• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT3| HHHNNNGGG (JYP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubster68

Sup
tumblr_m7vv5h4aHj1qdvgnqo1_500.jpg

Peru

The "compelling evidence" that there's been a tradition of bullying Hwayoung in T-ara is completely silly. You can find hundreds of examples of every girl group member being playfully 'bullied' by her co-members.

Olympics edition.. volleyball.. 193 cm

201012010839372278_1.jpg

W_Dreamer

T-ara is like the only group that makes me think the success of the Idol world is not worth the baggage that comes with it.

Remember TTS's happiness graphs on that radio show? What would T-ara's look like I wonder?

Tenck

Awesome link, except it's auto-muted for me and I can't turn the sound on. Still a great watch with the song playing in the background in another tab.

This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by YG Entertainment Inc.. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright

There you go.

Edit:
The comments of this T-ara performance are o_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhgI5NJrHg

I am not sure they'll recover from this.

Oh look everyone starts bitching about everything for some fuck up. How fast the fans turn on their idols. What a joke.

vanty

Are YG's uploads of Inkigayo performances blocked or muted in Korea as well? Or is it just because this is an unofficial fan upload?

siuman231

Neo Member
feel kinda sad to the t-ara situation, the media can blow anyone up.

even if KKS dismisses the rumor tomorrow it's too late already.

dokish

Banned
So I just spent an hour eating pizza, watching Hello Baby with my Asian girl. Living the dream?

Is she asian? That's the only way to truly live the dream.

I was watching yesterday too! But without the pizza and the asian girlfriend. :(

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to double post.
EDIT2: WHAT. I could swear you wrote just 'girlfriend' instead of Asian girl. Maybe I'm crazy.

Well, she's asian. Fist bump, bro!

And the controversy continues:

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2012/07/t-ara-performs-on-inkigayo-sans.html

They had to prerecord everything because of the pro-Hwayoung fanchant people had prepared. It looks like the entire fandom has turned on the rest of the group and is supporting Hwayoung at this point. I really don't know how KKS will be able to lie or threaten his way out of this one.
What pre-recorded means? Already recorded and the members are still in backstage till the end of the show?

EDIT3: I'm watching again the infamous performance of Day By Day and... ever crossed your minds that maybe this is the CEO fault?

CEO: Yo Hyomin, you are the best replace for Hwa since she can't perform
Hyomin: B-B-BUT [reasons, reasons, reasons...]
CEO: Shut up, I don't even wanna know. You are doing this and my word is final. If you are not happy you can kiss your career goodbye. Leave.
Hyomin: *cries* and gets angry at Hwa instead of the CEO. All the girls support Hyomin and get angry at Hwa too, instead of REALIZE that the true person to be angry at is the CEO.

EDIT4: I'm going crazy thinking about this, lol

http://youtu.be/3YfeNCr8fMA

WHO'S THE PERSON CLOSE TO HYOMIN WHEN SHE FELL ?!? IF IT IS HWA, OMFG, SHE PUT HER FOOT IN FRONT OF HYOMIN AND THIS IS WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT !!!

(I can't distinguish Eunjung and Hwayoung yet. They look similar - don't hate me!)

watershed

Banned
So my foray into kpop continues. Thanks for all the previous recommendations, I've listened to every single one and I've come to some conclusions. I'm not big on the boy bands but I haven't given up yet. So, can some kpop veterans link me their idea of the best boy band songs? I wanna give it a good go before I write off boy bands completely. The only boy band songs I like so far are "Stand by Me", "Fantastic Baby", about half of "Mama", and "Again and Again".

Second, I think I like "Alone" by Sistar because the song is damn sexy. Something about the song just clicks. Can someone rec me some songs with a similar vibe? Thanks again for helping to usher me into kpop.

dokish

Banned
So my foray into kpop continues. Thanks for all the previous recommendations, I've listened to every single one and I've come to some conclusions. I'm not big on the boy bands but I haven't given up yet. So, can some kpop veterans link me their idea of the best boy band songs? I wanna give it a good go before I write off boy bands completely. The only boy band songs I like so far are "Stand by Me", "Fantastic Baby", about half of "Mama", and "Again and Again".

Second, I think I like "Alone" by Sistar because the song is damn sexy. Something about the song just clicks. Can someone rec me some songs with a similar vibe? Thanks again for helping to usher me into kpop.

Not Korean, but... Arashi - Love So Sweet // Arashi - One Love

Awful video quality/performance but I can't find any videos on Youtube... that's odd.

Korean:

NU'EST - FACE
BEAST - Fiction

I'm not sure if it is the same vibe that Alone, but... similar I think?

Brown Eyed Girls - There Is No Man

Peru

Eh..really? I would feel the same in her place. "I'm talking to you because I'm attracted to your race" is not very appealing.

dokish

Banned
Wow, what a giant toss bag. Almost as sad as the girl who was trying to convince me all about 'Japanese Culture' at a Anime Convention in Wan Chai :\

I don't see the problem mentioned by Dice.

I mean, if people have asian girlfriends they can brag about it. (Not in the negative way). What's so shameful about this? I mean, if you want an asian girl, that is good for her, right? She's desired, wanted, treated with care, tenderness and etc. If you like something, is expected to treat it well.

If an american girl says she is "living the dream" with a man that has great body, is kind to her, have great job, takes her on great restaurants and trips... she should faceplam herself? Obviously no. We all wanna date "types" of people with certain traits that we love and cherish.

Caucasian women can say they are "living the dream" dating a man with "no strings attached", just for the fun and the sex, without worrying about being a slut, living the "feminist fantasy".

Caucasian young adults can say they are "living the dream" because they found asian women so beautiful and exotic, and they like being around their partner.

Eh..really? I would feel the same in her place. "I'm talking to you because I'm attracted to your race" is not very appealing.

Well, that's only creep for asian I suppose.

A lot of people are attracted to black women/men... I never saw a black person complain that someone said "I love your skin color" or something. Sure sure, the guy probably is a Naruto creepy that approached in a very wrong way... but you know what I mean. Her case is in minimal number compared to the "people who truly admire asian beauty".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So my foray into kpop continues. Thanks for all the previous recommendations, I've listened to every single one and I've come to some conclusions.
Did you really check out everything by Kara? -_^

I'm not big on the boy bands but I haven't given up yet. So, can some kpop veterans link me their idea of the best boy band songs?
As for guy groups, Beast is the best. Their Fiction & Fact album is the best and they just came out with a new mini which is also really good. Infinite is a close second for best group.

Big Bang - 재미없어 http://youtu.be/G5cv3iaEc64
Big Bang - Bad Boy http://youtu.be/1qnV55LUFVM

Boyfriend - I'll be there http://youtu.be/CipF26oiY54?hd=1

Infinite - Come Back Again http://youtu.be/Hi54WjHr-DA
Infinite - Be Mine http://youtu.be/tqC8AmuZuLI
Infinite - The Chaser - http://youtu.be/RTXmhKapmCI

And... HAVE YA SEEN JYP?

No Love No More - http://youtu.be/O2y6i11LO1c
You're the One http://youtu.be/Ezqn0DV3dqk

DXPett1

The more I read that the more I am confused what exactly you are talking about...

EDIT: Never mind, I get it now. In all honesty, if that is what is going through your head when you are having a conversation with someone, CONFIDENCE PROBLEM

I don't see the problem mentioned by Dice.

Cheers Dokish but don't bother. It was a throw-away line meant as a joke and commentary on what some people in this thread talk about. Race doesn't mean shit, I say that as a white person who walks around in a Asian country constantly getting stared at, both good and bad.

pjApO.png

Pretty much sums up the Hwayoung/T-ARA crap

Dice

Caucasian young adults can say they are "living the dream" because they found asian women so beautiful and exotic, and they like being around their partner.
Reading this, I don't even know how to explain it to you. Well, I probably do, but it would take a long time and would be better done by someone who is Asian.

dokish

Banned
Reading this, I don't even know how to explain it to you. Well, I probably do, but it would take a long time and would be better done by someone who is Asian.

I have the time. :p

If this was a thread about movies and he didn't post the 'asian' and only 'girlfriend', there will be no problem. But because he said she's asian, NOW there is a problem?

I think I get it what you're trying to say. I agree that is weird and creepy people relating to you because you are specific ASIAN and wanna know if you are deep in the ASIAN CULTURE, if you are 'kawaii~', if you watch animes, do cosplay and this kind of stuff. But come on... People who are looking for this are usually 14-16 yr old teenager boys. Not grown up men.

Sounds like you're saying that everyone that likes an asian woman and IT ISN'T asian likes it for 'shameful' reasons...

Obviously the "living the dream" maybe have an different meaning there in US. But I only used "living the dream" because the OP used it. For me, "living the dream" only means "I'm happy with things the way they are and wouldn't change a thing".

Some people like blonds, brunettes, people with glasses, people with blue eyes, people that are short, people that are tall, people that are chubby, people that are skinny... and there's people who likes asian people, or black people, or indian people, or latino. Like I said, this is a teenager thing.

No one will come to a latino woman and say: "OH MY! Do you dance Flamenco? Say something hot for me in SPANISH! What part of you are spanish? Do you like Penelope Cruz?" - That's really dumb.

watershed

Banned

Interesting how that quote feature works. I'm asian, maybe I should try explaining it to myself.

When people say they are attracted to people from a particular race what they're saying most of the time is that they are attracted to the physical characteristics that are more prominent in people of that race than others. There's nothing wrong with that on its face and I don't think people can be faulted for who they like or what visual characteristics they're attracted to.

The person in the link that started this conversation just presented himself very poorly. But people do tend to do that when the topic is race and ethnicity. As an asian man I have occasionally grown tired of being asked "what are you?" or "what kind of asian are you?". Its not a bad question but some tact is required to make it sound right to my ears.

2San

The person in the link that started this conversation just presented himself very poorly. But people do tend to do that when the topic is race and ethnicity. As an asian man I have occasionally grown tired of being asked "what are you?" or "what kind of asian are you?". Its not a bad question but some tact is required to make it sound right to my ears.
Funny how things works, I prefer people asking what I am. I'm South Asian, I'd rather have people ask what my ethnicity is rather than making assumptions.

Sure, "what are you", isn't really the nicest way to ask, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

watershed

Banned
Funny how things works, I prefer people asking what I am. I'm South Asian, I'd rather have people ask what my ethnicity is rather than making assumptions.

Sure, "what are you", isn't really the nicest way to ask, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I agree, I said there's nothing wrong with the question and I prefer people ask rather than assume but sometimes the question sounds wrong and sometimes it sounds right.

Dice

Okay let me think of how to put this...

People are individuals, first and foremost. What makes them interesting and great to to be with is who they are. "Who they are" comprises many, many things. At first, only a few things are known to you, but you don't take or speak of those things as the whole. You appreciate them passively as you continue getting to know the person and discover all that they are.

This goes for cultures in general as well, which is why a person comes off as a total asshat when they run their mouth about anime or kpop or whatever. Yes, those are products of Asian culture, but there is thousands of years more to it, the very heart of a people and every aspect of their lives and character. Furthermore, while there are some broader aspects you can refer to as "Asian culture," each country has it's own, and each individual finds a personal bond to that of their own country.

So when you speak in such ways as the original post, even if you have invested the time into rightly appreciating the culture and your girlfriend in depth and truth of character, the phrasing itself overgeneralizes and characterizes. In verbally attempting to reduce what cannot be reduced, it only appears to be representative of a small perspective. A perspective that does not only fail to appreciate and respect the whole of a person and culture, but to treat what little part that is recognized as a novelty.

In this way, appreciating Asian girls in exoticism (not saying that is DXPett1, but that post had the tone) is very similar to objectifying women sexually. If you have a very attractive girlfriend, of course you're going to be happy about it, but you don't go online posting pictures of her saying "hey guys, check out my hot girlfriend, living the dream!" because, even though they would agree it is nice to have a hot girlfriend, she is yet still a person and should be presented and spoken of with more respect for the whole of who she is.

So generally, it is best to appreciate with simplicity. If you have merely experienced an Asian culture and found your preferences swayed to it, and it really is just a difference of preferences, then it's not a goal or a checklist of personal acquisition and experience. You don't have the mind of an 1800s British colonist on an African safari, you're a person of the 21st century with one cultural background sharing their life with people from another cultural background. If it's simply your life, then reporting back to "your people" about the Asian-ness of what you're doing is a bit off.

dokish

Banned
This is exactly my thoughts too, Dice. Only difference is that I didn't take the OP that seriously. I believe this is a place people can relax and hang out and talk about asian universe as a whole without worrying too much.

My post ("is she asian? fist bump!") was a joke and a hyperbole. I'm sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom