• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

No No Eul

Into the New World pop classic.

tumblr_lu8tdwfJ8E1qio4mfo1_500.gif

2NE1 LOVES SHINSEGAE

I've been catching up on WGM. Naeun is far more spunky than I gave her credit for. I guess she just gets completely steamrolled on A Pink News by the other more forceful personalities in the group.

Ym1r

I've been watching Taemin and Na Eun WGM too, I like it so far. Na Eun is such a qtpieeeee even with her new nose that everybody hates.

giri

I guess my perspective is different because when Tell Me became a hit was when I noticed the dynamic of the fandom changing, an influx of foreign interest that was never really there before beyond people within Asia.

You're underselling WG, and if you didn't know who they were it's because you came into the scene when they were touring the states. Actually even then not knowing about them for 2 years while listening to kpop is weird. Unless you didn't read anything or discuss about kpop online at all. WG was bigger than SNSD and their songs were more popular than any SNSD songs at the time of their debuts. The only reason they died is the US venture and lack of activities back in Korea due to JYP's mishandling of the group. If they hadn't tried to break into the US market like they had, ironically, their popularity in the US would have become even larger. And I think a lot of Korean groups learnt from that mistake.

Nope, you're just over selling WG.

It's like saying SES were important to the west. They weren't.

ramyeon

Nope, you're just over selling WG.

It's like saying SES were important to the west. They weren't.
That's totally different.

WG were a huge contributor to starting the Hallyu wave, of course there were others, not only one group can be credited for that but to ignore the fact that they helped kickstart the first wave of Hallyu is ridiculous.

Ym1r

WG were a huge contributor to starting the Hallyu wave, of course there were others, not only one group can be credited for that but to ignore the fact that they helped the first wave of Hallyu is ridiculous.

In terms of popularity when WG still existed

WG>SNSD>KARA

If WG stayed in Korea, they probably would be #1 still. But yeah, they need to be credited big time with helping the hallyu wave, and opening the doors for other girl groups who wouldn't exist otherwise. I'm pretty sure if WG and SNSD failed (KARA was not doing well in the first place so we can't really consider them) we wouldn't have been blessed with Miss A, Rainbow, Nine Muses, 4minute, etc etc.

that said I still think snsd is #1

ramyeon

In terms of popularity when WG still existed

WG>SNSD>KARA

If WG stayed in Korea, they probably would be #1 still. But yeah, they need to be credited big time with helping the hallyu wave, and opening the doors for other girl groups who wouldn't exist otherwise. I'm pretty sure if WG and SNSD failed (KARA was not doing well in the first place so we can't really consider them) we wouldn't have been blessed with Miss A, Rainbow, Nine Muses, 4minute, etc etc.

that said I still think snsd is #1
Pretty much this. If WG and SNSD had failed there definitely would not be a girl group trend anymore. And yeah except Kara weren't even on that ranking for a long time haha. SNSD were always considered second tier next to WG until WG disappeared off the radar.

SNSD is the more popular group in the long run and has overtaken them now for sure, but that's pretty much all on JYP.

giri

WG were a huge contributor to starting the Hallyu wave, of course there were others, not only one group can be credited for that but to ignore the fact that they helped kickstart the first wave of Hallyu is ridiculous.

Thats very convenient, but if it weren't for SNSD, WG would be coming back to a kpop scene for girl groups smaller than SES days. And with almost no western exposure.

WG helped. But being one small part is just a line in the credits, it's not the headline act.

And KARA's popularity was bloomed in japan. not the west. They would've got there anyway.

No No Eul

Next After School MV is them in the hospital.
i am kidding. i hope

Those choreography sessions must have been a pretty gruelling experience. More so than usual. :/

I've been watching Taemin and Na Eun WGM too, I like it so far. Na Eun is such a qtpieeeee even with her new nose that everybody hates.

I hadn't even noticed! I guess her nose was a tad flat so I can see why she might have wanted to change it but even so, it was cute enough as it was before. The new one's nice too though.

Is anybody watching Monstar, and if so, is it any good?

giri

Those choreography sessions must have been a pretty gruelling experience. More so than usual. :/

I hadn't even noticed! I guess her nose was a tad flat so I can see why she might have wanted to change it but even so, it was cute enough as it was before. The new one's nice too though.

Is anybody watching Monstar, and if so, is it any good?

Nope, watching Gu Family Book tho.

It's good.

Ym1r

Thats very convenient, but if it weren't for SNSD, WG would be coming back to a kpop scene for girl groups smaller than SES days. And with almost no western exposure.

WG helped. But being one small part is just a line in the credits, it's not the headline act.

And KARA's popularity was bloomed in japan. not the west. They would've got there anyway.

Soshi and Taeyang (and later Big Bang) were probably the two biggest contributing factors to the growth of the international community. Gee and Wedding Dress took off like crazy. Everybody was trying to copy Taeyang's swag, the hair and dress styles became popular around here in Minnesota, at least among the Asians, and that's saying something (cuz its Minnesota...). Gee... well I don't really have to explain that one. Wonder Girls was still a large factor to the growth though, even though they weren't the biggest, their #1 spot in popularity helped keep Soshi recognizable until they hit their prime with Gee.

Also, if I'm not mistaken KARA finally gained popularity after Gee hit (was recognized as part of the girl group craze, even though they debuted before soshi) and with Mister and its butt dance. The only reason why they are #1 in Japan is because they know the market well and cater to them, whereas Soshi was marketed by their legs, model-like beauty, and "powerful" image, which is actually why they have more female fans there than they do male. And we all know how much Japan likes their women cute and submissive-looking, so it's quite easy to tell KARA would be the most popular. It's also the reason why 2NE1 is doing terri-freakin-bad there (not cute hue).

giri

Soshi and Taeyang (and later Big Bang) were probably the two biggest contributing factors to the growth of the international community. Gee and Wedding Dress took off like crazy. Everybody was trying to copy Taeyang's swag, the hair and dress styles became popular around here in Minnesota, at least among the Asians, and that's saying something (cuz its Minnesota...). Gee... well I don't really have to explain that one. Wonder Girls was still a large factor to the growth though, even though they weren't the biggest, their #1 spot in popularity helped keep Soshi recognizable until they hit their prime with Gee.

Also, if I'm not mistaken KARA finally gained popularity after Gee hit (was recognized as part of the girl group craze, even though they debuted before soshi) and with Mister and its butt dance. The only reason why they are #1 in Japan is because they know the market well and cater to them, whereas Soshi was marketed by their legs, model-like beauty, and "powerful" image, which is actually why they have more female fans there than they do male. And we all know how much Japan likes their women cute and submissive-looking, so it's quite easy to tell KARA would be the most popular. It's also the reason why 2NE1 is doing terri-freakin-bad there (not cute hue).

Kara gained popularity in japan due to a Japanese Radio host that was fascinated with them. A very famous host. And they built from there. That one little entrance.

Telepathy

Banned
Some nice discussions going on here!

Kinda awkward how many western media still put up a picture of Wonder Girls to go along with their kpop articles. Heck, i even saw one of those top 10 lists, listing hottest girls around the world. And South Korea made the list, but as an representative, they picked a picture of freaking WG!

Anyway, WGs falldown was like watching a car crash in slowmotion. Gosh, must feel horrible, spending all those years in NYC, acting as if your a star, although you know that at every event you are attending, no one knows who the hell you are, and the only reason you are there is because JYP is spending millions to try to establish you as an artist.

I really wonder how the Wonder Girls themselves thought about the whole spectacle, back then and now.

Really for like more than 1 year, all they did every day was interviewing, performing at Minor League Baseball matches, going to fashion shows etc. All awaiting that debut album, that was constantly delayed...

Real happy SME did not put SNSD up for humiliation like that.

luso

WG had 2 big hits in 2008, Tell Me and Nobody, and I suppose they got great popularity mostly in Asia, like Philippines (I think a famous prison's inmates did a group dance) and SE Asia, not in the west or USA.
In Korea they got popular as they appealed to a broader group age, SNSD was doing well and selling more than WG, but also but was more limited to young people.

At that time there wasn't so many groups, there was BEG and Kara, who was rehashed during 2008 and only in 2009 their popularity took off in Korea, first with Rock U/Pretty Girl/Honey, then with Mister from 2nd album. F0r BEG, Abracadabra also brought them to international popularity (they were well known in Korea before).

Girl groups debuting in 2009 meant they were planned at least with 2 years in advance, it was great for them to appear with this boom and to which they helped, increasing variety: After School, 2NE1, T-ara, f(x), Secret, Rainbow, the still most relevant groups up to now (not sure about Rainbow...)

As for male groups, I don't know much, Big Bang, DBSK and SuJu were the leads, but at least in the west I think their popularity also took off during 2008/2009, at least in Europe.

In any case, 2009 was a great year for K-pop.

Fafnir

Back from the Soshi Girls and Peace concert. 3 hours of Soshi goodness, it will take awhile for the endorphin rush to wear off, gotta write down my thoughts before I forget.

Alot of their songs that I don't care for are awesome with the fanchants like The Boys.

Every Soshi get's good pops but Taeyeon and Jessica are consistently the highest. Yuri had the best fan service, their encore outfits with red short shorts /creepface

The video intros are all pretty cheesy, I thought they were making a Wii racing game with the Mr.Taxi intro but the Goddess intro with Taengoo and the rest of Soshi looking divine was the best.

SM needs to redesign their fanservice platform in the middle as it's too small for their choreo.

Sad there was no individual stages but their discography has become too big to fit in another 45 mins for 9 individual stages. They need to stick Stay Girls and beep beep into the rotation.

Next concert they should trim out most of the Japanese album songs, but was impressive that they had choreo for every song even though it's not as complex as their main tracks.

Track list:

Hoot
Animal
Talk talk
Theboys
Igab
Say yes
Dancing queen
Mr Taxi
I'm a Diamond
Flower power
Paparazzi
Rdr
Reflection
Promise
Baby baby
Goddess intro
Boomerang
Express 999
Genie
Great escape
My J
Kissing you
Himnae
Gee
Complete

Encore
Itnw
Love and girls
Oh
How great is your love
Twinkle

neoism

Back from the Soshi Girls and Peace concert. 3 hours of Soshi goodness, it will take awhile for the endorphin rush to wear off, gotta write down my thoughts before I forget.

Alot of their songs that I don't care for are awesome with the fanchants like The Boys.

Every Soshi get's good pops but Taeyeon and Jessica are consistently the highest. Yuri had the best fan service, their encore outfits with red short shorts /creepface

The video intros are all pretty cheesy, I thought they were making a Wii racing game with the Mr.Taxi intro but the Goddess intro with Taengoo and the rest of Soshi looking divine was the best.

SM needs to redesign their fanservice platform in the middle as it's too small for their choreo.

Sad there was no individual stages but their discography has become too big to fit in another 45 mins for 9 individual stages. They need to stick Stay Girls and beep beep into the rotation.

Next concert they should trim out most of the Japanese album songs, but was impressive that they had choreo for every song even though it's not as complex as their main tracks.

Track list:

Hoot
Animal
Talk talk
Theboys
Igab
Say yes
Dancing queen
Mr Taxi
I'm a Diamond
Flower power
Paparazzi
Rdr
Reflection
Promise
Baby baby
Goddess intro
Boomerang
Express 999
Genie
Great escape
My J
Kissing you
Himnae
Gee
Complete

Encore
Itnw
Love and girls
Oh
How great is your love
Twinkle
uuu lucky :O one if these days :(

luso

Envy, Fafnir. Did you fanboyed a lot? Is not easy to have all that choreo.
Yeah those intro videos are cheesy lol, the ones from the 1st Japanese tour are better, I would prefer going to their 1st Japanese Tour, let's see if they go to Europe and maybe I can think if I go or not..

mr_chun

Can someone explain to me LOEN Entertainment's place in the industry?

I know they've got their own roster with IU, Gain, History, and Fiestar, but they are constantly posting music videos on Youtube by artists on other labels (e.g. T-ara from CCM, Infinite from Woolim, etc). I assumed that they just had some sort of partnership with the other labels to produce and release music videos or something of the sort, but now I'm seeing that they're involved with the Block B v Stardom royalties lawsuit. I are confuse.

Peru

They're a distributor. But they also have an artist management label, not too long ago renamed Loen Tree to avoid confusion (probably).

ramyeon

Can someone explain to me LOEN Entertainment's place in the industry?

I know they've got their own roster with IU, Gain, History, and Fiestar, but they are constantly posting music videos on Youtube by artists on other labels (e.g. T-ara from CCM, Infinite from Woolim, etc). I assumed that they just had some sort of partnership with the other labels to produce and release music videos or something of the sort, but now I'm seeing that they're involved with the Block B v Stardom royalties lawsuit. I are confuse.
Loen Music is the distributor for a whole load of record labels and also runs one of the largest online music streaming portals, Melon.

Honey Bunny

BA BA BA BA BABABABA

Crayon Pop back to change the game.

double edit - Soyul cam.

Also, I just got round to listening to Hyori's album and it's way better than I expected. Some really low-key, personal songs. Pleasant surprise.

Sourcerer

Loen Music is the distributor for a whole load of record labels and also runs one of the largest online music streaming portals, Melon.

Didn't know much about them, but I've always appreciated how awesome their YouTube channel is, and that there's often english subtitles.

Their CD packing is really nice too. Are there many here who import CDs? I only just started.

2San

As for male groups, I don't know much, Big Bang, DBSK and SuJu were the leads, but at least in the west I think their popularity also took off during 2008/2009, at least in Europe.
DBSK pretty much opened the doors for idol groups in Asia and managed to crack Japan. Big Bang and Suju being more responsible for outside of Asia I think. SS501 was also pretty popular in South-America, but I'm not sure on that.

Not sure how Rain fits in all of this he pretty much reigned free as a male soloist in Asia and beyond. He didn't really open doors for other people though.

ramyeon

DBSK pretty much opened the doors for idol groups in Asia and managed to crack Japan. Big Bang and Suju being more responsible for outside of Asia I think. SS501 was also pretty popular in South-America, but I'm not sure on that. Not sure how Rain fits in all of this he pretty much reigned free as a male soloist in Asia and beyond.
As far as Hallyu within Asia there's heaps of people that helped towards that. Really early on HOT was pretty big in China along with Jang Nara (Who is now pretty much only active in China). Japan was of course BoA and later on DBSK and then Kara. I don't think SS501 did all too much, at least not on the level of any of these other artists.

At the end of the day you can't really credit it towards any one group, since groups and artists that came before them paved the way for Hallyu to really take off.

2San

As far as Hallyu within Asia there's heaps of people that helped towards that. Really early on HOT was pretty big in China along with Jang Nara (Who is now pretty much only active in China). Japan was of course BoA and later on DBSK and then Kara. I don't think SS501 did all too much, at least not on the level of any of these other artists.

At the end of the day you can't really credit it towards any one group, since groups and artists that came before them paved the way for Hallyu to really take off.
I was talking about DBSK cracking japan for male groups. I'm not really familiar with the 1st gen(like HOT), since my first contact with k-pop is from the 2nd generation.

Sure it never is just one group, but you can paint picture who greatly increased the exposure at specific points in time.

Pendulum

Not a big deal for those that live in Korea, have visited Korea, or have numbers of Korean immigrants living near them, but Korean restaurants, and hence good Korean food, is rather difficult to come by in London (although I hear New Malden is ok if you want to travel out that way). So how stoked am I to discover 2 blocks from my new house is a fantastic Korean restaurant. Tried a number of the dishes I always hear about on Korean shows, dunked soju in my beer (just how you like it, Lizzy), ate to the sounds of K-Pop filling the restaurant, and even tried speaking a few Korean pleasantries with the waitresses. Definitely seeing this as a local hangout for me.

catmincer

Not a big deal for those that live in Korea, have visited Korea, or have numbers of Korean immigrants living near them, but Korean restaurants, and hence good Korean food, is rather difficult to come by in London (although I hear New Malden is ok if you want to travel out that way). So how stoked am I to discover 2 blocks from my new house is a fantastic Korean restaurant. Tried a number of the dishes I always hear about on Korean shows, dunked soju in my beer (just how you like it, Lizzy), ate to the sounds of K-Pop filling the restaurant, and even tried speaking a few Korean pleasantries with the waitresses. Definitely seeing this as a local hangout for me.

Awesome. I don't live there any more but that was one thing that disappointed me about London. No Korean food.

B-Dex

We have some good Korean food in Vancouver. I can't remember the name but I love those fat rice noodles smothered in spicy sauce. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom