• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

oh man I cant wait lol
jB8CKd0QIcYgv.jpg

Alta1r

Post opinions, videos, random songs, pics or gifs.

Yuri was trending worldwide.
mMix7cp.png

Lol. Try a tumblr search for "Yuri." When you're not at work, though.

I'm bored so for whoever cares and since I Got A Boy promotion is finishing:

SNSD Ranking

Try to focus on this year activities only or at least the recent months.
Top 3 is mandatory as well your GAF nick (anonymity guaranteed!).
Sorry for the many rules, lol.

Nice! Hehe, I like this summary view to see the results as of when I voted. Taengoo and Sunkyu/Soo holding down the pole positions as usual.

Happy Birthday mate.

Make a Yoona for Alta1r and me :p

Yeeee, down.

Also, happy birthday jokkir!

tumblr_mhg30fWBmr1rkxuc2o1_500.jpg

luso

This is a quick survey, like 48h.
1 point for 1st and so on is to make the maths faster.
yes, I know excel exists for that

TheChits

Yay, it's my birthday today! I think it Korean bday years, I would be 23 now... I think.

But anyway, I feel like drawing something again soon. Who shall it be this time? I was thinking Nana again or Dynamic Duo.

Happy birthday bud! I vote for Dynamic Duo

No No Eul

It's good to see Zinger back in action.

BAMF Min:

As I was watching that last night, I noticed Soyul and Geummi walking past Tippany:

iVjRuDrJUiaiR.gif

And I thought of this:

I didn't realise how short Crayon Pop was. Even picturing them in heels, they're dwarfed. :)

I guess Fany is about the same size as Soyul. Not all that surprising really. :p

B-E-S-T Sistar at the Seoul Music Awards:

And one more courtesy of Fiddle:

tumblr_mhhpn1wtKb1qk12q0o1_500.jpg

Pendulum

For shits and giggles, allkpop's 2012 awards:

Best Live - 2NE1
Rising Star - Dal Shabet
Best New Girl Group - Love Venus
Best New Boy Band - B.A.P
Best Producer - Duble Sidekick
Best Female Solo - Ailee
Best Male Solo - G-Dragon
Best Music Video - TVXQ (Catch Me)
Best Girl Group - KARA
Best Boy Band - Super Junior
Best Fans - Elfs (Super Junior)
Song of the Year - Fantastic Baby (Big Bang)

arkon

Haha I loved that RM ep. Monday couple forever!! 80 years later their love still transcends through time.

RIP Phono?

Commander was especially scary in this episode.
hiding behind the bookshelf...and watching you...waiting

That was one of my favorite scenes haha.

Yep. Good episode. The ones with no guests tend to make for a really nice change of pace, purely because they don't have to worry about the guest stars. They're all experienced in taking a particular scenario and really running (lol) with it.

vanty

Yep. Good episode. The ones with no guests tend to make for a really nice change of pace, purely because they don't have to worry about the guest stars. They're all experienced in taking a particular scenario and really running (lol) with it.
While in comparison this ep 107 I'm about two-thirds of the way through has been boring as shit because of some super complicated and unexplained concept with the guests.

Kuno

Did anyone mention this new Billboard interview with HyunA? It's pretty interesting, and there's a 12-minute accompanying video too.

i1HTwtVGTLXz3.jpg

HyunA Talks U.S. Debut, Filming With PSY & Being Labeled Overrated

Do you have plans to debut in the States?
I can't specifically talk about my plans, but it is true that positive ideas are being discussed. It is all because of PSY and I have been very lucky. I think people are taking more interest in me because I’ve been getting a lot of exposure lately. In order for me to jump on the opportunity [should it arrive], I need to be prepared. I am putting in a lot of hours studying English. I think I'd fit in quickly. I mean, my vision of the U.S. is limited because I can only see or learn things from here, but I want to go experience it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYRGjTgfQw

Does anyone know why kpop fansites tend not to do 'best albums of 20xx' lists at the end of the year (let me know which ones do if I'm wrong), but do best groups, MVs, singles, etc etc?

I mean, I do understand that it's pop music and the majority of people will just listen to the most heavily promoted songs, but there really are some great songs on albums that go under the radar because label X won't give it a proper MV and/or promotion. This is coming from someone who prefers to listen to full albums all the way through (obviously more often for non-pop music, but still applies for all genres) and appreciate them as a single body of work so I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same way lol.

giri

Fiddle pasted this in irc... and... i haven't been able to stop listening. If sistar19 had released the song as this, it would have changed my whole view on the song.

Listen to This.

ryan-ts

Does anyone know why kpop fansites tend not to do 'best albums of 20xx' lists at the end of the year (let me know which ones do if I'm wrong), but do best groups, MVs, singles, etc etc?

There's definitely a focus on MVs and promoting a song rather than the album itself, mainly because the promoted song is what usually makes money. The world of K-Pop tends to move quickly so there's really no time for recognizing full albums when even really good singles can be ignored completely. I also think the comments from users on most fansites would end up being whining about why insertrandomgroupsalbumhere isn't #1.

Fiddle pasted this in irc... and... i haven't been able to stop listening. If sistar19 had released the song as this, it would have changed my whole view on the song.

Listen to This.

That's good.

I'd say you've answered your own question there.
The question was somewhat rhetorical. I obviously understand how the pop format runs; it's still puzzling though, especially when it's the exact opposite in tons of other genres.

There's definitely a focus on MVs and promoting a song rather than the album itself, mainly because the promoted song is what usually makes money. The world of K-Pop tends to move quickly so there's really no time for recognizing full albums when even really good singles can be ignored completely. I also think the comments from users on most fansites would end up being whining about why insertrandomgroupsalbumhere isn't #1.
It makes you wonder why labels even bother to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on production to make an album when people are only going to listen to 1/4th of it, if that. Those whining comments still exist for virtually every list out there. I think netizens fail to realize that 'best of' lists usually lack any traces of objectivity.

giri

It makes you wonder why labels even bother to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on production to make an album when people are only going to listen to 1/4th of it, if that. Those whining comments still exist for virtually every list out there. I think netizens fail to realize that 'best of' lists usually lack any traces of objectivity.

Because alot of the unknown tracks on those albums are done for the group member. Like how sica always has a terrible ballad on every full release.

So.. basically it's done to placate the member.

Pendulum

The question was somewhat rhetorical. I obviously understand how the pop format runs; it's still puzzling though, especially when it's the exact opposite in tons of other genres.

I wasn't being condescending. Although ryan-ts expanded upon it, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's the single and MV with a month or so of stage promotions that makes the money.

Perhaps it also allows the labels to react to trends quicker? 3 promotional rounds a year, either domestic or overseas, with a mini album allows for a variety of songs/concepts tailored to various markets/trends rather than loading up front with a full length album (and 1 or 2 singles) which might be hit or miss.

I wasn't being condescending. Although ryan-ts expanded upon it, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's the single and MV with a month or so of stage promotions that makes the money.

Perhaps it also allows the labels to react to trends quicker? 3 promotional rounds a year, either domestic or overseas, with a mini album allows for a variety of songs/concepts tailored to various markets/trends rather than loading up front with a full length album (and 1 or 2 singles) which might be hit or miss.
I know you weren't, man. I just awkwardly phrased that first post so I had to explain haha.

That might be it. You can definitely tell when labels are playing it safe aka releasing a "new" album that's essentially a compilation of singles a group has done in the past 1-2 years. Once a group is well established though, it's pretty hard to turnoff that existing fanbase though. In the case of IGAB, a lot of SNSD fans thought that song was track, probably due to its experimental nature, yet that thing sold like crazy.

Whatever the reason is, all I'm saying is that it's a shame that many tracks on albums are overlooked just for the sole reason that they don't have an MV accompanying each of them.

Voted for the survey thingy. When are we seeing the results?

is.. is that guy wearing two pairs of pants so he can pull one pair down?

Nope. I dunno if it's the same, but H&M had something like that a couple of weeks ago and it's basically an extra cloth that's sewn on for no reason other than making it look like a flap that flaps around while you're walking. Worse thing is, I saw it in the women's dept. so this pic is pretty questionable right now lol.

At least they're not a pair of skinny jeans.

Peru

Oh hell yeah

Celebrities Lee Shi Young and Chu Sung Hoon were spotted filming with the cast of “Running Man.”

It’s been reported that they filmed at a university’s library in Incheon around 4 in the morning. The members were assigned missions as they entered the library, but had a fearful time because of the guests. Actress Lee Shi Young is known for her love for boxing and is a professional boxer while TV personality Chu Sung Hoon has won medals on the national and regional level for mixed martial arts.

The members shared their thoughts on this episode. “My fear was much greater than any other time,” “It was to the point that I couldn’t really breathe.”

Peru

She basically said she didn't want to go there because it'd just be jokes about her and kookie - " I think that they might focus too much on [the love line] if I do go on" and then said it'd be fun just to be polite.

ryan-ts

She basically said she didn't want to go there because it'd just be jokes about her and kookie - " I think that they might focus too much on [the love line] if I do go on" and then said it'd be fun just to be polite.

NO PERU, NO.

tumblr_mhklufqWhz1rcztzyo3_250.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lizzy should go back on and start a love line with Kookie.

Kookie & Hyuna were awesome.

ryan-ts

Lizzy should go back on and start a love line with Kookie.

Kookie & Hyuna were awesome.

tumblr_mhklufqWhz1rcztzyo4_250.gif

No one from After School has been on since EP 34. I'm ready to give up the dream of Lizzy ever being on the show again (as a guest or a member).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom