• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

I think she's always looked a bit older than her age, or at least did ten years ago*. Only 26, remember. Looks good though.

* http://youtu.be/cD8k7wY1EKA
Yeah, she always did look a bit older than her age but tbh what sticks out is how little she's aged. I can imagine her still looking good well into her older years. She definitely does look better now that she's older and more mature though.

I'm a bit drunk so my thoughts aren't stringing together very well lol.

spink

Dat TL Audio board... I WANT IT!!!!!!

Closest thing I've done to getting an analog sound was to run Pro Tools to our tape machine then route that tape machine back into Pro Tools. >___<

jNKEldqzTmSGQ.jpg

we can do a completely analogue recording with the TLA

Telepathy

Banned
So when do you guys think is the defining moment of K-pop passing the west?

Looking at a JTL concert from 2004, kinda shows how fast K-pop developed at the end of the 00s.

Not long ago K-pop used to look like this (some of these photos are older, but K-pop basically looked like this from the mid 1990s till mid 00s):

127B06334FC0867712CB79

jtl-brownco.jpg

4a044dc4bb103

B_20070528104759516901040014.jpg

1177568245.jpg

kristine1020_1_1-woohyukist.jpg

220px-Bi_(Rain).jpg

The+hot+baby+vox+ladies.jpg

%ED%95%91%ED%81%B4.jpg

Basically a poor mans asian version of the late 1990s boybands in the west. The songs were basically stuck in the same creativeless rnb mud that C-pop still is.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it seems things really started to kick off 2008-2009. It's hard to put it all into a single moment where "it happened" especially as a great deal of it was a natural growth of popularity through Asian international fans (and thus income and production values) which spread through the internet. However, I think it is safe to say that the Gee and Genie MVs were the gateways for many, many people. Substantially greater than other introductory things at the time.

JKTrix

I don't know enough about its history so I wouldn't be able to pull up anything directly related to K-pop, but I can say with some confidence that K-pop is as we know it now because of YouTube. It's hard to think of how different things would be in the entertainment if YouTube, or any similarly ubiquitous video service, did not exist.

The ease of video access is the real driving point. YouTube was in full stride by time the current [girls'] generation of K-pop came out, so it was like a perfect storm.

It may have worked the other way as well--more people in Korea were seeing what was going on in the rest of the world because of YouTube and quickly noticed that the style was outdated, and got more creative.

Telepathy

Banned
Its kinda fascinating how South Korean music industry gets "it". Meanwhile, Japan and China are still treading water. I mean sure, J-pop has its moments, and some things there can be even more "cool" than K-pop. For instance i think Yasutaka Nakata (songwriter/producer/everything) is a genius. But seriously, i remember my japanese friend proclaming that Japan had "this new artist that has been called Japans Lady GaGa" and he really hyped Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and i know western media did too. Like, this was gonna be the counter attack to the hallyu wave...

Having seen the video to Fashion Monster, it really struck me, how Japanese music taste is just weird and nothing has changed a single bit...

I am by the way, greatly convinced Japanese people do not like Perfume for the same reason i do(and maybe many in the west too).

Ashhong

I think at this point it's become their concept and people actually like them for being "poor idols", but I don't believe the tracksuit is going to be their uniform for this single. There were a few other teasers with an equally bad gold shiny jacket and sunglasses.

Edit: These ones

inOacKGAlKbsb.jpg

These match the first teaser which was just a sketch of their legs with stockings on lol.

Oh man I forgot about these. Basically a different version of tracksuits. TERRIBLE.

You guys ever play osu! ? Friend of mine recently got back into it so I tried it again. There's an Android port, but I haven't really tried it. Here are some 'K-pop' entries that I enjoyed playing.

BoA's Eien

Abracadabra

Expectation

Genie - Japanese, primarily because it has an HD video version (look at the description/Creators Words)

IGAB

Paparazzi

A

Ma Boy

An example of a song I didn't enjoy playing: Dambi's Queen

This is awesome, I love rhythm games. How do you play this on a computer though? I downloaded iOS version but the song selection is pretty sparse, even with the additional add-ons :( no kpop...

2San

Its kinda fascinating how South Korean music industry gets "it". Meanwhile, Japan and China are still treading water. I mean sure, J-pop has its moments, and some things there can be even more "cool" than K-pop. For instance i think Yasutaka Nakata (songwriter/producer/everything) is a genius. But seriously, i remember my japanese friend proclaming that Japan had "this new artist that has been called Japans Lady GaGa" and he really hyped Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and i know western media did too. Like, this was gonna be the counter attack to the hallyu wave...

Having seen the video to Fashion Monster, it really struck me, how Japanese music taste is just weird and nothing has changed a single bit...

I am by the way, greatly convinced Japanese people do not like Perfume for the same reason i do(and maybe many in the west too).
Japan is big enough to sustain their own artists, so they don't need get "it".

B-Dex

Someone (Dorkish?) has been tweeting lewd remarks to Nine Muses Kyungri:

and G Dragon:

Nine Muses' company star empire has contacted the police over this.

Contacting the police over a silly sexual tweet? OK. (I could see it if it's constantly spammed but even then just block them and move on?)

You can make your own osu track with an mp3 though i never figured it out.
Who here makes mixes from to time for their ipod or CD players?
I made a mix weeks ago 2 discs worth

Disc 1 starts with kpop and ends with jpop
Disc 2 starts with jpop and ends with kpop.

ramyeon

Looking at a JTL concert from 2004, kinda shows how fast K-pop developed at the end of the 00s.

Not long ago K-pop used to look like this (some of these photos are older, but K-pop basically looked like this from the mid 1990s till mid 00s):

127B06334FC0867712CB79

jtl-brownco.jpg

4a044dc4bb103

B_20070528104759516901040014.jpg

1177568245.jpg

kristine1020_1_1-woohyukist.jpg

220px-Bi_(Rain).jpg

The+hot+baby+vox+ladies.jpg

%ED%95%91%ED%81%B4.jpg

Basically a poor mans asian version of the late 1990s boybands in the west. The songs were basically stuck in the same creativeless rnb mud that C-pop still is.
What the hell? Creativeless RnB mud? Have you even listened to the artists that you posted?

And what is "it"? Manufacturing pop idols to be promoted abroad? Or the fact that they need to advertise and push their local artists abroad in the first place whereas Japan and China really don't want or feel the need to send their artists abroad, Korean media seems to feel that the definition of true success is to make it big in the West. There are a lot of reasons why this could be the case but it's too early and I'm too hungover to go into them now.

Just wanted to call out your bullshit about 90s kpop which was fantastic.
Yeah, it seems things really started to kick off 2008-2009. It's hard to put it all into a single moment where "it happened" especially as a great deal of it was a natural growth of popularity through Asian international fans (and thus income and production values) which spread through the internet. However, I think it is safe to say that the Gee and Genie MVs were the gateways for many, many people. Substantially greater than other introductory things at the time.
It was Tell Me and the Wonder Girls that pretty much started the whole international popularity of kpop. Before that the fandom online was really small and it just kind of blew up with Tell Me.

giri

You can make your own osu track with an mp3 though i never figured it out.
Who here makes mixes from to time for their ipod or CD players?
I made a mix weeks ago 2 discs worth

Disc 1 starts with kpop and ends with jpop
Disc 2 starts with jpop and ends with kpop.

don't make mixes but i do make play lists for some groups that have multiple cd's so i can skip stuff like bad ballads.

Dice

It was Tell Me and the Wonder Girls that pretty much started the whole international popularity of kpop. Before that the fandom online was really small and it just kind of blew up with Tell Me.
In Asia, for sure, though I had "the west" more in mind as that is what Telepathy was asking about.

ramyeon

In Asia, for sure, though I had "the west" more in mind as that is what Telepathy was asking about.
Errr that's what I'm talking about. Were you in the fandom when Tell Me came out? Message boards like Soompi blew up with members and there were a lot more white people joining the fandom which was, before that, predominantly Asian Americans.

Gee definitely introduced people as well, but Tell Me was the catalyst. Genie was a bit late in the cycle IMO and hardly had the impact of Tell Me or Gee.

Dice

I wasn't. I liked kpop and jpop around SES but floated away from it in favor of the european electronic and american indie scenes. I came back when I noticed some noise about it (and modern home production ability started blending western electronic, indie, and hiphop into pop compatible with kpop anyway) and as I got back into it I talked to a bunch of international fans about what brought them into kpop. There were some girls who liked the wonder girls, but snsd was far and away the frontrunner among both girls and guys. Maybe newly born sones just forgot history and reality, which tends to happen with them.

giri

Errr that's what I'm talking about. Were you in the fandom when Tell Me came out? Message boards like Soompi blew up with members and there were a lot more white people joining the fandom which was, before that, predominantly Asian Americans.

Gee definitely introduced people as well, but Tell Me was the catalyst. Genie was a bit late in the cycle IMO and hardly had the impact of Tell Me or Gee.

I think you can lay a lot of the initial drive from the west, into kpop, on Gee.

I think you're giving wonder girls far too much credit. I didn't even know who they were, as they went int irrelevance when they went to the US, for about 2 years after i started listening to kpop.

luso

I think you can lay a lot of the initial drive from the west, into kpop, on Gee.

I think you're giving wonder girls far too much credit. I didn't even know who they were, as they went int irrelevance when they went to the US, for about 2 years after i started listening to kpop.

For Europe side, was definitely from 2009 on, not with WG, but with Gee, Sorry Sorry and even when 2NE1 & 4Minute debuted, so first half. Of course there were already some people listening k-pop before but it was 2009 when it become notorious enough.

rX5dv1F.jpg

Someone (Dorkish?) has been tweeting lewd remarks to Nine Muses Kyungri:

Well no shit. If you post a picture like this, who wouldn't want to engage in private affairs? I'm sure the saner people wouldn't tweet crap like that, but you bet your ass somebody's already grabbed the lotion.

I need to go buy some lotion.

Anyway, regarding the current topic of K-Pop hitting the west.

Uh, it ain't all about girl groups y'all. Here in Texas, 2009... every Asian American I know was eating up Taeyang's "swag" if you will. Everyone was obsessed with Wedding Dress, and obviously Big Bang as well. Of course there were other people who already deep in the fandom and knew so much, but for the rest of us outsiders, Wedding Dress was the biggest hit that brought K-Pop to light. But of course, that only affected you if you were Asian or were already "Asian" even though your skin color says otherwise.

Either way, it really varies. But for most Asian-Am's, 2009 was definitely the time where K-Pop came into the culture.

Telepathy

Banned
What the hell? Creativeless RnB mud? Have you even listened to the artists that you posted?

And what is "it"? Manufacturing pop idols to be promoted abroad? Or the fact that they need to advertise and push their local artists abroad in the first place whereas Japan and China really don't want or feel the need to send their artists abroad, Korean media seems to feel that the definition of true success is to make it big in the West. There are a lot of reasons why this could be the case but it's too early and I'm too hungover to go into them now.

Just wanted to call out your bullshit about 90s kpop which was fantastic.

You know, i would not have talked about having just watched a JTL concert from 2004, if i did not enjoy "old school" kpop too. I think there are many nice songs from those artists. But come on, for real, imo K-pop right now is at the fore front of the pop/dance genre. It was not that way before. You know, there are great music in every country,even Albania, but no one would describe it to be a phenomena or ground breaking.

However, kpop for the last 3-4 years have spitted out hits, that had they only had Bieber or some other western star singing them, they would have been top 10 billboard hits for sure.

And honestly dude, most of those K-pop artists i linked to, sounded dated, already when they were released. The thing is, a good song is a good song, but that song can be packaged differently. And that package is extremely importent when you want to get popular, especially worldwide.

An extreme example would be Steklovata. A boyband singing in russian, who released this video in 2002. It basically became a meme, and was named the worst song/music video in the world. Like, people were literally laughing at it.

But you listen to the actual song, and its pretty much a smash hit, cloaked in the absolutely worst possible package you could ever imagine.

steklovata.jpg

Sadly people are very superficial and having the right package is usually more important than the actual melody/song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rmLmrCv6E

Fuck the haters, Steklovata- Novi God is some good shit.

Peru

This Han Groo / Sori friendship produces a lot of these selcas it seems https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMK1Iu4CEAAnfGb.jpg:large

Kyary is an example of the industry actually getting it though! Her youtube vids are hugely popular, she's got the tumblr crowd like the k-pop artists, she's touring the West. They 'got it' by uploading full videos to youtube and pushing the content internationally, itunes, etc, which is opposite to the isolationist strategy employed by most JP labels. Japan has a lot of great, cool, interesting pop artists - they just haven't felt the need to expand their market which has been a detriment to their country's soft power in general - it's just not available enough to most people. You have to find some niche torrent sites to watch most videos.

ramyeon

I guess my perspective is different because when Tell Me became a hit was when I noticed the dynamic of the fandom changing, an influx of foreign interest that was never really there before beyond people within Asia.

You're underselling WG, and if you didn't know who they were it's because you came into the scene when they were touring the states. Actually even then not knowing about them for 2 years while listening to kpop is weird. Unless you didn't read anything or discuss about kpop online at all. WG was bigger than SNSD and their songs were more popular than any SNSD songs at the time of their debuts. The only reason they died is the US venture and lack of activities back in Korea due to JYP's mishandling of the group. If they hadn't tried to break into the US market like they had, ironically, their popularity in the US would have become even larger. And I think a lot of Korean groups learnt from that mistake.
You know, i would not have talked about having just watched a JTL concert from 2004, if i did not enjoy "old school" kpop too. I think there are many nice songs from those artists. But come on, for real, imo K-pop right now is at the fore front of the pop/dance genre. It was not that way before. You know, there are great music in every country,even Albania, but no one would describe it to be a phenomena or ground breaking.
I don't know about kpop being at the forefront of its genre nowadays. It's definitely being manufactured to cater to more people though. The stuff you listen to from the 90s wasn't supposed to be popular abroad, it was just made for Korean people as entertainment. Once they realised there's more money to make in Japan and abroad they started altering the image and sound to create more interest and the government really started to push Hallyu as a tourist attraction.

I disagree that those artists sounded dated at that time, and there were plenty or fantastic artists in the 90s like Seo Taiji and Boys doing really interesting things. Hell, even HOT was not your typical boy group and had some very unique songs with controversial topics for the time.

Dice

Japan has a lot of great, cool, interesting pop artists - they just haven't felt the need to expand their market which has been a detriment to their country's soft power in general - it's just not available enough to most people. You have to find some niche torrent sites to watch most videos.
Seriously, if Japan isn't going to be making babies, they at least need to stop being so isolationist.

Dice

You're underselling WG, and if you didn't know who they were it's because you came into the scene when they were touring the states. WG was bigger than SNSD and their songs were more popular than any SNSD songs at the time of their debuts.
SNSD did pretty much suck until Gee, and The Wonder Years is still one of the best kpop albums ever.

ramyeon

SNSD did pretty much suck until Gee, and The Wonder Years is still one of the best kpop albums ever.
Yeah, they were pretty hyped pre-debut because of being popular trainees at the time and people being keen to try and guess which trainees would land a spot in the group, but after their debut it died down a lot. It's because pre-Tell Me the "hook song" format wasn't as popular or used as much in kpop. After that became so big and popular pretty much all idol groups started using that style of song. That's why SNSD came back with Gee, the second best example of a kpop hook song next to Tell Me.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Still don't understand why no one likes her :( besides the fact that she's really really skinny.

Very bland. Nothing really unique in her looks (besides being skinny and tall), especially when there's Sera, Kyungri, Sam, Eunji, and Hyemi in the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom