• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Ym1r

I equate that to saying that Reddit should run the country. Anyways when KBS get's the go ahead to start programming the rest will follow.

Their opinions still count for something. Whoever wants to continue doing programs should continue, and whoever wants to enjoy it should enjoy it. But Korea has this messed up mindset that everybody should be forced to be sad for the next month.

I get it, it's sad. It's a tragedy. But there isn't anything they can do about it, and being sad about it isn't going to change anything. Holding down others who want to live just because you want to be sad is beyond messed up.

Tekniqs

·feist·;109154871 said:
190327355029E52529E204

1312A1355029E515075FC4

main girl from rooftop prince right? she's awesome

Fafnir

Their opinions still count for something. Whoever wants to continue doing programs should continue, and whoever wants to enjoy it should enjoy it. But Korea has this messed up mindset that everybody should be forced to be sad for the next month.

I get it, it's sad. It's a tragedy. But there isn't anything they can do about it, and being sad about it isn't going to change anything. Holding down others who want to live just because you want to be sad is beyond messed up.

You make it seem like this has been going on for months. It's only been a week. At most they missed one new episode. If their happiness revolves around TV programming then they have other issues. At least let the bodies all be accounted for before we yuck it up watching RM or drool at idols.

Ym1r

You make it seem like this has been going on for months. It's only been a week. At most they missed one new episode. If their happiness revolves around TV programming then they have other issues. At least let the bodies all be accounted for before we yuck it up watching RM or drool at idols.

That's because it is going to go on for a very long time. At this point I respect and understand the mourning process. Two weeks from now? It's getting a little too much. Till June? Yeah...

Fafnir

That's because it is going to go on for a very long time. At this point I respect and understand the mourning process. Two weeks from now? It's getting a little too much. Till June? Yeah...

Are you from the future? Can I get next week's lotto numbers?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As an American who very clearly remembers 9/11 and the following days... it is hard to understand. Perhaps that was different because there was much to rebuild and spin positivity into, but maybe here the same can be done for the parents, only not all of them quite yet as we are still finding bodies. I see for right now a lot of Koreans still holding out hope for a miracle. Maybe they are right to hold that hope, or maybe it is part of the denial stage of mourning. I don't know, but for right now it seems fine, and I can also see why June seems really long to keep it going. You could maybe say that it is because Korea is more homogenous, but everyone was identifying American as fuck after 9/11 so I don't think that different applies so much.

Ym1r

Are you from the future? Can I get next week's lotto numbers?

No wonder people have issues with Taeyeon avatars.

I've been following the incident since day one.

It's been established that music shows and comebacks are being held for two+ weeks. Dramas are iffy about airing this week, and variety shows are going to be put off for a while too.

I think you're being overly sensitive this in the same sense Korea is. Don't force other people to be sad just because you want to be sad.

Like I said, I respect the mourners, but don't drag happy people down.

10. [+832, -96] I feel like society's sentiment is forcing everyone to mourn. Like I've lost my right to laugh anymore.

Fafnir

It's been established that music shows and comebacks are being held for two+ weeks. Dramas are iffy about airing this week, and variety shows are going to be put off for a while too.

I think you're being overly sensitive this in the same sense Korea is. Don't force other people to be sad just because you want to be sad.

10. [+832, -96] I feel like society's sentiment is forcing everyone to mourn. Like I've lost my right to laugh anymore.

Honestly I'm not that sad about this and my heartless self only took an hour to get over it, if that, it's just that some are overly insensitive about it. Why is it such a big deal that shows have been pushed back? Like I said before, if someone's happiness is tied to TV programming then they need to get out more. If they don't want to watch the news, then go play some Starcraft, do some pushups, or I guess they can go online and be a netizen.

When June comes along and programming is down, then bitch and moan, but until then let the country grieve the Korean way. Saying "get over it and move on with life" when bodies are still unaccounted for is just too selfish.

Thanks a lot for summing up exactly my feelings about this, literally is everything that i think about this subject and my limited english skills could'nt say.

Honestly I'm not that sad about this and my heartless self only took an hour to get over it, if that, it's just that some are overly insensitive about it. Why is it such a big deal that shows have been pushed back? Like I said before, if someone's happiness is tied to TV programming then they need to get out more. If they don't want to watch the news, then go play some Starcraft, do some pushups, or I guess they can go online and be a netizen.

When June comes along and programming is down, then bitch and moan, but until then let the country grieve the Korean way. Saying "get over it and move on with life" when bodies are still unaccounted for is just too selfish.

It not only about that, Ym1r sums up everything that i think about this.

Ym1r

If you're trying to argue how a person spends his time and says they need to do other things then I could easily turn that on you. What do you spend your time on? Oh thats what you do? Hah you need to go outside. Everybody enjoys different aspects of life.

This is thousands of jobs were talking about. This is directors, writers, cameramen, singers, dancers, and many more that are unable to do their jobs to earn a living.

And even if its not about that, I understand why they were initially canceled but I still don't understand why they have to be canceled for an extended period of time. I said earlier, those who want to watch will watch so why force them to stop filming because others want the ferry on the news 24/7.

Last year my grandma died. My culture's funerals are 4 days long. I went for an hour, then left home to play games. Her death didn't matter much to me, but it definitely meant a lot to the rest of my family. I don't expect them to get over it and move on with life as fast as I did, but I wouldn't want them yelling at me for not feeling "sad" about it.

The point is, let the sad be sad, and let the happy be happy.

Fafnir

If you're trying to argue how a person spends his time and says they need to do other things then I could easily turn that on you. What do you spend your time on? Oh thats what you do? Hah you need to go outside. Everybody enjoys different aspects of life.

This is thousands of jobs were talking about. This is directors, writers, cameramen, singers, dancers, and many more that are unable to do their jobs to earn a living.

And even if its not about that, I understand why they were initially canceled but I still don't understand why they have to be canceled for an extended period of time. I said earlier, those who want to watch will watch so why force them to stop filming because others want the ferry on the news 24/7.

Last year my grandma died. My culture's funerals are 4 days long. I went for an hour, then left home to play games. Her death didn't matter much to me, but it definitely meant a lot to the rest of my family. I don't expect them to get over it and move on with life as fast as I did, but I wouldn't want them yelling at me for not feeling "sad" about it.

The point is, let the sad be sad, and let the happy be happy.

My point was that there's no need for the "happy" to be unhappy just because of TV programming.

When did the grievers force their grievance on the non? Because TV programming was canceled? That's just the selfish viewpoint of the "happy".

[+1,110, -56] I work under stress all day at work only to get more stressed when I turn on the TV... We're all going to get depression at this rate.

...turn off the TV then, what's forcing them to watch TV?

Also please tell me you are not basing your argument about the TV crews not being paid to some comment on the internet? Where was it stated that the TV crews were not going to get paid?

Fafnir

Thanks a lot for summing up exactly my feelings about this, literally is everything that i think about this subject and my limited english skills could'nt say.

It not only about that, Ym1r sums up everything that i think about this.

Look dude, you can try and hide behind your ESL, but your comment that sparked this is seriously from a insensitive entitled child.

2nd week in a row of shows cancelations. -.-

Seriously Korea, man up, there won't be a miracle to save all those life lost for a irresponsible man's fault.

kiyomi

Yo, K-Pop GAF, I need your help.

Is there a higher res version of this lying around anywhere? I want to use it as an avatar and I can't find anything even after reverse image searching. :(

Alta1r

And there are like a million, even better shots we're never going to see.
Just like:
BjgWbJ3CUAA8G9c.jpg:large

Damn. We need to see those for Jiyeon ASAP

tumblr_m7vhuboy771qgjyruo1_500.gif

Looks like a terrible angle along with the lighting is creating an illusion that makes her nose appear bigger.

http://i.minus.com/jXKdFAaK9HQ53.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The nose is only part of the issue. Everything else surrounding the nose makes up the other 90% of the problem.

[IMG]https://24.media.tumblr.com/2a3d4157d99e3fa4deabba2ec3ee656c/tumblr_n4il5sMPTR1roy86io1_250.gif
tumblr_n4il5sMPTR1roy86io2_250.gif

tumblr_n4il5sMPTR1roy86io3_250.gif
tumblr_n4il5sMPTR1roy86io4_250.gif

Alta1r

Hail to the returning champions.

tumblr_ltms9jGZGl1qilaabo1_r1_500.gif

1DbpRVE.gif

This gif is kind of hypnotic..

Is it only the music shows and other TV stuff that's canceled or everything? Are bankers and lawyers and various other workmen/women still going to work?

I'm sure the TV guys ran the numbers. They probably already have sponsors inked to deals so not putting out a new show for a week or two likely wont affect their revenues. But being seen as insensitive to the tragedy might cost them viewers and get them netizen hate, which probably would end up costing them sponsors long term. They're not forcing their sadness on others, just their business decisions.

Also, sorry to hear about your grandmother. But the analogy about Starcraft doesn't really work here. It would be a better comparison here if the one person or group that you regularly played with were too sad to play Starcraft when you want to and you then accuse them of forcing their sadness on you. There's active engagement involved with the other side in this music show and drama stuff. Not being able to force them to do something doesn't mean they're forcing unhappiness on others.

My point was that there's no need for the "happy" to be unhappy just because of TV programming.

When did the grievers force their grievance on the non? Because TV programming was canceled? That's just the selfish viewpoint of the "happy".

[+1,110, -56] I work under stress all day at work only to get more stressed when I turn on the TV... We're all going to get depression at this rate.

I agree with this.

tumblr_n4j5h1Czcu1sewbc1o1_500.jpg

Ym1r

Also please tell me you are not basing your argument about the TV crews not being paid to some comment on the internet? Where was it stated that the TV crews were not going to get paid?

It's not like I'm completely disagreeing with you. I understand why shows are canceled, I understand why it should be on the news. I'm just simply saying, other people want to move on, and they can't really do that because the ferry disaster is in the limelight right now, and everything else is put on pause.

How do you continue life if everything is on pause, that is two+ weeks of somebody not being able to live properly.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the ferry interruption, I think at least they should recover all the bodies before they move on to other things, but some don't want to wait for that.

Tangeroo

2nd week in a row of shows cancelations. -.-

Seriously Korea, man up, there won't be a miracle to save all those life lost for a irresponsible man's fault.

I don't know if you live in the US, but after 9/11, several tv programs went on hiatus. It took awhile before the US as a nation was ready to laugh again so I can understand why the same thing is happening overseas.

I don't know if you live in the US, but after 9/11, several tv programs went on hiatus. It took awhile before the US as a nation was ready to laugh again so I can understand why the same thing is happening overseas.

Those are 2 different things, 9/11 was a completly different event, it literally stopped the world. This was an accident, with nowhere near the same implications of something like 9/11. I´m from Argentina, i was 16 years old when 9/11 happened and i still remember it like if it was yesterday. It´s understandable what you say about what happened after, nobody was the same after that day over there, here or any part of the world.

Ym1r post sums up pretty nicely what i think and why this make me smh, it´s amazing how stupid Korean society can be, nobody is saying to not moun for those who were lost, but how can they literally force everyone to do the same. What if i don´t want to stop my life, my routine, my work for this? am i disrespectul? a crazy man? a rebel? because that´s how i will be judge if i dare to say ok people, enough, move on.

Tangeroo

Those are 2 different things, 9/11 was a completly different event, it literally stopped the world. This was an accident, with nowhere near the same implications of something like 9/11. I´m from Argentina, i was 16 years old when 9/11 happened and i still remember it like if it was yesterday. It´s understandable what you say about what happened after, nobody was the same after that day over there, here or any part of the world.

Ym1r post sums up pretty nicely what i think and why this make me smh, it´s amazing how stupid Korean society can be, nobody is saying to not moun for those who were lost, but how can they literally force everyone to do the same. What if i don´t want to stop my life, my routine, my work for this? am i disrespectul? a crazy man? a rebel? because that´s how i will be judge if i dare to say ok people, enough, move on.

I don't think you appreciate the tragedy of a ferry filled with high school kids capsizing. I'm not saying it's a world event like 9/11. I'm saying that for Korea, it's one of their most tragic moments in the 21st century and it's understandable that it's weighing on most of the citizens there. The delaying of shows isn't about keeping hope that there are still survivors. It's about mourning a tragic event that is still ongoing. You should be pretty well aware how sensitive South Korea is regarding cultural events/customs as it is.

Ym1r

Is it only the music shows and other TV stuff that's canceled or everything? Are bankers and lawyers and various other workmen/women still going to work?

I'm sure the TV guys ran the numbers. They probably already have sponsors inked to deals so not putting out a new show for a week or two likely wont affect their revenues. But being seen as insensitive to the tragedy might cost them viewers and get them netizen hate, which probably would end up costing them sponsors long term. They're not forcing their sadness on others, just their business decisions.

Also, sorry to hear about your grandmother. But the analogy about Starcraft doesn't really work here. It would be a better comparison here if the one person or group that you regularly played with were too sad to play Starcraft when you want to and you then accuse them of forcing their sadness on you. There's active engagement involved with the other side in this music show and drama stuff. Not being able to force them to do something doesn't mean they're forcing unhappiness on others.

It's not the revenue of the TV stations I'm exactly worried about. It's the people who work under them. What I'm questioning is, will they be paid? What about the people who aren't paid by the TV stations but their livelihood depends on being on music shows?

And I never said anything about Starcraft but if you must know, I went home to play Call of Duty MW2 and World of Warcraft. But the point of me bringing that up was to show that some people move on faster than others, and it should be respected. And the people who moved on faster should respect the ones still mourning.

I respect their decision to mourn for 4 days, an hour was nearly too much for me, but they should respect my decision to move on. I'm not going to tell them to stop and move on with their lives just because I was done. But if they extended the funeral an extra 4 days to make 8 days in total? Then I'd be questioning.

But lets say my parents drove back home and argued with me, saying "You're selfish for not mourning longer, you should be sad right now not playing games!" Then my happiness is impeded because they want to be sad.

In that same way, let's take an idol for example, that just wants to perform on TV, or post a happy picture on instagram, they'll get barraged with comments saying "Why are you having fun right now! You're selfish, you should be sad right now!" This is exactly what is happening right now.

You literally can't be happy. If you want to be happy you have to hide it, and that's why I've been trying to say. Korea has this messed up attitude about the ferry crash right now, that everybody in the country should be sad. Moments of happiness are not allowed. There was this couple that posted a picture on their naver blog or whatever, and many many many people came and left comments like the ones above. "Why are you happy right now? You should be mourning."

Like I said, I understand why they canceled shows, I understand why this is such a huge issue, but why can't people be happy?

Gbraga

Wow, this sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Can you at least say you don't care? I mean, you're still miserable, only not for the reason they want you to be.

Alta1r

...the ferry disaster is in the limelight right now, and everything else is put on pause.

OJ Simpson ruined the '94 Finals for me, lol.

And I never said anything about Starcraft but if you must know, I went home to play Call of Duty MW2 and World of Warcraft.

Lol. I'm not sure why I thought you said Starcraft. Subconscious connection since we're talking about Korea I guess..

I'm not sure about the employment law in Korea, but hopefully either the law or insurance or just general niceness from the higher ups ensures that they get paid.

In that same way, let's take an idol for example, that just wants to perform on TV, or post a happy picture on instagram, they'll get barraged with comments saying "Why are you having fun right now! You're selfish, you should be sad right now!" This is exactly what is happening right now.

You literally can't be happy. If you want to be happy you have to hide it, and that's why I've been trying to say. Korea has this messed up attitude about the ferry crash right now, that everybody in the country should be sad. Moments of happiness are not allowed. There was this couple that posted a picture on their naver blog or whatever, and many many many people came and left comments like the ones above. "Why are you happy right now? You should be mourning."

To be fair, this is just public/broadcast activities. I'm sure people aren't following them around telling them they're fucked up any time they have a happy moment in their private lives. But I agree, that part is pretty dumb.

tumblr_n4inllKbRp1t2ko84o1_500.jpg

Selane

Like I said, I understand why they canceled shows, I understand why this is such a huge issue, but why can't people be happy?

Yeah, it's dumb. Also, the networks not airing stuff are dumb too. As usual it starts out done for the right reasons and before long they're just doing it to curry favor. It's going to be the same thing that happened last time they suspended programming, they turn it into an arms race where each tries to not be the first to resume programming because they think it will make them look bad. I hope no one seriously thinks giant money-hungry tv networks are doing anything to be sensitive, they're doing it because they don't want to incur the wrath of the public and risk losing money.

Pendulum

According to a blind item post on Instiz, a female solo singer “A” has discarded parts of new music video ahead of her comeback.

The article reveals that the music video featured controversial clips of the singer with rushing water and in a water-filled box. The music video shoot took place before the April 16th ferry accident came to light, but considering the current atmosphere, it would only be right to not disclose the content of the video.

The agency of the singer said, “A lot of money and hard work went into the shoot, but considering the current situation, we gathered opinions on if we should dispose of the content. It was only natural to. We do not want to cause any sort of inconvenience at all to the families of the incident so we have decided we will not show those parts.”

The singer was scheduled to comeback at the end of April and the beginning of May, but it’s been delayed. The agency said, “We do not know for sure the timing of the comeback since broadcasters are not sure either. We will carefully watch the situation and rearrange the schedule.”

It was revealed that the planners of the comeback are incredibly worried now. Performing on music shows and getting on the rankings is a priority, but it looks like music shows won’t be back until around the second week in May for sure. Even with that, it’s difficult to guarantee a good timing for a comeback. The comeback for “A” was supposed to be in April because the solo singer had already had a comeback with her group prepared afterwards. The already narrow-gap for her comeback has disappeared.

Despite that, the agency of “A” has said they are flexible though. They said, “We will look at the what’s the best. It’s more likely that the album will just have come out around July during the World Cup.”

Female solo singer "A"? Such a hard code to crack.

Top Bottom