad as people make out?

I was curious about this, so I asked my friend who I knew in Tokyo if their pronunciation was weird in any way. She more or less said "No, not at all." I would say Japanese is a contextual language with very few, very distinct sounds, and thus little subtlety is necessary to speak it with correct pronunciation, especially compared to languages like Arabic, Chinese, or French.

Fafnir

Hehe, the Korean male skinship kind of freaked me out back in the day, but yeah it's socially acceptable in Korea whereas in America they would be branded homosexual.

Now this SuJu shit where they kiss I can't explain.

CIZPx.gif

Salazar

IGyo2.gif

For reference, regarding the Dangerous Boys are secretly an SM boy group thing, here is a member of SM's new boy group, EXO.

6z3CD.jpg

Fafnir

Is that on stage? And they're supposedly straight?

Yeah supposedly. Pretty sure they did it on stage and on variety shows, Heechul was the main one doing it and wondered why later on people thought he was gay. First time I saw Heechul before knowing anything about the kissing I thought he was homo.

bXtrz.jpg

Niks

Korean men are more touchy feely with each other than you are probably used to. It's just a cultural thing. And it's apparently not weird for them to sleep in the same bed.

Figured as much.
But even so, these "dangerous" kids acting cool, thinking they are being rebels drinking and smoking... only to sleep on each others lap/bed...
Way to loose your street cred.
:lol

Anyways, just finished watching the japan first tour girls generation bluray.
The video quality is really good, looks great on 1080p. Black levels are solid, with little graining and great detail. Audio is awesome too. It is really a shame the solo songs were not included, it would have been perfect. Still, very recommended.

Salazar

Alta1r said:
Didn't know you were a cricket fan Sal.

A fan of test cricket, and, more specifically, of godlike Indian batting and Australian humiliation. Both of which are potentially on offer this afternoon.

rrodc.gif
EcJUy.gif

16did.gif

cby96.gif
0OA9i.gif

ezWrU.gif
wCTgm.gif

Alta1r

LOL, this is great:
YMFuU.png

And true. Taengoo takes the edge off of whatever Seohyun's saying just like a mom. Too bad Yoong was gone. Probably off shooting some more Love Rain. Fany's kid still seems like a little b*tch, I'm not a fan.

Take it back. Woori is WAY better than Bora.
I will, because you're right, and I actually know better. I was a bit foggy when I punched up some of those comments. Won't be running to buy any solo work from her, but I actually kinda like Woori. Even when she's whining, or acting like a granny. Oddly appealing sometimes. Sometimes.

Funny you should mention that, because Tiffany's face has recently been turning into Park Bom's..

Tiffany
http://i.imgur.com/kTa8K.jpg
Park Bom
http://i.imgur.com/q1E7h.jpg
Please, no. If that day ever came, there wouldn't be enough liquor in the world to pour out.

Needs more Jaekyung.
I'm not really big on her; musically, superficially, or otherwise. She isn't bad by any means, just hasn't registered with me.

Despite what I was getting at earlier, it isn't even the cultural aspect so much as what Niks mentioned above. "You know how I just met you five minutes ago? Well, here's me resting my head three inches away from your business." Dunno, guess I'd just expect boys that age to be more standoffish, or image-conscious than children, or grown men. Again, mainly due to having seemingly just met. Although, reality TV is hard to gauge with how much may have come beforehand, in pre-production, or events being spliced out of order. If anything, I think it's refreshing that you find so many countries not subscribing too greatly to some of the more puritanical views in areas like this.

Davichi are really popular. Maybe not here but they top charts and have hugely popular hits under their belts.

As for the hip hop, I'm guessing your experience and listening pool of Korean rap/hip hop isn't much broader than the really popular stuff...
I get that they're very popular, but It seems that they aren't exactly looked at as cool, hip, or "edgy" like some of the other groups who garner more attention. Not that that's exactly necessary, or that they're even going for that. Only, it could be limiting their appeal a bit, at home and elsewhere... or, I'm simply on about nothing.

I've listened to hip-hop in various languages for several years now (English, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, and so on), and it's a vibe I don't quite get as often with some of those other nationalities. While I won't pretend to be a decades-long Korean hip-hop aficionado, I think I've gotten a semi-decent mix of underground, and commercial stuff under my belt. I don't mean any offense, and I'm always open to recommendations.

SuJu fans go insane for it.There's social conservatism and there's business.
Figured this would play some role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom