• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

No No Eul

What are you talking about. That soshi album cover is amazing. Very original and different.

There are a few things that seem off about it to me. The photo they've chosen is fine in principal except that it’s weirdly low res. You can see the text is reasonably sharp in comparison with the background which is rather pixelated.

It’s the text that strikes me as particularly odd though. The teaser video and images released thus far have been full of saturated pinks and blues accompanied by a very thin, angular logo treatment.

ibzAwsmNk6tN9h.jpg

One of the fonts they’ve used on that cover is kind of soft and round. Another is rather blocky. Neither match the logo (which, for some reason, doesn’t even feature on the cover) or the concept in general. They’ve also chosen a shade of desaturated orange for the text, seemingly straight from Soshi’s second Japanese album cover.

(Edit: I shouldn't have said the orange is desaturated because it really isn't lol. I guess what I meant to say is that it's rather muted compared with the other colours they've been using for this concept.)

Also, SM usually puts a bit more effort into the Girls' Generation logo.

At best, the design of the cover is inconsistent. At worst, it's incredibly amateurish. And like I said earlier, all this from a company that won four awards for album design last year.

I suspect SM just slapped something together when the album leaked and they realised they had to release it online ASAP.

Fafnir

Damn iTunes is such garbage, after downloading the album I couldn't listen to MrMr because of some authorization bug, had to delete and re-download.

Every song on this mini is forgettable. Rino better have some crazy choreo to save MrMr. I can barely tell the difference between Hyoyeon and Seohyun on Goodbye because of the autotune. Back Hug sounds like it could have been on the ITNW album.

The only thing I am looking forward to this year from Soshi is variety show promotion, a repackage with a better title song, and TTS.

The 2015 album, I want to see what SM continues to do, but for the 2016 10th Anniversary album I want 10 songs. 9 songs from each member and 1 title song. The 9 songs doesn't have to be totally produced by each member, but each member needs to have some kind of input for their song. If my crazy dream happens, Seohyun's song will probably be the best by far.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
So the lineup for the free KBS concert was pretty good but I guess they felt they needed to add more artists. The lineup was:

2pm, shinee, sistar, cnblue, dynamic duo, girls day and others.

well, they just added infinite to the lineup. i really hope i get tickets somehow. oh and apparently they still have a few more artists to announce.

llehuty

So the lineup for the free KBS concert was pretty good but I guess they felt they needed to add more artists. The lineup was:

2pm, shinee, sistar, cnblue, dynamic duo, girls day and others.

well, they just added infinite to the lineup. i really hope i get tickets somehow. oh and apparently they still have a few more artists to announce.

Better lineup than last KCON and it's free. Bravo KBS.

neoism

Surprised not a lot of people are liking Soul, think that's my fav on the new album.

I like it but the Chinese version.. but definitely sounds like it was made with Chinese in mind.
I like the mini... shame SM is fucking stupid, but oh well... Europa is the best song in awhile... Mr Mr is ok IGBA was god tier shame Europa isn't the single.

Tangeroo

I'm enjoying the new SNSD album. I can get how it's not to everyone's tastes. The producers are definitely following the Chillwave trend (albeit with a soft pop vibe) and it's a nice album to listen to in the background. Europa in particular is really nice. f(x)'s Pink Tape is still better of course.

ramyeon

I'm enjoying the new SNSD album. I can get how it's not to everyone's tastes. The producers are definitely following the Chillwave trend (albeit with a soft pop vibe) and it's a nice album to listen to in the background. Europa in particular is really nice. f(x)'s Pink Tape is still better of course.
There is nothing Chillwave about these songs.

ramyeon

The music tracks for Mr.Mr. and Europa sound pretty Chillwave inspired to me as is the album art.
They really don't, but maybe you have a different concept of Chillwave to me. I expect Chillwave to be relaxing and easy minimal, stuff like Teen Daze, Cuushe and Slow Magic. I have no idea how the album art looks "Chillwave" though.

And I was unaware there was any kind of Chillwave trend in kpop atm either, that's news to me.

llehuty

Today at irc klogg brought up that Kyungri, Wohee and Lime were going to debut under the same group. I had no idea. This insightful and sensible onehallyu post
(yeah, I'm as surprised as you are)
has some videos of them together.
No Hello Counselor on KBS World youtube this week?

Sometimes they upload their programs one or two days later. Maybe they are busy with their live broadcasting from youtube (I think this is new, maybe is going to be live 24/7?)

Also, this one goes to Conc:
LMAO.
BTW, already removed from 9muses tumblr

luso

Define Chillwave.

The flaw with Mr Mr is the slow development, that could be arranged and I think would be better.
I'm just not feeling Wait a Minute, the remaining songs I like them. Soul in Korean is not so odd as Korean--Japanese or vice-versa.

Edit: Didn't know about live broadcast from KBW world. Now, Prime Minister and I on air, too bad I'm several episodes behind.

ramyeon

Define Chillwave.
My last post had a few examples that you could have Youtubed if you wanted to.

If that still doesn't help you... It's generally lo-fi dream pop influenced music with a bit more leanings towards looping electronic sounds and ambience. Very low key, minimalistic and generally relaxing.

More examples would be Washed Out, Toro y Moi, Neon Indian, Spazzkid, Wild Nothing.

Tangeroo

They really don't, but maybe you have a different concept of Chillwave to me. I expect Chillwave to be relaxing and easy minimal, stuff like Teen Daze, Cuushe and Slow Magic. I have no idea how the album art looks "Chillwave" though.

And I was unaware there was any kind of Chillwave trend in kpop atm either, that's news to me.

I think I misspoke when I categorized it as Chillwave inspired. I probably should have just left it at retro-infused synth pop.

Yeah, Mr.Mr. is nowhere close to being Chillwave. Neon Bunny's stuff is probably the closest K-Pop has gone Chillwave.

The font/graphic designer who designed that Bestie logo watches too much Naruto. I haven't even watched Naruto a long ass time and I can recognize that font from a mile away lol.

I can't believe Jihyo's 32... those pics look like she's 25 or something. @____@

Cuddler

Interesting songs:
Yoari (요아리) - Do You Like It? (맘에 드니?)
빨간의자 (REDCHAIR) - 새해가 밝았어요 MV
[MV] 이선정밴드 "Ordinary Day" - Ordinary Day

Not exactly but In Front of the mirror addresses similar themes.

In Front of the mirror

"Don’t you know I’m not pretty
I may not be pretty but
Honestly, my heart would be beautiful

If only I could show people my heart like magic
I think I could love and date"

Thank you, not bad at all.

Sevarus

After listening to the Mr Mr mini a few more times (in a warehouse, even), I think it's their best Korean release yet. It sounds a lot like TTS, which is awesome. I love the cohesive feel of all the songs--I'm shit with genres, is it jazzy? R&B? Whatever, all the songs fit together. I love all the ad lib vocal runs all over the place, from people that are not just Taeyeon. I can already taste the salty tears of Tiffany antis, because she got a fuckload of lines--I even liked her rapping in Soul. Everyone sounds amazing. Hyoyeon's (very small) part in Goodbye floored me. It feels like they really nailed down what everyone's role should be, vocally, and they sound so much better for it.

The only song I'm not really feeling is Backhug, and I think that's just because I don't like sweet, happy ballads usually (I love Romantic Street, though).

jokkir

Dara looks really off in that picture proportion wise.

Also, SNSD album is eh. Sunmi album, on the other hand, is pretty good.

Fafnir

The girl from Sunny is on the newest Running Man. Don't watch this episode until after you've eaten something.

That barley rice bibimbap is the bomb. I went to that market just to eat it after I saw it on Qualifications of Men. The kimbap that CN Blue were eating looks like nothing special but it's addicting.

Top Bottom