• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

luso

Why can't you have a looker and a dancer in the same person? Although I get your point, with 9 members not everything has to be perfect. They got Yuri and Yoona, they can have 7 others.

If you check the idol scene in 2007, SNSD was, if not a brand new concept, somehow a new approach of girl groups with so many members. One of the main features was to have a wide range of personalities within the group, to attract as much as possible the target consumers, that was part of the marketing: the dancer, the actress, the model, the cute, the singer, the popular, the funny etc. It just happened (or maybe was on purpose for contrast or sympathy!) one of the girls was somehow the "ugly duckling".

imMVUs09iqisx.gif

2San

Why can't you have a looker and a dancer in the same person? Although I get your point, with 9 members not everything has to be perfect. They got Yuri and Yoona, they can have 7 others.
She's really good in dancing though, sometimes you forgo looks for a talent. Can't believe, I'm actually defending Hyoyeon in anything. :p
If you check the idol scene in 2007, SNSD was, if not a brand new concept, somehow a new approach of girl groups with so many members. One of the main features was to have a wide range of personalities within the group, to attract as much as possible the target consumers, that was part of the marketing: the dancer, the actress, the model, the cute, the singer, the popular, the funny etc. It just happened (or maybe was on purpose for contrast or sympathy!) one of the girls was somehow the "ugly duckling".
It's the Super Junior approach, here a ton of diverse people. People are bound to really like 1 or 2 people and still support the whole group. Though with SuJu case it wasn't purposely done, more an offload of trainees afaik.

AReed

I guess there's a reason for Jessica's laziness during IGAB promos:

@SYLoveTY
According to nata, Sica fainted during the musical and manager carried her out !!!
She was not feeling well but she still persisted and showed herself during curtain call” OMG SHE PERFORMED TIL THE END DDD:

@ImTotoro:
FMI,Jessica still attended curtain call, and she was crying” CRYING T______T

@Real_Chichinhu
Sica didnt faint , she felt 2 times and tried to attend the curtain call while crying , she endured till the end
After that she was carried out by manager ,she tried her best till the end

‏@imwhywhy
Jessica's legs were trembling on the stage before she fainted, she was carried out by manager and sent to a hospital.

It's only going to get harder from here with their Japanese schedules looming. Hope she recovers quickly!

Peru

We need tell-all books in k-pop more than anything in pop. The closet cases, the lovers, the jealousy - all that should be super potent.

Won't come from SNSD members, though, and they'll still make enough money in two years to keep going.

Things are improving since we get blind items now.. but so far they're pretty damn tame.

AReed

We need tell-all books in k-pop more than anything in pop. The closet cases, the lovers, the jealousy - all that should be super potent.

That's what I was thinking. Those would sell like hot cakes. I could even see them selling big internationally since everyone loves that kind of stuff.

I don't know if it would be good for the author though. Besides the money, you're pretty much dishing all your friends secrets and throwing them under the bus.

That's what I was thinking. Those would sell like hot cakes. I could even see them selling big internationally since everyone loves that kind of stuff.

I don't know if it would be good for the author though. Besides the money, you're pretty much dishing all your friends secrets and throwing them under the bus.

Not to mention they will most likely remain active in entertainment business, so they cannot turn their back on all the people around them - unemployment is not fun. I wonder if all of them will stick around or if some will e.g. go back to school - they have money not to worry about living a good life for a very long time.

I'm more excited for that then any of their recent music tbh.

It cannot get any worse than "I Got a Boy", can it?

Cuddler

It's a pretty decent song, typical SM mv indeed. I heard a few songs of the album, it's pretty solid. I think I like "it's you" the most. Definitely recommendable if you like SuJu. Siwon looks ridiculous btw. xD
"it's you" is written (or composed, I'm not sure) by Henry (he's Chinese Canadian), one of the Super Junior M members, he was dancing at the SNSD special if I'm not wrong. Agree about Siwon, lol, in fact he's not dancing with the other members, he was too busy filming "The King of Dramas". at least now is with the other members in China for the promotion of the album.
Super Junior M seems to get much better singles than Super Junior. I suppose SJ can get away with weak singles on their home turf, whereas SJM have something to prove in China.
Yeah like this SJM effort a lot more then Suju's recent efforts. Still they seems spend the same amount on MV's though. xD

You guys have to remember than this year Hangeng (Super Junior member, Super Junior M leader back in the days) became really famous and had a huge success in China. Obviously now SM have the possibility to sell the Super Junior M album to the new fans of Hangeng, because I'm sure that they know about his past with Super Junior. Not that Super Junior weren't already kinda big in China. Apparently Super Junior M were paid 400000$ to be on a Chinese tv for the special of the new year (the MBC performance was pre-recorded, only ShinDong was there because of his special ShimShimTapa episode), they performed 3 songs, and they used a private jet to go there. I'm not sure if 400000$ is really true (it was posted by someone on Weibo if I remember correctly), but for sure SM know that they have a big opportunity with Super Junior M right now.

Fafnir

Pretty positive all Soshi is SM for life. I hope they "disband" in 3 years. 9 years is a good time to go, they can perform at 2016 Winter Olympics and have their farewell concerts in the summer. ITNW as their last song /tears

hK1u5.gif

neoism

Pretty positive all Soshi is SM for life. I hope they "disband" in 3 years. 9 years is a good time to go, they can perform at 2016 Winter Olympics and have their farewell concerts in the summer. ITNW as their last song /tears

hK1u5.gif

:( well be sad

luso

A soshi farewell concert will be a sea of tears.

Would be too optimistic saying all 9 will stay on the limelight.

Some of them could continue either as a solo act or appearing on variety/radio, etc., other may just married and carry on with their family life and doing only seldom guest appearances or simply stay away for good from idol life and staying low profile.

Darkkn

It's pretty crazy to think how young SNSD members are and how long they have already been around. They may disband and retire at a age where i personally just barely started my career.

Must have been crazy life and it has just been the beginning.

Also IGAB is actually easily their best album, despite not liking the single initially. It's fully listenable from start to finish unlike previous albums.

Cuddler

I would say a new girl group would debut only in 2014.
This year SM still has to ramp-up EXO before the next rookie group.
And to decide what to do with SHinee and f(x).

SHinee will release a new album in the first half of 2013, they said to ShinDong on ShimShimTapa that they will release a new album before his (Super Junior) new one.

Biscuits

I wouldn't call myself a SONE so I don't mind them disbanding really, I'm sure some of them
taengoo and fany
are itching to go solo or do their own acting/MCing thing. I just hope I get a chance to see them live before they do.

The new Super Junior M full MV is out:

Super Junior-M_BREAK DOWN_Music Video

I like the song, the MV is a typical SM MV...What do you guys think?
Like it, SM picked up some good composers for this.

2San

"it's you" is written (or composed, I'm not sure) by Henry (he's Chinese Canadian), one of the Super Junior M members, he was dancing at the SNSD special if I'm not wrong. Agree about Siwon, lol, in fact he's not dancing with the other members, he was too busy filming "The King of Dramas". at least now is with the other members in China for the promotion of the album.
That's pretty good if he did write it, more so if he composed it. I remember he was supposed to join the main SuJu, but there was crazy fan backlash(probably still feeling bitter about Hangeng leaving).
You guys have to remember than this year Hangeng (Super Junior member, Super Junior M leader back in the days) became really famous and had a huge success in China. Obviously now SM have the possibility to sell the Super Junior M album to the new fans of Hangeng, because I'm sure that they know about his past with Super Junior. Not that Super Junior weren't already kinda big in China. Apparently Super Junior M were paid 400000$ to be on a Chinese tv for the special of the new year (the MBC performance was pre-recorded, only ShinDong was there because of his special ShimShimTapa episode), they performed 3 songs, and they used a private jet to go there. I'm not sure if 400000$ is really true (it was posted by someone on Weibo if I remember correctly), but for sure SM know that they have a big opportunity with Super Junior M right now.
SM is pretty good when there is money to be made. Sorta reminds me off panic mode Nintendo. People have been supporting SNSD too much, hence you get stuff like IGAB. xD
I would say a new girl group would debut only in 2014.
This year SM still has to ramp-up EXO before the next rookie group.
And to decide what to do with SHinee and f(x).
SHinee seems pretty popular, f(x) on the other hand...

SuJu should've gone to the army with the full set so they could make a proper comeback and give these other SM groups a chance to grow. Way too much internal competition. SM has TVXQ, Shinee, SuJu, Exo, all active boy groups. Now that I think about it when are Yunho and Changmin(TVXQ) going to the army?

I'm no expert though. :p

luso

That HyoSiwon pic is nightmarish.

F(x) had a positive comeback, probably better than expected. Will SM groom them to go bigger? In any case, how a new rookie girl group can affect them? Will be just like Shinee, squished between the senior group (SNSD) and the mega hype associated to the new group.
I mean squished as without place to grow or gain new fans because main manpower will be directed for the new group.
SNSD will just be in cruise velocity, as a regular effort will be enough to have big returns (hopefully not, remembers a certain group)

Cuddler

Like it, SM picked up some good composers for this.
I like it too, better than Sexy Free & Single (and I actually don't dislike Sexy Free & Single), now people are going to like this Super Junior M song, but ShinDong isn't on it, annoying...
ahahahah, Siwon and his funny expressions, lol.
That's pretty good if he did write it, more so if he composed it. I remember he was supposed to join the main SuJu, but there was crazy fan backlash(probably still feeling bitter about Hangeng leaving).
Yes, he was playing the violin on the Super Junior - Don't Don MV. I have read about the backslash yesterday, it was really crazy, some ELF actually bought the 0.58% of SM so they can protest, they formed a group called only13 and they were actually camping outside of the SM build. I don't think Hangeng was the problem, they were togheter for some time. It's just that for those fans Super Junior is 13, and that's it, I don't know why. If I remember correctly some fans weren't even really that happy when Kyuhyun joined.

SuJu should've gone to the army with the full set so they could make a proper comeback and give these other SM groups a chance to grow. Way too much internal competition. SM has TVXQ, Shinee, SuJu, Exo, all active boy groups. Now that I think about it when are Yunho and Changmin(TVXQ) going to the army?

I'm no expert though. :p

ShinDong was supposed to go this year with Leeteuk but declined because he doesn't want to continue to have his leader even in the army, lol. IMO Super Junior made a really smart decision, every year a memeber will go to the army and one will come back, with this system they will have more interest and attention. ShinDong will probably go in 2014. Yunho is an 86, Changmin is an 88, they need to complete the service in the army before they are 35 years old. Being a duo, there have two possibilities, if they go togheter they will probably have a come back togheter, if Yunho go alone, Changmin will probably release a solo album, and the same for Yunho when Changmin go. Judging by Super Junior, Yunho will go in 2015/2016 and Changmin in 2017/2018, but nothing is sure, searching for it on google (so I'm not sure if this is true) both Yunho and Changmin contract with SM will end in 2014 if they don't renew, so who really knows what is going to happen. I'm happy that ShinDong (and all the other Super Junior member) renewed his contract in 2010/2011.

2San

ShinDong was supposed to go this year with Leeteuk but declined because he doesn't want to continue to have his leader even in the army, lol. IMO Super Junior made a really smart decision, every year a memeber will go to the army and one will come back, with this system they will have more interest and attention. ShinDong will probably go in 2014. Yunho is an 86, Changmin is an 88, they need to complete the service in the army before they are 35 years old. Being a duo, there have two possibilities, if they go togheter they will probably have a come back togheter, if Yunho go alone, Changmin will probably release a solo album, and the same for Yunho when Changmin go. Judging by Super Junior, Yunho will go in 2015/2016 and Changmin in 2017/2018, but nothing is sure, searching for it on google (so I'm not sure if this is true) both Yunho and Changmin contract with SM will end in 2014 if they don't renew, so who really knows what is going to happen. I'm happy that ShinDong (and all the other Super Junior member) renewed his contract in 2010/2011.
Yeah, it ensures that SuJu stays relevant. However from SM's perspective who's managing 4 boybands, seems like overkill. Not to mention if Exo, can't catch traction with SuJu inactive they have no business staying active imo.

Ah didn't know their contract ends in 2014, I imagine SMent telling them not to go to the army yet. Since they aren't sure on contract renewal and it would be a waste to have them go.

Ym1r

exo already took giant dumps on suju, hopefully whenever they decide to comeback they take bigger dumps on suju.

giri

JIyooooooooooooooooon

Why are people saying her concept photos for 2yoon are "tomboy-ish" ?

She's always had short hair......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom