• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyFaith

Oh, are our votes going to be outted for the gaf world to see? My votes were delusional.

+ Sohyun & Hyuna since that was an irrelevant post.

tumblr_m7fguu5B8w1r60bmvo1_250.gif
tumblr_m7fguu5B8w1r60bmvo2_250.gif

tumblr_m7fguu5B8w1r60bmvo3_250.gif
tumblr_m7fguu5B8w1r60bmvo4_250.gif

Ashhong

WTF Ailee?????? Her eyebrows too??? It's like hyunas stylist from gangnam style got to her. Disgusting. I can no longer defend her 28% body fat.

luso

Voted for both polls, answered most of the questions.
Dice's too long and 90% are girl groups/solos (I know that is almost GAF standards, but...) and KKS is devil, we know.
Only 4 entries for Best Album!?

I know this is yearly but comparison with first semester awards will not be possible since categories are basically all different.

tumblr_mepitoI5rl1rkxuc2o1_250.gif

Salazar

Yeah. She is so thin that it looks really disturbing. It's really shame that some women don't see that being so thin looks extremely unhealthy and disgusting rather than sexy.

I've actually had the melancholy opportunity to see quite a bit of the inside of an eating disorder clinic. This doesn't make me a terrifically qualified judge, but, although Sooyoung does get pretty thin at times, your standards for "unhealthy" and "disturbing" are pretty generous in terms of what is possible for someone with legit problems who is not an ordinarily slender woman with an arduous schedule.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Younha has a beautiful, strong, clear voice. However, she does not have greater vocal capacity than Ailee. Ailee knows how to emotionally connect and it is very impactful, yet she is still new and sometimes overdoes it or gets lost in what she's doing. Younha has many years of professional experience and training, and offers more refined performances as a result, yet it seems to have distanced her from connecting with songs as deeply, and thus not connecting the song to the audience as personally.

As for who is better straight up, I'd say that depends on the purpose. Not all singing is of the same nature. Not all singing interacts with music in the same fashion. As someone who loves vocal trance, I can see how Younha would appeal to you more. That isn't what Ailee does, and she wouldn't be very good at it, but Ailee is very good at the things she does do. Younha's more distanced feel also makes her a good fit for exactly the kind of rock she does which is also something Ailee wouldn't do well.

I wouldn't say one has a greater mainstream appeal, because they are both very popular styles. I would say that Ailee's realm is more conducive of stanning, so she may appear more popular. However, I think given the same promotional investments, you would see similar sales numbers at the end of the year, but from mostly different demographics. Ailee will have to be more active as a celebrity personality, work with others who are the same, and could maybe branch into working with hip-hop artists. Younha isn't marked for that kind of fame but has ability to work with a much wider range of producers and artists for a rich portfolio at the end of her career if she is diligent in networking.

Younha kind of makes Korean sound French in that video and it is sexy.

Ashhong

Damn, I am way too gone to understand like 80% of what you just said so I'll have to read that in the morning. I knew deep down they were both great but just at different things. How would you describe Younha and vocal trance to sound?

But yea, something about her performance here, so clear, clean, great high notes.

vanty

Yeah. She is so thin that it looks really disturbing. It's really shame that some women don't see that being so thin looks extremely unhealthy and disgusting rather than sexy.
Do you people realise there's more than one body type for women? Do you vomit in disgust any time you see a fashion model? You really think SM don't have trainers and nutritionists and stuff making sure all their artists are as healthy as they can be given the busy schedule?

Peru

Younha is a flawless vocalist.

Seeing as her most famous hit was a simple pop rock song I'd call her Korean mainstream's most underrated vocalists probably until she joined those singing shows recently and people got their eyes opened.

I mean there are no faults to be found:
http://youtu.be/UTtEC3gd2nk (If anyone can find the original I Am a Singer video streaming anywhere.. )
+
http://youtu.be/8-fTQXFUmzo

And yesterday I linked this to show she's a monster at the piano as well http://youtu.be/X2ZQ9MatK4w

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How would you describe Younha and vocal trance to sound?
It's difficult to get non-music-people to fully understand, because it's something you run into like a wall at first as a musician. There are two different sides to music. On one side you have improvisation, and on the other you have music theory. Some styles of music rely heavily on improvisation and pure emotional weight. Some styles require precision in exactly following outlined music for cooperation resulting in the sound you're aiming for.

In "soul music" there is generally a lot of leeway for vocal expression. With this, everything in the composition is designed to allow for that, so much so that the singer's expression makes or breaks it. Performing like this is like blues and jazz. You have definite boundaries and important transitional rules, but within them you have tons of freedom and allowance for straight up emotional expression.

In something like trance or heavily layered rock music, you are working with complex intertwining of tones, chords, and rhythms. You have to follow exactly and be spot on or you'll kill the purity of the sound. That purity is the essence of where the song is, and you fit in as part of the greater whole that is expressing the feeling. Just as the soul singer still has some rules to follow, you still do have room for personal expression, but the ratios are flipped around.

Someone like Younha would likely end up disappointing if you tried to get her to do funk music, and Ailee would likely end up straight pissing off her band if she tried to do complex rock music. There are some styles of music that are a more even balance between compositional expression and personal expression, but often times it goes one way or the other.

Ailee's style results in more "jam session" type of applications and spotlight features, and Younha's style is used far more often for recorded music and event collaborations. Ailee's challenge is remaining within her bounds yet pushing them to their limit and making it natural, personal, and spontaneous. Younha's challenge is in taking what little leeway is given to her and using it to plug you into what the song is doing all around her.

[Edit: Gah, this is so hard to explain and sound right. When I say "around her" I mean from her perspective. Ailee doing her signature thing has to be more focused on what she is doing and just trust the others to do their job right, while Younha doing her signature thing is bearing the burden of trust of the others and has to be the conduit of the whole band unto the audience. Ailee has to make up a lot more from nothing, and Younha has to keep track of and be in union with a lot more.]

They are two very different skillsets, and if you're mixing people from both camps, your performance/recording session is going to be an extremely annoying process.

Salazar

SM didn't even bother getting shinee/exo a proper dance studio to learn their choreography for their MAMA performance, they practiced in a racquetball court

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYQBJDJFrs

Ain't nothin wrong with squash courts son

THE NUCLEAR AGE began 70 years ago on a squash court in Chicago, under the watchful eye of a man with an axe. A team led by Enrico Fermi, Italy's greatest physicist since Galileo, had been building a nuclear “pile” for weeks, slotting pellets of uranium and bricks of graphite into a carefully planned geometry through which ran various “control rods” of cadmium. The squash court was the only convenient large space available on the university campus. On December 2nd 1942 the pile had grown large enough to allow a nuclear reaction to take off when the control rods were drawn back from its heart.

ryan-ts

Damn, RM 122 has a laugh track going like every 2 seconds at one part, it was seriously annoying. I don't know why they feel the need to put in laughs when the show is genuinely funny.

Alta1r

Cuddler

Watched basically every single MV in the (Dice) poll for Best MV since there isn't any Super Junior or 2BiC MV. In the end I will choose between Boa - "The Shadow" and Secret - "Poison", those are basically the only two songs that I actually kinda liked.

Honey Bunny

Watched basically every single MV in the (Dice) poll for Best MV since there isn't any Super Junior or 2BiC MV. In the end I will choose between Boa - "The Shadow" and Secret - "Poison", those are basically the only two songs that I actually kinda liked.

Good choice, but the real answer is Gain - Bloom

672052ebtw1dzl0pmxvc7g.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom