• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

ramyeon

I like the video for Ah Yeah, it is indeed clever. I doubt it'll replicate the success of Up&Down but it's probably going to be a grower too.

Will listen to the EP eventually, currently without internet at home and have no idea when it will be fixed.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did we post tipsy IU after soju tasting and cocktail making session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gneKDHT2o
We just selfishly talked about it in chat.

Edit: <33333333333333

261C8846551E96C91B34C5

llehuty

Also, llehuty often bemoans cheap sax samples and I have to agree with him in this case.

So, I kind of like the song. It's weird, because they played it too safe, but I think it's, over all, an improvement from Up & Down. Chorus and verses meld better and the verses are more interesting. I even don't mind the cheap sax sample in this one.

Hnnnnng. I need this now
Even if the song sounds like something Brave Bros would do.

Did we post tipsy IU after soju tasting and cocktail making session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gneKDHT2o

Lmao. She is awesome.

ramyeon

So, a Pharkil Ah Yeah fancam just got blocked. Exid's company is so retarded...

So much for being thankful of Pharkil's Hani fancam. I would delete it if I were him.
So it's Sony Music blocking them, not Yedang Entertainment or EXID themselves. Pretty sure they have no choice but to be thankful, all things considered. Seems more like it's an automated thing from Sony Music blocking videos with instances to the song. Would be nice if it stopped.

ramyeon

I don't care if it's Sony or Yedang, it's just retarded. Not any single korean company that I'm aware of blocks fancams.
Sony's just their distributor. The company that has been releasing the PR about fancams is Yedang Entertainment. That's the difference.

But yes, it sucks.

llehuty

I went back to OT5 to check what where the reactions to Up & Down release.

Well. Not even drugs can explain that mv.
That's some next level clusterfuck.
Never going to watch that again.

Not sure about the MV...
Loving the song tho.

It's so good tho.

ibskwV4obo3qep.gif

So true. Songs really good. I dunno who produces Exid tracks but they usually have good bass lines, and this one delivers.

I didn't remember it getting this good feedback for some reason.

llehuty

New solo artist made her debut today: Shin Sizu (aka Shin Ji Soo)

[MV] Shin Zisu(&#49888;&#51648;&#49688;) _ Hey Jude (Feat. Sleeq)
[Audio] Shin Zisu(&#49888;&#51648;&#49688;) - LISTEN (feat. Loco(&#47196;&#44844;))
[Lyric Video] Shin Zisu(&#49888;&#51648;&#49688;) _ Looks like EX(X &#44057;&#51008; &#44536;&#45376;)
[Pre-listening] Shin Zisu(&#49888;&#51648;&#49688;) Debut Mini Album ’20’S PARTY 1’

She comes from the 3rd season of Superstar K (4 years ago) and has written 4 out of the 6 tracks in her debut mini album. She iscurrently signed under Loen Tree.

Really interesting debut.

[Teaser 3] Dalshabet(&#45804;&#49380;&#48307;) _ [JOKER IS ALIVE] Highlight Medley (&#51204;&#44257; &#48120;&#47532;&#46307;&#44592;)

Joker sounds like a complete step back after B.B.B :(
Waiting for the full thing but hype is quickly deflating.

Pendulum

I've enjoyed listening to EXID's new mini. Even the fillers are nice little bops.

I'm assuming "&#50500;&#49836;&#54644;" was the previous title track, and while it has its own merits, I am happy they went with a tune that helps to shore up their new-found support ("Ah Yeah" currently #3 on Melon). I can wait one more comeback for ST/LE to change it up.
We also need one of Pharkil's "Every Night" fancams to get views so that it can get a second promotion cycle.

----

&#48660;&#46973;&#48708; &#48148;&#49828;&#53440;&#51592;(Block B - BASTARZ) - &#54408;&#54665;&#51228;&#47196; Official Music Video

Block B doing what Block B does

Ohhh I really like EXID's new song, wasn't a huge fan of up&down. Mostly the verses with LE's rap woven throughout sound really cool. Cool MV visually as well, together with the point they're making about censorship. The teaser didn't do it justice. Also the 'ah yeah yeah yeah' reminds me so much of MBLAQ's debut song, lol.

Dal Shabet's highlight teaser gave me life as well. Their mini-albums (all 7 of them + a full album) are really solid, with rarely a filler track. I might be biased, but otherwise I wouldn't be a fan either so. Can't wait for the release.

Sami+

We talk about that here too.

Word! Well in that case -

I'm looking for some new stuff similar to what I already like. My all time favorite band is Casker. Juuno's instrumentation and melodies are extremely well constructed and Yung's voice is absolutely beautiful. I'd absolutely love to hear more from them or more like them, especially since it's been three years since their last album now. Juuno's solo project was cool but all he did afaik was one really short EP. I loved it but there's really not enough to chew on here lol. I love Fanny Fink's first album but I wasn't too keen on their second. I don't know if they've done any more since. Han Hee Jung is really good too, I like her. Found out about her when Casker remixed the song I linked for the Pastel Music anniversary album.

Any recommendations? I don't like K-Pop.

edit - oh also I love love love Clazziquai and I really like Humming Urban Stereo

Peru

The EXID EP is sooo good. I can see why they chose what they did for title track but &#53664;&#45797;&#53664;&#45797; was clearly meant for greater things, there's some zion t funk in there, and if I ran the label I'd put it out as a buzz single, tickle people with a different side to EXID, and _then_ come back with an 'Ah Yeah' for greater effect.

Still though, it took a few listens before I got Ah Yeah's modus operandi and now it makes so much sense. It's in no way another Up Down, the way, as mentioned above, LE's rap verses are woven into all the other verses, punctuating each part, is brilliant, gives the song buoyancy.

Pendulum

Prosecutor asking for 5 years jail time for Bumkey.
At the 8th trial, the prosecutor demanded Bumkey be sentenced to five years in prison and pay a fine of 570 million won (approximately $520,000 USD) after relaying the evidence gathered during the trial from witnesses who claimed that they bought ecstasy and philopon from Bumkey.

ramyeon

I'm looking for some new stuff similar to what I already like. My all time favorite band is Casker. Juuno's instrumentation and melodies are extremely well constructed and Yung's voice is absolutely beautiful. I'd absolutely love to hear more from them or more like them, especially since it's been three years since their last album now. Juuno's solo project was cool but all he did afaik was one really short EP. I loved it but there's really not enough to chew on here lol. I love Fanny Fink's first album but I wasn't too keen on their second. I don't know if they've done any more since. Han Hee Jung is really good too, I like her. Found out about her when Casker remixed the song I linked for the Pastel Music anniversary album.

edit - oh also I love love love Clazziquai and I really like Humming Urban Stereo
Good taste! Always good to have more K-indie discussion in here. I'd post some links with these names to videos but unfortunately I have to make do with my cell phone connection at the moment and have pretty limited data/patience. But you'll probably be able to find heaps by just searching for them on YouTube. I will link to artists' Bandcamp pages when I know they have one.

Donawhale have a great shoegazey sound, unfortunately they only had one album release and then kind of faded into obscurity after that. The one album is fantastic though.

If you're into electronic stuff then Glen Check are one of the bigger names to check out, but I also suggest Bye Bye Badman's newest digital single Youth Wave - kind of chilled out, 80s inspired dance. Bye Bye Badman actually used to be more of an indie rock act, but they've changed up their style a lot recently.

Also on the electronic front make sure you check out Yukari if you haven't - she's one of the most popular newcomers to the scene at the moment. I honestly prefer Oh Hee Jung (She used to be the vocalist for the band Beautiful Days) and the two EPs she's put out are both fantastic, along with the remix EP as well.

Googoplex are also great, very chillwave with more minimal vocals.

One of my personal favourites recently was Saram12Saram's debut EP. Great chillwave, best heard on vinyl on a rainy day.

Also check out Saebyeok's EP Rise from the ashes, it's great.

Azin (&#50500;&#51652;) recently came out with a surprise EP that was FANTASTIC electronic pop. Definitely try and check out the lead single &#50896;&#54620;&#45796;&#47732; (Delete)'s MV on YouTube.

Magic Strawberry Sound (An indie label) have a bandcamp page with lots of great stuff on it. Rainbow99 and his side project Okoorookoo are strong recommendations from me. Definitely check out Rainbow99's album SEOUL. Yozoh is also a safe bet if you like Han Hee Jung, check out her latest release, it's a lot more mature than her past works. OKDAL are also great fun.

As far as more traditional indie and acoustic stuff goes then I really like Sesame and Cotton Candy (&#52280;&#44648;&#50752; &#49564;&#49324;&#53461;), Cranfield, Fromm's debut LP was one of my top releases of 2013 and I still come back to it today her follow up album Moonbow recently came out too.

There is heaps more that I haven't covered, didn't bother covering stuff that Loci posted either but definitely check those out too.

ryan-ts

Crime Scene Season 2 episode 2 already subbed

This show is so good. Just the concept alone is great, but the writing is what definitely makes the show. I wasn't sure about the whole interpretation side of things, but it really works. I have to check the first season asap.

Yeah it's good. I already watched all of Season 1. Figuring out who the criminal is can be hard because you can only go off the evidence the players have found. I love how they build up evidence for two or three characters over the course of an episode, really keeps things interesting for the viewer and helps the players stay involved as well.

jokkir

Aw yeahh. Casker.

Probably one of my top artists. Fantastic music.

Good taste! Always good to have more K-indie discussion in here. I'd post some links with these names to videos but unfortunately I have to make do with my cell phone connection at the moment and have pretty limited data/patience. But you'll probably be able to find heaps by just searching for them on YouTube. I will link to artists' Bandcamp pages when I know they have one.

Donawhale have a great shoegazey sound, unfortunately they only had one album release and then kind of faded into obscurity after that. The one album is fantastic though.

If you're into electronic stuff then Glen Check are one of the bigger names to check out, but I also suggest Bye Bye Badman's newest digital single Youth Wave - kind of chilled out, 80s inspired dance. Bye Bye Badman actually used to be more of an indie rock act, but they've changed up their style a lot recently.

Also on the electronic front make sure you check out Yukari if you haven't - she's one of the most popular newcomers to the scene at the moment. I honestly prefer Oh Hee Jung (She used to be the vocalist for the band Beautiful Days) and the two EPs she's put out are both fantastic, along with the remix EP as well.

One of my personal favourites recently was Saram12Saram's debut EP. Great chillwave, best heard on vinyl on a rainy day.

Azin (&#50500;&#51652;) recently came out with a surprise EP that was FANTASTIC electronic pop. Definitely try and check out the lead single &#50896;&#54620;&#45796;&#47732; (Delete)'s MV on YouTube.

Magic Strawberry Sound (An indie label) have a bandcamp page with lots of great stuff on it. Rainbow99 and his side project Okoorookoo are strong recommendations from me. Definitely check out Rainbow99's album SEOUL. Yozoh is also a safe bet if you like Han Hee Jung, check out her latest release, it's a lot more mature than her past works. OKDAL are also great fun.

As far as more traditional indie and acoustic stuff goes then I really like Sesame and Cotton Candy (&#52280;&#44648;&#50752; &#49564;&#49324;&#53461;), Cranfield, Fromm's debut LP was one of my top releases of 2013 and I still come back to it today her follow up album Moonbow recently came out too.

There is heaps more that I haven't covered, didn't bother covering stuff that Loci posted either but definitely check those out too.

We need a non-kpop thread for music, me thinks. Something like the Japanese music thread but we'd need our own Kurita

ramyeon

We need a non-kpop thread for music, me thinks. Something like the Japanese music thread but we'd need our own Kurita
I don't think it necessarily needs it's own thread. I mean it'd be nice to have this known as a "Korean Music" community thread as opposed to purely being K-Pop. I do try to post interesting new releases from indie artists here whenever I get the chance.

Pendulum

I don't think it necessarily needs it's own thread. I mean it'd be nice to have this known as a "Korean Music" community thread as opposed to purely being K-Pop. I do try to post interesting new releases from indie artists here whenever I get the chance.

tumblr_nmjmflpfi71qz9daco1_500.gif

----

Edit: Admirable effort by the Running Man cast to inject some fun into the boring games suggested by fans in this week's episode.

This show is so good. Just the concept alone is great, but the writing is what definitely makes the show. I wasn't sure about the whole interpretation side of things, but it really works. I have to check the first season asap.

I can't believe I just watched this instead of spending those 90 minutes playing GTAV on PC.

It's seriously a testament on how great the show is.

Yeah it's good. I already watched all of Season 1. Figuring out who the criminal is can be hard because you can only go off the evidence the players have found. I love how they build up evidence for two or three characters over the course of an episode, really keeps things interesting for the viewer and helps the players stay involved as well.

One of the issues the show has is the ridiculously vague evidence scattered throughout.

For example, that last bit of evidence Hani found against Artist Hong... it was written in a way that will definitely convince you he's the suspect. Whereas the evidence they missed regarding the actual suspect in the newspaper or whatever... like how the fnck are you supposed to make that connection??? It wasn't even decisive evidence when you really think about it.

The moment that the suspect's motive was revealed though, that was when I realized it was that person. The motive was just too blatant to convince me otherwise. I actually don't understand how almost everyone missed it except for that one guy.

That said, it really is a fantastic show. I'm a huge sucker for murder mysteries so despite those nitpicks, I really don't mind it since I get to participate in the show by forming up my own conclusions.

broz0rs

I don't like K-Pop.

All your songs were solid. Here's a few from my YouTube playlist that's similar.

Coffee Boy - That's Nothing

No Reply - Just Looking at You is Nice

Autumn Vacation - There Are Times When I Want to Hug You Like Crazy

Interesting you mentioned Pastel Music label. My favorite album last year was from one of their acts, Herz Analog. Here's their super awesome single:

Herz Analog - Love Counselling

Feel free to talk about Korean music, there's people here that definitely would appreciate it.

No No Eul

I must admit I've been wondering whether the next thread could maybe do with a name change. I feel there's enough non-mainstream K-Pop talk to warrant it. It'd be interesting to hear what others think.

Of course we could always just leave it as is and go on discussing the fairly wide range of stuff that we usually do.

ramyeon

I must admit I've been wondering whether the next thread could maybe do with a name change. I feel there's enough non-mainstream K-Pop talk to warrant it. It'd be interesting to hear what others think.

Of course we could always just leave it as is and go on discussing the fairly wide range of stuff that we usually do.
I'd welcome a name change, personally. Although I'm not sure if the majority would agree or not. It'd also help dispel the thought that K-pop is the only type of music in Korea, something which is way too common.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That has a much fresher sound then Ah Yeah, and it plays to my R&B/funk sensibilities so I can't argue with that. I agree that Ah Yeah is not a restyled Up & Down. It shares some sounds, but it's very different, and lesser, in every other way. Beat, structure, transitions, vamps, impact, melodies, layers, ornamental touches... I'm not really feeling it. It's way less fresh, cohesive, and playful compared to Up & Down.

llehuty

I think doing seperated threads for indie and k-pop music is a bit stupid. The distinction is so arbitrary musically speaking. Like is Nell k-indie? Is Davichi k-pop? Does IU latest releases count as k-pop because she is popular? Both terms are quite wide and there is plenty of overlapping IMO.
Also nobody said in here that they didn't like k-indie music,
which unfortunately is not the case with k-pop :/

I would be in for a separate SNSD thread though.
Just kidding... kind of :p

#TeamAhYeah
But let's not kid ourselves, both songs have the same vibe despite the different structure. Also, do the blonde chick and Solji have the exactly same voice? It seems like Solji is singing the whole chorus (not complaining, I love that girl).

For Loc: &#47532;&#45572;(Lee-Nu) - &#44201; &#46504;&#50612;&#51648;&#44172;(Feat. EB of Black Swan)

#hashtag(&#54644;&#49884;&#53468;&#44536;): Shin Zisu(&#49888;&#51648;&#49688;) _ Hey Jude(&#54756;&#51060; &#51452;&#46300;)
This girl is cool. Glad she is in Loen Tree.

One of the issues the show has is the ridiculously vague evidence scattered throughout.

For example, that last bit of evidence Hani found against Artist Hong... it was written in a way that will definitely convince you he's the suspect. Whereas the evidence they missed regarding the actual suspect in the newspaper or whatever... like how the fnck are you supposed to make that connection??? It wasn't even decisive evidence when you really think about it.

The moment that the suspect's motive was revealed though, that was when I realized it was that person. The motive was just too blatant to convince me otherwise. I actually don't understand how almost everyone missed it except for that one guy.

That said, it really is a fantastic show. I'm a huge sucker for murder mysteries so despite those nitpicks, I really don't mind it since I get to participate in the show by forming up my own conclusions.

The show needs to be ambiguous with the clues, and they need to give somewhat solid motives to 2/3 or characters to keep the tension during the 90 minutes.

For me the decesive "clue" was when
The guard said to that group of three that he found the weapon, but he was the only one able to see it (I think the guy dodged it quite nicely when asked by the detective). Also, the Guard clothes being nowhere to be found was bugging me out.

Anyway, I think I read in the subs at the end of the episode that they were going to reveal the full story next week. I'm really interested on seeing what else they missed.

ramyeon

A day later I'm preferring Ah Yeah to Up & Down. Not as immediately catchy but it's the better song in my opinion. &#53664;&#45797;&#53664;&#45797; is also fantastic.

Laieon

I'd be up for something as drastic as a "Korean Media General" (obviously a better name would be nice). I mean hell, even on this page there's a Running Man gif.

Sami+

Aw yeahh. Casker.

Probably one of my top artists. Fantastic music.

All your songs were solid. Here's a few from my YouTube playlist that's similar.

Coffee Boy - That's Nothing

No Reply - Just Looking at You is Nice

Autumn Vacation - There Are Times When I Want to Hug You Like Crazy

Interesting you mentioned Pastel Music label. My favorite album last year was from one of their acts, Herz Analog. Here's their super awesome single:

Herz Analog - Love Counselling

Feel free to talk about Korean music, there's people here that definitely would appreciate it.

Oh wow, thanks a lot for the recommendations you guys. I'll try to check these out as soon as I have some free time. I appreciate it. :)

As for starting a new thread - my word is obviously worth much less here as an outsider looking in, but for what it is worth, I personally felt really deterred by all the idol discussion before posting. I don't want to sound mean about it or anything, I'm just really not interested in looking at or discussing idol culture when I want to talk to some of you guys about Korean electro, house, or rap music (which is some of the best I've ever heard personally).

It just seems like the majority of the posts in here are about idol stuff - K-Pop songs, concerts, photos, and TV. There's an argument to be made for the overlap in the music sure but as far as I'm aware there isn't a ridiculous amount of overlap between the indie music scene and all of the idol stuff, at least not enough for it to all be shoved into one giant thread where, for instance, a link to a new Casker song is going to get lost between Running Man gifs and pictures from photo ops and gifs of idol girls looking out a window and waving.

Anyway, that's just my perspective on that. I don't want to seem like I'm bursting in here criticizing the thread or anything.

I'd be up for something as drastic as a "Korean Media General" (obviously a better name would be nice). I mean hell, even on this page there's a Running Man gif.

If anything, it should be "Korean culture thread", but that's not going to reflect that the main focus and 90% of the posts are about music.

Isn't that way too broad a topic though?

llehuty

If anything, it should be "Korean culture thread", but that's not going to reflect that the main focus and 90% of the posts are about music.

Top Bottom