• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyFaith

tumblr_lxyr0za0eh1qjei7to1_250.gif

Ashhong

Honestly the poll isn't going to motivate me to check tumblr or youtube some music. If I see a poll where I dont recognize 90% of the choices, I'm just going to pick the one I do recognize. Maybe that's just me though.

vanty

If SNSD were there half of the people in this thread would just Ctrl-F 'SNSD' and click on everything that lit up, and be done with the voting in about 20 seconds due to not even looking at any other nominee. Makes perfect sense leaving them out.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Apologies to 4minute and Spica fans. That much wasn't an intentional or solo oversight, it was just realized too late.

That said, I don't think their inclusion would change results much.

RubyFaith

4minute didn't do anything worth winning for anyway (in any rigged or legit poll) other than have amazing outfits in VU -- I'd still pick Kara's over that. Cube really half assed everyone this year except Hyuna.

And Ice Cream sucks.

+ Subin twitter update 'cause she's kinda cute 2

tumblr_mendf9PT4G1qg4gqxo1_500.png

Tenck

For new page:

CLICK HERE TO VOTE IN THE 2012 DICE IS A PRETENTIOUS ASSHOLE AWARDS

Edit: Actually the process of making the awards was fun. Reminded me how much cool shit came out this year. It was easy to think a lot of it was older than a year, lost in all these nugu cash-ins on kpop's popularity boom. In truth, the scene is still kicking so much ass.

Voted. Was trying to not be biased, but we all know how that went.

Totally stanned

......................SNSD..................

CLICK HERE TO VOTE IN THE 2012 KPOPGAF AWARDS

Edit: Alt has been bitching in chat. Please be aware that the process of including what everyone wants would take a week of constant work and not everyone would be satisfied in the end anyway. Just be mildly offended (I mildly offended myself in making it) and have fun with this.

It started off sour with Miss A missing from artist of the year. Then I came to rookies of the year and EXID was absent, so I just closed the tab. Fuck your shitty awards, not even gonna commend you on your effort.

edit: Not pissed about the SNSD thing though, it's such a non-issue.

Why is everyone in Rainbow so good looking?

Why?

Seungah is rubbing off on the rest of the members.

Narae is definitely one of the prettiest rookies this year.

Yuri's face.

iMEkDN07ZQxvf.gif

That's her UWAAAH face from RM.

Ashhong

If SNSD were there half of the people in this thread would just Ctrl-F 'SNSD' and click on everything that lit up, and be done with the voting in about 20 seconds due to not even looking at any other nominee. Makes perfect sense leaving them out.

This is bullshit though. Way to over-exaggerate. Not one person in here would do this.

Dice

+ Subin twitter update 'cause she's kinda cute 2
amg subin so qt

It started off sour with Miss A missing from artist of the year. Then I came to rookies of the year and EXID was absent, so I just closed the tab. Fuck your shitty awards, not even gonna commend you on your effort.
Again, sorry about Miss A being absent from that. Everyone knows I'm a JYP stan and it was unintentional.

As for EXID, I acknowledge their most recent song gives hope for the group, but in terms of the year I can't see how a double fail and triple member changeup are marks of success. They had a lot of support behind them but hit the scene flat. In this slow year for 2NE1 fans, EXID may have been comforting, but overall they were just non-contenders for a best rookie.

This will likely raise argument so I'll address them now. AoA was unexpected yet had great reception.
I don't like them.
Crayon Pop was severely limited in resources and position but have significantly risen as underdogs and have a lot of GAF rooting for them. Hello Venus had as much as EXID going in and managed to secure a lot more for themselves. Skarf and D-Unit were basically joke entries that IRC peeps understand.

Cuddler

Thank you for the banners orangecaramel. :)
Super Junior "Sexy, Free & Single" ranked first on the Japan Tower Records K-Pop Top 20 for 2012, in front of Big Bang and Girls' Generation. 2PM were first in the single chart and SNSD first in the DVD chart.
Source:allkpop
The new tumblr search is weird
Yes, I can't see the last pictures posted anymore, totally useless now.
Big Bang can have a chance, Suju and Psy possibly the other main contenders for main award, TTS not so much.
Nominees.
January? I hope it is another ShinDong focused award show!
CLICK HERE TO VOTE IN THE 2012 KPOPGAF AWARDS

It is recommended that you keep a separate tab or window or whatever you need open to check on things you may not be familiar with, such as MVs and non-mainstream sections.

Edit: Alt has been bitching in chat. Please be aware that the process of including what everyone wants would take a week of constant work and not everyone would be satisfied in the end anyway. Just be mildly offended (I mildly offended myself in making it) and have fun with this.
Edit 2: Because Alt was blind and didn't see the clearly displayed winners, he didn't realize we are mostly voting for 2nd place here and wanted me to say it in my post even though the poll already says it.
SNSD are like Super Junior, you don't find Super Junior in basically any category because they will easily win everything, but there wasn't space for both to be in the first place, so that's why they are nominated in basically no category.
Thank you for having put ShinDong in a category
Woohee, wasting dem moves in a radio studio

1SKo3.gif
ockcx.gif
bBsO0.gif

f28VS.gif
ZhB2P.gif
u7obm.gif
It was ShinDong ShimShimTapa, here's the video. There are two other video:

ShinDong hit one of the members of Dal Shabet with a fake hammer, because she loose a game, I guess
Dal Shabet remain after the end of the show to clean the studio

And another old one:
Dal Shabet dance Gangnam Style with Park Sung Ki in front of Ehwa Womans University. (ShinDong is there too, ShimShimTapa related)

jokkir

Looking at the 2012 Awards. What would you guys classify Humming Urban Stereo as if it's not Kpop? It is kinda Pop-y, I think?

Dice

Looking at the 2012 Awards. What would you guys classify Humming Urban Stereo as if it's not Kpop? It is kinda Pop-y, I think?
Well you see, there is korean pop music, and then there is kpop. Even Koreans I know who are still in Korea naturally set aside idol music as it's own thing using the "kpop" title.

jokkir

Well you see, there is korean pop music, and then there is kpop. Even Koreans I know who are still in Korea naturally set aside idol music as it's own thing using the "kpop" title.

Ah, yeah, I was thinking idol music would be counted as kpop lol. Was confused for a second.

Deadly

Voted in some categories

Honestly the poll isn't going to motivate me to check tumblr or youtube some music. If I see a poll where I dont recognize 90% of the choices, I'm just going to pick the one I do recognize. Maybe that's just me though.
Not just you.

Alta1r

How many times do I have to say it's a waste of time? We all know and have seen the actual collected and tallied data. Aside from Hyomin and MAYBE Jaekyung, soshi members dominate the shit out of these. Unless you are purposefully doing an SNSD member ranking poll, it's a waste of time.

If it's not from the favoritism of pure familiarity and investment, it's from not even knowing who half the options are and thus not checking up on them before going ahead and picking a soshi member. Since many people openly admitted such things, especially when I left so many fields as write-ins for the last poll, is it REALLY disrespecting their opinion like you say, or is it encouraging them to consider maybe someone else would IN THEIR EYES be competitive if they only gave them a chance?

For example, Gayoon really earned her place in the Airport Excellence category, but do you know the half of it? Not if you'd just vote a soshi member because you have seen pics from 90% of their trips. But if you just affirm how great they look in airports and leave space for others, just maybe you'd look around on tumblr or something and see that Gayoon is rather stylish in her own way.

Go ahead and be pissed if I seem arrogant from this, but when so many people openly said that they couldn't even think of many others to write in on the last poll that was almost all write-ins, and I can often think of 20 or so... well, then yes, I guess I do think that I know better. I don't see how recognizing my broader awareness and sharing it is a problem. As has been agreed upon by you, me, and Ash, the only issue here is the title of the poll, so stop getting your panties in such a twist over a stupid title. Even so, I did ask for help thinking of listings and categories in chat and got help from a couple people, and they saw the format of the poll as we did it.

Dude, from your posts you'd think you're some sort of Kpop Jesus, savior of "underappreciated" music and "overlooked" idols. But you're not. This poll is really just a large dose of heavy-handed hipsterism. Your entire argument basically comes down to "I don't like that people don't care to vote for or know about my favorites, so I'm just not going to let them vote for their favorites."

If people don't know what Gayoon wore to the airport, that means that you, and whoever else wants to "raise awareness," failed at that job. If people don't know who half the options are it means they either don't care about them or the options weren't memorable enough to stick in their minds. This means you should post more of these "underappreciated" idols in the thread so that we might remember them the next time there's a vote. Not that you should remove a voting option from the polls. Plus, rigging the vote this way only pushes your problem of people voting for what is familiar one step back. Now, instead of people "mindlessly" picking Soshi, we're picking the next name that we know, as Ash and others have already pointed out. This poll is not the place or the way to share your "broader awareness."

Also, happy birthday Max!

tumblr_m8v3fnxqGd1royi3qo1_500.gif

spink

I'm over soshi. Their comeback will need to be pretty special to get as much interest from me as Sistar, Secret and Girl's Day have been

Dice

Dude, from your posts you'd think you're some sort of Kpop Jesus, savior of "underappreciated" music and "overlooked" idols. But you're not. This poll is really just a large dose of heavy-handed hipsterism. Your entire argument basically comes down to "I don't like that people don't care to vote for or know about my favorites, so I'm just not going to let them vote for their favorites."

If people don't know what Gayoon wore to the airport, that means that you, and whoever else wants to "raise awareness," failed at that job. If people don't know who half the options are it means they either don't care about them or the options weren't memorable enough to stick in their minds. This means you should post more of these "underappreciated" idols in the thread so that we might remember them the next time there's a vote. Not that you should remove a voting option from the polls. Plus, rigging the vote this way only pushes your problem of people voting for what is familiar one step back. Now, instead of people "mindlessly" picking Soshi, we're picking the next name that we know, as Ash and others have already pointed out. This poll is not the place or the way to share your "broader awareness."
This has nothing to do with "my favorites" and I listed plenty of things I don't care for. I also asked for further input to find even more people to list, whether or not I liked them, so that characterization of me is all your imagination. While I did want to gather more identification of good acts, I didn't feel like putting in a week of recon to collect more recommendations since, as I have been saying and you are ardently affirming, most people here aren't looking beyond the big names.

Either make your own poll or get off my case. This isn't a political election, there is no significance behind this, so it's irrational for you to be so pissy. This poll is what it is and your only issue is what it's titled because you're butthurt about not having the honor of voting for SNSD. Why? It's just a silly poll for fun of the thread. Even if we did something more "official" that included absolutely every single possibility of any interest, including all boybands, to get a completely accurate representation of this thread's truest vote results, all it would amount to is a representation of this thread. That is not terribly significant. It's just for fun.

For that reason, I am far more interested in making it purposeful in some way, rather than just wasting my time on processing a popularity vote. I personally think it's nice to look back on a year of the industry's offerings and what was good about it and how they compare to each other. I wanted to encourage that. If that doesn't work, as it apparently isn't with you, then that's a failure, but at least I tried, and it was more interesting to me than a traditional awards poll. If the whole concept of wanting to encourage looking outside of your biases makes me an arrogant fuckwad hipster, fine, go ahead and think that. However, I don't see why you persist in trying to take the absolute worst interpretation of my actions possible and convincing others of it. I'd say that's a far more arrogant dick move than where I put soshi in a casual poll.

Not just you... it's why polls generally suck and why the Electoral College was established, but that's another topic PoliGAF can probably cover lol.

Anyway, I'll be voting the polls as soon as I finish this post.

Also, Happy Birthday Max!!

I had my last Korean class for the term yesterday. It was sort of sad, as I don't know that I will ever see my teachers again. Hopefully they come back next term, but right now it's looking slim. Anyway, it was something like 10 weeks, and I do feel like I learned a lot, even if it was all just the basics. I probably learned more than I realize.

I was going over just the vocabulary that we learned and I felt very surprised by the amount of vocabulary we learned. Combine that with the ability to read and some basic grammar and it's sort of impressive. But then again, I would probably still find it a challenge to have a conversation with a small child.

I need to find a way to increase my vocabulary I guess.

Selane

I'm over soshi. Their comeback will need to be pretty special to get as much interest from me as Sistar, Secret and Girl's Day have been

Yeah, I'm with you. I can barely stand them at this point to be honest. I think they just became too successful and now it's kind of hard to like them, since they really don't even do regular idol stuff any more. And when was the last time they had(or promoted, at least) a good song? 2010?

More importantly:

Y4AQ9.jpg

Alta1r

This has nothing to do with "my favorites" and I listed plenty of things I don't care for. I also asked for further input to find even more people to list, whether or not I liked them, so that characterization of me is all your imagination. While I did want to gather more identification of good acts, I didn't feel like putting in a week of recon to collect more recommendations since, as I have been saying and you are ardently affirming, most people here aren't looking beyond the big names.

Either make your own poll or get off my case. This isn't a political election, there is no significance behind this, so it's irrational for you to be so pissy. This poll is what it is and your only issue is what it's titled because you're butthurt about not having the honor of voting for SNSD. Why? It's just a silly poll for fun of the thread. Even if we did something more "official" that included absolutely every single possibility of any interest, including all boybands, to get a completely accurate representation of this thread's truest vote results, all it would amount to is a representation of this thread. That is not terribly significant. It's just for fun.

For that reason, I am far more interested in making it purposeful in some way, rather than just wasting my time on processing a popularity vote. I personally think it's nice to look back on a year of the industry's offerings and what was good about it and how they compare to each other. I wanted to encourage that. If that doesn't work, as it apparently isn't with you, then that's a failure, but at least I tried, and it was more interesting to me than a traditional awards poll. If the whole concept of wanting to encourage looking outside of your biases makes me an arrogant fuckwad hipster, fine, go ahead and think that. However, I don't see why you persist in trying to take the absolute worst interpretation of my actions possible and convincing others of it. I'd say that's a far more arrogant dick move than where I put soshi in a casual poll.

Wanting to encourage people looking outside of their biases doesn't make you an arrogant fuckwad hipster. Deliberately leaving Soshi off the survey because you think that people having an option to vote for Soshi "allow the cycle of willful ignorance to continue" does. And I'm taking the worst interpretation of your actions because you stubbornly refuse to add them due to some misplaced sense of fear that the poll will turn into a popularity vote (what do you think it is without Soshi?), despite the fact that your reasons don't hold up under scrutiny.

In terms of making another poll, how many people have voted so far? I think there'd be too much voter fatigue to go through another one if a bunch of people have voted. Plus, I'm not trying to one-up your poll and start a poll war. That would, at best, just split the thread between polls and neither set of results would be fun or useful. I'm just trying to get you to add Soshi as an option for some of the idol awards. I tried first privately in chat yesterday, and failing that, a bit more publicly here.

Ashhong

What? I think she looks fantastic. I wonder how chubby she is under all that clothes. Shallow, I know.

Happy Birthday MAX!

Kuno

Hey! I made my own KPop-GAF awards poll! It's not as extensive as Dice's poll, but I focused on just the KPop females. I split the groups into three tiers, and then split the rookies into three separate tiers. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone!

Dice's poll has a lot of fun questions, but I thought these categories could have been done better. Also, I think that splitting the artists into tiers makes for some more interesting decisions.

2012 KPOP-GAF AWARDS: GIRL GROUPS & SOLOISTS EDITION

Dice

I curious about your method for determining tiers for female group. Music show wins?

Kuno

I curious about your method for determining tiers for female group. Music show wins?

My method is purely unscientific, so don't read too much into it. I wanted to split them up somehow and made some spur-of-the-moment choices when I had to. The poll is just for fun, of course.

Dice

Alright, I just didn't see how 4minute and f(x) were a tier above A Pink, After School/OC, and Rainbow in terms of GAF-love or even just perception if not love.

Ashhong

I would put 4Minute and fx above them as well. Maybe OC/AS can be at tier 1, but not Apink and Rainbow. No real reason, just how it is in my head.

Who cares? She looks fantastic.

I care. I wanna know how chubby an idol has to be to look that good.

Dice

I wonder how chubby she is under all that clothes. Shallow, I know.
ikPAoyVxfa7sC.gif

lucky bastard

Seems meaty, although looking at the MAMAs performance I'd say she dropped some since that.

I would put 4Minute and fx above them as well. Maybe OC/AS can be at tier 1, but not Apink and Rainbow. No real reason, just how it is in my head.
I'd say it's probably all legit in terms of popularity in Asia. Just the phrasing of things made it seem GAF-centric and I have observed our leanings.

Ashhong

Yea pretty meaty. I'd still probably hit it.

You guys should make it possible to skip voting on questions. I don't know these lower tier rookie groups and am going to choose a random name, so the results aren't really indicative of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom