• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Fafnir

Lion Heart.
Really SM? Mr Pizza ad right at the beginning? Make that won baby.
Choreo looks fun, can't wait to see it live with the tassel outfits.
Dance version please, SM don't hold it hostage like MrMr.

vxuHwsg.gif
Sh2h2i1.gif

4f5ouA2.gif
AAcO6F3.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, are SNSD fans really that blind?

All the comments on reddit are talking about how great this is and some even calling it their best album yet already. I feel like I downloaded the wrong album.
I've been saying this since Hoot. Their love is religious, man.

neoism

That Apple has been through a lot over the years.

Cute little doo-wop! I like the little couple dance but the sudden squat made me lol.

I kinda actually like lion heart. It's much better than party imo.
lol the MV is nice and they all look fab.. but song is only ok.. not really good for repeated listens...

link to album

The 2nd half of the album will be released tomorrow
Lion Heart
PARTY
Fire Alarm
Green Light
Paradise
Bump It

neoism

Guys, it's because SNSD is being killed off slowly.

They're just throwing all the crappy tracks at SNSD to use because they know they'll sell well regardless, so whats the point in giving them the best, when they can use the best for their newer groups and get them more well known.

This is why SM is the best. Sucking out every last penny they can get out of a group that is closing in on its last days.

Brilliant really.
i hope we get at least 2 more japanese albums before the are done...

neoism

pretty ok first half of the album... paradise is meh and lion heart is ok but I like the others.... Fire Alarm really should have had a MV... best song .... bump it with that fake ballot at the begining... tae's voice <3
also damn fany with deem one liners &#128541;&#128517;

ramyeon

I think you're trying to find something in it that simply isn't there, you already said it, SNSD has never released a consistent album in Korea and probably never will. Both TTS minis are better than most SNSD Korean albums lol.
The same thing happened to me with the Wonder Girls album, i almost fell asleep listening to it, it's not bad, i just don't feel it at all.

Of the tracks released so far, i like Fire Alarm, Lion Heart and Bump It, the others are boring, i don't dislike Party but i already got bored of it.

LOL Tae.
Not sure what you mean by trying to find something that isn't there. Check out the album thread on Reddit - plenty of blind praising of what is a really lazy effort (So far, who knows, maybe the second half will blow me away - at this point I doubt it). And there are people calling it their best album yet.

Their first self titled album/Baby Baby repackage were pretty good for the time - but at this point I just can't let them go for phoning in albums like this just because they've already reached peak popularity. They're part of SM, who is giving interesting and frankly better music to just about all of their other groups at this point. There's NO reason why SNSD shouldn't be held to the same standards as their peers.
IGAB > Pink Tape
tumblr_lp0beyAcc21qdcel5o1_500.gif

IGAB as a song is great - the album though? Not sure what you're on. Pink Tape is one of the best albums released by a girl group in Korea in years. I can count the number of times I've gone back to listen to IGAB front to back on one hand.

neoism

Not sure what you mean by trying to find something that isn't there. Check out the album thread on Reddit - plenty of blind praising of what is a really lazy effort (So far, who knows, maybe the second half will blow me away - at this point I doubt it). And there are people calling it their best album yet.

Their first self titled album/Baby Baby repackage were pretty good for the time - but at this point I just can't let them go for phoning in albums like this just because they've already reached peak popularity. They're part of SM, who is giving interesting and frankly better music to just about all of their other groups at this point. There's NO reason why SNSD shouldn't be held to the same standards as their peers.

tumblr_lp0beyAcc21qdcel5o1_500.gif

IGAB as a song is great - the album though? Not sure what you're on. Pink Tape is one of the best albums released by a girl group in Korea in years. I can count the number of times I've gone back to listen to IGAB front to back on one hand.
yup IGAB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pink Tape...
just the song
&#128521;

Kids.

Peers? None of F(x) singles has reached the same quality/success than the best SNSD's singles, or even their average ones, you're asking them things that SM knows they don't need. That's why i was saying you're trying to find something that simply is not there.

Lazy effort? Maybe, safe would be a better way to describe it, i disagree that SNSD needed to reinvent itself after what happened last year, in fact they had to do the opposite, use their most classic guns and prove that last year was a bump in the road.

Take it easy, let them fanboy all day, we know that none of SNSD's album will be better than the 1st Japanese album.

ramyeon

Peers? None of F(x) singles has reached the same quality/success than the best SNSD's singles, or even their average ones, you're asking them things that SM knows they don't need. That's why i was saying you're trying to find something that simply is not there.
I'm still not understanding what the last two sentences here are saying.

As for comparing f(x) singles and SNSD singles. Of course they haven't had the same kind of chart success. SNSD sell on their name alone. They could record a track with their farts as the only backing track and it would sell just as well. Quality however? f(x) has had a string of quality title tracks in the past few years - not only that but for two years in a row they released solid, cohesive albums where pretty much every track was of the same or similar quality to the title track.

If you're okay with SNSD releasing boring stuff like this and getting praise for it, then fine. But I think it's just lazy.
Lazy effort? Maybe, i disagree that SNSD needed to reinvent itself after what happened l
ast year, in fact they had to do the opossite, use their most classic guns and prove that last year was a bump in the road.
Nothing classic SNSD about this release my friend.

Also, I'm definitely taking it easy don't worry. There is nothing wrong with actually discussing the quality of music released as opposed to just posting gifs of the video all day.

5Uku0g7.gif

My post on Reddit's thread about the album got downvoted into obscurity because I made a decent criticism of the album.

llehuty

Song is boring, I didn't mind the first verses, but the chorus sucks all the energy the song could have (not much, but still). Looking forward the last MV still.

Also, I'm definitely taking it easy don't worry. There is nothing wrong with actually discussing the quality of music released as opposed to just posting gifs of the video all day.

5Uku0g7.gif
Shots fired. And ramyeon, pls, for your mental health, stay away from reddit.

Peru

Dal Shabet is headlining a Pride concert in Seoul together with Gain, when will your faves be this progressive?

2009, bros

tumblr_mlscq8dUO21rtqyhso3_r1_250.gif

Guys, it's because SNSD is being killed off slowly.

They're just throwing all the crappy tracks at SNSD to use because they know they'll sell well regardless, so whats the point in giving them the best, when they can use the best for their newer groups and get them more well known.

This is why SM is the best. Sucking out every last penny they can get out of a group that is closing in on its last days.

Brilliant really.

This comeback is their most expensive.. ever? Three music videos, one of them way out of a box, staggered promotion. And it worked. They managed to build up hype, Party did really well despite not being the greatest song ever (better than Lion Heart, though).

broz0rs

I think Lionheart is the first Soshi song that I feel I have no desire to want to hear again.

It almost seem as if Red Velvet is receiving all the SM A-side tracks now among SM female artists.

Eldren

I really don't get Kisum hype.
Still salty of Tymee getting the axe in UR 1 instead of Kisum and Jimin.

Even though the lineup is, at first glance, weak, I'm still looking forward to it because Kasper can do no wrong. Although I'm already seeing the shitty edit she is going to get after how she was portrayed in SMTM4.

I really hope that they all get the same treatment and we get minimal Jimin levels of bullshit.

I'm really late to this but the reason Tymee was eliminated is because she and Jace completely flopped the teamwork challenge while Kisum and Jimin actually did what they were supposed to do: work well together. They had good chemistry. For all the hype Tymee got before the show started she didn't really do much. Let's not forget the round where she wanted to perform their ballad sitting down, which Jimin and Jolly V disagreed with, and then the judges tore them to shreds so those two performed acapella verses they'd smartly prepared in advance.

I still say people were too harsh on Jimin. She didn't do anything with San E. He was thirsting over her from the very beginning but she dad-zoned him in like episode 1. Not her fault he was being a creep. But at the end of the day, Jimin had the best and most successful single from the whole show so I'm happy. (Also Kisum's Superstar is brilliant, she sounds so good on that track.)

-----

Anyway, I'm quite surprised that I kind of enjoy Lion Heart. I mean, it doesn't come anywhere near their best efforts, but I think it's pretty good. Fun choreo, nice visuals, and the songs themselves aren't that bad. I still reckon You Think will be superior though.
Party is still trash, Check remains superior

luso

Lion Heart, I like the chorus but the build up until there is unremarkable. It's still pleasant.
MV is a mix of IGAB and My Oh My... It's a visual slayage but the blatant product placement (which at least means some good bucks) and bad oppa stuff is cringe worthy. Waiting for (gritty sequel?) 'You Think'.

Fire Alarm is a mess.
Green light is much better and probably my favourite.
Paradise is also decent even if doesn't stands out much.
Bump It is too inconsistent for my taste. Still ok though.

BTW a Japanese album is expected still this year.

roaSone

As a sone for years myself, I'm kinda disappointed aswell so far.

Lion Heart is okay but it's definitely not a song to listen on repeat.
Party was just your random generic summer song, so I'll pass on that.
Fire Alarm is decent, could be better if it was more balanced.
Green Light is a good filler.
Paradise has its charms but the overall feeling is still quite bland.
Bump It is by far the best to me.

I'm looking forward to the next part and hoping for better stuff !

Indignate

Can you guys point me to good SNSD? I feel bad not liking them cuz Gee was the first Kpop song I ever heard and ultimately what got me into the genre.

Loci

Them not recording their instrumentals in the studio was super lame. And I saw one of their lives where for 5 seconds they each did a stupidly simple solo. The rest was very boring. Yubin was rocking the drums tho. Everyone else bringing her down.

This is pretty much accurate.

Half-assed dancing while holding instruments you don't even use just looks stupid and awkward.
Those live performances are pretty much forgettable.
except Yubin

Peru

The Sketchbook performances were great and hearing their old songs in band version (by the girls themselvs) a lot of fun.

tumblr_nt9u7qzWv41rlzlwyo2_400.png

Loci

LOL this fucking squat move

Yoona looks amazing. I wanna ride that very train now
Sooyoung too
Tiffany should have left instead of Jessica
Sunny looks terrible

Song's better than the teaser but still whatever

Eldren

Jace is fine as a studio rapper. She's just awkward as fuck on stage and has no charisma or presence at all.

I've never heard any of her stuff but from what I know, I can't say I disagree with that.

Can you guys point me to good SNSD? I feel bad not liking them cuz Gee was the first Kpop song I ever heard and ultimately what got me into the genre.

Genie (Japanese) - The Korean version has an ugly video.
Flower Power
Paparazzi
Bad Girl - Terrible quality for an official video for some reason.
The Boys
Girls' Generation
Wake Up
Run Devil Run
Into The New World
Show! Show! Show!
Mr Taxi
You-aholic
Beautiful Stranger
Reflection
Way To Go (Himnae)
Hoot - KPopGAF's official theme song
I Got A Boy
Karma Butterfly
The Great Escape - Amazing

Hope that helps!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Watching the WG on Weekly Idol and man, Sunmi looks like she downed 20 Red Bulls and 40 cups of coffee before getting on there. Or did a few lines of coke. Girl can't stop moving. It's hilarious.

I'm still not understanding what the last two sentences here are saying.

As for comparing f(x) singles and SNSD singles. Of course they haven't had the same kind of chart success. SNSD sell on their name alone. They could record a track with their farts as the only backing track and it would sell just as well. Quality however? f(x) has had a string of quality title tracks in the past few years - not only that but for two years in a row they released solid, cohesive albums where pretty much every track was of the same or similar quality to the title track.

If you're okay with SNSD releasing boring stuff like this and getting praise for it, then fine. But I think it's just lazy.

Nothing classic SNSD about this release my friend.

5Uku0g7.gif

My post on Reddit's thread about the album got downvoted into obscurity because I made a decent criticism of the album.

You're still not understanding that SNSD does'nt need the same kind of ideas that made an F(x) album so great, they don't need that full cohesive album to get the public attention neither sales, put some good songs, make a good single, fill the rest with whatever you have in the table and that's it.

Am i ok with this? Specially in Korea? No, not at all, but i get it, it's not surprising at all if you go back and see every Korean release since their debut. Go back to their previous album, IGAB was to the majority a fantastic single, the album is random songs which mostly are boring crap.

I stopped wanting that kind of album you look for in SNSD since The Boys, it won't happen, ever. Japanese releases tho, are a whole different thing.

ramyeon

You're still not understanding that SNSD does'nt need the same kind of ideas that made an F(x) album so great, they don't need that full cohesive album to get the public attention neither sales, put some good songs, make a good single, fill the rest with whatever you have in the table and that's it.

Am i ok with this? Specially in Korea? No, not at all, but i get it, it's not surprising at all if you go back and see every Korean release since their debut. Go back to their previous album, IGAB was to the majority a fantastic single, the album is random songs which mostly are boring crap.

I stopped wanting that kind of album you look for in SNSD since The Boys, it won't happen, ever. Japanese releases tho, are a whole different thing.
I know they don't need that to sell - but it's really stupid to accept that as the status quo simply "because it's always been that way".

You don't need to tell me about their past albums, I've been following SNSD since their pre-debut days. Literally the only Korean album of theirs I can listen from start to finish without getting bored is their self titled/Baby Baby repackage. And that's mostly due to nostalgia.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise them for continuing to release lazy stuff. You're basically saying to just shut up and not say anything because that's the way it's always been. That's such a silly way to think.

I know they don't need that to sell - but it's really stupid to accept that as the status quo simply "because it's always been that way".

You don't need to tell me about their past albums, I've been following SNSD since their pre-debut days. Literally the only Korean album of theirs I can listen from start to finish without getting bored is their self titled/Baby Baby repackage. And that's mostly due to nostalgia.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to criticise them for continuing to release lazy stuff. You're basically saying to just shut up and not say anything because that's the way it's always been. That's such a silly way to think.

No, what i'm basically saying is that, this is SNSD we're talking about, remember?.

What you're basically saying is, why can't i ask F(x) to release a song/single like Genie?, they could, but they won't, they are not that group or musical concept.

Of course i want more from them, i won't get it in a Korean release, that's a fact.

ramyeon

How did I miss this woman all these years?! She's adorbs and funny as hell.

Sunmi army shall grow!
OG Wonder Girls was seriously something special. Finding those videos to post has led me down the rabbit hole on a nostalgia filled YouTube session and reliving all the memories. So good to have them back, although it'll never be quite the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqvP565NEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QtCOnZjVJw </3
No, what i'm basically saying is that, this is SNSD we're talking about, remember?.

What you're basically saying is, why can't i ask F(x) to release a song/single like Genie?, they could, but they won't, they are not that group or musical concept.
This is not what I'm saying at all.

I don't want them to release the same music that f(x) does. I want them to release good quality music instead of phoning in releases with B-sides that all sound the same every couple of years.

This is not what I'm saying at all.

I don't want them to release the same music that f(x) does. I want them to release good quality music instead of phoning in releases with B-sides that all sound the same every couple of years.

They won't, why do you think Eldren's list a couple posts back is made of 14 singles or promoted songs? The rest are from their 1st japanese album and some random good song of another one LMAO. That's SNSD, that works for SM, so why even bother changing it?

Don't get me wrong, we're on the same side if we're going to critize this, but, i'm not blind to the facts and already got to this conclucion years ago, this is their formula, they won't change it unless they have to.

Well, now we wait for "you think" MV to drop in a few hours. Hopefully it will deliver.

The demo already sounds good but things are missing, i'm getting a hard time thinking which parts go to who, but still.

ramyeon

They won't, why do you think Eldren's list a couple posts back is made of 14 singles or promoted songs? The rest are from their 1st japanese album and some random good song of another one LMAO. That's SNSD, that works for SM, so why even bother changing it?

Don't get me wrong, we're on the same side if we're going to critize this, but, i'm not blind to the facts and already got to this conclucion years ago, this is their formula, they won't change it unless they have to.
tumblr_inline_nsrbmlGnRx1tyudox_500.gif

I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
OG Wonder Girls was seriously something special. Finding those videos to post has led me down the rabbit hole on a nostalgia filled YouTube session and reliving all the memories. So good to have them back, although it'll never be quite the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXqvP565NEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QtCOnZjVJw </3
I've skimped out on WG material from way back when (call it Nine Muses syndrome... Not the members I know? Don't care lol). But I really need to fix this. All of these videos are hilarious.

ramyeon

I've listened to You Think twice and I still can't remember what the chorus sounds like. Not doing it for me I'm afraid. While Lion Heart was formulaic here credit is due and say it was stuck in my head all day.

The other half the album ranges from boring and forgettable (One Afternoon) to obnoxious (Show Girls). Whatever. I'll give the album another shot tomorrow morning when I wake up with the tracks in the proper full length order to see if that helps the pacing, but I don't think I'll be coming back to listen to this very much at all.

Top Bottom