• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

ultra7k

Finally with a desktop. Recommend what is good GAF, drama wise.

+1 for Secret Garden and A Gentleman's Dignity if you haven't seen either of them yet.

I liked My Love from Another Star, but YMMV

Other dramas that may interest you:
Dr. Stranger
Empress Ki (watched initially for Ha Ji Won, stayed for the story)
Trot Lovers (I'm thoroughly enjoying this right now)
City Hunter

All I can think of at the moment.

dokish

Banned
Will give Trot Lovers a chance.

Before my pc got fucked I remember one drama about a business woman in her 30s faling in love with a very young man. Anyone knows the name?

Also, is Miss Korea good? I watched until episode 6 or something, then I broke my PC :(

Vazduh

Will give Trot Lovers a chance.

Oh, lord, please don't do that. I'm watching that show, there are two episodes left, and while the first ten episodes were cute, the show took a turn for the shitter in the 10th episode, after
one of the characters got injured and got amnesia.

Basically, it jumped the shark. Before watching the show, I was really looking forward to a light-hearted story about show-business, and it kind of started off like that, but the show I'm watching at the moment couldn't be farther from that.

Jung Eun Ji, Shin Sung Rok and Ji Hyun Woo all did a great job, it's just that the material they had to work with was crap.

Oh, and you know what else I hate about Trot Lovers? The fact that everyone arrives just in time to overhear something important. Literally half of the series' plot wouldn't have advanced if it wasn't for someone overhearing another character. It's just lazy writing.

llehuty

You should watch Fashion King, got excellent reviews from giri and milkham. They said the ending was an unforgettable experience.

j/k

Edit: Now seriously, I recommend Emergency Couple, but is the only k-drama I've watched, so I can't compare it to the others mentioned here, but I think it's a solid show. It has this cute comedy look, but it gets very depressive and sad at times.

milkham

You should watch Fashion King, got excellent reviews from giri and milkham. They said the ending was an unforgettable experience.

j/k

Edit: Now seriously, I recommend Emergency Couple, but is the only k-drama I've watched, so I can't compare it to the others mentioned here, but I think it's a solid show. It has this cute comedy look, but it gets very depressive and sad at times.

i was getting ready to kick you

JKTrix

I will always pimp Giant, as someone who prefers ambitious and suspenseful drama over romantically driven plots. 60 episodes, won multiple awards (not just from its own channel) and was consistently the top rated show for its time slot while it aired.

Not a lot of eye candy though, if that's something that is a critical factor. A lot of old dudes.

Pendulum

Jaekyung in LA
BudgOeBCEAA_3VH.jpg
Budh38yCUAABpyJ.jpg

this narrator for the jung show is too much... or too little... his calm tone describing their behavior sounds like a wildlife documentary

It is a wildlife documentary!

I actually find it amazing how they're so carefree on the show, like it sometimes feels like they're acting. Maybe I'm just jaded as hell, but yeah it feels weird lol.

Some of my faves:
Secret Garden
Reply 1997
A Gentleman's Dignity

If only you liked Suzy, then we can be bros.

Oh, lord, please don't do that.

Is it really that bad? I wanted to watch it for my tangerine Eunji haha.

Vazduh

Is it really that bad? I wanted to watch it for my tangerine Eunji haha.

She's lovely and probably the main reason why I'll finish the show (aside from Shin Sung Rok, who took me by surprise by his acting, especially after his turn in You Who Came From The Stars). If you decide to watch it, just know that you'll be in for some extremely irritating cliches.

Pendulum

Pitchfork's 20 Essential K-Pop Songs

f(x) - Shadow
Gain - Tinkerbell
Orange Caramel - Catallena
CL + G-Dragon + Diplo - Dirty Vibe
f(x) - Rum Pum Pum Pum
EXO - Love Love Love
Infinite - The Chaser
TVXQ! - Honey Funny Bunny
Girl's Day - Nothing Lasts Forever
Girls' Generation - I Got A Boy
Gain - Fxxk U
IU - A Lost Puppy
Beast - Fiction (Orchestra Ver.)
2NE1 - Missing You
SHINee - One Minute Back
Brown Eyed Girls - Sixth Sense
Girl's Day - Expectation
Neon Bunny - It's You
f(x) - Red Light
Girls' Generation - Gee
Pitchfork's

ryan-ts

I will always pimp Giant, as someone who prefers ambitious and suspenseful drama over romantically driven plots. 60 episodes, won multiple awards (not just from its own channel) and was consistently the top rated show for its time slot while it aired.

Not a lot of eye candy though, if that's something that is a critical factor. A lot of old dudes.

60 episodes is a lot for a K-drama but I'm going to check it out.

Speaking of Irene, someone posted this rumor on irc last night. At first I assumed it was bullshit. While the Japanese market is obviously the golden goose, an entirely Japanese sub unit is unheard of (afaik). When I checked it out again today though, I noticed he had posted some pictures of possible members, obviously taken from the Happiness mv. I checked it out again, and sure enough, they're all there. At the beginning, when the lips are talking. Who could they be?

Hd72Mz4.jpg
DyamJEU.png
TyYCI2r.png
8scpACE.png
Kxlo8M4.jpg
KpBjA9Z.png

Edit 2: So, it looks like the Spica MV for "I Did It" was uploaded a few days ago . No one noticed (unless they only just now made it a public video?). This is their US debut track.

Narae, damn. What the fuck is wrong with whoever edited the mv? There is a distinct lack of airtime for Narae. Either way, I like the song for the most part. The rap part made me cringe. Shame it's an English release. It'll just be another Love Alone with way too few live performances.

The Greatest Love

I second these two, especially Dae Jang Geum. Best kdrama by far. The Greatest Love was a positive surprise for me. Not usually that fond of romcoms, but The Greatest Love is definitely the best one and worth a watch. Aside from these two, I would recommend Thorn Birds. Criminally underrated kdrama. Don't think anyone else here has seen it.

Flowers For My Life (aka I Came in Search of a Flower) is an excellent drama. Starts off as something goofy and soon after the first few episodes turns into something profound. I don't think I'll ever forget the ending.

Will be checking out these two. Especially Giant. Sounds like East of Eden, which I really liked, just with with much more revenge.

In other news, I nominate www.asianwiki.com as the go to wiki site for kdramas, and not d-addicts. It's got trailers and shit.

ultra7k

I was a huge Finkl fan back in the day (still sort of am, WHERE IS THE REUNION??!) and I always thought Waiting For You was their best track ever. I remember the song was used in a commercial way back when (I can't recall the product), and they only ever performed it a handful of time on music stages, so anytime I got to see it "live" was a blast.

This definitely doesn't not feel like 15 years ago...where has the time gone...

milkham

I was a huge Finkl fan back in the day (still sort of am, WHERE IS THE REUNION??!) and I always thought Waiting For You was their best track ever. I remember the song was used in a commercial way back when (I can't recall the product), and they only ever performed it a handful of time on music stages, so anytime I got to see it "live" was a blast.

This definitely doesn't not feel like 15 years ago...where has the time gone...

I was an S.E.S. fan, i liked some of Finkl's songs but maaaan their choreography was awful.

not the commercial you're thinking of but: http://youtu.be/obgva0tN_b0
I don't remember why these two ended up like this exactly, youtube was giving me issues with the music matching something in their db back then so i had to do something
http://youtu.be/0WHps6BIduU
http://youtu.be/W8n365pRCpU

edit:
is this it? http://youtu.be/5JEIQYK0PpY

luso

I don't buy that rumour. I could believe if it can be another, and only one, girl group but unrelated to Red Velvet. Probably those in the MV are trainees or are in fact the upcoming group rooster
SM is already stretched to handle all the groups, would they now do an EXO version for 3 countries? Hard to believe.
On another note, with upcoming TTS, and most of them busy, with other comebacks pending and maybe another SM group next year (another rumour says a boyband) I can only foreseen a soshi korean comeback next late Spring at most. At this point and since The Boys, SM is relying less and less on SNSD's music promotions.

Speaking of Irene, someone posted this rumor on irc last night. At first I assumed it was bullshit. While the Japanese market is obviously the golden goose, an entirely Japanese sub unit is unheard of (afaik). When I checked it out again today though, I noticed he had posted some pictures of possible members, obviously taken from the Happiness mv. I checked it out again, and sure enough, they're all there. At the beginning, when the lips are talking. Who could they be?

Hd72Mz4.jpg
DyamJEU.png
TyYCI2r.png
8scpACE.png
Kxlo8M4.jpg
KpBjA9Z.png
This sounds like a really cool thing and I would like it to be true because it sounds cool and stupid. #TeamBlueVelvet?

Hellix

Will the Yellow subunit be called the Yellow Submarine? How about Blue
Da Ba Dee
?

giri

JFC

SPICA

PLZ

SLAYED

#belly.

j/k

lol.

Ym1r

she looks so depressed in that picture

scrolled through my j-pop playlist talking about aoa/apink debuts in irc

saw EIEN.

forgot how much I loved that song damnnnnnnn its so good.

Woah that Sojin pic is nightmare fuel.
Or maybe she's mad Yura and Minah got dudes in their lives.

Speaking of ships, I think I'm gonna start supporting the San E/Raina ship. The pair look really good in that song they have, like if I didn't know any better, I'd sure bet that they've got something going on irl. Also, I think I'm stanning Raina now over
Lizzy and
Jooyeon, she's hella cute lol.

The other ship, one that I don't really support, Fany/Khun ship... it's blatantly obvious in JeKry that it's real. Not that I had doubts, but the Fany in JeKry is a lot different than the Fany before it was announced. Also, Victoria is 28?! Holy hell, I thought she was around Krystal's age.

Anyway, JeKry confirms one thing... idol life is a sad sad life. I really like how there's no filter on the show about irl, and yeah from all the talks Soshi and f(x) had, it really seems idol life is utter shit. I think I'd actually prefer my life right now than being in their shoes tbh.

Pendulum

Red Velvet pics

On the way to Music Bank today

----

Speaking of ships, I think I'm gonna start supporting the San E/Raina ship. The pair look really good in that song they have, like if I didn't know any better, I'd sure bet that they've got something going on irl. Also, I think I'm stanning Raina now over
Lizzy and
Jooyeon, she's hella cute lol.

Also, Victoria is 28?! Holy hell, I thought she was around Krystal's age.

Raina and San E were on Hello Counselor recently if you want some wind for the sails.

Also, there's a reason she's called "Vic-umma" :)

Ym1r

It may be ugly but it's brilliant imo. Usually you pick out prominent features in order to identify people in new groups, but now you can just pick a color and people will know. It lets people who want to be fans get into the group quicker. Now you don't have to be like "I like that one girl with the brown hair and awkward square jaw but is still qt" and have people be like which one?

SM is idol master mayngs

Finally with a desktop. Recommend what is good GAF, drama wise.

Late to the party on this one but depending what you want I'll second City Hunter and add Tree with Deep Roots and Moon that Embraces the Sun >_>;

Vazduh was pretty much spot on with Trot Lovers. For 10 episodes it was pretty awesome and full of Eun Ji but it definately dropped a lot after that. It was always super predictable and cliche though.

#teamundecidedIrenevsSeulgi

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

#teamirene

Styling has some issues, song is kinda meh. It's no Pretty Pretty that's for sure.

Edit 2: So, it looks like the Spica MV for "I Did It" was uploaded a few days ago . No one noticed (unless they only just now made it a public video?). This is their US debut track.
LMAOOOO did they write the song in Korean and then translate to English or something? So bad.
Jiwon solo version pls.

Well their list fucking sucks.

Work fucking sucked tonight. Time to be lazy with jungsis.

Top Bottom