• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellix

tumblr_ml2k4yGqhk1so0bqzo1_500.gif

Time for global disappointment that it's nothing like Gangnam Style.

ramyeon

Time for global disappointment that it's nothing like Gangnam Style.
This would please me greatly. My worry is that it will be too much like Gangnam Style though. I really hope Psy managed to keep his credibility and just do shit that he likes to do again instead of trying to cater to the global market.

Peru

Park Bom, the natural beauty who messed up her face.

So we all took for granted that JYP did 15&'s "Somebody". It's not him, he's not credited at all. Honor goes to Shim Eunji, regular at JYP:

6e9ebd27540ff89a2c3db223efa5a77a.jpeg

Peru

Out in 2hrs 20 minutes? Who's going to be the first to bet on its failure and how it will end Psy's career? Billboard ranking?

luso

Well, that's why it's called One Hit Wonders, so no surprises if that happens.

Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon and Seohyun, who were praised for their voice dubbing in the 2010’s high grossing 3D animated film, ‘Despicable Me’, will reprise their roles for the upcoming sequel.

When it was announced I wondered if they would be invited to dub again, I guess they were.

ramyeon

Out in 2hrs 20 minutes? Who's going to be the first to bet on its failure and how it will end Psy's career? Billboard ranking?
Ehh no matter how badly it does internationally it won't be the end of Psy's career, just like Gangnam Style was far from the start of it. He'll always have his humongous fanbase in Korea and I think they'd actually prefer him not to keep doing songs that try to chase after Gangnam Style. He's always been popular for being him and simply not giving a damn what other people thought about him or his music.

Peru

Elitism doesn't look that good on a Psy fan.

Think the best thing he could do to extend the success would be to see it as a chance to continue doing what he does well and not make a carbon copy, though. He's established in the mainstream, now just keep on making good stuff. Maybe he has, but hints so far don't give me too much hype.

ramyeon

Elitism doesn't look that good on a Psy fan.
I'm missing where you're going with that to be honest.

Loved Psy's stuff up until it but Gangnam Style didn't do much for me and anything it did do for me was ruined by the 5000th time I heard it. If pursuing an international career means constantly doing stuff in the same vein as Gangnam Style I'll pass, and the way I see it pursuing that fame isn't exactly conducive to creative freedom.

But if he can prove me wrong then great.

Like I said. Psy's at his best when he just doesn't give a shit. If he's too busy caring what the whole world is going to think of his next song then it just doesn't work.

Peru

Just joshing, but it's not like Gangnam Style is fundamentally different from other Psy hits. But yeah an obvious copy reaching for meme success would be bad.

ramyeon

Just joshing, but it's not like Gangnam Style is fundamentally different from other Psy hits. But yeah an obvious copy reaching for meme success would be bad.
Yeah indeed. I'm sure my first impressions of Gangnam Style were much better but it's been too long with too much exposure, causes me to go off even the best of songs. I had the same issue with the Wonder Girls' Nobody a few years back.

Here's hoping for a nice surprise midnight tonight.

beatsan

Neo Member
Diggin the song preview.

Is the video out in 2 hrs?? Song is the most important, but the video+dance really put gangnam style out there

llehuty

Diggin the song preview.

Is the video out in 2 hrs?? Song is the most important, but the video+dance really put gangnam style out there
45 min.

Not sure about the song yet. Sounds darker than Gangnam style. Korean speakers... what's he singing about?

JKTrix

I hope it was a logistical reason for releasing at 'local time midnight', because I'm sure they knew that wouldn't stop people from listening to it as soon as it came out.

Wet Psy

JKTrix

I don't think the preview was an official release though, someone just got their hands on it beforehand.

The full song is officially out, I was listening to it when I made the post beforehand (Wet Psy is something he says in it). I might like the song more if I saw the video with it, like GS.

luso

Its MV will be decisive.
But mother-father isn't very family friendly, USA parents will protest.

Also lyrics aren't even less perceptible than gangnam, it will decrease its appeal.

Not liking it much.

ryan-ts

I didn't really care for the full song and I kind of wish they didn't tell us the MV had Jae Suk and Haha, would have been nice to be surprised.

Pendulum

Not sure on this one. It's lacking something. Can't put my finger on it.

My first thought.

On second listen, it's okay. A bit derivative. The tune itself isn't great, and the only hook that will give it a chance (besides any knock on effect from Gangnam Style) is the Konglish.

BHkYdeYCcAAjgf6.jpg

Edit: Ah, I see that picture was already posted. In that case have some Hyeri and Minah.

zo9sdt.jpg

Clipse

SNSD 2011 Tour album is out now, got the studio version of Let It Rain.

Really don't see the point of these albums (other than to make a quick $) when most of the tracks weren't even sung live, just studio versions with all the annoying crowd noise in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom