• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Krystal027.gif

tumblr_n85hmbU99Q1rj07lro2_250.gif

When I watched that video, I was thinking "someone needs to gif that part!"

tumblr_n833t3UYYk1s8z0bbo1_250.gif
tumblr_n833t3UYYk1s8z0bbo4_250.gif

Blablurn

I'm watching the 8th episode of Roommate right now and I love how they make the game between South Korea vs Russia way more interesting than it actually was lol. It was such a snoozefest :D

I'm probably a minority in this, but I love Bom's face. I know it looks like plastic surgery and all, I am fully aware of it, but I still love it. She's just so cute >.<

I wouldn't say it's ugly but it's just freaking stiff. I don't mind the plastic surgery but at least do it right :<

broz0rs

I've always liked f(x) but felt their Music Core comeback performances were quite dull, especially compared to their previous two comebacks. The choreography just didn't match the energy of the music, especially Red Light which I felt was terrible. I'm pretty certain SM didn't use Rino Nakosone (famed choreographer) for this comeback.

Eldren

I've always liked f(x) but felt their Music Core comeback performances were quite dull, especially compared to their previous two comebacks. The choreography just didn't match the energy of the music, especially Red Light which I felt was terrible. I'm pretty certain SM didn't use Rino Nakosone (famed choreographer) for this comeback.

The most recent song Rino choreographed was SNSD's Karma Butterfly, which has interesting and entertaining choreography (the one with the chairs). Red Light (and Milk and All Night, I think) were done by Jillian Meyers, who also did Mr Mr, all of which are boring and bland and almost completely uninteresting to watch. It doesn't help that Krystal and Sulli, who tend to get the most attention, often struggle to not look dead on stage and have zero energy. Luckily Victoria, Luna and Amber still know how to perform.

Edit: Actually after just watching a Milk performance from this week, I just noticed that one of the dance moves is exactly the same as one from Mr Mr, the bit where they make a heart shape with their hands. How lazy. Aside from Luna they all looked kind of bored. SM really needs to stop using Jillian for choreography, they could be doing so much better.

In other news, One More is currently Song Of The Year for me. I've been playing it repeatedly every day since it released and I absolutely love it. When the End Of Year KpopGaf Survey comes around, it'll be in my top 10 list for sure.

Cuddler

Why isn't the f(x) album out yet? I want to listen to Butterfly, if it wasn't for the fact that you guys keep posting every videos, I would have probably already forgot about that. Is this the first time that the album is not released with the MV? Doesn't make much sense to me.

No No Eul

Why isn't the f(x) album out yet? I want to listen to Butterfly, if it wasn't for the fact that you guys keep posting every videos, I would have probably already forgot about that. Is this the first time that the album is not released with the MV? Doesn't make much sense to me.

It happens every now and then. It was the same with Pink Tape last year, for example.

Anyway, Red Light is due out on the 7th so it'll be released imminently.

—

Somin

Kaeun

Sevarus

The most recent song Rino choreographed was SNSD's Karma Butterfly, which has interesting and entertaining choreography (the one with the chairs). Red Light (and Milk and All Night, I think) were done by Jillian Meyers, who also did Mr Mr, all of which are boring and bland and almost completely uninteresting to watch. It doesn't help that Krystal and Sulli, who tend to get the most attention, often struggle to not look dead on stage and have zero energy. Luckily Victoria, Luna and Amber still know how to perform.

Edit: Actually after just watching a Milk performance from this week, I just noticed that one of the dance moves is exactly the same as one from Mr Mr, the bit where they make a heart shape with their hands. How lazy. Aside from Luna they all looked kind of bored. SM really needs to stop using Jillian for choreography, they could be doing so much better.

In other news, One More is currently Song Of The Year for me. I've been playing it repeatedly every day since it released and I absolutely love it. When the End Of Year KpopGaf Survey comes around, it'll be in my top 10 list for sure.

I love the formation changes in Red Light's choreo, but that's about it. It just doesn't seem to fit with the feel of the song. I loved Mr Mr's choreography, though--I think I might be the only one who did.

Here is a good dance cover of Red Light. Does it look better when performed with more energy?

luso

Hug of the day.

Krystal028.gif

Too bad All Night will not be performed anymore (in music shows), I like the song.
Red Light grew a little but I'm only enthusiastic during the chorus part, the rest is still a mess.

Soon the full album is released.

Blablurn

Alright. Finished watching all the recent Roommates episodes today. After losing interest after episode 3 I really started to like it again. Even though most of the stuff is probably scripted lol. But yeah, I like it. Dat Nana.

DAT NANA.

Not Babymetal upstaging every single Asian pop act trying to break the west, in such a short time

jfl6TX5p6xIBT.jpg

Playing for 60k people in a country you've never been to and owning the stage like it's the most natural thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjD-UBo4UHI

Hail
4962ff4830d88f414cf27f100c241fd8.jpg

I was surprised how positive the reaction to them was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECbOXi7Bo0

I wonder what the Korea companies think about a j-pop act being able to win over a western crowd like that?

I reckon that a J-pop act will more likely break Europe before a k-pop one will. The approach that Perfume, Kyary and Babymetal are doing with building up a fan base via affordable concerts will gain far more traction than the expensive ticket prices the Korean companies want.

Eldren

I love the formation changes in Red Light's choreo, but that's about it. It just doesn't seem to fit with the feel of the song. I loved Mr Mr's choreography, though--I think I might be the only one who did.

Here is a good dance cover of Red Light. Does it look better when performed with more energy?

I think this is my issue as well, it all just feels a little odd. There are parts that I like - the bit where they stand in a line and walk forward one at a time is cool - just like there are parts of Mr Mr I enjoy (the first half of the dance break is legitimately really good). That's a good cover and it does look a little better without the camera moving about to focus on individual members. Maybe I'm being unfair, I think I may have been spoilt by how amazing the choreography for One More is.

Peru

I was surprised how positive the reaction to them was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECbOXi7Bo0

I wonder what the Korea companies think about a j-pop act being able to win over a western crowd like that?

I reckon that a J-pop act will more likely break Europe before a k-pop one will. The approach that Perfume, Kyary and Babymetal are doing with building up a fan base via affordable concerts will gain far more traction than the expensive ticket prices the Korean companies want.

tumblr_n8afbyande1t1y2tso1_250.gif
tumblr_n8afbyande1t1y2tso2_250.gif

Babymetal are unique, their concept gets people wtf'ing but it's easy to 'get' and gets people intrigued. There's a reason Crayon Pop are opening for Lady Gaga like Babymetal are. They stand out and they've got their own style. Something a lot of kpop groups new and old could learn from.

Babymetal have the advantage of appealing to the live loving metal crowd too of course.

Beyond talent, presence and execution, Mamamoo appear to be having actual fun. Naturally, fan cams have increased, and the members have multiple fan photog pages each.

[ENG SUB] - [Exclusive Greeting] Mwave MEET&GREET Rookie MAMAMOO Says 'Hello'

Live singing + 2 rare full version performances of Mr.Ambiguous:
140701 MAMAMOO (&#47560;&#47560;&#47924;) - Mr.Ambiguous @ The Show All About K-pop Debut Stage [1080P]
Love Request &#49324;&#46993;&#51032; &#47532;&#53272;&#49828;&#53944; / Mamamoo &#47560;&#47560;&#47924; / Mr.Ambiguous Mr.&#50528;&#47588;&#47784;&#54840; (1080p) 140628

140702 BESTie Workout Plan

I think this is my issue as well, it all just feels a little odd. There are parts that I like - the bit where they stand in a line and walk forward one at a time is cool [...]
Slow stutter-step to the right? Best part. Some of the small, rigid movements are cool, but the overall choreo doesn't fit f(x) particularly well.

As lazy as Krystal can be (still better than Jess), the snake-like move at the opening of Electric Shock (where she "pulls" the group forward) is not only one of their best, it's also an example of choreo that's well suited to the members. Even during lackluster performances, that part always manages to come across well.

The approach that Perfume, Kyary and Babymetal are doing with building up a fan base via affordable concerts will gain far more traction than the expensive ticket prices the Korean companies want.
Yep. Cheap prices for Perfume, or pay ~6x or greater for a package deal where you'd only care to see a small fraction of the acts.

Remember when Dani joining T-ara was a supposed near-certainty? Yeah...

You'll be fine, though.

Broank

SM fucked up Dracula would have been a perfect title track. You could even keep the same MV style/concept (just with a more distinct dance and get rid of the beast voice thing)

Besides that I really love Milk and All Night. Butterfly is pretty mellow, Paper Heart is a decent balladish song. The rest don't really jump out as something I would listen to but there could be a couple growers.

Soon.

SM fucked up Dracula would have been a perfect title track. You could even keep the same MV style/concept (just with a more distinct dance and get rid of the beast voice thing)

Besides that I really love Milk and All Night. Butterfly is pretty mellow, Paper Heart is a decent balladish song. The rest don't really jump out as something I would listen to but there could be a couple growers.

Best song in the album, can´t stop listen to it, it would have been a freaking perfect title track, no wonder it´s from the same producer who made Electro Shock.

broz0rs

I think this is my issue as well, it all just feels a little odd. There are parts that I like - the bit where they stand in a line and walk forward one at a time is cool - just like there are parts of Mr Mr I enjoy (the first half of the dance break is legitimately really good). That's a good cover and it does look a little better without the camera moving about to focus on individual members. Maybe I'm being unfair, I think I may have been spoilt by how amazing the choreography for One More is.

I just can't get over the beginning. it's basically marching band stuff.

Peru

Yeah Red Light (album) is great. A notch more 'urban' than pink tape but in a good way, keeping it fresh and light on its feet. Some big choruses. Milk is too lush on headphones. Rainbow. Two last tracks not as strong as the others but better than the pink tape ballad.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My thoughts on Red Light:

PUT

SOME

STANK

ONIT

jfc sm you have no badness in your soul

Pendulum

I've only watched the Red Light MV once, and that was on a mobile, but the album is clearly the most interesting release this year. Not sure how I'd rank it against Pink Tape just yet, but I could listen to it the entire day and that's a good thing.

----

No one spammed Kyungri for her birthday? Come here...
LimevsKyungri.gif

----

It's July so it must be time for a mid-year survey!

Cheers for this.

----

Girl’s Day’s Sojin Shares Her Startling Story About Seeing a Pervert. I bet he wish he ran into Seohyun instead.

----

Top Bottom