• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Ym1r

Oh right! Haha that's the one I thought was Yuri. I was thrown off by all the other Soshi girls! Oops. I've not heard of Noel before but that was a nice song. I thought your drawing looked like one of those faces Yuri pulls but after watching that MV that's a much closer resemblance.

the funny thing is, if you turn on the subs the lyrics are, at that moment, "I drew your face so many nights". That was completely unintentional, subs were not on the video when I first started, and I realized it when loen added them not too long ago.

ramyeon

Can't believe I saw posts on the last page ragging on Zion.T's new mini for doing something different and interesting. I don't understand the tastes of this thread sometimes.

Fantastic mini, who would have thought modernised trot would sound this smooth?

IU repackage today has me hyped, still listening to Modern Times more than any other mainstream pop out of Korea this year.

tumblr_mxgq024mTl1rdattso1_500.gif

Can't believe I saw posts on the last page ragging on Zion.T's new mini for doing something different and interesting. I don't understand the tastes of this thread sometimes.

Different and interesting? Sure.

The problem is this:

As I said, I can appreciate what he'd tried, but he's probably gone too far with the retro style without tying it back down to something relevant or, importantly, fun.

This is what in my opinion makes the album terrible.

Y'all know I'm a musician so let me put this in kind of a musician's analogy. With Mirrorball I just feel like I'm listening to the songs, and I do NOT want to be part of the music. Whereas Red Light for example, I'm tapping my feet and bobbing my head to the beats, I snap my fingers and more importantly I'm actively trying to figure out how to play the song because I wanna be part of it. All of Mirrorball(besides Spin Spin) just doesn't really do that for me. Call it a "musician's first world problem" if you will.

I take back my comment about most of the songs feel disjointed coz now that you mention it's "modernised trot," in that perspective it makes perfect sense. My point about squandering the title of "Miss Kim" still stands though.

ramyeon

Different and interesting? Sure.

The problem is this:

This is what in my opinion makes the album terrible.

Y'all know I'm a musician so let me put this in kind of a musician's analogy. With Mirrorball I just feel like I'm listening to the songs, and I do NOT want to be part of the music. Whereas Red Light for example, I'm tapping my feet and bobbing my head to the beats, I snap my fingers and more importantly I'm actively trying to figure out how to play the song because I wanna be part of it. All of Mirrorball(besides Spin Spin) just doesn't really do that for me. Call it a "musician's first world problem" if you will.

I take back my comment about most of the songs feel disjointed coz now that you mention it's "modernised trot," in that perspective it makes perfect sense. My point about squandering the title of "Miss Kim" still stands though.
Can't disagree more.

I honestly have no idea what you're getting at with regards to "squandering" the title. All I can guess is that you feel the music doesn't do justice to the title which doesn't make sense to me. Both the title and lyrically it's a perfect match to trot but at the same time the song is smoother and has more swag than a standard trot song could ever dream of having. It's just really tight conceptually down to the video itself. It is really, really well done. And if you're having trouble getting into the groove of the songs than I've gotta say, sorry, that's not an issue with the songs. There is definitely a lot to like in here and I find myself bopping along just as much with the stuff in this mini.

I honestly have no idea what you're getting at with regards to "squandering" the title. All I can guess is that you feel the music doesn't do justice to the title which doesn't make sense to me. Both the title and lyrically it's a perfect match to trot but at the same time the song is smoother and has more swag than a standard trot song could ever dream of having. It's just really tight conceptually down to the video itself. It is really, really well done. And if you're having trouble getting into the groove of the songs than I've gotta say, sorry, that's not an issue with the songs. There is definitely a lot to like in here and I find myself bopping along just as much with the stuff in this mini.

As I said, it's basically a "musician's first world problems" for me with the album. Without going into a ridiculous spiel about groove... groove is subjective, I've got my own interpretation of it and everyone else has their own.

Remember when IGAB came out? That was a perfect example of how groove can differ between people. 90% of the people in OT4 despised it... meanwhile I was drunkenly proclaiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Now look at the amount of praise IGAB is getting even at the end of the year... pretty positive for what almost everyone claimed to be an utter mess.

I'm not saying that my definition of groove is better than everyone else, nor am I saying that I have a better sense of it, rather there's no right or wrong about groove. It's seriously subjective and it's cool that you're able to feel that in Mirrorball. Maybe through repeated listens I'll be able to pick it up, but of course, that'd mean I'd actually have to force myself to listen to it. :p

Also, regarding the title... it's kind of an unwritten rule that when you specifically use a name in a song title, it has to be seductive, especially coming from an R&B artist. But since this is supposedly trot, then I guess it won't count lol.

And for the record, I still think IGAB is great haha. Not as great as sliced bread but definitely worthy of the praise it got and is still is getting today.

EDIT: IU's new song. Daaamn. *sogood.gif*

dokish

Banned
I accidentally found this and this. Fell in love.

Are they popular?

95% of my korean friends don't like K-Pop (like we do here in GAF), but they have shittons of mp3 on their cells and on the subway they have phones all the time, so I was wondering what were they listening to...

So I found this app by Naver, called Naver Music, which is basically the Korean iTunes, and holy crap they have one section called TOP 100 with amazing people that I never heard of my life.

Korean music finally becoming interesting.

ramyeon

Are they popular?
Yes.

Brown Eyed Soul are pretty well known.

Beenzino is one of the more popular rappers in the industry these days, his last album was pretty great.

Anything on any top 100, including Naver, is bound to be well known pretty much. Brown Eyed Soul are even like #1 at the moment lol. Beenzino is up there too.

I accidentally found this and this. Fell in love.

Are they popular?

95% of my korean friends don't like K-Pop (like we do here in GAF), but they have shittons of mp3 on their cells and on the subway they have phones all the time, so I was wondering what were they listening to...

So I found this app by Naver, called Naver Music, which is basically the Korean iTunes, and holy crap they have one section called TOP 100 with amazing people that I never heard of my life.

Korean music finally becoming interesting.

Yeah my roommate told me about Naver Music. I haven't bothered to look though.

Also, new IU video is amazing as always.

dokish

Banned
IU MV was really good to look at. So smooth. The fastest 4 minutes of my life.

And now I'm mad because it reminded me how incredibly well-dressed all men are in winter. The dude with the red sweater and stripped jacket is amazing. Wish I could pull that off.

IU MV was really good to look at. So smooth. The fastest 4 minutes of my life.

And now I'm mad because it reminded me how incredibly well-dressed all men are in winter. The dude with the red sweater and stripped jacket is amazing. Wish I could pull that off.

It was a large houndstooth print I think. But yeah, he looked good. Most people could pull that off though.

Also, since you were talking about Brown Eyed Soul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzFs6exJmo

I just had to post that.

Edit: I should note that the song actually isn't a bad take on the Philadelphia Soul era sound, although the vocals aren't as good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I saw Boyz II Men once. I was like 30 feet away. It was pretty awesome.

Ym1r

The famous Nothing Better used by countless Korean men as a serenade, sung by one of the members in Brown Eyed Soul.

You guys should appreciate ballads more, check out Noel and 4men if you guys enjoy Brown Eyed Soul.

ramyeon

The famous Nothing Better used by countless Korean men as a serenade, sung by one of the members in Brown Eyed Soul.

You guys should appreciate ballads more, check out Noel and 4men if you guys enjoy Brown Eyed Soul.
I hate this song.

Korean guys sing it literally every time they go to Norebang and it's really ruined it for me lol.

Ym1r

I hate this song.

Korean guys sing it literally every time they go to Norebang and it's really ruined it for me lol.

I was deciding on calling it Infamous for this reason, but decided not to. I enjoy the song but it does certainly get mentioned a lot, I could imagine the songs tendency to get overplayed and overused for romance getting annoying.

ramyeon

I was deciding on calling it Infamous for this reason, but decided not to. I enjoy the song but it does certainly get mentioned a lot, I could imagine the songs tendency to get overplayed and overused for romance getting annoying.
Oh yeah it's a good song, but people shouldn't try to sing it haha. The average guy definitely does not have the vocal chords Jung Yup does.

Pendulum

So many good tracks on this page.

I still stand by what I said about Zion. T's mini album (I don't mind it, I appreciate the change up, but was left wanting... something more). I'd like to see the concept extended to a full album where more of it can be explored.

---

Anyone watching Music Bank? Loved the Girl's Day + VIXX "Trouble Maker - Now" cover.

Edit: 4Minute with a better "What's Your Name" remix than the original.

Edit2:
Kyungri said:

Nyanko

Neo Member

I keep oscillating between loving and hating this group. I love the playfulness and boldness of their sound; at the same time I feel like they keep falling into the same vocal tics (LA PAM PAM PA), as if they're trying really really hard to be f(x) and not quite making it. That said, they keep surprising me, and I'll be keeping an eye on them next year.

Just in case nobody's posted it yet, the Bom/Lee Hi collab:

"All I Want For Christmas Is You"

Sevarus

Okay, I've now watched Girls Go to School, the MTV solo series, and episodes 224, 245, and 248 of Star Golden Bell. What's next?

luso

Edit: beaten, doesn't matters.

If not yet (by +- chronological time):

All Wonderful Outing episodes
Factory Girl
Intimate Note
SNSD Ballerina
SNSD horror movie factory
Hello Baby
Kim Jung Eun Chocolate
Check the making of Photobook in Japan (from making of DVD)
SNSD Champanhe episodes
All About Girls' Generation: Paradise in Phuket (DVD)
Ha Ha Mong Show
SNSD Night Star from 2010
More recent, SNSD Star Life theatre

Missing any?
Edit 2: See Fafnir and
Infinite Challenge
And I love this short interview
There are a lot of good making off of their MVs up to Hoot.

Sevarus

Oh, we've also seen Intimate Note (sooo good), and I've watched like... 8 episodes of Hello Baby. I think Horror Movie Factory is up next.

neoism

I have a link page with almost all SNSD variety shows on it shame I'm at work will link it when I get home SNSD variety is infinitely rewatch able lol I watched it for over a year now and rewatch shows all the time I really should try and slowly download them all. Lol I watch more Korean TV than anything US television is not worth it

Top Bottom