• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT3| HHHNNNGGG (JYP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

Someone mentioned Answer to 1997 in this thread so I went and watched it... Didn't like it at all. I mean, the pilot doesn't make clear what this show is about. The characters lack charisma, the show lacks humor, there are 0 jokes, characters screams all the time... ugh. 42 minutes about teenage girl screaming because of a K-pop boyband.

K-dramas are usually pretty bad (Japanese ones are much better), but after watching The King 2 Hearts I thought I could give dorama a second chance.

Any recommendations about sad/thoughtful doramas?

Also, question for native english speakers...

Often I see "twat" meaning something (that I think it is) like "dorky", "goofy", "pathetic", "stupid", etc.

But I also see people saying that it is a bad word for women... similar to bitch and c***t.

Whose description is accurate?

Shining Inheritance

milkham

Also, question for native english speakers...

Often I see "twat" meaning something (that I think it is) like "dorky", "goofy", "pathetic", "stupid", etc.

But I also see people saying that it is a bad word for women... similar to bitch and c***t.

Whose description is accurate?

both

Alta1r

tumblr_m64nplfmac1rz810go1_400.jpg

Nobody has watched that 80 or so episode drama I mentioned earlier huh? lol

FIRST LOVE

best kdrama ever ever ever.

Lol. 80 one hour episodes sounds way too daunting. You should have just told us it was like 15 episodes and by the time we got to that point we'd have been too hooked to stop.

Yeah. Depends on context.

Ashhong

i got it in my queue ash! gonna finish up bridal mask first. itll be my off day drama when hana kimi comes out

Nice, cant wait to hear impressions from someone watching it today, like 16 years after it came out :D

There are 2 dramas called First Love I believe, you have the right one right? Not sure how many eps the other one is. Mine stars Bae Young Joon

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m64nplfmac1rz810go1_400.jpg[IMG]

Lol. 80 one hour episodes sounds way too daunting. You should have just told us it was like 15 episodes and by the time we got to that point we'd have been too hooked to stop.

Yeah. Depends on context.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I assume you guys would have seen the total episode count when downloading. My bad for thinking highly of you guys =P

Ashhong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville

Eighty episodes ain't shit son. Watched like 7 seasons in two weeks. Shit was crazy.

Why would you do that to yourself? I was a huge fan of Smallville, watched it all. But to watch 7 seasons in 2 weeks? Especially Season 6 and 7 which were so so bad? That is killer.

Episode 100 is fucking awesome though. The tears were aflowing in that one.

i think i got the right one. is it the 1996 one with Bae Young Joon, 66 episodes?

Oh it's only 66 episodes? Yea thats the one! Enjoy :) Tell me how the fights hold up..I remember that drama being the last kdrama with good fights, but that was so long ago.

Tenck

Why would you do that to yourself? I was a huge fan of Smallville, watched it all. But to watch 7 seasons in 2 weeks? Especially Season 6 and 7 which were so so bad? That is killer.

Episode 100 is fucking awesome though. The tears were aflowing in that one.

Lol, yeah those seasons, making me cringe right now.

You ever lived in Cheyenne Wyoming man? Population of like 10 people. Not much to do but rent stuff from the library.

Just checked out the 100th episode description. WOW. Now I'm going to cry ;_;

Let me borrow your shoulder for a bit ash *sniff*

Ashhong

Lol, yeah those seasons, making me cringe right now.

You ever lived in Cheyenne Wyoming man? Population of like 10 people. Not much to do but rent stuff from the library.

Just checked out the 100th episode description. WOW. Now I'm going to cry ;_;

Let me borrow your shoulder for a bit ash *sniff*

LOL 10 people that sucks man. You should watch the Kdrama too then :)

Yup, there was so much hype going into that episode (I followed the Smallville forums and various sites at the time). The first part of the episode with the
proposal was so good, and then that first death happens and I was like :OOO and then the second death and I was like WHAAAT :OOOOOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3lDjyLr1s :'(

Anyway, no more Smallville talk lol

Tenck

LOL 10 people that sucks man. You should watch the Kdrama too then :)

Yup, there was so much hype going into that episode (I followed the Smallville forums and various sites at the time). The first part of the episode with the
proposal was so good, and then that first death happens and I was like :OOO and then the second death and I was like WHAAAT :OOOOOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3lDjyLr1s :'(

Anyway, no more Smallville talk lol

Yeah I was on a forum too LOL. Good times man.

Anyways, watching that K drama since you seem to have good taste.

dokish

Banned
Ahh the yearly SNSD is plastic topic, where video game nerds become expert plastic surgeons just from pictures on the internets.

"I've investigated this closely and because they don't look the same from ITNW, plastic surgery because my eyes says so!"
m4Pzf.gif
If you look close enough HyunA's twitter, you will see HIDDEN EVIDENCE about her plastic surgery too!

i0lIeF9mfu4UY.gif

japanese drama = do-ra-ma
korean drama = kdrama

maybe its not translating well, but you say you do not like reply 1997 because it lacks humor, yet you want recommendations on sad/thoughtful dramas? ill just recommend both for you.

if you want sad/thoughtful, i can vouch for:
49 days
1000 days promise
green rose
city hunter (although there are cheesy parts, its more action than romcom)

and if you havent seen em, these doramas:
last christmas
grand tribe (so serious)

if you want a more "light" experience, check out these kdramas:
dream high 1
greatest love
my girlfriend is a gumiho
my girl
you are beautiful
secret garden

also these kimutaku dramas are legit
pride
good luck
Thanks for the recommendations. Let me explain my post:

I "only" like heavy stuff, really sad and thoughtful movies and series. (I didn't now that Dorama is only for JP! Thx!) But since this seem such high standard for JP/KR (because they make such dumb and chessy stuff) I can let myself watch comedy stuff too. When I said that Answer to 1997 was "silly and dumb" I meant that even though is tries to have some comedy, it fails miserably. Meaning = not even comedy they seem to make. (Seriously... I used to LOOOOVE shoujo anime... but today all we see is loli girls everywhere and lack of drama/character deepth).

Sooo, instead of asking for comedy, I asked for good sad kdrama that I may have missed.

I downloaded 49 Days, I will check it out.

FIRST LOVE

I will check it out. Thanks.
Yeah. Depends on context.

Thats pretty fucked up since they in "opposing directions" lol. One is like "don't be silly", a light way of talking, the other one is super extreme. "Shut up you twat". I'll never use tho, fear that people might misunderstood.

Peru

Someone mentioned Answer to 1997 in this thread so I went and watched it... Didn't like it at all. I mean, the pilot doesn't make clear what this show is about. The characters lack charisma, the show lacks humor, there are 0 jokes, characters screams all the time... ugh. 42 minutes about teenage girl screaming because of a K-pop boyband.

K-dramas are usually pretty bad (Japanese ones are much better), but after watching The King 2 Hearts I thought I could give dorama a second chance.

A reason for not liking '1997' is there are 'no jokes'? It's not a sitcom. And to anyone who's grown up as a human it feels real, and funny as well, because of the clumsiness of finding your way through school life. "The pilot doesn't make clear what this show is about" - well it's not about gimmicks, and that's a good thing. If you like King 2 Hearts that much I see we don't share views on what 'thoughtful' tv shows are, though.

Ashhong

First watched it back in 1996 when I was 8 years old, and then again in 2005 or so to study for my Korean SAT Subject test, and I loved it again. It could be nostalgia or something clouding my judgement, but yea, its that good. I can't stand any of the dramas these days because they just dont compare.

I might actually start rewatching it again. Might as well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tiffany is the same. radical changes in a short period of time.
if you think she actually is that prone to sprained ankles you're being naive.
I'm talking about Jessica. I don't care about the rest of soshi except Yoona or the occasional time Taeyeon will be heavenly.

(._.)

Banned
It's impossible to tell who truly had work done. They have state of the art surgeons there and a lot of the procedures only show subtle changes I believe. I bet a lot of people would be surprised if they found out who has had work done.

Biscuits

So I was watching some Kko Kko Tours yesterday, anyone else seen it? Contrary to a lot of variety shows I've seen it really felt completely unscripted, which led to many holy-shit moments. Too bad it got cancelled :(

Yuri also seems like an awesome person to hang out with. Up the ranks she goes.

It's impossible to tell who truly had work done. They have state of the art surgeons there and a lot of the procedures only show subtle changes I believe. I bet a lot of people would be surprised if they found out who has had work done.
It'll be one of those things we'll never know about, like the T-ara incident.

