• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

ramyeon

Yeah, Korean Music Thread would be fine imo.
Oh wow, thanks a lot for the recommendations you guys. I'll try to check these out as soon as I have some free time. I appreciate it. :)

As for starting a new thread - my word is obviously worth much less here as an outsider looking in, but for what it is worth, I personally felt really deterred by all the idol discussion before posting. I don't want to sound mean about it or anything, I'm just really not interested in looking at or discussing idol culture when I want to talk to some of you guys about Korean electro, house, or rap music (which is some of the best I've ever heard personally).

It just seems like the majority of the posts in here are about idol stuff - K-Pop songs, concerts, photos, and TV. There's an argument to be made for the overlap in the music sure but as far as I'm aware there isn't a ridiculous amount of overlap between the indie music scene and all of the idol stuff, at least not enough for it to all be shoved into one giant thread where, for instance, a link to a new Casker song is going to get lost between Running Man gifs and pictures from photo ops and gifs of idol girls looking out a window and waving.

Anyway, that's just my perspective on that. I don't want to seem like I'm bursting in here criticizing the thread or anything.
Definitely sympathise with where you're coming from. The idol stuff does tend to eclipse anything lesser known in here, especially if it's a high profile release or if someone posts a pic spam or whatever. The more people browsing that are interested in different types of music then the more of that kind of discussion there will be, however. There's actually quite a bit of interest and discussion in here with regards to Korean hip-hop and rap. Indie music less so, but like I said before I do try to post indie releases that interest me every now and then and more often than not the response is good.

A separate thread isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't be put off about discussing it in here either.

Peru

It would be silly to separate Korean indie or whatever other forms of music from so-called k-pop discussion, they're often one and the same or intertwined in various combinations and set-ups and it would only encourage the forced, unnatural separation of pop and other genres as some fundamentally different things.

llehuty

As for starting a new thread - my word is obviously worth much less here as an outsider looking in, but for what it is worth, I personally felt really deterred by all the idol discussion before posting. I don't want to sound mean about it or anything, I'm just really not interested in looking at or discussing idol culture when I want to talk to some of you guys about Korean electro, house, or rap music (which is some of the best I've ever heard personally).

It just seems like the majority of the posts in here are about idol stuff - K-Pop songs, concerts, photos, and TV. There's an argument to be made for the overlap in the music sure but as far as I'm aware there isn't a ridiculous amount of overlap between the indie music scene and all of the idol stuff, at least not enough for it to all be shoved into one giant thread where, for instance, a link to a new Casker song is going to get lost between Running Man gifs and pictures from photo ops and gifs of idol girls looking out a window and waving.

Anyway, that's just my perspective on that. I don't want to seem like I'm bursting in here criticizing the thread or anything.

While I get your point, the overlap is quite big, moreso if you are counting korean rap, electro and house as korean indie. But I feel you are no longer talking about the music an you are attracted to other qualities of k-indie scene. Musically speaking the overlap is huge and I don't really understand saying you like k-indie (that for you includes rock, electro, house, rap) but you don't like k-pop (that has instances of including all those).

I'll post some links to prove my point later, since it's a bit annoying doing it from the phone.

I luv Coffeeboy (as linked on the previous page). He has such a charming voice. My fave song is 바보. Ah it's so cute.

Some other recommendations from me that aren't very 'indie' but I think quality nonetheless. Indie is such a weird term, like llehuty above me said so anyway:

Han Soa - 사과 (Apple/Confession)
She has awesome chill tracks. Some cute, some sad. It's very... almost IU (pre-scandal). Her 1st album (with this track headlining) is fairly innocent, she's been doing more mature tracks lately. Also pandering with very sexy performances, but her music is always just chill and nice to me. Also this track.​

Piggy Dolls - 사랑이 뭐길래 (What is love feat. Simon D)
I would've linked another song "사랑을 몰랐나봐" AKA "I did not know love" Feat. Dynamic Duo, but it ain't on Youtube. It's beautiful though! Piggy Dolls has some great upbeat and also good ballad songs on their full album they released. Just ignore their debut track.​

MIII - Perfume
Awesome singer from the house of 4MEN and Vibe, legendary ballad singers. Her full album 'Beautiful' is a recommendation with great ballads. She's been releasing a lot of material this year.​

Trabler - 트레블러 (Falling flowers)
This song is one of my fave borderline hip-hop, it mixes a few genres but does it well. The group was very promising, but disbanded after one single due to internal drama.​

Seo In Young - Anymore
Okay this is definitely a pop song, but it is GOOD. So good. Perhaps even the best. I love it.​

ikuze

If anything, it should be "Korean culture thread", but that's not going to reflect that the main focus and 90% of the posts are about music.
Yeah, Korean Music Thread would be fine imo.

How about "Korean Entertainment" or "Korean Media" as mentioned by Ryuelli. Considering the diversity of posts (music, variety shows, drama and what not) we have here. Culture would be too broad, IMO.

------------

#TeamAhYeah
So good, can't stop listening. The whole mini album is awesome.

Sami+

While I get your point, the overlap is quite big, moreso if you are counting korean rap, electro and house as korean indie. But I feel you are no longer talking about the music an you are attracted to other qualities of k-indie scene. Musically speaking the overlap is huge and I don't really understand saying you like k-indie (that for you includes rock, electro, house, rap) but you don't like k-pop (that has instances of including all those).

I'll post some links to prove my point later, since it's a bit annoying doing it from the phone.

What other qualities do you mean? I've never really thought about it in that way, I'm curious what you mean by that.

As for the overlap, I'm really just referring to idol culture and its discussion. It's practically synonymous with K-Pop as a genre from what I can tell, though perhaps I'm generalizing a bit too much. My point is that I think the photos, gifs, tweets, and so on gets enough exposure in these threads that it could very easily survive in its own thread. Korean Idol OT or K-Pop OT or something, with a separate Korean Music OT. In my opinion it'd be easier to introduce people to Korean music without having them scared off by all the idol stuff. Thank god Dokish got banned at least.

Peru

We did have a korean music thread with kpop and kindie, hiphop etc, all in one. A few years ago. Activity soon dropped off since people just posted about the music in this thread anyway.

Sami+

We did have a korean music thread with kpop and kindie, hiphop etc, all in one. A few years ago. Activity soon dropped off since people just posted about the music in this thread anyway.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. That's a shame. I only joined GAF in 2013 and didn't really start exploring the Community sections until this year.

For what it's worth I'd try to be as active as possible if we were to give it another shot.

edit - on a completely different note I've noticed that not much of Pastel's stuff is on Spotify. It's kind of annoying lol, since a lot of my favorite Korean musicians work for them. Humming Urban Stereo, Clazziquai, Standing Egg, J Rabbit, and The Black Skirts are all here but Casker, Fanny Fink, and Mad Soul Child (who I don't believe is Pastel but eh) are big losses imo.

jokkir

I don't think it necessarily needs it's own thread. I mean it'd be nice to have this known as a "Korean Music" community thread as opposed to purely being K-Pop. I do try to post interesting new releases from indie artists here whenever I get the chance.

I feel that the music recommendations, especially the non-idol ones, get often far too overshadowed by images of idols... and there's a lot of them. It doesn't help that the page loads slow sometimes either, especially on Chrome. And I feel that the reputation this thread has for being a "Pop" thread is making users stay away from the thread.

It would be silly to separate Korean indie or whatever other forms of music from so-called k-pop discussion, they're often one and the same or intertwined in various combinations and set-ups and it would only encourage the forced, unnatural separation of pop and other genres as some fundamentally different things.

I was thinking maybe separating the threads in terms of idol music/entertainment to one thread and non-idol to another. Yeah, a lot of it are similar to one another (especially borderline artists that's indie/kpop) but the separation would be good for people looking for music and entertainment that's not from the idols or variety shows.

I remember that. We could try again though :p

Peru

I was thinking maybe separating the threads in terms of idol music/entertainment to one thread and non-idol to another. Yeah, a lot of it are similar to one another (especially borderline artists that's indie/kpop) but the separation would be good for people looking for music and entertainment that's not from the idols or variety shows.

No.

I see the argument for music talk getting lost in photo spams, I made it myself when the other thread existed years ago, but separating various forms of K-music? No.

Sami+

No.

I see the argument for music talk getting lost in photo spams, I made it myself when the other thread existed years ago, but separating various forms of K-music? No.

Isn't that what he's saying though? An idol and non-idol thread. That's what I'm asking for, anyway.

Ym1r

Could always drop by in IRC if u wanna talk about stuff w/o getting lost in spam too. Though we tend to go off on tangents in IRC too, at least when somebody mentions something it gets a generally gets a little discussion before moving to a different topic.

I'm not really into k-pop musically, I really enjoy ballads and "indie" a lot more than it but I still enjoy the pics n stuff. I posted a huge ballad list a while ago that was mostly ignored by the thread :(.

Pendulum

Assemblywoman Choi Min Hee proposes a 'JYJ Law' to stop blacklisting artists without a justifiable reason
Assemblywoman Choi Min Hee recently proposed a bill to prevent banning, or 'blacklisting,' specific entertainers and artists from appearing on broadcast without a justifiable reason. This bill will be called the 'JYJ Law.'

The bill was proposed on April 13 by assemblywoman Choi Min Hee who outlined the controversy and lawsuit between SM Entertainment and JYJ to further help her proposal.

Assemblywoman Choi Min Hee stated, "Although The Korea Fair Trade Commission announced that idol group JYJ's previous label cannot interfere with the group's promotion on July 2013, JYJ is still unable to appear on music programs due to the broadcasting stations' unfair corporate practices. Sanctions are needed against TV stations and the label who is interfering with the group's appearances on music shows."

Just yesterday, Junsu appeared on EBS's 'Space Sympathy' after six years of being off air and was seen performing his hit tracks live.

Meanwhile, also on April 13, cultural analyst Ha Jae Geun commented on EBS News, "Despite the lawsuit ending in 2012, we have not been able to see Junsu or the other members on any shows. The reason for that is broadcast companies consider the fact that SM is a huge company and there is speculation that in order to cast SM idols, they need to distance themselves from JYJ, who do not have a good relationship with SM."

And related to that, but still in the rumor mill, "SM Is Paying Sites To Delete Positive Posts About Jessica” Trending"

llehuty

New Jinusean! Almost can't believe it still.

http://youtu.be/4_I1HXMcOoM

Fun track, lots of throwbacks in there too.

This is a really fun MV and fun song, but I could see myself forgetting it even existed in a month. Doesn't sound very memorable. *Keeps replaying just in case*

What other qualities do you mean? I've never really thought about it in that way, I'm curious what you mean by that.

As for the overlap, I'm really just referring to idol culture and its discussion. It's practically synonymous with K-Pop as a genre from what I can tell, though perhaps I'm generalizing a bit too much. My point is that I think the photos, gifs, tweets, and so on gets enough exposure in these threads that it could very easily survive in its own thread. Korean Idol OT or K-Pop OT or something, with a separate Korean Music OT. In my opinion it'd be easier to introduce people to Korean music without having them scared off by all the idol stuff. Thank god Dokish got banned at least.

Isn't that what he's saying though? An idol and non-idol thread. That's what I'm asking for, anyway.

Ok, I think I understand more or less what are you saying. You have a problem with the idol side of things, rather than k-pop music itself, right?. Fair enough.

Also, if people don't comment on something posted in this thread, it's not because it gets overshadowed by pic or gifs, it's because people just don't care enough to comment on it. The thread moves at a very sluggish pace since the irc channnel was made, and I find it really difficult to miss stuff checking the thread, even on a weekly basis. To put an example, last week, that was one of the most active ones this year, with SNSD, Exid and Dal shabet teasers/releases, had 5 pages (250 posts) while the previous week had less than 3 pages (150 posts). I post plenty of stuff that nobody comments on it, and it's fine, I know people that could be interested on it, probably read it.

This is still a community, and of course people come here for different things, I don't think anyone cares about every single thing posted in this thread, but overall I think we all share some common interests and can look through the things we are not interested in. If you want more indie music, my advice is ask about it, post about it.

Peru

'Idol' is a vague term at best, but if you mean one thread for music discussion, regardless of which music, and one for general pic spam, variety stuff, tv shows etc - sure, it makes sense, but I don't think it works. It didn't work back then and probably won't now.

milkham

one thread to rule them all guys

This is a really fun MV and fun song, but I could see myself forgetting it even existed in a month. Doesn't sound very memorable. *Keeps replaying just in case*

yeah it's fun but also seems to be missing something

igm3vdwtrAilG.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
'Idol' is a vague term at best, but if you mean one thread for music discussion, regardless of which music, and one for general pic spam, variety stuff, tv shows etc - sure, it makes sense, but I don't think it works. It didn't work back then and probably won't now.
The thing is, there is a large amount of posters that are mostly present for the pop scene, and a good measure of them will still comment on other stuff when it's brought up. If that stuff is in another thread, will they go to the non-pop/idol thread just to look for it? Not really. So it can seem like there is more of that going on than there is because plenty passively engage but don't actively pursue. As for pic spam, I don't see it in here as much. Might happen with soshi or nine muses comebacks, but otherwise IRC has sucked up a lot of it.

As for me, I just think that musically the kpop scene is doing waaaay more interesting stuff. Other Korean music often reminds me of American indie trends from 10-15 years ago made more boring. There are exceptions, but not many. Instead of shitting on everything, I just don't comment because the scene just is what it is, like the people not into idol music. BUT there is overlap, not everyone dislikes the majority as I do, and even I have stuff I enjoy still that I wouldn't go looking for, so I appreciate it being posted.

Selane

I don't really care either way, I just kind of feel bad for people that want to discuss music/tv or whatever and have to scroll past 8000 pics of Taeyeon to reach any actual discussion about anything.

No No Eul

I'd certainly be happiest if everything stayed the same as it is now (albeit with a name change to better reflect the content of the thread). I do enjoy the non-mainstream stuff that gets posted in here and I'd be sorry to see it go, although I'd totally understand if people wanted to branch off and do their own thing.

Also, to add to what llehuty said earlier, I hope people don't get disheartened when they post something and it doesn't get a response. I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of a lack of interest. Chances are someone does appreciate it and simply hasn't the time to respond. I've found myself in that situation plenty of times.

As for pic spam, I don't see it in here as much. Might happen with soshi or nine muses comebacks, but otherwise IRC has sucked up a lot of it.

Absolutely. It isn't nearly as prevalent as it used to be.

jokkir

No.

Hm, yeah, I agree actually now that i think more about it :p Maybe just music dedicated thread with much less images?

Sami+

Hm, yeah, I agree actually now that i think more about it :p Maybe just music dedicated thread with much less images?

my only image contribution for now

k_casker_journey.png

fuckin

casker <333333333

Actually, kind of funny story - one of my friends here at FSU has a friend who came here for foreign exchange from South Korea. I forget where... I asked, it was an island city (Jeju...?) but I don't remember the name exactly. Anyway though, we talked about music for a bit which was fun. She'd never heard of Casker, so I pulled up this video and showed her. She liked it, commented on how it was really sad. Also very different kind of sound. I gushed about them for a bit because they're the fucking best and no one can say otherwise before the convo moved to Primary and Epik High.

Was fun sharing it with someone who actually understood it, lol. I've not heard the lyrics to all their songs (only a few have been translated) so I'd love to get a general gist of what each one is about.

Actually, shit, if anyone here is fluent, what's this one about? It's one of my favorite songs (obviously, just look at the name haha), but all I can really guess is that it's about a disco robot hahaha. Not asking for a full translation of course 'cause that's a lot of work but just a general idea.

ramyeon

my only image contribution for now

k_casker_journey.png

fuckin

casker <333333333

Actually, kind of funny story - one of my friends here at FSU has a friend who came here for foreign exchange from South Korea. I forget where... I asked, it was an island city (Jeju...?) but I don't remember the name exactly. Anyway though, we talked about music for a bit which was fun. She'd never heard of Casker, so I pulled up this video and showed her. She liked it, commented on how it was really sad. Also very different kind of sound. I gushed about them for a bit because they're the fucking best and no one can say otherwise before the convo moved to Primary and Epik High.

Was fun sharing it with someone who actually understood it, lol. I've not heard the lyrics to all their songs (only a few have been translated) so I'd love to get a general gist of what each one is about.

Actually, shit, if anyone here is fluent, what's this one about? It's one of my favorite songs (obviously, just look at the name haha), but all I can really guess is that it's about a disco robot hahaha. Not asking for a full translation of course 'cause that's a lot of work but just a general idea.
There isn't really much to Discoid. Rough translation (Minus the English parts):

---

Time probably won't just come to a halt right?
Ever since the moment our eyes met...

I don't think I can just bear this feeling.
This night when I just can't sleep seems to fly by.

Please wind the springs in my legs (To operate me) forever.
Please implant the engine that heats up my soul.

At some point I've started to resemble you (Without realizing it).
I'm falling endlessly... Into that dance.

---

Basically appears to be about a "Disco Robot" that falls in love with a human.

Sami+

There isn't really much to Discoid. Rough translation (Minus the English parts):

Time probably won't just come to a halt right?
Ever since the moment our eyes met...

I don't think I can just bear this feeling.
This night when I just can't sleep seems to fly by.

Please wind the springs in my legs (To operate me) forever.
Please heat up the engine within my soul.

At some point I've started to resemble you (Without realizing it).
I'm falling endlessly... Into that dance.

Oh hey, thank you. :)

It's interesting, I've noticed that a lot of Casker's songs come from a very passive perspective, very often seemingly at the mercy of a mentally distant love interest. The last two lines in particular really speak to me.

Reminds me of another favorite of mine - Wonderful. Speaker is so taken with her love interest that she willingly ignores everything else and begs him to speak empty words of love to her. I really like the dissonance it has with the general tone of the melody.

man I just fuckin love casker dude they're the best

ramyeon

Oh hey, thank you. :)

It's interesting, I've noticed that a lot of Casker's songs come from a very passive perspective, very often seemingly at the mercy of a mentally distant love interest. The last two lines in particular really speak to me.

Reminds me of another favorite of mine - Wonderful. Speaker is so taken with her love interest that she willingly ignores everything else and begs him to speak empty words of love to her. I really like the dissonance it has with the general tone of the melody.

man I just fuckin love casker dude they're the best
Yeah Casker are fantastic, it's a crime that they're not more well known even in Korea.

Sami+

Wowzers this is fantastic!

( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Other personal Casker faves of mine:

Scent (check this one out first it's glorious)
Face You
You
Undo
Brutal Travel (a remix of a Han Hee Jung song)
&#50500;&#47924;&#46020; &#47784;&#47480;&#45796; (I have no idea what this means or says)

and there's still a lot coming to me but I'll stop here lmao

It's really sad that they're so unknown. They're really, really good.

Supposedly Dal Shabet's "Joker" already banned by KBS because they say it sounds like "jjot ka" (fuck you)

isn't that kind of extreme

on another note, on the rap side I really liked Mad Clown's Fire feat. Jinsil from Mad Soul Child. idk who this Mad Clown boi is, he's alright, but Jinsil kills it here. Dynamic Duo's In The Line of Fire feat. Mad Soul Child (lol) was also really rad.

tbh I don't really have a good source for this stuff, I just stumble on it by chance every once in a while. If any of you guys know a site or something I'd probably like I'd really appreciate a link

The show needs to be ambiguous with the clues, and they need to give somewhat solid motives to 2/3 or characters to keep the tension during the 90 minutes.

For me the decesive "clue" was when
The guard said to that group of three that he found the weapon, but he was the only one able to see it (I think the guy dodged it quite nicely when asked by the detective). Also, the Guard clothes being nowhere to be found was bugging me out.

Anyway, I think I read in the subs at the end of the episode that they were going to reveal the full story next week. I'm really interested on seeing what else they missed.

I agree but I think it's becoming a detriment to the actual cast as well. I've been watching season 1 and even there it's more blatantly obvious that these vague clues are also hurting the casts chances of finding the real criminal.

Speaking of season 1, that 30-something lawyer is seriously cute as fnck. Jiyoon and NS Yoon-G are already great lookers, but she's been catching my eye during her time on the show.

And speaking of cutesy shit, has anybody posted those K-Pop 101 videos KASPER is doing?

Asian Junkie posted a couple of her vids and she a totally arorable spaz. I was gonna watch for the insight and all that stuff, but I'm watching it for something else now lol.

Lastly, I almost forgot... yeah a general Korean music thread sounds good. I barely follow the the K-Pop side of things anyway, so it honestly doesn't matter to me. What matters is that we can discuss anything Korean related without people complaining or whatever. But of course, if we can somehow filter ourselves and add a tag or whatever at the start of the post signifying what it is, it'd be awesome but I'm not sure if any forum even has that feature.

Dice

pls, we don't need nana's beautiful face clogging up this riveting music discussion

Dice

This must mean the good songs are being saved for the new hotness, Minx. A wise decision.

luso

Welcome, newcomers.

Let's keep any music discussion in here, no need to split into separated threads.

Complains about pic spams? Jokingly I say check out past thread, Chrome users were constantly moaning and suffering. There were pic spam wars.

The pics stays, instead music discussions can get bigger in here.
I'm far from a expert anyway

Joker is still listenable, the problem is its structure is so predictable, is possible to foreseen what comes next on the first hearing.

Top Bottom