Ashhong

I bet alot of the idols go to one plastic surgeon, like some top notch, number 1 guy in Korea. A netizen should hack their records and release it. Would be huge!

dokish

Banned
A reason for not liking '1997' is there are 'no jokes'? It's not a sitcom. And to anyone who's grown up as a human it feels real, and funny as well, because of the clumsiness of finding your way through school life. "The pilot doesn't make clear what this show is about" - well it's not about gimmicks, and that's a good thing. If you like King 2 Hearts that much I see we don't share views on what 'thoughtful' tv shows are, though.

I apologize. My problem here is language barrier. Often I can't find the exact words and I'm often misunderstood. I can't make 'crystal clear' posts but I will try my best.

I didn't say K2H was sad or thoughtful, although I recognized that my post may lead to that impression. What I meant was: "K2H was good, so other kdramas can be too, since everything I watched hasn't pleased me".

But, since we are at it, a side note: I'm studying psychology in college and I'm into phenomenology and K2H is an outstanding material to study about society's cultural traits and that everything isn't natural and culture creates reality. South fighting North is the same as white people vs black people, straights vs homosexuals, etc. But this isn't something I can discuss here in GAF because of language barrier, and even if this wasn't a problem, "normal people" lack years of studying and book reading to at least have the same "awareness" and perception of things as I have. It's the same thing a guy who studying Political Science trying to argue with "normal people" (people that doesn't have any knowledge about it).

If I ask you to watch this ( http://youtu.be/Jf6mTG_QtHg ), what can you say about it? I can say for myself that this touches me deeply, beyond words. As a dark skin person, we can see the fucked up world we live in, waging wars, ethnics humilhation, etc etc. Since I work with science I can't just say "well, we all know that everything is build by culture as people are what they are". No, this is what common sense say, and making science doesn't work like that.

@Continuing ...

I expressed myself poorly with the "no jokes" thing, but what I meant overall is: The first impressions of the show are that it was just 'plain', 'simplistic', 'shallow', 'superficial', 'they didn't bother to make a good first impression of the characters'.

But again, this are my impressions. I'm not saying "don't watch it!" or "it's shit". Just saying that I didn't connect with the show, because someone mentioned and I wanted to check it out.

I will watch one or two more episodes. I think the show would be better if were already "in" 1997 instead of flashbacks. When I first saw the first 4 episodes of Love Rain (the 70's part) I loved it and write on essay about how jp/kr pop culture can have its benefits for who don't live in asia (dictatorship, tuberculosis, songs banned, etc).

Is comprehensive that I can't connect with the show since I didn't have the high school life people usually have. :p

If you ask me a great show to watch, I will say Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai Wo Sakebu.

Soon I'll post my 49 days impressions.

Thanks.

Alta1r

First watched it back in 1996 when I was 8 years old, and then again in 2005 or so to study for my Korean SAT Subject test, and I loved it again. It could be nostalgia or something clouding my judgement, but yea, its that good. I can't stand any of the dramas these days because they just dont compare.

I might actually start rewatching it again. Might as well.

Lol. Damn, some high reviews. I'll give the first couple episodes a shot.

I'm talking about Jessica. I don't care about the rest of soshi except Yoona or the occasional time Taeyeon will be heavenly.

VDWcU.gif

tumblr_m2kl9fkXtN1qbalato2_500.gif

Ashhong

Let me know when you (or anybody else) starts watching. I'll start at the same time so we can have a little discussion if need be.

Aka the two most beautiful and elegant woman in the whole K-Pop biz, as far as I am concerned :p

Gain looks like an poorly made doll, what is wrong with you?

Yeah I don't get the Yoon Eun Hye love. I saw her on Happy Together and everyone picked her looking the best, but she was sitting right next to Park Han Byul so I was like...wut?

JJ0FZ.jpg

While she does look pretty bad in that picture, she is extremely cute, and has a beautiful smile. But I would think that her personality and popularity factors into it too, even if they do not necessarily realise it.

green rose
last christmas

Gonna check out these two.

FIRST LOVE

I think I remember you talking about that one before. Gonna check it out as well.

Any recommendations about sad/thoughtful doramas?

Check out Thorn Birds and Stairway to Heaven.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The best thing about those Secret pics is that whoever runs all-idol.com has an amazing camera lens. I bet they dropped 5 grand on it.

Doramajoe

Neo Member
it's on YouTube. and for download at doramax264. I can't post the YouTube link right now (@barnes, on cell phone, low batt). but I'll post it later. you can find it if you're sharp. it's got a viet title, with the shitty sbs subs. but it gets you in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom